Scarifar

Show Time Left on Dragons Page

So you know how you can view the time left for an egg or hatchie when you go to their individual pages? You can even do that when viewing what to trade. The thing is, you CAN'T do that when you're just viewing your eggs and hatchies on your own /dragons page. Frankly speaking, it's a bit of a pain to open up a entirely different page just to see how much time is left for an egg or hatchie to grow. 

Edited by Scarifar

18 minutes ago, Scarifar said:

So you know how you can view the time left for an egg or hatchie when you go to their individual pages? You can even do that when viewing what to trade. The thing is, you CAN'T do that when you're just viewing your eggs and hatchies on your own /dragons page. Frankly speaking, it's a bit of a pain to open up a entirely different page just to see how much time is left for an egg or hatchie to grow. 

Not going to disagree with you, that would be nice to have!

That said, I usually check the timers on eggs by opening an Incubate action page and on hatchlings by opening a Stun action page. Maybe that tactic can help you as well. ^_^

In any case, I'd love to see the timer on the "Eggs/Unfrozen Hatchlings" filter. That list tends to be manageable in size (even during holiday seasons), so it might not even need to have any data removed to make space for the timer; I think adding a second line to each critter would not inflate the page size too much. And there's a precedent for the filters resulting in a different view - "Ungrouped" has a column "Add to Group", after all. ^_^

(Heads-up, by the way: This has been suggested before, so I'm guessing this thread is going to end up merged):

Load up a fan site and they will all show right there (you can just open one up without adding anything.)

30 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Load up a fan site and they will all show right there (you can just open one up without adding anything.)

This is exactly what I do, sometimes multiple times a day if I'm impatiently waiting for multiple things to hatch/grow (like right now!). It does get to be a hassle though if you have to do it regularly. It would take much less time and be much easier if we just had a way to see all growing-things times on-scroll in one go. It doesn't necessarily have to be on the main page, I think just having it on the eggs/unfrozen hatchies filter would be enough, that's only 1 extra click and those are the only ones that have timers to begin with. 

There are many QoLs I'd rather have instead but I wouldn't mind somethine like this added. That being said, I just go to Trading -> New teleport (or any trade if I'm out of Magis) to see timers on both eggs and hatchies.

4 hours ago, HeatherMarie said:

...  It doesn't necessarily have to be on the main page, I think just having it on the eggs/unfrozen hatchies filter would be enough, that's only 1 extra click and those are the only ones that have timers to begin with. 

I really like the idea of putting it under this filter. It feels like a feature that should be easily accessible on-site, without using another BSA page as a "workaround." This would prevent the main scroll page from becoming too cluttered, while still making it easy to use.

Bumping this because I would really prefer to look at this information on DC instead of going to other websites.

My suggestion (as posted in other threads) is to display it like this when the "Eggs/Unfrozen hatchlings" filter is applied:

suggestion_filteredgrowing_timeleft.png

On the one hand - this is something that one can easily keep track of via noting the time they caught/bred the egg [ex. I waited until X:00 once for this very purpose] or as Fuzzbucket said, you can open up a fan site (though this can be a bit of a pain on mobile)

On the other hand - it would be nice to see that information right on my scroll and cut out the middle men.

TL/DR: I support this, but if not added no big deal 

Support specifically for Cat's version.

There are workarounds (go to Teleport, go to Incubate, go to a hatchery) but I don't think we should be forced to use a workaround for a trivial-to-implement, unobtrusive QoL feature.

bumping bc this is also something I'd like to see added, even if it was just on the growing things filter page it would be super helpful

there are workarounds for unfogged eggs/hatchies and fogged eggs, but not for fogged hatchies which is the main reason for my post. my scroll is currently full of fogged hatchlings for zombie attempts and it would be nice to see at a glance which ones are closest to kicking the bucket without clicking all of them individually

Support! Sure, there are (non-intuitive!) workarounds, but it's a bit silly that you have to click multiple times (or go to a different website) for such an elementary thing. Arcy's point about the BSA workarounds not helping with fogged hatchlings is very good, too.

OHH Totally support! Also it will be helpfull to track time on hidden eggs/hatchies.

I'd support it if there were a way to make it not cluttered, but I suspect it would require an entirely new page to be created--not just something that could be slapped up on the eggs/unfrozen hatchling filter.

The problem is there is literally nowhere for you to put that information if you're looking at the site on mobile.  The mock-up Confused Cat did is perfect for desktop but that space is already occupied on mobile.  And that doesn't change when you do the "eggs/unfrozen hatchlings" filter.

For those on desktop-only, this is what the mobile scroll page looks like.  (Codes blocked out obviously)

image.png.81f62c08366029e0cd7c4316f6685143.png

If you try to squish the V/UV/C together under the name/code, that'd be way too crunched to be readable with any sort of ease.  Pretty much entirely useless if you have difficulty with numbers at that point.

So!  My suggestion would be maybe an addition to the "egg limits" page which you can already get to by clicking "growing things" on your scroll, where it would list your growing stuff at the bottom maybe?  Gimme a bit to try and put an example together...

13 minutes ago, KageSora said:

I'd support it if there were a way to make it not cluttered, but I suspect it would require an entirely new page to be created--not just something that could be slapped up on the eggs/unfrozen hatchling filter.

The problem is there is literally nowhere for you to put that information if you're looking at the site on mobile.  The mock-up Confused Cat did is perfect for desktop but that space is already occupied on mobile.  And that doesn't change when you do the "eggs/unfrozen hatchlings" filter.

For those on desktop-only, this is what the mobile scroll page looks like.  (Codes blocked out obviously)

image.png.81f62c08366029e0cd7c4316f6685143.png

If you try to squish the V/UV/C together under the name/code, that'd be way too crunched to be readable with any sort of ease.  Pretty much entirely useless if you have difficulty with numbers at that point.

So!  My suggestion would be maybe an addition to the "egg limits" page which you can already get to by clicking "growing things" on your scroll, where it would list your growing stuff at the bottom maybe?  Gimme a bit to try and put an example together...

Here ^^

obraz_2022-10-22_121339202.png.34b86f2f0db1c0b34dfbb96a5e91a336.png

20 minutes ago, Erra said:

Here ^^

obraz_2022-10-22_121339202.png.34b86f2f0db1c0b34dfbb96a5e91a336.png

Unfortunately, that's way too crunched up, especially if you have a small mobile screen.  I have difficulty with numbers sometimes, and if I were trying to read the numbers like that I'd just give up and go to the hatchling's page because it's easier to read them there than like that.

For those on desktop, this is a really rough approximation of what that would look like on my mobile screen--it would actually be more crunched for me.  You can hopefully see here how the numbers might start blending together for somebody who's trying to look at it very quickly or for somebody who's got difficulty reading numbers.  With this, I have to look at it closely to see what each one means instead of just a quick glance to separate them out into their sections.

image.png.104ece134539a26909615af19f144ac5.png

I imagine it wouldn't be an issue for somebody with no trouble with number or somebody who isn't looking for "at a glance", but since the point of this suggestion is to have an "at a glance" view of different data, it doesn't make sense to me to remove the easy view of the stats.  It's not a bad idea inherently to do that, it's just not very useful for folks like me that sometimes struggle with numbers in general.

Here's a possible mock-up of a change to the "egg limits" page, though.  (Obviously you'd want the table to have better spacing than this, it's rather squished, but it's just mean to be a rough idea)

image.png.cd6f6d8dd1c2f7fa606dd2ef905523dd.png

Edited by KageSora

The limits page works MUCH better. I don't play on a mobile, but I have every sympathy with those who do !

But - we almost all (I assume) use fan sites - so we CAN so easily check there when adding and removing them.

8 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

But - we almost all (I assume) use fan sites - so we CAN so easily check there when adding and removing them.

While that's true for established users who frequent the forums (either as members or just to lurk and browse), there's still people who come across the game by seeing the dragons posted on other sites (either forum signatures or multi-game click/view exchange sites) and if they don't join/lurk on the forums they may have no idea about the DC-specific fansites and the features such as that what are offered by them.  It's also often nice to just have in-house versions of things instead of always being forced to rely on third parties to provide functions you want.

I wouldn't consider this a critical issue since those do exist for anybody who wants to go looking and all, but I can see the desire for an on-site version instead of relying on fansites for it.

1 hour ago, KageSora said:

Unfortunately, that's way too crunched up, especially if you have a small mobile screen.  I have difficulty with numbers sometimes, and if I were trying to read the numbers like that I'd just give up and go to the hatchling's page because it's easier to read them there than like that.

For those on desktop, this is a really rough approximation of what that would look like on my mobile screen--it would actually be more crunched for me.  You can hopefully see here how the numbers might start blending together for somebody who's trying to look at it very quickly or for somebody who's got difficulty reading numbers.  With this, I have to look at it closely to see what each one means instead of just a quick glance to separate them out into their sections.

image.png.104ece134539a26909615af19f144ac5.png

I imagine it wouldn't be an issue for somebody with no trouble with number or somebody who isn't looking for "at a glance", but since the point of this suggestion is to have an "at a glance" view of different data, it doesn't make sense to me to remove the easy view of the stats.  It's not a bad idea inherently to do that, it's just not very useful for folks like me that sometimes struggle with numbers in general.

Here's a possible mock-up of a change to the "egg limits" page, though.  (Obviously you'd want the table to have better spacing than this, it's rather squished, but it's just mean to be a rough idea)

image.png.cd6f6d8dd1c2f7fa606dd2ef905523dd.png

For me (and propably also for users with bigger mobile phone) its better to have this on list not limit page (action/hide button) but i think that adding both is good idea so each side can see time on oe list. Mobile versions are flexible to hid/move info to fit to every device (even some sites have desktop versions which is responsive to width change and hide or change some elements to fit to window),  so users with smaller phone dont need see time as you say.

1 hour ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Except fansites don't display fogged things. I do use that method when I have mostly unfogged growing things, but for ND experiments and zombie fodder it's not much help. Some of us have lots of those at any given time. The only fansite that shows fogged things is egg drop soup, and that one displays time left in total hours instead of days and hours, which to me is not much help (plus you need to actually add your scroll to even see what's on it).

2 hours ago, KageSora said:

I wouldn't consider this a critical issue since those do exist for anybody who wants to go looking and all, but I can see the desire for an on-site version instead of relying on fansites for it.

I can see it; I just think that there are SO many requests at the moment for things to add to pages that we are in danger of there being so much that it becomes almost useless. I am reminded of a US lawyer I know who is all in favour of massive surveillance, because the secure services already have SO much that they can't hope to check it all, so we are almost safer that way.... But I would agree that this would be one of the more useful things to see.

1 hour ago, MissK. said:

Except fansites don't display fogged things. I do use that method when I have mostly unfogged growing things, but for ND experiments and zombie fodder it's not much help. Some of us have lots of those at any given time. The only fansite that shows fogged things is egg drop soup, and that one displays time left in total hours instead of days and hours, which to me is not much help (plus you need to actually add your scroll to even see what's on it).

This is something I admit to having completely forgotten. My bad ! And Egg Drop Soup is so unreliable anyway...

7 hours ago, Erra said:

For me (and propably also for users with bigger mobile phone) its better to have this on list not limit page (action/hide button) but i think that adding both is good idea so each side can see time on oe list. Mobile versions are flexible to hid/move info to fit to every device (even some sites have desktop versions which is responsive to width change and hide or change some elements to fit to window),  so users with smaller phone dont need see time as you say.

I have a larger phone, and I still don't want this because it would clutter up my screen. Also you talk about, in other threads, how having too much info on a page creates lag for you. I don't see how you can argue to, for example, make the dragon's lineage gen visible on the dragcave.net/dragons page instead of checking individual lineages because dragons with a messy or long gen makes the lineage page lag for you, and then turn around and say that putting more and more info on a mobile page is a good thing, as if that will somehow magically happen without making the mobile page lag due to more info when loading for those of us with older phones. 

Perhaps a separate info page could be made, just like the "action log" page, but for now I would not like the mobile page to become more messy than it is now, thank you very much. 

7 minutes ago, ylangylang said:

I have a larger phone, and I still don't want this because it would clutter up my screen. Also you talk about, in other threads, how having too much info on a page creates lag for you. I don't see how you can argue to, for example, make the dragon's lineage gen visible on the dragcave.net/dragons page instead of checking individual lineages because dragons with a messy or long gen makes the lineage page lag for you, and then turn around and say that putting more and more info on a mobile page is a good thing, as if that will somehow magically happen without making the mobile page lag due to more info when loading for those of us with older phones. 

Perhaps a separate info page could be made, just like the "action log" page, but for now I would not like the mobile page to become more messy than it is now, thank you very much. 

Solution for everything: user customisation. We have for now only drg/page, but adding more options (ex i dont need Clicks & type exept gender) to choosing which column/info you want see and which not will solve this and not only this. I see this on one site (not only this but i think dc need only small customisation xD not like on anidb) nd its amazing becouse every person have diffrent priorities ^^.

27 minutes ago, Erra said:

Solution for everything: user customisation. We have for now only drg/page, but adding more options (ex i dont need Clicks & type exept gender) to choosing which column/info you want see and which not will solve this and not only this. I see this on one site (not only this but i think dc need only small customisation xD not like on anidb) nd its amazing becouse every person have diffrent priorities ^^.

Which is annoying, I like dragcave because it is comparatively simple. I don't want to be faced with an onslaught of options, a list of checkboxes would feel overwhelming for me and frankly, I would much prefer a solution where the dragon's time left would be seen on the limits page, or I would like it if the action log page would show when an egg was caught as well. 

I really don't think TJ will go for customisation. Do remember he keeps this game going for all of us for free in his spare time.

And like ylangylang., I don't want a shedload of options I have to think about. As it stands it is lovely and simple.

Almost everything that you want I already manage in my own spreadsheet. This also means I have all the dragon information I need at any time. I have over 11,000 dragons. There is no possible way every option for breeding them, sorting them, finding them could be done in the cave using options. Groups can deal with almost everything you are asking for in the many suggestions you have made about things to be added to dragon pages - time left is about the only one that can't be managed that way.