olympe

Stop Password Verification for Harmless BSAs

3 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

I would PM TJ - that really doesn't sound right. Unless you zombied it ?

I did try to revive him immediately after his death (hoping for a living revival), but he disintegrated. He is not a zombie. This is the dragon to which I am referring.

Edited by Tecca

I'm SURE he shouldn't still count. Weird. Do ask TJ. It can't hurt.

ETA what does your breed limit say ?

Edited by Fuzzbucket

2 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

ETA what does your breed limit say ?

https://dragcave.net/help/limits does not seem to list holiday breed limits except during holiday season? I only see limits for GoN and Leetle Tree.

Edit: @Ruby Eyes answered my question in TLQ about the issue at the time. Apparently dead adult dragons are still associated with your scroll. Perhaps it is different for hatchlings. I simply accepted it, and did not make a thread as she suggested. I do have one living CB Winter Magi now, and as I said I am not really doing WM lineages any more.

Back on topic: This thread's suggestion might help to prevent similar tragedies in the future. I would appreciate having a different verification action for harmful actions than non-harmful ones. Many other sites and apps give an "are you sure?" prompt only when doing something like a deletion. It helps to call attention to the drastic nature of a proposed action. Having such a reminder on everything fails to single out the truly harmful actions.

Edited by Tecca

I am very much for this, especially when I play on mobile.  It is a royal pain in the rear to do ANYTHING with my dragons when I have to use my password for every little action.  It honestly makes me not want to play at all on mobile except when necessary(i.e. release/event and I am away from home).

I am another in a household by myself.  I don't need or want protection from meddling siblings/housemates.

In a way it also encourages people to keep their passwords simple, as who would want to type in a long, complicated password for every action(if they don't save it)?  Which is its own problem in and of itself.

On 3/17/2019 at 8:10 AM, Tecca said:

Apparently dead adult dragons are still associated with your scroll.

I do believe this has been changed recently, at least for limited dragons like the GoN and holidays as I recall TJ saying he had or would have changed it in a help thread in the last year or so. Perhaps you can try again next Xmas?

Anyway I'm all for getting rid of password verification on harmless things if it means less clicks to go through for mass BSA usage. I can't open up 8 tabs simultaneously on mobile like I can on desktop, so it's a lot longer of a process if I just want to incubate and influence (not to mention precogs).

I would like to get rid of any verification, password or action, for just my scroll. I mostly play from a phone, so even copy-pasting my password is slow. Let each person decide in account settings whether they want the protection.

Personally I am willing to accept the risk of someone else messing with my scroll. I only play from my personal computer and my phone, so I’m not worried about leaving my scroll logged in somewhere. And if someone logs in as me, then they’ve already got my password, so it’s not protecting anything. I am also willing to accept the risk of making a mistake on a BSA, even a dangerous one like kill or abandon.

My favorite suggestion is Lady Lyzar’s, with a form in account settings with a row for each action or BSA, and checkboxes for password and action name. Players can choose neither, one, or both.

A simpler (but less customizable) solution that would also be nice is to group actions into risky and less risky, with separate choices for each group. I’d like both groups to have “no protection” as an option though. 

I would LOVE it if a setting to get rid of password verifications was a thing. Checkboxes for each action you want a warning for would be great, or even just the more general three settings of "password verification for all actions," "password verification for harmful actions," and "no password verifications."

I find it tiresome to have to be retyping my password every few seconds when I'm trying to pick up and drop things in the AP, especially when I'm on mobile (I am a fumble fingered texter.) I would rather take my chances with making a mistake. If I do, oh well, that's nobody's fault but my own and nobody's consequence but my own, right? I don't need a password nanny to save me from myself. I'd much rather have a smoother play experience. As long as other players could continue to have the constant password verification if that's their preference (some people do have shared computers, vindictive siblings, etc.), it would be a win-win.

@wobster109 @tjekan

If you don't have to worry about anyone else around you getting onto your DC account you can always have your internet browser store your username and password. I do that with mine and all I have to do is click on the password box and it auto-populates the password for me. No typing needed. Directions

That works great on my desktop (though I'd still appreciate not having to go through the extra step at all,) but on my phone, I get a popup every time and have to click a small x to dispel it, which is worse. I can live with the status quo, but letting me opt out of this unnecessary hoop would be super. I can't see any downsides to it. No one would be affected unless they deliberately turned the thing off.

Strong support for ability to toggle password on the actions you want.  It's certainly unnecessary for harmless actions (i.e. even if someone hacks my account and... uses fertility on some dragons... for some reason?? Oh no... literally nothing bad happens) and as someone who both bites a lot of vamps for gifts and plays a lot on mobile, the password screen is a real pain lol.

All those screenshots were done on my phone tjekan as it's how I play 90+% of the time. I have no clue what pop up you are talking about that you have to close as I've never seen it.

I wouldn't mind being able to opt out as well, I was just trying to make sure you knew you could make your mobile life on the site easier. 

I can't do screenies on my tablet as far as I know, but the pop up I get on it as well as on my desktop is "are you sure?" And comes after you enter your password.

Edited by Fuzzbucket

The popup I'm referring to comes from my phone, not DC. It says "Manage passwords" with a picture of a key and some links. There is probably some way to adjust my setting to stop interrupting me with this every time but it isnt obvious. In any case it isnt TJ's problem!

My DC point remains, though: making an opt-out option for the repeated password verification would streamline play for people who chose it and would ONLY increase risk of messing up for people who deliberately chose to assume that risk. I would like to be allowed to make that choice. I don't think it will make me any likelier to accidentally influence something the wrong way but if it does, I totally accept my own responsibility for that!

Personally i don't use a lot of BSA's, but when i do i like the security that password verification gives, just because i tend to be prone to stupid mistakes.

However as i only use harmless BSA's I'm open to whatever the majority want :)

1 hour ago, tjekan said:

The popup I'm referring to comes from my phone, not DC. It says "Manage passwords" with a picture of a key and some links. There is probably some way to adjust my setting to stop interrupting me with this every time but it isnt obvious. In any case it isnt TJ's problem!

My DC point remains, though: making an opt-out option for the repeated password verification would streamline play for people who chose it and would ONLY increase risk of messing up for people who deliberately chose to assume that risk. I would like to be allowed to make that choice. I don't think it will make me any likelier to accidentally influence something the wrong way but if it does, I totally accept my own responsibility for that!

Ah. That sounds horribly like my mobile browser which I am about to remove. Opera mini looked like a good idea, but every time I switch tabs it lots me out of wherever I was. So if I open a new tab for the biomes, I can't catch, because I have to log in again.... 

Full support for making small actions/BSAs a click-and-done process, and leaving password/ALLCAPS verification as a confirmation goose for the big stuff like Kill and Abandon.

Actually, full support for making security more flexible and customizable, if that's possible, because it seems silly to treat password verification and ALL CAPS verification like the same thing in the first place. Let users select the anti-autopilot protection of ALL CAPS on small stuff, but keep the anti-sibling protection of password protection on big stuff.

Full support for making password verification simpler, and also for selecting the security you want. 

I use the CAPS because the password does no good to help stop auto-pilot actions. 

Cheers!
C4. 

Support, again, because my new tablet has the confirmation popup show up at the bottom of the screen (so I have to type the password at the top, press enter, press confirm at the bottom, and move again to the top to do whatever else, which gets really unwieldy on a big tablet).

Personally, I'd be fine with no password protection for everything that has no chance of taking the dragon from our scroll or killing it. So, all I'd want protection for are EQ, Teleport, Kill, Bite, Expunge, Release and *maybe* abandon. Maybe.

Edited by olympe

I'm also on a device no one else touches and hate having to verify everything, whether by password or action name. Ditching it for harmless actions would be great! I'd also love an option to just turn it off, period, except maybe for kill? I'm thinking:

• require password
    • require action name

for:

• everything
    • harmful actions: list them
    • nothing
    • custom: menu like "add to groups"

How about an option to turn that password safety measures off entirely for my account? I would love it if I was able to abandon eggs without having to type in my password all the time (my tablet doesn't have a password autofill). Sure, I could make a mistake an abandon a valuable egg, but at least let me have that choice. 😛

I agree to "the user shall have the choice". However, I want to keep the password protection for me right the way it is right now. I'm happy with that.

This would pair well with the suggestion to let people re-influence their eggs.

- With this suggestion, I would be worried about mis-influencing an egg resulting in a lot of bother (to bounce it, you have to find someone to help), but allowing people to re-influence their eggs would make mistakes very easy to correct.  (And yes, mis-influencing might not actually become more common, but it sounds scary.)

- With re-influencing, I would be worried about accidentally messing up the influence on an egg I had already (correctly) influenced, but turning off password verification for regular influence would let re-influencing require more confirmation (as in, keep password verification for re-influencing, but get rid of it for regular influence.)