Starlessknight

Username change!

Pleaaaaase add user change. It can be set up so the first change is free but anything after that you have to pay with shards or something. I was surprised to find that DC doesn’t have a user change 

I'm going to confirm at this point that username changing is coming (hopefully within the next few months). It'll be part of a larger rework of the account settings area. The current plan is as follows:

* Usernames can be changed once per year.

* The old username will redirect to the new one for 30 days.

* Previously-used usernames will not be able to be reclaimed or registered by anyone.

* Simple changes (i.e. changing letter case) can be done at any time.

15 minutes ago, TJ09 said:

I'm going to confirm at this point that username changing is coming (hopefully within the next few months). It'll be part of a larger rework of the account settings area. The current plan is as follows:

* Previously-used usernames will not be able to be reclaimed or registered by anyone.

Thank you SO so much TJ

I'm so happy this will be a thing soon. I actually changed my forum name a few days ago to match my scroll name... XD

8 hours ago, TJ09 said:

c3075056fc7a80f266d78517e62bf1a8.gif

Epic, thank you!  ❤️ My scroll name is so outdated, aside DC I use that nickname on only one site now that doesn't allow username changes yet as well. Can't wait!

9 hours ago, TJ09 said:

Amazing news!!  Thank you, TJ!!!!

12 hours ago, TJ09 said:

It's been 13 years but I will finally have a capital M.

BASED

Not an issue for me, unless I decide to capitalize my d, but I know it will be a big help for many here. Thank you, TJ.

I might even capitalise mine, but that's all I'd do. My dergs know where they live - I don't want to confuse them !

I will change the caps to match my forum name. Thanks T.J. 

On 3/19/2021 at 12:29 AM, TJ09 said:

Looks like I messed up by making a placeholder account :^| big whoops

Can deleted accounts have their name claimed in the future? Seems fair to me but idk if even that would cause problems

You shouldn't ever have had more than one account - assuming you mean scroll. Scrolls never get deleted, though they can be burned - so I would assume no.

On 3/19/2021 at 3:29 AM, TJ09 said:

Good on ya for this. Never have I seen more havoc than when old names can be used by others (be it as trolls or for legitimate reasons)

While I'm not affected by this - I hope it will help others.

Thank god for this. I literally cannot link my scroll to anyone because mine was an old one that has a space in it. It got grandfathered in, but no matter how I try and parse the link, it's _impossible_ make it work! It just dead-ends. This is a very much needed feature for old timers like me! (One of my Discord friends watched with GREAT amusement as I madly attempted to link my scroll only to give up and send a dragon link and told them 'just click on the owner name.')

8 hours ago, Dragon Mage said:

Thank god for this. I literally cannot link my scroll to anyone because mine was an old one that has a space in it. It got grandfathered in, but no matter how I try and parse the link, it's _impossible_ make it work! It just dead-ends. This is a very much needed feature for old timers like me! (One of my Discord friends watched with GREAT amusement as I madly attempted to link my scroll only to give up and send a dragon link and told them 'just click on the owner name.')

Replace the space with a plus + symbol if the software doesn't automagically encode that space.

https://dragcave.net/user/Ruby+Eyes

(Personally, I think the "Use this link to share your dragons:" should encode any special characters, but I guess we're not enough users to facilitate that little convenience update)

11 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

That shouldn't be a problem - ruby eyes' scroll works OK....

Just puzzled...

Tests...

https://dragcave.net/user/Dragon Mage 

Ummm...

I don't know what to tell ya, man. XD No matter how many times I copied the very provided link in the scroll for direct linking, it wouldn't work. Maybe that's just Discord being an idjit, though! I've got no idea, just that it doesn't work!

11 hours ago, Ruby Eyes said:

Replace the space with a plus + symbol if the software doesn't automagically encode that space.

https://dragcave.net/user/Ruby+Eyes

(Personally, I think the "Use this link to share your dragons:" should encode any special characters, but I guess we're not enough users to facilitate that little convenience update)

8D thank you so much for this! I'll definitely be using this in the meantime! I thought the <> trick would work, but no dice. Thanks for this!

9 hours ago, Dragon Mage said:

I don't know what to tell ya, man. XD No matter how many times I copied the very provided link in the scroll for direct linking, it wouldn't work. Maybe that's just Discord being an idjit, though! I've got no idea, just that it doesn't work!

I don't use Discord. I imagine TJ has made sure it works in here !

48 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

I don't use Discord. I imagine TJ has made sure it works in here !

yeah, that's what I was thinking as well! It'd make sense, to have it auto-correct a grandfathered in link on the self-same forums of the site. But if I try and send that same link via Discord, Skype, email, text.... no dice. It's always 'that doesn't exist' or 'charred'. I never would've known how to manually adjust it until Ruby Eyes explained it! 

please, please, make the redirect optional. my old username has personally identifying info and even after being doxxed i was told it had to stay as is. if it redirects people, it defeats the purpose of me changing it for safety reasons.

Edited by Illyasviel

On 4/30/2021 at 1:07 PM, Illyasviel said:

please, please, make the redirect optional. my old username has personally identifying info and even after being doxxed i was told it had to stay as is. if it redirects people, it defeats the purpose of me changing it for safety reasons.

This.
I love the idea of changing my scroll name and have wanted this for a really long time since I made it sooooo long ago. Personally it's removing one more layer of my cringe-worthy baby boy years, especially since I'm a trans individual myself and the name (while not 100% feminine) only serves to remind me of those times when I desperately tried to be what everyone wanted me to be. For others though, it could be a lot more personal and definitely having the option to completely detach from an old name that could be potentially painful or something along that vein is important to me even if it doesn't directly affect me.

That said it'll be nice to have my scroll actually match my forum since most people know me as nonsensicalTrickster nowadays.