Starlessknight

Username change!

On 4/30/2021 at 7:07 PM, Illyasviel said:

please, please, make the redirect optional. my old username has personally identifying info and even after being doxxed i was told it had to stay as is. if it redirects people, it defeats the purpose of me changing it for safety reasons.

I totally get this - BUT - if we can't see who people used to be, I am going to be restricting my trading a good deal... there are a good few people I would never trade with again. Not just scamming - people who - for instance -  waiting 6 days before rejecting (yes I could have given up, but I REALLY wanted it and I had bred EXACTLY what they asked for....) I want to know who I am trading with.

6 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

I totally get this - BUT - if we can't see who people used to be, I am going to be restricting my trading a good deal... there are a good few people I would never trade with again. Not just scamming - people who - for instance -  waiting 6 days before rejecting (yes I could have given up, but I REALLY wanted it and I had bred EXACTLY what they asked for....) I want to know who I am trading with.

I'm... Sorry but I fail to see why your (or others) trading habits should be considered more important than someone being affected by something like this in real life

Thankfully, the redirect seems to only be a thing for 30 days according to TJ. I'm just going to keep my scroll hidden and limit my trading and public usage during that window, so hopefully others will be able to do the same for a "clean" break from their old user. Very excited for this whenever we get it. 

That's exactly why I said I take their point. Because I can imagine a couple of people who would take advantage but obviously getting away from stalkers is much more important.

First: If anyone was doxxed and in any danger, that should have been taken care of immediately. Safety is paramount.  (Although I am unclear why anyone would use personally identifiable info.) 

Second: Regarding scroll redirects: Unless the person was doxxed and/or being stalked, then yes, there should be scroll redirects.

I know this is happening, but IMO it makes it more difficult to keep up with friends and players that we know, breeders that we love, and traders that we trust.

I am not crazy about my scroll name, but I am keeping it so that those who know me can find me.

I will not remember my “old friends” if forum names and scroll names are changed. I will not be keeping a spreadsheet of whose names have changed. My memory isn’t great. That person’s history on DC might as well be erased.

Even one artist who changed their name I still only know as PieMaster. Could not tell you their new name.

Also: If someone changes their name, they cannot get it back: it seems at least the original owner of the name should be able to get it back. (I realize that will not be possible, but if the person has regrets and realizes no one can find them, there is no turning back.)

9 hours ago, missy_ said:

Even one artist who changed their name I still only know as PieMaster. Could not tell you their new name.

Pixxelation. Since you ask.

9 hours ago, missy_ said:

Also: If someone changes their name, they cannot get it back: it seems at least the original owner of the name should be able to get it back. (I realize that will not be possible, but if the person has regrets and realizes no one can find them, there is no turning back.)

That is sad - we should be able to get our OWN old names back...

i'm gonna miss my old user, but not that much. completely slipped my mind that underscores are a thing. thank you tj!

7 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Pixxelation. Since you ask.

That is sad - we should be able to get our OWN old names back...

My original scroll in 2008 was dragongrrl, same as my forum name, although I never successfully raised any dragons in that first attempt. My forum account remained valid but the cave account was inaccessible when I returned 2 years later.

I wish there was a way my 2010 account could be rolled into the 2008 but there wasn't any way when I asked some years ago. So dragongrrl sits empty while dragongrrrl continues to grow... :(

In either case though, I'm still the girl with the grrr!  ;)