Starlessknight

Username change!

And actually, we are focusing on the negative stuff, username changes affecting our ability to avoid people who've hurt us or screwed us over, but it's not just that. There are *tons* of usernames that I recognize after being on this game for so long, many of whom aren't on the forums at all but I always like it when I catch their offspring in the AP or find a pretty lineage from them... And of course there are 'famous' lineages like Dorkface... and certain users that you know often make such-and-such type lineages... Users who have really interesting naming schemes or descriptions or for whatever reason their scroll is simply interesting. If everyone could easily change their username with no way of knowing who they used to be, almost all of that goes away (or at least gets a lot harder to follow). I *like* looking at certain user's scrolls, or coming across a dragon and seeing a username I recognize on it's parent's pages. That's fun. It's also helpful, when you want to continue a lineage or possibly contact the user on the forums about a lineage or whatever.... I really just don't think that tons of users changing their names with no way of knowing who they used to be would actually be good or helpful for the game.

3 hours ago, DragonLady86 said:

As many people I've seen in help, over the years, request a possible name change, because stalkers/someone maliciously targeting them, I don't see the point of a name change if you can still be found from the old one.  (haven't seen it as much recently, which means players have either quit or made a new scroll themselves because the game didn't offer them protection in this way.  So, yes, you want to know if person x is also person y that was harassing you, but what if you are the victim whose trying to get away from that scenario?

Not that it affects me in way, This is the name I use everywhere, and I don't see that changing anytime soon. 

That's why I'd like to see an optional redirect from your old name. So that people who want to be easily found with their new name can be, but people who want a bit more privacy and anonymity can't be easily tracked. Even with old scroll names accessible after the name change, you'd have to find a scroll first to check what it had been in the past. So I think it would definitely still offer privacy and anonymity from the problem users. 

5 hours ago, StormWizard212 said:

That's why I'd like to see an optional redirect from your old name. So that people who want to be easily found with their new name can be, but people who want a bit more privacy and anonymity can't be easily tracked. Even with old scroll names accessible after the name change, you'd have to find a scroll first to check what it had been in the past. So I think it would definitely still offer privacy and anonymity from the problem users. 

That's a very good point. If the reason for the username change is to avoid someone, having a history available on the scroll wouldn't really negate that, because the person you are trying to avoid would first have to somehow stumble across your new username and check the history to find out it's actually you. I mean unless you are only changing a letter or two in the username, but I'd assume that if you were trying to avoid someone you would choose something totally different. 

On 02/04/2018 at 12:14 AM, HeatherMarie said:

And actually, we are focusing on the negative stuff, username changes affecting our ability to avoid people who've hurt us or screwed us over, but it's not just that. There are *tons* of usernames that I recognize after being on this game for so long, many of whom aren't on the forums at all but I always like it when I catch their offspring in the AP or find a pretty lineage from them... And of course there are 'famous' lineages like Dorkface... and certain users that you know often make such-and-such type lineages... Users who have really interesting naming schemes or descriptions or for whatever reason their scroll is simply interesting. If everyone could easily change their username with no way of knowing who they used to be, almost all of that goes away (or at least gets a lot harder to follow). I *like* looking at certain user's scrolls, or coming across a dragon and seeing a username I recognize on it's parent's pages. That's fun. It's also helpful, when you want to continue a lineage or possibly contact the user on the forums about a lineage or whatever.... I really just don't think that tons of users changing their names with no way of knowing who they used to be would actually be good or helpful for the game.

+1

And the more I Think about the redirect, the more I am against it, but still very much in favour of all the rest (permanent history esp.)

So long as previous scroll name is reserved (just in case), scroll name history is able to be seen (like the button on the forums), and we are able to change our username more than once, I wouldn’t see an issue in this being implemented

On 4/1/2018 at 5:14 PM, HeatherMarie said:

This is a great way to look at it. Yes, there are downsides, but there are also really nice reasons to have a system that doesn't completely shut out other users. We can only do so much to stop viewbombers, even with no redirect or blocking.

The reason I don't want a redirect is because yes someone can recall name if a dragon BUT you can hide scrollname on dragon pages without negatively impacting your play. Plus, no redirect and malicious person has to figure out your new scroll name first.

I support history because they gotta FIND the scroll first to see it. And it does mean that scammers can't abuse that part of the function.

Edited by DuskOfTheStars

5 hours ago, DuskOfTheStars said:

The reason I don't want a redirect is because yes someone can recall name if a dragon BUT you can hide scrollname on dragon pages without negatively impacting your play. Plus, no redirect and malicious person has to figure out your new scroll name first.

This is the reason I'd really like the option of whether to redirect or not. I think it's really important that some people achieve the anonymity they're after with a name change, if they've changed it for those reasons, but I think it would be really useful to also have the option to redirect for people who change their username for purely aesthetic reasons. 

I personally don't care about redirection or not (but since people seems to need it as an option, that would be nice too), in general terms, I'd really appreciate a "change username" option! it could be a one-time-per-year option maybe, during the site anniversary or something, I don't know. But I do think it's necessary for users who have been here for Years (2014, in my case).

On 4/1/2018 at 5:14 PM, HeatherMarie said:

This is a good point, actually.

There are negative reasons a person might want to know what a user's old username was, BUT there might be posative reasons,too, which is a valid consideration, thank you, @HeatherMarie.

At current, @TJ09 changes scroll names in cases of harassment or stalking, correct? What about if default was to have tracking, but in such cases, people could continue to petition him for a scroll change AND wiped history in order to escape their harasser. Then those who are changing for other reasons won’t be difficult to re-locate, but those who ARE trying to hide for good reasons can still do so. As far as I can tell, it would not increase TJ’s work (he already had to change names of people need them), but it would allow those who just hate their name or want some small anonymity to change their scroll names on their own. It would make viewbombing a bit more difficult, as the viewbomber would have to find the new scroll name. For this reason I’m rather uncertain on having a redirect. If I was being targeted, I’d like a reasonable chance to escape rather than being forced to hide my scroll every second I’m not online. As it is, I usually hide growing things other than trades, but sometimes I need something to hatch before bed, and while waiting on it, I fall asleep. I’m always worried someone got angry at me for not accepting a trade and became malicious. It’s pretty rampant as of late. I know some people have viewbombers stalking their scroll and have had their scrolls viewbombed within minutes of unhiding their scroll to try to hatch some eggs or what have you. It wouldn’t be perfect, being able to change their name, but it could certainly help. 

If you had something in trade they will have seen your scroll name, however old it was.

I'm a 2008 user that would love to be able to change my name. It is 10 years of baggage on a username. I would like to change it because I have an online stalker. I'm trying to leave that part of my past behind me, and that name is tied to it. It would be amazing to be free of that situation. The person doesn't play but they can see my scroll and years of dragons and it just makes me uncomfortable; I have friends I'd love to share my scroll with but I can't because I keep it hidden now. If I could just change my name then they'd lose immediate access of viewing my account. I do not link my scroll on these forums, and if I was able to change it I would just conduct trades on-site. I do not think that displaying the past username is helpful in any way and no one should be "tied" to a past name on the site. There is no reason for it; a player wants to change their name to escape the old one in most cases. If you have a problem with scammers, those situations occur off-site, so deal with it that way. Please let us have a way to change our names. I see I'm in the same boat with a few others -- the stigma of our scroll names really inhibits us to play comfortably. I believe that is way more important than the possibility of losing a few pixels. And re-directing should be opt-out IF implemented, it's the only way I could agree to it. And don't even say that making a new scroll or just stop playing are even valid options, that's just inconsiderate and rude.

A one-time change would be good enough for me. If everyone is that concerned about keeping track of people's scrolls or whatever -- which I'd like to add, if someone changes their name, you should respect that they don't want to be associated with an old identity.

I support an on-site blocking system. Blocked users cannot offer on two-way trades or claim one-way trades. If someone changes their name while on your blocklist, the old name would still display (you don't get to know their new name but that does not matter because they are blocked anyways).

Edited by Ratiasu

I really, really, really want to change my scroll name. It's the name of a person who was once an amazing feminist icon and actress, but now she's turned into an awful racist bigot and I'm truly ashamed of my scroll name. So ashamed I keep my scroll hidden 99% of the time. 

I'm +1-ing this, I would like to take on my more up-to-date internet persona as an impulsive egg, not multiple char bars

would love this. i have deleted accounts before on the basis of no username change provided for other sites, and have abandoned very old former accounts on here in the past too that had a birthname as well as a name that isnt mine anymore associated with it. now I have my current scroll, who's username I'd also love to change, yet have grown attached to a lot of dragons. would much rather be able to change my scrollname rather than stop using the account.

Visible history or no? (And: permanently visible history or no?): temporarily visible history, maybe 6 months or so. a permanently visible history of names would defeat the purpose of even changing it in the first place for me. some old usernames have deadnames in them for me, and I'd really rather that not be public info even if its not currently shown as my username

Permanent reservation of previous usernames?: I personally dont need this, but it'd help if people were worried about identity stealing in way of someone using another's old username on here.

Limits on usage would definitely be a thing (And longer than the forums): I think making it more than once but with a long limit on when you're able to do it again, like a year, sounds fine to me.

I also wouldn't mind the ability to change usernames with shards

Not what I said, I specifically said I've abandoned the two very old scrolls over the years. I have never used the other two scrolls I've since abandoned as any sort of side account or scroll. I have not touched either of them in more than eight years. I didn't think that would be a problem. If there's an option to delete or deactivate them I will, or point me to someone who can and I will let them know, but as far as I know there isn't one I could find.

Edited by mypeanutbutterspoon

Contact a mod and ask to have them burned.

Are we any closer to this being an option? It looks as though it was being proposed and likely to happen two years ago, but no further progress. I’d love to see it happen, along with a permanent/long lasting record of previous names.

I'd be happy about the option to change my scroll name and I don't really care how that option would be implemented. But I think the ideal conditions to me would be multiple name changes being possible and limits being strict enough regardless that it doesn't really ask for a permanent name history. The reasoning being that I might one day regret a new username as well, and that a name history would still allow others to see my embarrassing old scroll name.

A name history is needed unless we can more easily track by scroll number. We do need to know who did us over on trades and so on; people mustn't get out of it all by hiding under a new name.

I honestly expect this will never get implemented because players are so divided over show history/dont show history. If a change is going to make 50% of your players complain and revolt, why make any change? 

A compromise needs to happen first instead of endlessly going back and forth. Maybe history could be displayed for a certain time then disappear after?