Starlessknight

Username change!

I don't think a show history/no history divide is enough to prevent this from being implemented. Of course, I've no idea what TJ would decide on it, but I've always kind of assumed this is something that will happen eventually.

5 hours ago, DragonLady86 said:

I honestly expect this will never get implemented because players are so divided over show history/dont show history. If a change is going to make 50% of your players complain and revolt, why make any change? 

A compromise needs to happen first instead of endlessly going back and forth. Maybe history could be displayed for a certain time then disappear after?

The scroll number would be fine, and shouldn't bother anyone trying to hide the fact that they used to be called something cringeworthy.

What if we could have an in-cave blocking system (using scroll numbers instead of account names) that prevents blocked users from seeing our trades and us from seeing theirs? Just give a fake "teleport has been claimed/cancelled" message instead.

This would...

• ...prevent us from dealing with people we don't want to deal, independent of usernames - even if we see their trade on the forums or they see ours.
  • ... allow us to change our username without giving scammers the option to dodge player consequences.

16 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

A name history is needed unless we can more easily track by scroll number. We do need to know who did us over on trades and so on; people mustn't get out of it all by hiding under a new name.

In my opinion it is not because I don't see how someone could really do so in official ways, but maybe I am missing something. And I believe that there is not much room for abuse with strict limits in place. I do think that one should ideally still be able to keep an overview of who is who and believe that a temporary name history would be sufficient (or permanently visible ID numbers). But even with a permanent name history I would love to see this feature implemented.

Edited by Mewtie

We can all see our scroll numbers if we like. WE can also see those of others if we REALLY work at it. So all it would take would be for "user/whoever" to show the scroll number as well as the name.

22 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

The scroll number would be fine, and shouldn't bother anyone trying to hide the fact that they used to be called something cringeworthy.

The argument against showing past names is more so that people trying to get away from people regularly view-bombing them, rather than cringey names. The only way to prevent that is to Not show past names, or, to get rid of sickness which TJ is very against. You're not wrong about the scroll numbers but it'd have to not show the new names to avoid that. Block the numbers and don't show the updated names seems to be the only real compromise we can make between harassing/stalking and avoiding.

As far as I can see. almost everyone who has asked for this simply wants to get rid of names they wish they had never used. I believe on at least one occasion TJ himself has - shall we say - sorted out a genuine stalking issue. Changing names to avoid viewbombing is never going to stop that.

I don't see how you can "not show the updated names" - if people want a new name, that is the name they want people to see. And how is blocking the numbers going to help people who want to see who they are dealing with ? I don't actually get what you mean here.

Basically what I mean is if you block someone with the scroll number 12345 when you look at your block list it shows that, not whatever their scroll name is. Or it shows the numbers and the name you blocked them under.

OH ! That works fine for me; I thought you meant block it from view.

Potentially: make scroll numbers visible, but make it not possible to use the scroll number to get to the person's scroll. This way you can use a username from the hub to cross-reference (unless their scroll is hidden, in which case the number wouldn't have helped you anyway) but a stalker can't use the number to stalk or bomb.

Just found this now, I would love to be able to change my old scroll name - especially due to the unintentional innuendo it has in English (which I wasn't aware of at the time of creation...)

Please make this an option!

Add me to the list of people who would like to change my scroll name... I stupidly assumed the name I wanted would be taken, so I used a shortened version.  Then I found out the version I really wanted was available, but there was no way to change.  😕 

Now I think it's been used by somebody who either never even used it, or abandoned all their dragons and quit a decade ago, but if name changes were an option I could have changed it way back then and had the name I wanted all along!

For me at least I don't really have any particular concerns about people being able to connect my old name with my new name, since I want renaming for personal/esthetic reasons and not because I'm having any kind of conflict with other user/s.

it's been a long time due for this. i've grown into my name i guess, but if i had the option to change it, i'd really want to! i can understand the concerns some people have for tracking scammers, but again, there should be a blocking system in place then if that's the problem. if i change my username, its because i dont want people to see that name i used. 

Personally, I'd prefer a "trade-blocking" system be implemented, and then some time after that, username changes. I recently got scammed in a trade and I know that I would never want to trade with this user again, but the only thing that really enforces that is me declining every time I see their username. A system that lets us set up users that cannot see/offer/whatever on our trades would be appreciated, and though it's really not necessary, it would be nice to have before Username Changes were implemented.

But honestly, even if it doesn't, that's fine. I just want to be able to change my scroll name XD

As someone who’s been on the site since 2009, I would do almost anything to change my scroll name. I’d pay shards, I’d be limited to only one change... I just want to change it so badly. 

100% support for name changing. 

Trouble is - as soon as there was ONE, there'd be people who regretted their SECOND name, and then...

I feel like it should be worth bringing up that some people might have old usernames they dislike other than for "cringe" reasons and would not like to be associated with them for a number of serious personal reasons.
For example, my scroll name was made when I was young and has my first, legal name in it. I've since come out as non-binary and don't really want to be associated with my legal name online.
I'm at least lucky in that my name isn't something that bothers me enough to cause me pain by association, but I know other trans people who would be upset to be associated with their dead names and wouldn't want to be permanently associated with those names. 

Tbh this is the only site I've been on so far that doesn't allow name changing. Even Sony, who I thought would never let us change our PSN name has finally let us do that...lol. Even if we have to pay after the first name change. So I do support this even if I'm not very interested in it myself. This just seems like an outdated function but I don't know what exactly all the code that needs to be changed for it so I'm saying that with that ignorance in mind.

I'm in the 'username causes dysphoria' boat and I'd really like to jump ship.

I don't think there's a need to restrict it to only one name change, but if that'll get us in the door for name changes I'm for it.

We do need a way to track players, to make sure we don't deal with someone who has already scammed us. Scroll numbers would be one way.

1 hour ago, Fuzzbucket said:

We do need a way to track players, to make sure we don't deal with someone who has already scammed us. Scroll numbers would be one way.

Honestly, I do not see that as a big issue. On dragcave itself, it is not really possible to "scam" someone who pays even a tiny bit of attention to what they're doing.

The only way to get scammed properly is using IOUs, really, and to do that, you need some sort of offsite communication, e.g. this forum - where you *can* already see past names.

I would definitely want some way to know who a changed-username actually is. Whether or not 'scamming' is the proper term, there are definitely users I avoid doing trades with, and in general I think it's just a good idea to know who users actually are? There are a ton of usernames that I recognize when I look at lineages grabbed from the AP or whatever, a ton of usernames that are familiar in either a positive or negative way. Personally I feel like the experience of the game itself, as a long-time player, would change a bit if suddenly a ton of users are unrecognizable and unidentifiable. 

Thanks, HeatherMarie - my view precisely.

I don't have any need to change my username, but I see no reason to not support people getting to change their usernames. I'm all for the chance for people to change their usernames if they wish.