Jazeki

Separate Holiday AP During Holiday Season

I've seen a lot of support for this idea or related ones and after a bit of thought.....

I'm against this. Two reasons. First of all, it's not honestly that bad. Even if you're 0% interested in looking at the holiday AP, that's only 3 weeks in the year, there's really no need for a workaround. Personally I'm way more annoyed when a user-generated AP wall clogs up the AP for 12 hours with literally only one breed. Secondly, and most importantly: we would gain nothing new (same old AP as the rest of the year), however we would lose something. We would lose the post-holiday AP wall break and to me, that's quite unique and also the most fun I've had hunting the AP. Suddenly you've got all these extremely low-time eggs of super-varied breeds (much less bias towards cave-blockers than usual) and there are so many of them that for once everyone has a fair chance at grabbing a few nice things, esp. since most of them are pretty insta-hatch in any ER so you can really fill up your scroll with goodies. It's a bit like an easter egg rush, and I would be truly sad if that were to disappear.

And for those who are worried about their eggs dying behind the holiday wall.... You know it's going to be there, just don't breed anything you don't intend to keep for a week.

Edited by Aalbiel

The holiday filled AP actually lasts A LOT longer than a week. Just saying.

I'm kinda with @Aalbiel on this. I really don't see a need for an entirely separate AP during, what, maybe 6-8 weeks at most out of the whole year? Seems like an awful lot of work (coding wise) and pressure on the site for such a very short amount of time out of the whole year. And what about the random low time holiday hatchies that show up? Would the AP have to just sit empty until every single holiday dragon has grown up? More pressure on the site to know when everything has grown so the AP could close until the next holiday.

This is just my opinion. If TJ could figure a way to do this, more power to him and I know a lot of players would enjoy it. He's managed the extra holiday biome, after all. I certainly wouldn't complain about this being added. But I also don't see it as being super necessary and I won't lose any sleep over whether or not it ever gets added. (In fact I probably won't even think about it again after I post this comment LOL!)

I guess you could consider me neutral? I don't support it, but my feathers won't be ruffled if it's added. So there's my two cents. :P

3 hours ago, Aalbiel said:

I've seen a lot of support for this idea or related ones and after a bit of thought.....

I'm against this. Two reasons. First of all, it's not honestly that bad. Even if you're 0% interested in looking at the holiday AP, that's only 3 weeks in the year, there's really no need for a workaround. Personally I'm way more annoyed when a user-generated AP wall clogs up the AP for 12 hours with literally only one breed. Secondly, and most importantly: we would gain nothing new (same old AP as the rest of the year), however we would lose something. We would lose the post-holiday AP wall break and to me, that's quite unique and also the most fun I've had hunting the AP. Suddenly you've got all these extremely low-time eggs of super-varied breeds (much less bias towards cave-blockers than usual) and there are so many of them that for once everyone has a fair chance at grabbing a few nice things, esp. since most of them are pretty insta-hatch in any ER so you can really fill up your scroll with goodies. It's a bit like an easter egg rush, and I would be truly sad if that were to disappear.

And for those who are worried about their eggs dying behind the holiday wall.... You know it's going to be there, just don't breed anything you don't intend to keep for a week.

It confuses me a little that you say you are more annoyed with a 12-hour AP wall that you don't like then with an AP wall that lasts *well* over a *week*. Sure the mass-breed AP walls can get annoying, but none of them last anywhere near the amount of time the holidays walls last, and when you aren't interested in collecting holidays it feels exactly the same annoyance-wise, just for a *lot* longer.

I personally don't see it as 'we would gain nothing new', because while we may not gain any actual 'new' eggs out of it, we would certainly gain a *lot* in enjoyment and productive playing. For users who have their fill of old holidays, it's very very frustrating to not be able to hunt the AP at all for well over a week. Those players have very little to do during that time, especially if (like me) they don't really care for CBs so don't want to hunt the biomes. Having an AP of regular eggs like normal during the holidays would mean those players wouldn't have to be frustrated or just walk away from the game for a week or more or put their catching plans on hold for over a week. 

Of course I can't speak for TJ, but if he's willing to code a separate holiday biome that drops special limited-edition eggs, I don't see why it would be so much harder to code a separate AP that shows the normal eggs that the regular AP always shows. Yes, we would lose the very-low-timed regular eggs that show up when the holiday wall breaks, but honestly I'd much rather have a way to hunt regularly the whole week then have that hour or two of super-low-time eggs.

An alternative, perhaps, would be for TJ to stall views on non-holiday eggs until the end of the holiday season.

On 1/17/2018 at 11:41 AM, angelicdragonpuppy said:

Oh lol, I thought this suggestion was already a thing! Forgot the other one is just for a single LINE of non-holidays, which I think would make the AP too cluttered.

But yes, support. There’s clearly already a way for the cave to tell what holiday breeds are (because they get sent to the front of the wall), so it should be easy to seperate them.

Are you sure? I just figured almost everyone was basically only breeding holidays for the week before and that's where you get stuck with that wall because they've all reached that ER point pretty much at the same time and in bulk. Or do we get that wall first day of holiday breeding?

Holidays always take priority, so yes, it happens on the first day of breeding.

Support, Its sad when eggs die due to being behind the holiday wall

On 2/27/2018 at 11:44 PM, Fuzzbucket said:

An alternative, perhaps, would be for TJ to stall views on non-holiday eggs until the end of the holiday season.

I think this would be a way more interesting alternative, tbh!

On 2/27/2018 at 3:44 PM, Fuzzbucket said:

I'm not sure I understand this? What would this accomplish? The reason I want a separate holiday AP is so people who aren't interested in collecting tons of holidays will still be able to AP-hunt like normal and not have to avoid the AP for over a week. I'm not sure I understand what stalling views would accomplish... Or even what it means, really. 

This was a response to the OMG they DIE side of things.

1 minute ago, Fuzzbucket said:

This was a response to the OMG they DIE side of things.

But stalling views on them won't keep them from dying. Maybe stalling their timer instead?

I think that may have been part of what I meant, kinda !

I would like a holiday AP until the last holiday egg has been picked up.

Anything holiday-ish that gets abandoned afterwards can go to the regular AP - a few stray eggs won't dominate everything else anymore.

+1

That would really help me not fill up with too much holiday dragons. I tend to get a little lost in the moment and by the end of the holiday I have way more than I ever intended to. :D

2 hours ago, Ruby Eyes said:

I would like a holiday AP until the last holiday egg has been picked up.

Anything holiday-ish that gets abandoned afterwards can go to the regular AP - a few stray eggs won't dominate everything else anymore.

Thanks for expressing my opionion. :) 100% in favor.

Slightly alternate suggestion: 

All non-holiday eggs with less than 24 hours left get bumped to the front of the AP for people to grab. I've seen eggs with less time than that in the AP, but they don't last longer than half a second because someone invariably goes "OOH" and grabs them. That way, the post-wall rush of low-time eggs is still there, lots of 2-day and 3-day ones, but eggs don't die from being trapped back there. 

56 minutes ago, Fishkeeper said:

All non-holiday eggs with less than 24 hours left get bumped to the front of the AP for people to grab. I've seen eggs with less time than that in the AP, but they don't last longer than half a second because someone invariably goes "OOH" and grabs them. That way, the post-wall rush of low-time eggs is still there, lots of 2-day and 3-day ones, but eggs don't die from being trapped back there. 

I really like this idea! It would not do much to help people who want to hunt for non-holiday eggs, though. There would be no non-holiday eggs showing for most of the holiday breeding week. Also, as you say, any that did appear would be snatched up in a nano-second. It does address my major concern, though, of eggs dying behind the wall.

Also, eggs at 3 days or less aren't influencable anymore. I'd prefer two separate APs.

Hmm, what if the AP was only up for the one week where holidays were breedable?  That way, we wouldn't lose the wall of APs, coding it would probably much simpler (something like the Holiday biome?  I don't know much about coding lol), but eggs would still be available and more eggs could be saved from death.  After, all eggs will be thrown into the same AP with the same coding as now, putting holiday eggs before non-holiday eggs.  

2 hours ago, Fishkeeper said:

That's great for the 'don't want eggs to die' part of the suggestion, but it does nothing for all the people who want a separate holiday AP because they want the ability to hunt a normal AP during the holidays. Non-holiday eggs in the AP won't get below 24 hours until the very end of the holiday AP wall, so for most of that time the issue will remain of not being able to hunt the AP for 'normal' breeds at all. For people who mostly AP-hunt instead of biome-hunt, that's a rather big issue when they can't hunt normally at all for a full week or more.

2 hours ago, Draconiusultamius said:

Hmm, what if the AP was only up for the one week where holidays were breedable?  That way, we wouldn't lose the wall of APs, coding it would probably much simpler (something like the Holiday biome?  I don't know much about coding lol), but eggs would still be available and more eggs could be saved from death.  After, all eggs will be thrown into the same AP with the same coding as now, putting holiday eggs before non-holiday eggs.  

I imagined that the holiday AP would be available for the length of holiday festivities regarding breeding and the holiday drop 

18 hours ago, Jazeki said:

I imagined that the holiday AP would be available for the length of holiday festivities regarding breeding and the holiday drop 

I'd add a couple of extra days to that. Because, even if the breeding season for Halloween lasts until Nov. 1st (or 2nd?), bred holiday eggs can still clog the AP for up to a week. 

So, overall, I'd suggest to keep a separate holiday AP during the whole breeding season and after - for as long as there are eggs in there. If - even for a couple of seconds - there isn't a single egg left, the holiday AP should be closed and all remaining holiday eggs getting abandoned should go to the regular AP, according to their timer. This way, as long as the one AP is blocked exclusively by holidays, there'd be still a place to hunt for regular eggs. Even if someone decides to abandon their holiday egg later on, it will end up in the regular AP - as a surprise treat for those who're still looking.

I agree @olympe and am inclined to lean towards it being available until the last Halloween breed egg hatches, but it really comes down to TJ deciding how long the extra AP would last. I think it would be at 00:00 November 1 and then everything else would go back to the regular AP.

4 minutes ago, Jazeki said:

and then everything else would go back to the regular AP.

It would need to be without any priority for holiday eggs then though.