Jazeki

Separate Holiday AP During Holiday Season

support idk why it takes so long to implement it into game.. not everyone collects holiday lineages other eggs die and if walls are a problem even if people ignore that biome they will die eventually and be gone

I hate walls in general, but a holiday wall is different. It's special in that once these eggs are gone, it will be a whole year until we can get one again. During the Halloween walls I avidly hunt Black Marrows and hate to see that wall go. I can stay excited no matter how long it lasts.  The other holidays, not so much.  Still, I can stretch my patience for them. 

I think we're fine just the way things are now.

20 minutes ago, Stormcaller said:

I avidly hunt Black Marrows and hate to see that wall go.

This suggestion is not suggesting the Holiday wall goes. Not by any means. This suggestion asks that there be two APs - one for all the Holiday breeds, and one for all other non-Holiday breeds, that usually die and go unseen throughout the holiday season. With this suggestion in play, you could hunt in the Holiday AP to your heart's content, but you could also switch to a separate AP where you can see non-Holiday stuff. And a lot of people would appreciate that.

5 hours ago, RealWilliamShakespeare said:

This suggestion is not suggesting the Holiday wall goes. Not by any means.

That wasn't my suggestion at all.  The point I made was that  I do not support the idea of having two APs going at the same time.  What I actually said was, "I think we're fine just the way things are now."

I think a line (or two ?) of non holidays at the bottom of the AP page could be nice. Not a whole separate AP though. But I am OK with it the way it is, to be honest.

4 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

I think a line (or two ?) of non holidays at the bottom of the AP page could be nice. Not a whole separate AP though. But I am OK with it the way it is, to be honest.

It would be nice, but I'd be more concerned about it slowing the process of rehoming all those holiday eggs. It would be a big distraction and would take egg slots away from needy holiday eggs.

I don't understand how people are against regular walls but fine with a forced holiday wall when holiday walls are at minimum a week and a half of the same 10 breeds over and over. For 3 whole days I don't even have the option of hunting in the cave! No massbreeder, no matter how dedicated, could possibly restrict my gameplay as much as the way the holiday AP is currently set up. Literally any option to hunt in the regular AP would be an improvement.

Just now, Stormcaller said:

It would be nice, but I'd be more concerned about it slowing the process of rehoming all those holiday eggs. It would be a big distraction and would take egg slots away from needy holiday eggs.

Great, what about the players who don't grab anything other than CB dragons, or only want a few of each breed, or just don't like holidays because of their restrictions? Is it really fair to force people who don't want any more holidays to keep staring at the same eggs for over a week just because they might die if they get slightly less attention?

The regular AP eggs are also needy and just die the way holidays are set up. If the holiday AP can't survive without forcing everyone to take eggs from it perhaps there's a problem the way eggs are being generated.

Yeah, I don't much care for building holiday lineages, so most holidays my scroll ends up looking like this. I'd think y'all would want me and my vampires distracted. XD

To me, the holiday walls are special. They happen once per year (well 3 times w Val and Hal  in there) There's a lot of variety within the wall which is a lot different than a one-breed wall.

That said, I realize others don't love the holiday stuff as much as me, so making a holiday specific AP like the holiday specific biome would be neat, AS LONG AS it didn't lag everything down worse than the lag that already happens. I have the worst internet in the world and have increased difficulty catching stuff now.

6 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Hi, Fuzz. That's a separate thread here: 

2 hours ago, Stormcaller said:

I doubt that's going to be a problem. People who don't want more holiday eggs are probably not going to grab them because there's nothing else for them to grab. So it wouldn't make much of a difference. And if it did - all the better for the people who actually want to grab as many holiday eggs as they can!

In other words: No matter how you see it, a separate holiday AP *or* 1-2 lines of non-holiday eggs in the AP will be a good thing for everyone. Those who want more holidays for themselves (if we're lucky, although I still doubt it's going to make much of a difference), and those who don't want more holiday eggs and prefer regular breeds.

Of course, the wall of extremely low-time eggs after the holiday wall will be gone for good - but considering I support a way to do away with one-breed walls in the AP despite low-time eggs being the result of those, it'd be weird for me to use this argument against a change.

Edited by olympe

1 hour ago, Jazeki said:

Hi, Fuzz. That's a separate thread here: 

Sure, but as something preferable in my mind to the separate page suggestion, it merited a mention. (I believe I am in that thread already !)

ETA Indeed I am and I have now put a link from there to here, as there were people there who wanted a separate page - and TJ is cited there as saying no.

Edited by Fuzzbucket

I love lineaged holiday eggs, I grab as many as I can. I wish they wouldn't stop dropping until the next holiday BUT every player has different scroll goals and it can be really burdensome to those who don't need anymore lineaged holidays to have to wait until they are all gone so I give full support for a second  AP with non holidays during the holidays. I don't see any reason not to and it can only enhance gameplay.

7 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

ETA Indeed I am and I have now put a link from there to here, as there were people there who wanted a separate page - and TJ is cited there as saying no.

Thank you for the heads up, but until TJ posts in this thread/locks it, I think people are ok to keep discussing. 

Oh sure, but as you wanted people to stop mentioning it here... ;)

You and I are on the same page in terms of what to discuss where -  except that we disagree about solutions ! :lol: 

Great minds think alike 😄 

ETA: I was thinking the holiday AP would only be present during the holiday breeding season through the last day of CB drops, but I'm not sure how that would help what happens after the holidays end. 

Edited by Jazeki

All we need is... (sorry, not here !)

But seriously - it will take more than a second AP at any time, and the holiday periods are a relatively minor issue overall.

On 1/14/2020 at 5:39 PM, Fuzzbucket said:

No. He just said he didn't think change was necessary - but that was like 5 years and 15 holiday breeds ago. As situations change, lengths of after-holiday walls increase, so might people change their mind?

I's still much rather have a single line of non-holidays.

I don't think a separate holiday AP would violate TJ's mandate that all hunter should see the same screen, any more than the different biomes do. If you know you're going to a specific place to see a specific thing and everyone else who goes there sees the same thing as you do, it's still uniform.

However, a single line of non-holiday eggs would also work.

My goal would be to unbore the people who don't like holiday eggs enough that we can expand holiday breeding seasons, because there are so many breeds right now that it's impossible to do anything with a single week to continue each lineage in. If we had a way for people to access non-holiday eggs in the AP, we could have a longer breeding season without inconveniencing anyone else.

4 hours ago, tjekan said:

I don't think a separate holiday AP would violate TJ's mandate that all hunter should see the same screen, any more than the different biomes do. If you know you're going to a specific place to see a specific thing and everyone else who goes there sees the same thing as you do, it's still uniform.

However, a single line of non-holiday eggs would also work.

My goal would be to unbore the people who don't like holiday eggs enough that we can expand holiday breeding seasons, because there are so many breeds right now that it's impossible to do anything with a single week to continue each lineage in. If we had a way for people to access non-holiday eggs in the AP, we could have a longer breeding season without inconveniencing anyone else.

Amen to that. It would also prevent the "Oh no, my eggs are dying in the AP! :( 😭" posts, too.

I think a separate AP for holiday breeding should please those who want to breed and gift holiday eggs/hatchies AND those don't collect/breed holiday lines, as they could still have the regular AP to send eggs/hatchies to and get eggs/hatchies from. 

I support this suggestion, especially since it would work well in tandem with my suggestion of extending the holiday breeding period. :D

On 9/20/2020 at 4:39 PM, olympe said:

Amen to that. It would also prevent the "Oh no, my eggs are dying in the AP! :( 😭" posts, too.

I've seen that with Holiday eggs no one wants (looking at you Snow Angels... would be so much better for them if players could get the alternate patterns from bred Snow Angel's only)

That aside, I like any suggestion that keeps the AP open for regular and holiday eggs (going to be a sucker this year at christmas for Starsingers in the Hope's of finding new blood for the lineage I'm working on). I've done my part in the past 'clearing' holiday walls...but it still would be nice to find variety (such as the non-holiday mate bred just out of season)

Edited by ShorahNagi