SaberToothMC

EATW doesn't exactly *have* to die

The owner of EATW.net said the domain would be up for grabs soon, then someone could either use it for malice... or something could be done.

Look, I spend my time learning stuff off the internet while shuffling a deck of cars in fun ways as a hobby... My web design skill isn't amazing, but I have a bit.

I'm saying that EATW died because some ****** decided to viewbomb the site with an ungodly amount of bots, but that doesn't mean it has to be destroyed.

While the owner may not continue the idea of EATW being around, I saw the reaction from other people who had used the site... You guys have a lot of nostalgia for something that trades your dragons around... though I admit I miss scrolling through the trades.

back to my point...

If the same community that expressed sorrow of EATW's death were to band together and reform the site somewhat, I bet you guy could do some awesome stuff.

I've seen animators, fan artists, role players, and the occasion computer nerd on this site... So how about instead of being upset, everyone gets to work on fixing things a bit :P

Check out this image by DuskoftheDerps (https://forums.dragcave.net/profile/198090-duskofthederps/)

5a58512d5036f_RIPEATW.thumb.jpg.f9c07b7521e0c84fbfd118d5196dd62c.jpg

This awesome dude putting together every dragon image code for ease of trading: 

Creators of Allure of ND's, Dragon Breeders Cave, Dragon Cave Mansion, The Hatchling Club, Egg drop soup, and EATW all did some awesome stuff too. This community gets some **** done when you want to.

EDIT: soooooo how does one go about buying domains. . . 

Edited by SaberToothMC
Motivation

While I know next to nothing about computers and coding, nor am I a good artist, I would like to see a new phoenix rise from the ashes of defeat.

10 minutes ago, Syiren said:

While I know next to nothing about computers and coding, nor am I a good artist, I would like to see a new phoenix rise from the ashes of defeat.

Indeed

I'm not a good artist, but I'm... kind of okay at coding? I've done a bit of coding it professionally (though what I've done is very different from egg clicksites). And I've made As in all my web development courses :P

I'm not sure what I could do, but I'd love to help if I could!

I’m an “okay” digital artist, I consider myself decent. There’s probably someone around who’s better than me, but I’d love to help if I can!

It would definitely be great if EATW could be resurrected.

Not sure, but maybe @Ext3h might be willing to share (some of) the old code to get it started, if any people with decent web-coding abilities (or the will and time to learn this) step up to say they actually want to tackle this?

And actaully, a shared project among a handful of developers might be beneficial, to brainstorm ideas and also to distribute the work among more shoulders...

Maybe they could even find a way to sort out whatever the issue with TJ was that resulted in EATW not being alowed to advertise on this forum... *dreams*

(I'm pretty sure that the finances for running the site would be easier to find than the coding abilities + willingness + time.)

23 minutes ago, Lastalda said:

Maybe they could even find a way to sort out whatever the issue with TJ was that resulted in EATW not being alowed to advertise on this forum... *dreams*

The issue with TJ was the owner himself, actually. The dispute between the two has long been deleted, which is probably for the best.

As long as the resurrected EatW (rEatW :D) doesn't violate the TOS, things should work okay like with any other fansite. As soon as the domain is grabbed and the webspace exists, the API access could be requested just like for any other fansite, I think.

What features do you think you would put on that rEatW?

Peeps, this has  been addressed in the fansite section. Currently, @StarSea is working to add some of the features like the market and a hatchery to their site. 

Of course, someone could take over the EATW domain and do like they did with Allure of Neglected Dragons, but we don't really need the domain to be able to move forward and make a new site. 

That doesn't sound like the thing *I'm* missing the most is actually going to be addressed by HoB, which is the scroll checker that lists all CB dragons as well as CB dragons without offspring and pairs with most offspring.

Also, the inbred checker that uses the massview feature of the API (the only way to check if an egg is in AP limbo right now).

1 minute ago, Ruby Eyes said:

That doesn't sound like the thing *I'm* missing the most is actually going to be addressed by HoB, which is the scroll checker that lists all CB dragons as well as CB dragons without offspring and pairs with most offspring.

Also, the inbred checker that uses the massview feature of the API (the only way to check if an egg is in AP limbo right now).

I'm missing those tools most, especially the scrol-wide pairs offspring lister and counter

Right now HoB also doesn't have a working hatchery. It's just a lineage tool. It might not hurt to have both, especially if there will be multiple people working on the new EATW, which would result in the hatchery being up sooner.

Certainly wouldn't hurt to lend all that personpower to someone who is already working on a related project, if they'd be willing to accept any?

Buying and re-routing a domain shouldn't be an issue, really.

Just throwing this out there, but my favorite feature from EATW was the ability to see how many CBs of each dragon I had. That was always a huge help with lineage projects and trying to balance out rares. I don't think any other click site had that and if that part could be saved I'd be happy with that.

if EATW does die, I am going to really sad. 

my favourite feature is how you can just leave the webpage open and it would "auto view" the eggus and hatchies. it was (besides AllureofND) my go to place to put my DC stuff.

I'ma miss it.

If someone does buy the domain and uses it like before (well, like it is now) then i'd be darn happy. good luck to you dear sir/madam.

On 1/16/2018 at 9:42 AM, Lastalda said:

It would definitely be great if EATW could be resurrected.

Not sure, but maybe @Ext3h might be willing to share (some of) the old code to get it started, if any people with decent web-coding abilities (or the will and time to learn this) step up to say they actually want to tackle this?

And actaully, a shared project among a handful of developers might be beneficial, to brainstorm ideas and also to distribute the work among more shoulders...

(I'm pretty sure that the finances for running the site would be easier to find than the coding abilities + willingness + time.)

And even if we couldn't get EATW exactly up and running again, another site with a trading API and view-all-cb's function would be pretty amazing

I do miss the Tools section of EATW quite a lot. I like looking at scroll stats :<

I wish I would have used this site more. I hope we can revive it so many tools I think I would use. 

I'm as sad as everyone else in this thread hearing that EATW had to be shut down. But I still would like to pass a word which @Ext3h had said to me: It's time to move on.

So if I may wish, I would prefer to see a brand new site rise rather than just reborn of this old lovely site. We did had many precious and invaluable memories during the past few year including making some interesting arts and translating the whole site etc. So as much as I miss the tools and functions and the most irreplaceable, this speedy hatchery, as you do, for me EATW has finally taking a long rest (or maybe now it's literally traveling around the world, since it finally doesn't need to spend every single second with countless eggs and hatchies). It were loads of works running, updating and modifying such a website and whatever has been done (by the owner) was appreciated. 

Whoever is interested in making a new website with similar or the same functions or tools is also very welcome. But why not also give it a fabulous new name and make a new start?

2hplq21.png

(Sketched by a dear friend of mine)

Edited by Shelybear
GrammarNazi appeared

I realized I'm also missing the fact that the scroll checker would show ALL codes of my adults XD

Is there any other tool that would list all my codes for easy checking? (Going through the source code of 16 pages of max. 500 dragons is a tad ... exhausting.)

Some sites have tools similar to EATW's tools:

Allure of Neglected Dragons has a Inbred Checker, Lineage Maker/Generation Counter, and Scroll Statistics & Records.

Egg Drop Soup has Scroll Statistics as well, including an auto-populating scroll signature that tells you your general scroll numbers.

And there are probably more on the other fansites, but these are ones I've used. 

What I haven't seen though is the Progeny Counter/List, Adults without Progeny List, CB Adults without Progeny List, and the Pairing List, which is what I will sorely miss because it helped me figure out who was available for pairing. 

It would be lovely if we could revive those tools, if not the entire site.

What I miss the most, besides the most excellent viewer and speedy views, is the market. I hope a market would be included in whatever site might be created...I realized after eatw was gone just how much I relied on the market. I would even be happy to donate a little bit to help.

I never really got into the market, but that was probably just my pessimism getting in the way of using something useful. XD 

Anyway, I miss the fact that we could just enter our eggs as soon as we got them and not have to worry to get them sick (as long as it wasn't a fresh and incubated prize egg).

Unfortunately, I'm not much of anything, be it artist, coder or whatever. But I think I'm at least good enough to create some small things, like icons or something.

Also, if you actually go ahead to re-create EATW, could you maybe limit the number of "people" (or bots) viewing eggs at a time to maybe 200 or so?