SaberToothMC

EATW doesn't exactly *have* to die

I'm not very good at art or coding, though I'd love to see EATW be recreated! I was sad to see that it was gone. I used it often before my hiatus.

I would love to see EATW resurrected, as it would be a big F-you to the people who brought it down in the first place. Maybe there could be a hard limit on the number of views given in future? Limiting users is a bad idea I feel, but if you had a safety net that shut down ALL views if it noticed a massive spike in traffic for a set period of time, and a back-up ratio that noticed if a particular egg was being viewbombed?

It knows how old each egg is, so if you told it 'an egg should have no more than this many views at that point in time' on a sliding scale then it could take the egg out of rotation, then put it back when it got to a lower time that meant the views it had were acceptable for it's age. Obviously eggs that require fewer views could potentially still get sick, as there is quite a wide range between old eggs like Purples and the newer GoN and Prize dragons. If you gave a GoN 7k views it wouldn't mind at all, but a Purple would probably still end up sick even at 4 days.

I may be wrong, but surely the vast bulk of the code from EATW should be usable exactly as it is - it was the way it was being used by the end-user that was the problem, and the lack of abuse safeguards. As long as the original owner has no complaints then it could be put back up as soon as somebody paid the domain fees. Perhaps crowd-funding for the initial fees, and then ask for ongoing donations or use ads? The site was very popular after all.

1 hour ago, jinglepupskye said:

It knows how old each egg is, so if you told it 'an egg should have no more than this many views at that point in time' on a sliding scale then it could take the egg out of rotation

That's actually what EatW always used to do. The attacker's botnet just managed to pile up parallel views faster than the site could react.

1 hour ago, jinglepupskye said:

As long as the original owner has no complaints then it could be put back up as soon as somebody paid the domain fees. Perhaps crowd-funding for the initial fees, and then ask for ongoing donations or use ads? The site was very popular after all.

Money will be the smallest problem here.

What will probably keep EATW from coming back anytime soon is one of these two things:

- The code must be either recreated (which would be an immense amount of work*) or obtained from Ext3h (which seems unlikely)

- Someone will have to actually do it, risk becoming the target of future attacks, keep the site running, fix it when something breaks, etc.

* In my experience, trying to do it with a team instead of just one person will not speed things up. One very good (TJ-level) programmer can get a complicated website running before a group of programmers have even finished discussing what to do, who does what, and whether or not there should be pink colored elements on the website.

On 1/19/2018 at 3:09 PM, olympe said:

I never really got into the market, but that was probably just my pessimism getting in the way of using something useful. XD 

Anyway, I miss the fact that we could just enter our eggs as soon as we got them and not have to worry to get them sick (as long as it wasn't a fresh and incubated prize egg).

Unfortunately, I'm not much of anything, be it artist, coder or whatever. But I think I'm at least good enough to create some small things, like icons or something.

Also, if you actually go ahead to re-create EATW, could you maybe limit the number of "people" (or bots) viewing eggs at a time to maybe 200 or so?

Considering what happened to the original site, something to that accord would certainly be useful. 

On 1/20/2018 at 8:03 AM, Confused Cat said:

Money will be the smallest problem here.

What will probably keep EATW from coming back anytime soon is one of these two things:

- The code must be either recreated (which would be an immense amount of work*) or obtained from Ext3h (which seems unlikely)

- Someone will have to actually do it, risk becoming the target of future attacks, keep the site running, fix it when something breaks, etc.

* In my experience, trying to do it with a team instead of just one person will not speed things up. One very good (TJ-level) programmer can get a complicated website running before a group of programmers have even finished discussing what to do, who does what, and whether or not there should be pink colored elements on the website.

Even if not using the original domain, a site with similar functionality seems to be needed to fill the void here, and I'm just saying with this post that I'd like to see EATW return, and if I wer to do something like this I'd at least base it off of EATW.

As for your two points...

Ext3h does not seem willing to give the original code, so yes... someone (or I'd) have to recreate the code of the site. An immense amount of work for anyone, you are correct. Speaking for myself, I have no life, and find it interesting to have to logic something out from scratch.

Point two... It would take a lot of work to keep EATW up and running, and deter bot attacks... You'd have to be able to get eggs out of rotation faster than the original site did when it hit a limit. To protect against attacks, perhaps using a lower limit would make it so that if eggs were bombed faster than the site could process, it could still -hopefully- get them out of rotation before they die. However that opens a whole new can of worms with how low is too low, should there be something to auto remove sick eggs/hatchies from rotation temporarily? Should you show less on the main page? How does this connect to trading... and then some things get into borderline paranoia.

A trade page would, by its nature, be vulnerable to attacks like that. You'd need to have the user select images from a preuploaded group (similar to how you could choose wanted breeds from a list on EAtW) to avoid death-by-marketplace, which would require a great deal of work to keep up with every new release.

Edited by Guillotine

Well, we could always use the question mark egg from the cave to stand in for "new release egg", and a (recognizable) hatchling shadow with a question mark (both S1 and S2) as a stand-in for "new hatchling" before adding the newest breed(s) to the marketplace options. Maybe add the new eggs and hatchlings once the adults have been revealed on site?

On 1/22/2018 at 7:01 AM, Guillotine said:

A trade page would, by its nature, be vulnerable to attacks like that. You'd need to have the user select images from a preuploaded group (similar to how you could choose wanted breeds from a list on EAtW) to avoid death-by-marketplace, which would require a great deal of work to keep up with every new release.

I imagine until I would be able to add it in full, I'd use the mystery rare egg as a mystery rare/new release

On 1/18/2018 at 6:53 AM, Shelybear said:

I'm as sad as everyone else in this thread hearing that EATW had to be shut down. But I still would like to pass a word which @Ext3h had said to me: It's time to move on.

So if I may wish, I would prefer to see a brand new site rise rather than just reborn of this old lovely site. We did had many precious and invaluable memories during the past few year including making some interesting arts and translating the whole site etc. So as much as I miss the tools and functions and the most irreplaceable, this speedy hatchery, as you do, for me EATW has finally taking a long rest (or maybe now it's literally traveling around the world, since it finally doesn't need to spend every single second with countless eggs and hatchies). It were loads of works running, updating and modifying such a website and whatever has been done (by the owner) was appreciated. 

Whoever is interested in making a new website with similar or the same functions or tools is also very welcome. But why not also give it a fabulous new name and make a new start?

2hplq21.png

(Sketched by a dear friend of mine)

Awesome sketch, and awesome point.

On 19.1.2018 at 9:09 PM, olympe said:

Anyway, I miss the fact that we could just enter our eggs as soon as we got them and not have to worry to get them sick (as long as it wasn't a fresh and incubated prize egg).

^^This. Just not incubate a fresh egg...

I also loved the automatic ER. Your eggs would still hatch even when you're not at home and couldn't put them in an ER yoursellf. That ER was also very usefull for ND experiments. I doubt I'll be able to make new NDs now. :(

And I did use the market quite a lot in my trading phase. The scroll statistics came in handy too. And I guess lots of people here on the forums had their scroll stats banner from EatW. :D

Otherwise, I'm no use when it comes to coding or art, but I can promise to use the site when something comes up. ^_^

Valleysherwood has an automatic ER, actually. Just saying.

I agree with SaberToothMC, though. Don't try to recreate - make something new.