olympe

Make eggs/hatchlings in teleports safe.

Considering all the viewbombing going on right now, I want to suggest that we get something implemented to keep our to be teleported eggs/hatchlings safe. Yes, there's ward - but it can take way longer than 6 hours for a trade to go through, same for gifts. (And, at least during holiday breeding season, all it takes is one person getting jealous over an egg and checking for its siblings to attack an egg you bred yourself.) The main problem, though, is trading combined with viewbombing. If you want to trade, you need to post in one of the trading threads - and that's where someone with malicious intent can get your egg's/hatchling's code.

I don't really care how this is to be achieved - whether by making eggs/hatchlings in teleports immune to sickness or whether to allow us to fog eggs/hatchlings in teleports (while once again making the lineage of a fogged baby viewable again) or some other measure I can't think of, as long as something is being done about it. Even extending Ward to 12 or even 24 hours, while allowing us to use it repeatedly on the same growing thing would work.

Another suggestion (just to keep everything in the first post):

13 minutes ago, LadyLyzar said:

Honestly I would make any egg/hatchling in a teleport no longer gain views or clicks until the teleport ends or is cancelled.  However, its time would still continue to decrease as normal.

Edited by olympe

I agree with this suggestion.  Honestly I would make any egg/hatchling in a teleport no longer gain views or clicks until the teleport ends or is cancelled.  However, its time would still continue to decrease as normal.

Support, especially on Lady L's thoughts about teleport preventing the accumulation of views and on the secondary suggestion of extending Ward. I think the losses seen this season are a good indicator that Ward needs to be more powerful.

Yeah, right now Ward isn't nearly powerful enough to handle actual viewbombing from what I've seen. I also agree with Teleport preventing views from accumulating; it would take a lot off of people's minds if they knew they didn't need to worry about things in trades.

8 minutes ago, LadyLyzar said:

I agree with this suggestion.  Honestly I would make any egg/hatchling in a teleport no longer gain views or clicks until the teleport ends or is cancelled.  However, its time would still continue to decrease as normal.

This would be wonderful.   Please, TJ, make it so..

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to add Lyz' suggestion to the OP (even though her post is right below). :)

I’d rather we just be able to fog things in teleport, with anyone who has the teleport link still being able to see the lineage from there.

I’d rather not have something I’m trying to trade sit in a teleport for ages and then have to get it a whole bunch of views after it doesn’t trade before I can hatch it and try again.

19 hours ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

I’d rather we just be able to fog things in teleport, with anyone who has the teleport link still being able to see the lineage from there.

I’d rather not have something I’m trying to trade sit in a teleport for ages and then have to get it a whole bunch of views after it doesn’t trade before I can hatch it and try again.

This

Alternatively I can see myself just putting a bunch of stuff in teleport instead of bothering to fog it which removes the use of fog

I'd prefer something stronger than ward being another BSA, instead of being tacked onto an existing BSA

I agree with this suggestion, was just thinking of posting something like this.

Another argument for implementing this would be that when you hide an egg that you're trading and say to "PM to trade/offer," that cuts off a group of dragon cave users from offering on the trade. I don't think this is fair or makes for a fun trading system. Some people may not want to get a forum account or maybe are younger users whose parents won't allow it, etc. and don't have a parent that uses the site. Just a thought.

Edit: Also, I really like Lady Lyzar's idea that was pinned.

Edited by coo_

On 12/20/2017 at 5:03 PM, angelicdragonpuppy said:

I have to agree with this. I would like to be able to protect my eggs in teleport when needed, but I don't always want them to go without views all that time. Especially when gifting an egg to a new player, giving them an ER egg with no views puts them at a big disadvantage in getting it hatched on time. So being able to fog and unfog eggs without breaking teleport but still letting them get some views when you can watch them, like you do with your own eggs, would be nice. People with the teleport link need to be able to see the lineage, though, even when the egg is fogged.

I am not opposed. But I am going to play devils advocate here -  my inner Starscream suggests I poke holes in this.

I'm going to go with the not fogging it while in teleport for this, I am not sure if that would work anyway - I see the value of doing it so you don't need to kill a teleport to protect it - not sure if it could make a break in the ability to see hidden stuff (through bugs)

But what I think is what is stopping someone from using their Teleport to essentially stasis lock their hatching in a protection without actively seeking a teleport partner? I don't do a lot of teleporting and it suddenly ran through my mind "Great! I can simply hide my eggs in a teleport to protect them from harm and still be able to show off my little jewels. Glee!" sure the counter goes down, but now I want to run my egg into the ER, and I kill the teleport, pop it into a er and, bobs your uncle, I've protected it in a manner that might be better than ward. And if they still could get views, its still better than ward -  and the cool down is cheap too.

So, out side of my sense of fair play, what is stopping me from using teleport as another method protect my eggs, through an abuse of a game mechanic, from view bombing or sickness from disgruntled or prankish players?

I am just putting that there as food for thought, I am not opposed to this idea - I don't want this idea broken or abused.

Edited by Starscream

@Starscream I don't really see how using Teleport in the same way as we currently use fog is "abusing" it. If anything, it becomes more costly than fog because you tie up a BSA dragon to do it.

If you read what I had written, fog is not employed, so you can still view and show off your egg -with no harm to come ot it.

Edited by Starscream

3 minutes ago, Starscream said:

If you read what I had written, fog is not employed, so you can still view and show off your egg -with no harm to come ot it.

I DID read what you had written. If you had read what I had written, you would see that I am comparing this action to using fog, not saying that we would be using fog concurrently. Being able to protect AND "show off" the growing things would come at the cost of the BSA, whereas fog - wherein the baby is hidden - has no cost whatsoever.

Edited by LibbyLishly
Predictive text hates me.

There's not really a cost to the BSA. When you cancel a teleport without using it, you get it back instantly. I guess you could make the argument that it's tied up for as long as the egg is in it, but that's hardly even a problem, honestly.

1 minute ago, Tehpikachu said:

There's not really a cost to the BSA. When you cancel a teleport without using it, you get it back instantly. I guess you could make the argument that it's tied up for as long as the egg is in it, but that's hardly even a problem, honestly.

That's really all I was saying. It's tied up. If you have enough Magi, no big deal, but that's the same for any BSA if you have enough of them. Even the cooldown doesn't matter then.

I don't see the issue with Teleport being used that way, even with no intention of actually teleporting. I mean, it's not exactly giving anyone any sort of advantage or anything... The *only* different between fogging a dragon to keep it safe and using Teleport to keep it safe is that other people can see the dragon if it's in a Teleport. So basically the only advantage is showing off your dragon, and that's... I mean, okay, so what? Is there something bad about being able to show off your dragon while also keeping it safe? I don't get why that would be a negative thing. I mean, I guess you could argue that someone with enough Magis could just use Teleport on all their growing things and then never have to worry about sickness.... But the exact same thing can be said about fog, so I don't see that as an issue. 

Yeah, that's hardly an exploit to be concerned about. If people want to use teleport as an invisible fog, let 'em, they're only impairing their own trading ability.

I think the point of Starscream's that you're missing is the question of whether or not the 'protection' stays on the egg after teleporting. If yes, then you can make teleport and cancel, thus getting a permanent protection from sickness (while still allowing view-gathering, in contrast to fog). If no, the egg might immediately get sick once it gets to another user's scroll.

@Starscream

If I misunderstood what you meant, please correct me. :)

They didn't mention anything like that from what I read... and the protection lasting after the teleport would be a bug, which would be fixed.

e: By which I mean that this suggestion is literally supposed to only affect things in a teleport. At no point has it been suggested to go beyond that, outside of generic "ugh, sickness" grumbling.

Edited by Guillotine

Well, considering Starscream's points, I think it might be best to enable fogging eggs/hatchlings in teleports while making the lineage link still viewable. Maybe once again enable viewing of lineage links for fogged stuff as a general rule? (It used to be possible a looong time ago, at least if you entered the URL manually.)

Yes, you could still show off your little ones or at least their lineages - but how much of an issue is this, anyway?

After reading though this I have to say it is rather sad people want to kill other people’s eggs being offered for trade simply to prevent others from having that sort of egg or to get back at someone. I have not ever put eggs up for public trade... but... I did notice the following this December compaired to last December, one I lost a lot of non Christmas eggs I had bred (I only usually ever end up with dead eggs because of experimenting with the BSA “earthquake” which has never ever done anything but kill my eggs... so no more of those experiments) from view bombing which was beyond weird they were not even hoopty rares... I have had to watch all CB Christmas eggs more so than any previous time period to prevent sickness. As far as I know I have not offended anyone or been a jerk, and I even randomly help people from time to time. So not sure why all my non Christmas dragons got killed off, and why it has been so hard to keep this years Christmas eggs alive regardless of breed. However if people are with intent trying to kill eggs being offered for trade then the community does need away to protect those eggs collectively from people being malicious and harshing the greater good vibe. I hope what is really happening is that the hatcheries, scrolls and trade offers are simply getting more views than normal accidentally without ill intent as the traffic is extremely high on all the sites right now. Either way we do need a solution for publicly offered trading eggs. 

Maybe away for eggs lineage to be viewable while being offered for trade without killing the eggs... A script dragon BSA? That if put on the egg it protects the egg from getting views for a specific period of time... or perhaps allows a fogged eggs lineage to be viewed but does not add to the unique views etc. 

@maratrekkan  Your eggs that died, were they in Eggs Around the World? That hatchery had a massive site-wide viewbombing which caused tons and tons of egg and hatchlings to die very fast. If your dragons were in there that's probably what caused them to die.

I'm really supportive of *any* way to protect dragons in Teleports, I don't really care how it's implemented... A BSA, being able to fog while in Teleport but still able to see lineages, whatever, I don't care. I just think this is *really* needed, especially after this holiday season's mass-viewbombing that showed that really no one is safe from dragon death unless you just keep everything fogged all the time, in which case you can't use Teleport... I think it's sort of common sense to have *something* in place so that using a site feature (Teleport) doesn't completely prevent you from protecting your dragons from outside interference.

(And before anyone posts the normal "you only want it because it would benefit you", I very rarely use Teleport at all except during holidays, I don't really trade much at all unless I happen to actually have something someone wants, which doesn't happen often! I support suggestions that will benefit the userbase as a whole, not just suggestions that benefit me.)

Edited by Marie19R