TJ09

2017-10-14 - Dragon Encyclopedia Update

HOT diggedy dog!  Since I was making such good progress on the one's already having entries, it's great that I have more to do when I've finished those!

Sinii Krai still don't have any elemental affinity listed ...

12 hours ago, perzephone said:

Are we ever going to see Leetle Trees in the Encyclopedia?

It feels incomplete somehow. The Dinos are there, the Chickens are there... no Leetle Trees.

Oohh I hadn't thought about that! Yeah, I wonder why they aren't there? It can't be just because they are non-dragons or "joke breeds", since Dinos and Chickens are in there.

Um, are the updates still being made?  I see a great lack of updated information in some of these dragons, such as the Khusa and the Sinii Kraii.  Are the previously no-desriptions all supposed to have a new description, 'cause that's what this post is telling me.

Not all dragons were updated/changed, but it seems the list in TJ's post should indicate that those specific entries had updates... Although that doesn't seem to be true for some. Some of them, like Sinii Kraii, Khusa, and Vampires, among a few others, don't seem to have any new information at all. It's possible something small was added, like elemental affinity or something, but I'm unsure if those breed's entries already showed that or not.

Cassares and caligenes were listed as edited, but I'm 99% sure their elements and everything else remain completely unchanged. Wish someone would tell us what's different! :(

Also I hate to look a gift horse in the mouth, but it's sad to see so many breeds in the encyclopedia whose spriters are still very active sitting around with no information, years after release. Especially when many got big info dumps DURING their release! ;___; 

1 hour ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

Cassares and caligenes were listed as edited, but I'm 99% sure their elements and everything else remain completely unchanged. Wish someone would tell us what's different! :(

Also I hate to look a gift horse in the mouth, but it's sad to see so many breeds in the encyclopedia whose spriters are still very active sitting around with no information, years after release. Especially when many got big info dumps DURING their release! ;___; 

Yeah, that's something I've never understood... A long time ago when I asked why more breeds didn't have encyclopedia info I was told it was because the artists hadn't written it. But almost all recent-ish releases have had the artist posting some pretty awesome information about that breed... So why can't that be added?

8 hours ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

Posted it back on the second page, but Caligenes and Cassares (along with Sinii Krai, Tetras & Vampires) didn't get updated- it's possible their updates are being rolled out. And for others who mentioned it, no elemental affinities were not updated on these either. Those who had entries and are listed on the first post I've noticed it's been mostly typos and proof reading that's been "updated", though the ones that have had information removed (that the wiki has so far gotten) can be found on their wiki article page (such as the Falconiform Wyvern).

I think some spriters genuinely haven't gotten round to writing them when the dragon was first released. As far as I understand, if the spriter has the info done when the dragon is released, then it gets added in then. Otherwise, they'll have to wait till it's written up and is then added during one of these bulk updates. From the perspective of an artist, I understand why some spriters with released dragons don't have the information typed up before hand. It's a lot of work, not just physically but creatively, to come up with that kind of information. And when it's for a design that may or may not get picked, and can sit in limbo for years, why bother until you actually get confirmation. Some designs may have the info pre-written because it's one the artist values and does the write up because they want to, but for those designs that they aren't particularly attached to, it's a lot of work for something that may even be turned down after a long wait.

I can understand that some artists may be busy, not have time to write up a big encyclopedia entry, etc etc, but angelicdragonpuppy and I both specifically mentioned releases where lots of info is *already* available, because the artist posted large info-dumps in the release thread. For instance the Tetra has no info on their encyclopedia page, even though Corteo posted info right here.

Sinii Krais have no info either, although once again Corteo posted info here.

The Nexus also has no info, although there have been multiple posts made with info, as shown on it's wiki page.

I love the new info we've gotten in this update (even though it seems that some of the listed breeds weren't, in fact, updated at all), but I just wonder why there are still so many breeds with no info at all when there *is* info about them out there.

@Marie19R I am guessing that it is just because it was not written up in the format that is used in the encyclopedia. While it doesn't seem like it would be too hard to rewrite it in that format, it would take time for someone. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

There should be information on Cassares.  I submitted it, I don't know why it isn't showing up, though it sounds like it was meant to be included in the update.

Edited by Nectaris

11 minutes ago, Nectaris said:

There should be information on Cassares.  I submitted it, I don't know why it isn't showing up, though it sounds like it was meant to be included in the update.

Finally some news! :D Perhaps this is what happened to the other blank entries, too.

Looking forward to seeing more info about your little weasels, Nectaris--the lore behind them remains high among my favorites. :) 

Oh yes, info on Cassares! Very much look forward to seeing that, hopefully it will be added soon? They have such an interesting ability I can't wait to read more about them.

Excellent timing for getting ready for Halloween. Thank-you to TJ and spriters and all busy with updates and event preps. I hope everyone is enjoying the harvest season and all the bounty it provides us.

Man I just got back from being gone for years- before this stuff even existed! I have soooo much work to do.

2 hours ago, TwilitProphet said:

Man I just got back from being gone for years- before this stuff even existed! I have soooo much work to do.

If you are just starting to fill in entries Encyclopedia helpers is a good place to start.

I can't believe I missed this news for days! I'm so excited, especially about the Black Marrow entries. YUS.

On 10/17/2017 at 6:23 AM, bluesonic1 said:

Some designs may have the info pre-written because it's one the artist values and does the write up because they want to, but for those designs that they aren't particularly attached to, it's a lot of work for something that may even be turned down after a long wait.

I mean, sometimes you're super attached to a design, but because you focused so hard on the visual design you didn't think too hard on the lore so that's pretty basic and you end up making a bunch of stuff up on the spot. -coughSpinelscough-

It's good to hear that more entries have been completed. It'll be great to hear the rest of them follow suit. While it's understandable about not having back stories for some of the older dragons, perhaps a personal invitation may help and an offer to help get them into the specific format needed for the encyclopedia may facilitate getting the missing info completed? Just a thought, especially if those creator are no longer with Dragon Cave. It can't hurt to ask.