Jump to content
Moonlightelf

Attention Photobucket users!

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

At Flight Rising Wind Flight Discord, I was informed about Photobucket no longer being free when it comes to 3rd party hosting. The said site is slowly replacing the images with following.

user posted image

 

More about this in these links

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5671481

http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/13-modeling-...onger-free.html

https://www.pcmag.com/news/354711/photobucket-breaks-image-links-across-the-internet

 

If you still have images hosted at Photobucket (or know signature images that are hosted there in Lineage threads or such), you still have time to save them.

 

Best course of action now for anyone, who isn't willing to go through and pay for image sharing, is to find another image hosting site such as:

  • Imgur
  • Flickr
  • TinyPic
  • Gyazo
  • DeviantArt Sta.sh
  • Tumblr

Feel free to suggest more sites that have free image hosting ♥

Edited by Moonlightelf
Adding more sites that have been suggested

Share this post


Link to post

Thank you for posting this moonlight elf. I moved off of Photobucket a while ago, but some of the groups I'm part of still used it, so I moved the images to a new site.

Share this post


Link to post

Posted (edited)

When are these sites going to learn that forcing people to pay for their hosting is going to only make them...move? Imageshack did it, now Photobucket. RIP.

 

Edit: I will say this though, at least Photobucket isn't deleting your images if you don't pay. Imageshack actually deleted and hid people's art/photos,etc. if they didn't upgrade/pay.

 

Gyazo is also a great hoster. <3 It's free, unless you want to pay for stuff but you don't have to.

Edited by Lyxii

Share this post


Link to post

Posted (edited)

I also really enjoy deviantArt's sta.sh storage, you get plenty of space for free and a few people I know who aren't artists use an account on there solely for image hosting.

 

edit: i cannot spell xnx

Edited by dragonwinxzodiac

Share this post


Link to post

Posted (edited)

On 2.7.2017 at 2:53 AM, dragonwinxzodiac said:

I also really enjoy deviantArt's sta.sh storage, you get plenty of space for free and a few people I know who aren't artists use an account on there solely for image hosting.

 

edit: i cannot spell xnx

how do you create a link to put into IMG tags for forum use, though?

I have registered on imgur already, prepared to change my sig code once PB decides I may no longer show it

Edited by Thaliel

Share this post


Link to post

Ugh...that is crap. :/ I have every single one of my massive collection of lineages on photobucket. It is going to take FOREVER, to move them all, let alone to track down everywhere I have signature images.

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, Thaliel said:

how do you create a link to put into IMG tags for forum use, though?

I have registered on imgur already, prepared to change my sig code once PB decides I may no longer show it

All you need is the picture's address, just like posting any other image.  I.e., depending on your browser, you can right click (or long tap on mobile) and something along the lines of "copy image address/location" should be an option. You just put that in the IMG tags.  Unlike other hosting sites there's no special location to use (which I think is to keep people from downloading images you post? I'm not sure I just find it annoying that you can't just copypasta the address, hence my love of sta.sh xD)

Share this post


Link to post

*hisses*

Indeed, checked their new terms and 3rd party hosting is now forbidden for free account user. ^^" This is a real pain as I own photobucket for YEARS and used it quite a lot for 3rd party hosing purpuses. Well what else would I want to do with that site? xD

Oh my, maybe it is not so bad - that cleans up my pics from sites I no longer use. ^^" Byebye bucket!

Share this post


Link to post

I got all my various sig/avatar images that I still use transferred and 3rd gen lineages transferred. Still so many to go. *sob*

Share this post


Link to post

Posted (edited)

I just found this. Wow.... Thanks!

I don't need the expensive image hosting service. Time to move the images!

Edited by Kyath The Dream Worker

Share this post


Link to post

Thank you for sharing this, I had no idea.
First it seems I had to leave imageshack, now I must abandon photobucket. Wonder what image hosting site I will have to abandon next.

Share this post


Link to post

Thank you for the info, I noticed this happening last night and it worried me, and ended up more worried when i saw the cost :mellow: I think I'll use TinyPic since I'm somewhat used to it (never used the other 2 suggestions before ^^; ) *shakes a fist at Photobucket* <_< 

On 7/1/2017 at 1:28 PM, XiziX said:

When are these sites going to learn that forcing people to pay for their hosting is going to only make them...move? Imageshack did it, now Photobucket. RIP.

 

Edit: I will say this though, at least Photobucket isn't deleting your images if you don't pay. Imageshack actually deleted and hid people's art/photos,etc. if they didn't upgrade/pay.

 

Gyazo is also a great hoster. <3 It's free, unless you want to pay for stuff but you don't have to.

i second this - not everyone can afford to pay for sites like that (myself included), and if they keep their services free, more people would be willing to use their site (IMO anyways (please don't hate me for saying such) ^^; ), unless they're charging people now due to limited/needed server space or something, but still, a notice stating a change besides seeing "replaced" images would've been nice ^^; Thankful to hear Photobucket won't remove/delete images if payment isn't made (for now?) ^^;

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/1/2017 at 5:41 AM, Moonlightelf said:

Best course of action now for anyone, who isn't willing to go through and pay for image sharing, is to find another image hosting site such as:

  • Imgur
  • Flickr
  • TinyPic

Feel free to suggest more sites that have free image hosting ♥

 

Thanks for this.  :thumbsup:

All my Photobucket links died this morning, so I needed to look for somewhere else for my piccies.  :)

Share this post


Link to post

Tbh, photobucket has been going downhill for years (I quit using it a while back myself, although it was originally my first choice - and I didn't bother worrying about re-saving anything; stuff I need should still be saved on my comp somewhere), so I'm kinda glad they're forcing all their users off so I don't have to deal with them. >.> It also makes DR easier, where we don't allow completed images to be hosted on photobucket.

However, it was a very distasteful thing for them to do, and I'm sorry to everyone who uses photobucket and now has to find and adjust to another site, as well as possibly re-save the images they hosted on photobucket. That's definitely not fun. And it's not cool that this seems to be a pattern in image hosting sites. =x

Share this post


Link to post

I choose the way to delate my Photobucket account. I'm not missing it. Because I plan to clean up my rotators.

Share this post


Link to post

I had to stop using photobucket a couple of years ago because the pages loaded so slowly due to all the ads and flash. v: I switched to sta.sh because it's nice and easy to use, and since I already had a dA account and not a lot to store, it was a perfect option.

Share this post


Link to post

Photobucket just shot themselves in the foot.

 

So any suggestions to new site?

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Starscream said:

Photobucket just shot themselves in the foot.

 

So any suggestions to new site?

I personally have been having a lot of luck using imgur these past couple months.

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Starscream said:

Photobucket just shot themselves in the foot.

 

So any suggestions to new site?

 

Imgur, flickr, tinypic, dA sta.sh, and gyazo have all been suggested in this thread (most of them in the first post). Were you looking for more in depth reviews (I suggest just clicking around them a bit to get a feel for them) or do you not like any of those suggestions? =o

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, SockPuppet Strangler said:

 

Imgur, flickr, tinypic, dA sta.sh, and gyazo have all been suggested in this thread (most of them in the first post). Were you looking for more in depth reviews (I suggest just clicking around them a bit to get a feel for them) or do you not like any of those suggestions? =o

I was looking for something more in depth. One alternative is to use my own site to host my images, which could be "simpler, but means I would need to remember urls.

Share this post


Link to post

Happy to have another reason to despise Photobucket.

 

Imgur is my recommendation for a substitute, with Gyazo and Stash as secondaries.

  • Imgur
    • Pros
      • You can upload both with or without an account
      • Grabbing medium and small thumbnails is easy and can be done simply by modifying the image URL (/xyz.png becomes /xyzs.png for a small thumbnail or /xyzm.png for a medium thumbnail)
      • Can host gifv and mp4, which both run more smoothly than regular gifs
      • Can both rehost from image URL or upload directly from your computer
    • Cons
      • Front page is a gallery of other people's images, which sometimes has stuff you might not want to see
      • Occasionally has downtime due to high traffic
  • Stash
    • Pros
      • Can upload file types such as .kra (Krita) and .psd (PhotoShop) instead of being limited to png/jpeg/gif
      • Directly linked to DeviantArt
    • Cons
      • Difficult to use on mobile
      • Cannot upload without an account
      • Limited to 2GB without a paid account

Aaaand haven't used Gyazo enough to write out pros/cons for it, but it seems solid from my understanding.

Share this post


Link to post

Ouch. I've also been using them for years and subscribed a couple times when they had bandwith limits. I thought those were fair restrictions to keep free use in check. But they changed their subs so that you had to email a request in order to stop the auto-renewal. Very uncool. I guess I may switch to DA since I am already there.

Share this post


Link to post

Don't use Tinypic! They recycle URLs so you could end up with some very nasty images taking the place of whatever cute dragon stuff you uploaded.

 

Imgur is the best alternative imo. You have unlimited uploading (I have almost 12,000 images/over 200 albums on my account) and the URLs are nice and short. It can be difficult to find things you uploaded and didn't put in an album but you can easily reupload them. Plus there's none of the horrible lag and general use issues that come with Photobucket and Stash. Just make sure you never click "Share to community". That will make your image public for people to comment on and they can be really mean. Make your albums private ("Hidden") under Settings.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Dew said:

Happy to have another reason to despise Photobucket.

 

Imgur is my recommendation for a substitute, with Gyazo and Stash as secondaries.

  • Imgur
    • Pros
      • You can upload both with or without an account
      • Grabbing medium and small thumbnails is easy and can be done simply by modifying the image URL (/xyz.png becomes /xyzs.png for a small thumbnail or /xyzm.png for a medium thumbnail)
      • Can host gifv and mp4, which both run more smoothly than regular gifs
      • Can both rehost from image URL or upload directly from your computer
    • Cons
      • Front page is a gallery of other people's images, which sometimes has stuff you might not want to see
      • Occasionally has downtime due to high traffic
  • Stash
    • Pros
      • Can upload file types such as .kra (Krita) and .psd (PhotoShop) instead of being limited to png/jpeg/gif
      • Directly linked to DeviantArt
    • Cons
      • Difficult to use on mobile
      • Cannot upload without an account
      • Limited to 2GB without a paid account

Aaaand haven't used Gyazo enough to write out pros/cons for it, but it seems solid from my understanding.

There is another Pro to Imgur, though I don't know if other image sites allow for this since I have not used them, but you can upload images that are in your computers clipboard (ex, if you are editing an image in say GIMP, and you just select all and copy it, you can paste it onto Imgur's upload just like that, rather than having to select the file off your computer)

Share this post


Link to post

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.