Moonlightelf

Attention Photobucket users!

thanks very much guys.  I will make a decision soon. for now my own website can host images, its just hard to find my pics where they are or what they are.

Oh wow, I knew nothing about this! It looked like my images were still intact, but I decided to go ahead and move my signature elsewhere anyway, just to get that done. As I have a dA account, I decided to try out the sta.sh solution, hopefully that'll work well. Thanks for the heads up!

I used photobucket for DC-related art stuff back when I had an art thread with more viewers. Figured I'd use photobucket again when I came back here--only to see this going on. Oh well, no skin off my back, I'll just have to use Imgur or Tumblr from now on. I was originally not using my Imgur very much because I thought they still had a limit on how many pictures you could have, but that restriction is apparently no longer in place.

I don't think my images have been changed yet, but just in case: Once they have changed, can I still access my files without paying? I have a lot of stuff on there from the past ten years or so, and it's going to take a bit to save and move everything. ):

Also, does anyone know of any sites that have filename URLs? Something kinda' like "http://hostsite.com/username/folder/filename.png", for example. That was something that I always liked about Photobucket, but I don't know of any other sites that do that.

Edited by 11th

59 minutes ago, 11th said:

Once they have changed, can I still access my files without paying?

I am pretty sure this only applies to posting images on external sites. You should still be able to view your images on Photobucket itself. 

On 7/12/2017 at 6:11 PM, Dew said:

I am pretty sure this only applies to posting images on external sites. You should still be able to view your images on Photobucket itself. 

They just hit me today and technically I guess I can view my images, but only in the little thumbnails in the albums. When I click on the image to view it I just get the nasty image that is replacing the photos all over the net. They say my images are "safe" but they are of no use to me like that. I have the option to download them to my computer, but I cannot view them full size on the photobucket site.

I did move a lot of my images to imgur, but realize now that there were some I forgot. It will be much more difficult to recover them now.

Edited by purplehaze
typo

I thought photobucket said that they wouldn't be changing how images are viewed on their website? I was under the impression that ONLY external linking would be changed but you could still view your images as normal.

Edited by Cori

If there is a way to do that I haven't found it. I can't view them the way I used to and the slideshows don't work. I just get that nasty pay to play message.

I'd had mine since 2010, decided it was time to take my stuff off there.

Photobucket may not last much longer anyway with a stunt like this.

I have always hated Pb, and this definitely closes that coffin... Also, I was wondering why I kept seeing that upgrade your account picture. I've blocked the image itself on AdBlock because it gets annoying to see every 3 seconds. *sighs*

I personally use Imgur. I'd like to point out that Chromium based browsers have a "Upload to Imgur" extension, which pops up the image in a new tab, so you don't even have to visit the main site. That may help sway your opinion a bit, idk? Lol.

Is Imgur easy to use? I am contemplating using it for my images now. PB has pretty much ripped all of mine down now so.

Absolutely easy. (I don' have an account, but I do use it when I need to upload and post and it's WAY easier than photobucket ever was.)

Honestly I'm not too surprised they did this.  PB gets no income from 3rd party hosting and those images take up a LOT of space.  Free accounts were supported by ads, but the rise of ad blockers negates a significant amount of that revenue.  (I use an adblocker but disable it on trusted sites since infected ads previously attacked my computer on more than one occasion.)  Hence, providers of "free" services (there is no such thing because SOMEONE is footing the bill) face a pretty big dilemma. 

Regarding PB, I would reckon that a significant chunk of users do not use it to upload their own photos and artwork - instead as a gallery of reuploaded viral content such as memes.  From this, I think PB wants to cater more to professionals.

That being said, it was pretty underhanded to do it out of the blue and $400 a year is completely outrageous.  You could host your own website and upload nothing but images on it for that price.  Also, for those who already had paid subscriptions, that is doubly awful since one of the key features they paid for is gone.  I wouldn't be surprised to see lawsuits come out of this for paying customers.

I don't think it will affect me too terribly much - all my stuff is saved on my computer - and I can use my DA stash for showing artwork.  It's not like sprites take up a metric boatload of space.

I have been using Imgur, myself, now that Photobucket is no longer free...