SkySong278

A Knight's Story

((okay. I'll get it posted tonight before I go to bed :)))

"But... you're the only female guard..." He said confused. "And I didn't want you to know about it until I was ready to purpose. I have the real ring being made, not this one though, it'll catch on everything. I'll get my clothes and some needles and thread and we'll get to work!" He said kissing her forehead getting up once more with her dishes and walked from the room returning to her bedside and handed her a threaded needle and a shirt as he worked on a different shirt. 

"Lets eat first, I've haven't eaten anything most of the day." Avery said pointing to a food stall. "Then we can look around for ourselves and Avery. I don't know what Zane would like...."

"Oh, I am? I thought there were other female guards. Guess I was wrong. Maybe I was confusing them for the younger maids but oh well. I was talking about the ring you gave me that I'm wearing now not knowing that it was an engagement ring because you didn't say that's what it was. It's fine, though because my confusion has been cleared on it. I can't wait to see the other one when it's finished and okay," Alex said in reply to everything he said before she was kissed on the forehead. Then when he left to get the needles and thread and his clothes that needed to be mended, she let out a small tired sigh but then got to work on the shirt that he gave her to mend and focused on the stitches she needed to put in it. "I love you Zane," she said after she finished and looked over at him.

"That sounds like a good idea," Cody said in reply before hearing what Avery said next. "Maybe a new sword belt will be good. I noticed that the one he has now is starting to wear out slightly," he said in reply to the trailed off statement before heading to the food stall that the former was pointing at.

Edited by SkySong278

"Guards are knights. You're the first and only female knight I know of." He said finishing his shirt first and getting another one handing her a fine shirt that had a large hole in the back. I didn't say because I didn't want you to know until now. I love you most mi rayna." He said softly, biting the thread to cut it when he was finished with his second shirt. He lifted his third and tore it up into rags. "Beyond repair." 

"That sounds like a great idea! And maybe more shirts. His get torn so much. " He giggled. "Alex wanted a new knife and a necklace for the ring Zane gave her so she can wear it all the time without it getting in the way. "

"Oh okay and I love you more," Alex said in reply before getting to work on the other shirt he gave her to mend that had a big hole in the back of it. "You should get your clothes custom made with better fabric so that they don't tear so easily," she added just before she watched him tear the last shirt to shreds. She laughed a bit before grimacing slightly because of that and then said, "Poor shirt."

"Thanks and yes he does but I think he just needs ones that are custom-made specifically for him so that they fit better. I think those are good gift ideas for Alex," Cody said in reply to everything that Avery said before it was their turn to order food for their meal. He told the vendor what he liked before looking at the former to see what he'd like.

"Yes. I need new ones, but I only trust my mom to make them and she's been quite busy with the ladies of the court." He sighed throwing the rags into a basket. "She uses the strips though for accents on dresses so it's not a total loss."

--

Avery ordered for himself and took the food when ready, finding a bench to sit at. He started eating. "This is absolutely delectable!" He exclaimed. 

"Ah but at least she's not out of work. I can't wait to see some of her work," Alex said in reply to his first few statements before hearing the one he said last. "That's a really good use for them."

Cody followed after him with his own food before sitting down beside him. "Yes it is," he said after swallowing a bite of his own food after a little while of starting to eat it.

"It is. Was her idea because I go through them so fast. Silk and satin don't go well with swords and Torro. " Zane said and sighed. "Hopefully the king and his wife are okay. You actually did, the dress her majesty wore today was my mother's work. Seems so fine it's hard to see the stichery, unlike my sloppy handiwork..." He said holding up a pair of patched trousers that had sloppy stiches chris crossing each other more than once.

--

Avery finished the food, lightly dabbing at his mouth with a handkerchief before cleaning his hands and offering Cody a clean cloth to do the same. "I spotted a few vendors that had the items of interest we're looking for as well as some things that caught my eye. Shall we go see them?"

"Ah and I understand how that would be hard. I'm sure they are. When we left the castle to come here so that you could help me with the doctor's orders, they were okay so I think they're still fine so you don't have to worry about them. Oh really? I didn't know that and it was really pretty. Maybe she can make one for me sometime when she's not so busy. You'll get better with more practice," Alex said in reply to everything he said before getting a bit more comfortable while resting her head more against the pillow behind her before continuing to work on repairing his shirt. "My stitching is also a bit sloppy so you're not the only one."

Cody nodded his thanks to Avery when he gave him a handkerchief for wiping off his mouth before he heard what the former said. "Okay and sure," he said just before getting up and then picking up their napkins that had the food that they were served with before it was all eaten. He threw them away in a nearby resepticle before taking the other's hand and then waiting for him to lead the way to the vendors that he had seen.

((I should also mention that I'll be out of town for Christmas visiting my family in Colorado next Thursday the 21st and will be back in town on Wednesday the 27th. my replies in both GTPCBD (Guide to Pet Care: By a Dragon) and AKS (A Knight's Story) might be slow))

Edited by SkySong278

"Good, then I could blame the worse stitching on you." Zane chuckled. "Maybe she already made you one. Do you want another drink or something to numb the pain? I think I have some Spanish wine made by monks around here somewhere. I could use a glass myself..." 

Avery studied a couple necklaces that where dainty and thin. "Anything thicker? My sister is in a lot of scuffles and armor would break this chain like paper. " He asked the vender. The man nodded and got out some men's chains which Avery studied with equal scrutiny of a textbook.

"That's not very nice," Alex said with a small giggle before hearing what else he said as well as asked. "Oh? Do you know something that I don't? I'll have a small glass of that Spanish wine you spoke of because I guess I do need something to numb the pain with and to rest a bit easier," she said in reply while finishing her stitching job on the other shirt that he had given her.

While Avery studied the necklace chains to find the perfect one for Alex, Cody looked at the sword sheathes to see which one would suit Zane best. He saw one a few minutes later and picked it up before noticing the former looking really close at the much thicker chains. "It looks like you're staring them down," he said with a small chuckle as he moved to stand beside him.

Edited by SkySong278

"Perhaps." He is eyes wrinkling in empathy. "Now let me get that wine." He got up and left, coming back with a bottle with two glasses. He popped open the bottle and poured two full glasses, swirling his before taking a long drink. "I understand that. Needing a drink to numb the pain. The monks make some strong wine so this should work. "

"I'm looking for....ah! How much for this one?" He pointed to a rusted chain that looked older than dirt. "That for your sister? I think she'll want a finner chain. If your sister is as lovely as you Madame I think-" "then don't, I know what I want and I want that one. How much?" He asked again "two copper..." He fished out two copper and dropped it in the man's hand grabbing the chain and waved over Cody. "I work for mages and sorcerers. This mark on the clasp, this is enchanted to never break, be as hard as dragon scales yet lighter than a feather.  The marks on the chain ward off dark magic and enchanted weapons used against the bearer of this chain would cease their function. This will do nicely. "

"Then the suspense would kill me about what the dress looks like," Alex said in reply before being given a glass that was filled with the Spanish wine. "Thanks love and I'm sure it's delicious," she said before taking a drink of the wine. "Mm this is some good stuff," she said before setting it down on the small table beside her. She didn't want to drink too much and risk getting drunk.

Cody had paid the other vendor at the stall for the sword sheathe while Avery was arguing with the main vendor for the chain he was wanting. He was looking at the swords that were also there before being waved over by the former. "It's a very nice chain and from what you said that it can do I think it'll be perfect for her," he said in agreement and a nod before showing him the sheathe that he had bought. "I found this for Zane and I think it'll suit him quite well."

Edited by SkySong278

"Ah, all in due time dearest. " He said taking a drink for himself holding his glass and swirling the red liquid around the crystal goblet. "Fruity, with a hint of flowers and.. cherries. Interesting... quite a lovely taste. Whenever the pain is unbearable, take a drink. You will get tipsy or drunk after a few sips of this wine. It is quite strong, but that's a given when drinking alcohol. You're in pain, you need to relax and sleep. It will help. Trust me." He said taking another drink. 

----

"Indeed. Now I need some vinegar and lemon juice to clean it then I'll give it to her. But for now, let's enjoy this festival okay?" He said with a grin dropping the chain in his coin purse.  

Alex nodded in reply to both of his statements before taking another sip of the wine after picking it up again and then fell asleep after putting it down again. She was exhausted after the day's events and also after having stayed up late reading.

Cody nodded in reply to the statement and question Avery said and asked before taking his hand again in one of his own after the former had put the purchased chain in his coin purse and he himself had put his own purchase on his belt. He then led him around the festival afterward and looked around at all of the stuff that was going on.

Zane drank down his glass and set it on the table, laying down beside her with a chuckle. He brushed a strand of hair behind her ear. "Can't hold your liquor my dear? Sleep well and dream sweetly. I will not leave your side tonight." He muttered in her ear, getting comfortable on the edge of the bed watching her sleep for a while before falling asleep too. 

---

Avery laughed as Cody tugged him around the fair. He played a couple games winning toy tops or a small dagger at a few of them.

Alex smiled a bit when she heard what Zane said while continuing to sleep both soundly and peacefully.

(we can ts to the next day after Ave and Cody are done with the festival)

Cody smiled as he watched Avery win a few games and get some prizes as he did so. "Where next?" he asked him after he had won the more recent game.

((Yeah we can.))

Avery yawned. "Home to bed. I have a day off tomorrow. We can visit them in the afternoon." He suggested leaning on his boyfriend, eyes getting heavy. 

----

»Next day«

Zane was up early making breakfast, finding new wrappings for her wound, assembling these things all on a tray along with an herbal tea his mother made for Alex's pain. He went upstairs after letting her sleep in a little  and set the tray down on a desk table in the corner of his room. Crossing over to his bed he tenderly kissed her forehead, cheeks and lips until she woke up slightly. "Mi amore 'tis time to wake up. I made breakfast. I need to check your wound and change the bandages. I brought books for you to read too,and I figured I could teach you more Spanish so you don't get bored. " He says softly. The curtains haven't been drawn yet allowing the room to be dark enough to sleep a little longer but light enough to see by. 

---

Avery slept in and was still waking up by the time Cody came over. He was in a frilly silk gown and a lilac velvet robe on top. His hair still a mess as he sat with his mom and dad at the breakfast table sipping coffee and munching on an egg Benedict. 

Cody nodded and then took Avery home before going home himself to get some much needed shut-eye.

~-~-

Alex woke up slightly when she felt Zane's lips against hers and kissed him back a bit before hearing everything that he said. "Aw okay and that was a nice way to wake up. I have a feeling that you're going to spoil me while I'm here for the week. Can we do the Spanish lesson outside? I'd like to get some fresh air and I don't want to be stuck in bed the whole time I'm going to be here," she said in reply to everything he said while waking her up. "Also about what you asked last night, I can hold my liquor but I was just really exhausted from all that had happened yesterday and from my staying up late reading the book that you had gotten me." She added this last statement after a few minutes of trying to sit up and get more comfortable in the bed.

Cody woke up a bit earlier than usual the next morning to make sure he had enough time to get ready for the day before he would head to Alex and Avery's house to get the latter. After he had gotten dressed and got his gift for Zane, he headed to where his boyfriend lived and knocked on the door while hoping that he wasn't interrupting anything.

Edited by SkySong278

"You are indeed going to be spoiled here. Yes, I can carry you outside. Fresh air would do you good. " He said helping her get comfy before opening the curtains and the window for fresh air. He brought over the tray setting it on the bed after flipping down the legs. "So you heard me last night. You should have been asleep.." He booped her nose with a wink. "Now I'm curious as to how many glasses you are able to hold.." He chuckled getting the wrappings ready. He then paused flushing red. "M-maybe I should have mom do this.... we're unwed and you'd have to lift your..." He turned a shade darker as he mouthed the word but made no sound. Embarrassed he turned around and faced the opposite wall. 

---

Avery's mother went to get the door as Avery himself had finished breakfast and was shuffling into the living room hearing his mother's conversation with their guest. "Come on in dear! Avery just got up he- oh sorry, I keep forgetting- She'll be a while getting ready." The kind woman waved Cody inside. Avery had stopped looking like a deer caught in a bright light at the sight of Cody. Avery had a slight morning shadow on his lip, his face looked more masculine without his face paint although he was still dainty in stature. "Mom! Don't look Cody please, I'm hideous in the morning!" He said panicking and attempted to shuffle around them without spilling his coffee and trying to hide his face at the same time.

"Hm I guess it won't be a problem if you did that because I don't mind being spoiled. You don't have to carry me; I can walk and you can help me by being my support. I was half asleep," Alex said in reply and after she said the last thing she did she booped him back on the nose. Upon hearing the last thing he said, made her blush slightly as well. "I don't think it would be a problem if I only lift my shirt a bit without showing the upper half and just the area that I got stabbed in," she added before getting to work on doing just that as he turned around. After she was done lifting her shirt and camisole and tying them together in a small knot so that only the bandage that covered her injured stomach where she was stabbed was showing, she carefully sat up more before moving slowly to sit on the edge of the bed and get up so that she was standing. She then moved slowly towards him with small noises of pain and when she finally got to where she was standing behind him, she touched his shoulder gently. "You can just focus on the injury and rebandaging it now and don't worry about me being in pain because I'm fine," she said as she waited for him to turn around.

"It's okay ma'am. I know his secret because he told me," Cody said in reply with a smile and a nod of thanks for letting him inside. When he was inside, he heard Avery scrambling to get ready. He didn't look at him because he figured that he didn't have his make-up on just yet. He was going to wait in the foyer for him to be completely ready.

Edited by SkySong278

"You shouldn't be standing up. Sit down." He ordered turning around and scooped her up sitting her in a chair before she could protest again. He handed her the tea. "This will ease any amount of pain. My mom developed it's ingredients so I wasn't drunk by ten in the morning after my father's lashings." He said taking a knee and after some hesitation, he undid the wrappings around her stomach to look at her wound. "The stitches are holding... but it started to seep quite a bit with you moving. Bloody Hell Alex, it's only been a day! Let your body heal for once!" He growled, voice taking on a frustrated and panicked tone as he cleaned the wound. "What are you trying to prove? That you're strong and can handle it like a man? I can ignore the pain from a cut like this because I'm used to having cuts all over then be told to run a league. You may be a knight, but you are still a woman. Your body is delicate. I know of many ways that women could be rendered sterile and I don't want that to happen to me bride to be..." He says scolding her as he wrapped up her wound once again. 

-----

Avery took a half hour to an hour to get ready, coming down with a lovely yellow walking dress on, hair brushed, face painted and his lip waxed. He smoothed his dress. "Mom knows that I told you. She's trying to get used to calling me a girl outside of the house. Otherwise it'll blow my cover as a scribe. You and my family might accept me like this... but unfortunately not everyone would. "

Alex was about to protest when she was scooped up by Zane again and put in a chair before being given a cup of some herbal tea that his mom had made. “Thank you and I'm sorry. I'm trying to prove to myself that I'm not weak when I get injured because I feel that way and helpless every time that happens. I'll try to do what you'd like me to but no promises,” she said in reply to his frustrated, panicked scolding of her after she had taken a few sips of the tea while he rewrapped her injury with the new bandages that he had gotten for her.

Cody had found a seat to sit on while he waited in the foyer area for Avery to get ready and then when he came down and said all that he did, he listened and nodded in understanding. “Ah I understand now and that's sadly true,” he said before offering his hand to the other. “Ready to go?”

Edited by SkySong278

"There are other ways to be strong. You are strong..." He said as he unknoted her shirt and undershirt pulling them down over the wrappings. "You are brave. You are intelligent. You have a fiery determination that's both impressive and frightening. You followed your dreams no matter what the cost was. You are fearless and a leader. Strong in body only gets one so far in life. What drew me to you, what fascinates me about you is that blazing fire in your soul that would not take no for an answer.  Most women would run in fear from what we see daily, but you.... you charge right in. I need that in my life. My determination was broken along with my body a long time ago. Without you, I would have never  made that stand against my father. I would be under his thumb the rest of my life. But because I met you, you inspired me, gave me confidence in myself. That makes you strong." He said looking right into her eyes. "Don't ever doubt yourself."

---

Avery nodded to both comment and question.  He took his hand and headed outside holding a parasol above his head like a sophisticated lady would.