SkySong278

A Knight's Story

"Yes. Please?. " He kissed her hand. "Time to prepare myself for this. Thank you again everything, I hope that it turns out ok." He said softly.

“Okay and you’re welcome. Me too and sleep and prepare well. I’ll see you at the trial,” Alex said in reply with a small smile before blowing him a kiss as she and Cody left to head back to her house.

----------

tsing to trial

When the trial came, Alex was a bundle of nerves in her red dress that Zane had gotten her for the ball awhile back and her hair (the ribbons are red and gold) up in a nice hairstyle for the occasion. Her stomach was hurting a bit but she tried to ignore it as she was called up to the stand. She had practiced beforehand with Cody and Zane’s family lawyer but she was still a bit nervous nonetheless. She answered all of the questions that were posed to her and quietly sighed to herself in relief when that was over but then got all nervous once again when it was Dominique’s lawyer’s turn to ask her questions. She mentally calmed herself down before answering all the questions to the best of her ability before being told that she could step down and go back to her seat. She did so and then the rest of the witnesses went up one by one to answer questions. She quietly got up and left the room to go outside to get some fresh air as well as to be with the horses as they were answering questions by both lawyers. She was getting a bit worried and nervous again and didn’t want Zane to see that expression on her face as he waited for the king’s deliberation later on whether he was guilty or not. That would just make him worried and nervous and she didn't want that. When she got outside, she headed over to where Spot and Toro were and started to brush them down as well as to give them some treats.

Edited by Dragonpelt

((No jury, that's an American thing, in old fashioned way, the king is judge and jury. ))

Zane had been able to shave and trim his hair. He was given a bath and wore his best red suit before being brought in shackled and at spear point before the king and his advisors. He watched one by one as his witnesses where called forth including Alex. Dominique's lawyer seemed like a snake charmer with a silver tongue. He somehow managed to get half of his witnesses to spout out his bad qualities. Being too rough on the training field, cursing his father when he wasn't around.

Cody's family lawyer also twisted witnesses, but the ones of his father's pay. When the woman who accused him of assault retold her story Dominique's lawyer stated; "Such a wicked thing happened to a bright innocent woman who was attacked and accosted by that monster." However, when the family lawyer took a spin at her, he asked her mundane questions about what she did that day and even asked ' who she saw behind the stables' whom she replied Kevin with a blush. Then he asked the same questions in random sequences until her story crumbled, revealing to the court she was paid to testify.

This cat and mouse game continued until Zane himself was called to the stand. Cody's lawyer was first to question him, then Dominique's.

"So, Zane." He said smoothly. "Do you deny that you cursed your father and wanted him dead?" "No I do not." "Oh? So you want to kill him? You admit to attempt of murder?" "I did not say I wanted to kill him. Just that I wish him dead." Zane replied, stoic. "Then why did you attack him on that day? So many people saw it... your saying that you cutting your father, and breaking his nose was an act of self defense? That can't be, because he was training another student. Nothing involving you."

"I'd be Damned it didn't involve me!" Zane's cool was breaking. "That trainee was Alexandra, who was disguised as a man at the time!" "And how did you find out she was a woman?" "I tripped when training with her. It was then I knew something off. I guessed, and when she pointed her sword at me telling me to not tell a soul, I did as she asked. That day I was defending her!"

"So you're saying that your father also knew. How did he find out?" "He met Marcus at the ball. Dominique knew he had twins, a boy and a girl. So when there were two girls, he got suspicious. He told me, when he took her hand, it was calloused like his, and that's when he recalled us fighting in the ring earlier that day. He knew full well that she was a woman. I was defending her!"

"Really? Would a well respected man like Dominique raise his hand to a woman?"

"He is no man. He is not respectable either. He's been masquerading around like he was a saint, but I say he's a devil." Zane snarled.

"How dare you say that to your father!" The lawyer said. "I highly doubt he has earned that treatment from his own-" "Don't say son, he made that point long ago that wasn't going to be accepted by him ever."

The man huffed, Dominique started to pale realizing with Zane planed to do. It would ruin him. "Enough Sebastian, " he snapped. Sebastian nodded and took his seat.

The king stroked his beard. "Why do you have such rage towards your father lad?" He asked calmly. "What happened to have you hate him so much?" "He stuck me multiple times your majesty."

The lawyer stood up with a laugh. "I doubt this boy can prove that his father- what are you doing!?" He called as Zane suddenly stood and tore off his jacket and shirt. Scars. Some from swords in training, others looked like belt or whip strikes. He spun around to show the still angry welts on his back from the time he was beaten at the ball. The wounds must have reopened when sleeping in the jail. "This is my proof. Twenty lashes for one word spoken out of turn. I can barely taste anything from when I was ten, and told a lie. He stuck a hot coal in my mouth, then told the doctor that I put it in my mouth myself. I am no longer a boy or under his control. I am a man, who would never lay a hand on a woman in anger or even in outrage. And I tell you, my body is marred by his anger to protect my mom from his wrath, my mom whom he assaulted, impregnated before marriage, then forced her to wed him. No amount of money would make me quite, and no amount of training, or guards would keep me safe from his influence. I would never be at peace unless he's dead, and even then, I'll cut his head off his corpse to make sure he doesn't come to haunt me. " He said putting on his shirt again. "I apologize for my indecency, but it had to be done. I am a victim of false accusations, abuse and neglect for years. And he wants to silence me for the stories I can tell. Because I can tare down every stone of his fortress brick by brick, revealing the ashes and bones he built it upon. May I leave the stand your majesty?"

The stunned king nodded, and after a long moment of silence he dismissed the court. He had Zane brought to a chamber in the castle, his own guards posted at his doors with no shackles, and another set of guards watching Dominique as the king decided what verdict he'd bring.

((oh okay. I didn't know that and edited out 'jury' to say 'king' instead))

Alex was still outside when Zane testified so she didn't hear what all he had said. Their fellow trainees and instructor did as well as Cody who was wearing a nice navy blue suit and black tie and Marcus who was wearing a nice black suit and white tie and they were all impressed by how well the former kept his cool for most of his testimony. Then when the proof of Dominque's rage on him was revealed, they (the trainees and instructor) were at first shocked by all the scars he had but then the shock faded to be replaced by calm while feeling a sense of relief when they thought that it would hopefully be enough proof for the king to give Dominique the guilty verdict and Zane the innocent one but they wouldn't know that until a bit later. When Zane was taken to the castle and put in a room for a little while to wait for the verdict, everyone there was given a small break and they went outside to chat for a little while.

Cody left with them and went off to find Alex whom he saw was near Spot and Toro. Chestnut was nearby and grazing but he figured that she hadn't seen him as he went to stand next to her. He told her everything that happened since she had gone outside and she felt a sense of relief come over her when she heard what Zane had done to show his proof. When they were called back in after about 5 or 7 minutes but what felt like a few hours, she went back inside with them and sat next to her dad while Cody sat beside Avery.

Alex felt better now and wasn't as worried as she had been before and Cody felt glad that he could get her to go back in the court room so that she could find out for herself how it would go.

Edited by SkySong278

Avery held Cody's hand tightly in reassurance. He was shocked and still was shocked at the amount of scars Zane had. Still, after that horrific display, he was certain the king would rule in his(Zane) favor.

"Dominique Sanchez, I am revoking your title as knight and imprisoning you for bribery, bringing forth a false witness, abuse, assault and other countless things I have yet to find. You will be investigated, your finances cut off and given to your remaining blood line, and your name blotted out from all history books. "

The king said and snapped his fingers, and several knights appeared, arresting Dominique dragging him out kicking and screaming. He then turned to Zane, who swallowed hard, hands shaking.

"Zane Xavier Rodriguez, I found you not guilty of all charges, and will knight you personally tomorrow, then promote you to second commanding officer of my personal guard. Not many men are honest in this world, I need men like you. You will start in the next two months after the paperwork is settled. You are free to leave, court dismissed." He stood and smiled as Zane immediately rushed to Alex, scooping her up tightly in his arms and planting a kiss on her lips like the world was going to end at that moment.

Alex waited in suspense to hear what the king’s verdict was on Zane and when it came, tears of relief and happiness went down her cheeks. She was about to stand when he came towards her but didn’t have the chance to as she was scooped up tightly in his arms a few seconds later. When he kissed her, she kissed him back and wrapped her arms around his neck. She then pulled back after a few minutes longer of the kiss and said with a smile as she wiped the tears away from her face, “I’m so happy that you’re innocent and that Dominique won’t be bothering us anymore. Also don’t worry about my tears. They’re out of relief and happiness and not sadness.”

Cody smiled at the sight and planted a soft and gentle kiss against Avery’s forehead after pulling him against his side with his right arm.

Edited by SkySong278

Avery grinned and hugged Cody. "Oh I'm so relieved. Alex kept me up at night to pen her letters for her, my writing is better then hers. She was worried, and that makes me worried because she gets distracted and forgets to eat or sleep and I have to remind her. Then I worried about you because he's your brother now and you love him too." He signed with relief. "I don't know what she or you would have done if it didn't turn out as planned.... but it's over now. No need to continue to worry."

Zane too was crying in joy. He kissed her tears. "I know my love, I know. I have a great job too now, but I'd still work with the children during the two months before I start. Did you hear? All of that wretched man's money is now mine. I'll keep only part, so we can perches a house together, one big enough for us and a half dozen or so children. I want a big family, I don't care if half of them are adopted I just want you and your love and I'll be content for the rest of my life.." He said then realized her father was standing behind her. He didn't let her go. He couldn't, it's was forever since he held her last. "Sir... um.... I would like your permission to court your daughter.." He said shyly.

“I’m glad then that the both of you will get the sleep you deserve now that this whole thing is over. I was worried but not as much as Alex. I did sleep but not well so I’ll be able to get the amount of sleep I need as well. Alex probably would have gotten very depressed and you would have gotten more worried for her state of mind and health and as for me I probably would have gotten more worried but not to the point of depression. Yes we don’t have to worry anymore,” Cody said in reply to everything that Avery said before having his attention go to outside the courtroom to see if he could spot Zane’s mom. He knew that Alex had sent her a letter about her being there but he wasn’t sure if she ended up coming or not. He knew Toro was outside the building itself with Spot and what Alex had planned for them to be reunited but he also didn’t know if Zane and his mom were going to be reunited at the same time. He just sighed to himself when he figured that he’d find that out soon before having his attention go back to being on Alex and Zane.

“Okay and yes I heard. That’s great because now we can do what we’ve been wanting to do. You would really like that many kids with me? I’m glad you plan on still training the other group of kids with our former instructor Kevin and my uncle Jon while you wait to start the job as one of the king’s personal guards. Me too and do you think it’s too late or too greedy to ask the king if I can be a part of the queen’s personal guard? I’d like to stay near you while you’re at the castle if possible. The job I have with training kids self-defense is temporary and only goes for a few more weeks or so so I’ll be looking for a new job after the self-defense training one is completely done,” Alex said in reply to everything he said and after she asked what she did last she ducked her head a bit to hide her shy expression as well the small blush that appeared on her cheeks. She looked up a bit and towards her father when she heard him say what he did to Marcus but otherwise wasn’t looking at Zane for the moment.

Marcus looked on happily as Alex and Zane were reunited and was glad that she was happy again. It had almost broken his heart to see her so worried and almost depressed during the weeks that the latter had been in prison and when she wasn’t visiting him there. He was still smiling when he heard their conversation and then smiled even more so when he heard what Zane said to him a bit shyly. “Of course. You make her happy and I’d like her to stay that way. You make her feel safe and very happy and that’s all I ask for you to do,” he said with a hand on the boy’s shoulder and with the smile still on his face.

Edited by SkySong278

"Thank you sir, I'd do my best." Zane said with a smile. "I'll ask later right now I want to....MAMA!" He let go of Alex and ran over to his mom and hugged her. The two fell to their knees holding each other and crying in relief. They sobbed in Spanish and kissed each other's cheeks. They helped each other outside where Toro reared and head butted Zane's chest.

Avery nodded. "This is wonderful, now we can go out together and enjoy life. How has the kid training been?" He asked

"You're welcome and I know you will as well as also taking good care of her," Marcus said in reply before he was hugged by Alex. "Thank you daddy," she said with a smile before she held Zane's hand again. She nodded to what Zane started to say at the beginning of his statement but then got curious when he trailed off to greet his mom. She smiled even more at the sight of them reuniting and then followed them outside where he was greeted by Toro where she grinned. "That's why I told you to wear red but you probably figured that out yourself when you read the letter I gave you at the prison," she said before turning her attention to his mom. "I'm glad you could make it Ms. Rodriguez," she greeted her and then asked Zane when she turned her attention back to him, "What were you going to tell me earlier before you trailed off when you saw your mom? You were starting to say that you wanted to do something."

"That's a great idea but we should let them go on a few dates by themselves first before we do some group ones since they've been separated for awhile. It's going well I guess but it'll take time for some of the kids to get the moves we're teaching them," Cody said in reply to Avery's statement and question.

Edited by SkySong278

"I wanted to hold you. " He said still clinging to his crying mother. "But... mama... she needs her son now. " He said softly trying to soothe her by rubbing her back.

"I agree with letting them catch up. Well, they aren't prodigies like you are, and haven't studied since they could walk and handle a blade, so of course it's going to take a while. Do you think I could still receive dagger lessons?"

"But you already did that after you were given the innocent of all charges verdict from the king. Your mom is more important right now and we can do whatever else we want to do that we weren't able to do while you were in prison later," Alex said in reply with a small smile as she watched the reunion before going over to their fellow trainees that had followed them outside to thank all of them for their help as well as them being there.

"Well I wouldn't say that I'm a prodigy. I just had a really good instructor before I was sent to the castle and that would be my dad. I understand that it will take awhile for them to train but I guess I'm getting a bit impatient which isn't fair to the young ones. I'll try to do better. Yes I think so and if you can't find a teacher I'll teach you," Cody said in reply to everything that Avery said and asked while looking down at him instead of over at Alex, Zane, and the latter's mom.

"I was hoping you'd give me privet lessons." Avery muttered under his breath, flipping open a fan and waving it slightly looking away and at the horses.

Zane nodded in response. "Right now, I'd like to head home. Thank you, everyone thank you for helping me. " He said to all the old trainees who were now knights, Cody's dad, the lawyer, his instructor and others who came. He went through shaking their hands one by one, hugging some of them as well. He then turned to Toro, and got on, helping his mom up behind him.

Alex had gone over to where Spot was grazing after she had talked to their friends and instructor and was now moving back over to the latter group when she heard that Zane was leaving to go back home with his mom. "I'll write and see you in town," she said as she walked up to be a bit close but at a safe distance. Shortly after she said what she did, she collapsed from exhaustion.

"I can give you those if you'd like me to," Cody said in reply to Avery's muttered statement while having his attention go to Zane as he both heard and noticed that he was leaving. He then immediately grew concerned when he saw Alex collapse and was there to catch her before she completely hit the ground. "She didn't sleep much while worrying for you while you were in prison and now I guess it has run its toll on her," he said to Zane while looking up at him in case he got concerned about her.

Alex smiled tiredly up at Zane and said, "I'll be fine. I guess I just need more sleep."

((also this isn't a stunt to get him to stay. it's just a coincidence that she collapsed right then and I also wanted to add a bit of drama))

Edited by SkySong278

((just letting you know that I changed my username so you don't get confused; also should we ts a bit?))

((okay. when to? a week or so or more? sorry for confusing you and me neither. it's also really slow in loading sometimes))

Two weeks have gone by now since Zane was released from prison. Alex had gotten enough sleep so she was no longer collapsing from exhaustion and was back to having her energy back to teach her group of kids self defense. When it was break-time, she had them practice the moves that they had just learned from her while she practiced her sword exercises.

Cody had grown a beard of sorts in the two weeks since Zane's release and innocent findings and his hair had gotten a bit longer to the point where he could pull the sides back if he needed to (like Thor but Cody's hair is a bit shorter than that). He was currently training his group of kids with sword training and it looked like some of them had improved which was very good.

Edited by SkySong278

Two weeks. Two weeks a free man and Zane couldn't get enough time with Alex and his mother. The first few days, he slept on the fainting couch in his mother's bedroom, wanting to be able to wake up and see her when he had nightmares comforted him.  He started with the kids after several days of good sleep and better food. He was still thin, and had a unruly wild look in his eyes that made the children skittish of him, so he worked with the older ones for the time being. He was sitting on a bench taking a break, breathing heavily. Working out in prison was different then working with a sword in free space.

Avery had taken a lunch break from his job as secretary for a wealthy businessman, bringing a basket full of sandwiches and goodies for the trainers. He had on a lavender walking dress with a matching purple sun hat grinning as he walked to the training area. "Good afternoon!"

Alex looked over at the training area next to hers and saw that Zane was taking a small break while sitting on a bench. She smiled a bit and went over to him, rubbing his shoulders while she stood behind him. "Hey love. You doing okay?" she greeted him and asked with the smile in her voice before she saw and heard Avery coming over with some lunch goodies for all of them. "Good afternoon and thanks Ave," she told him before looking down at Zane.

Cody was training his group of kids when Avery came and brought them some lunch. "Thanks love," he said after he walked over to him after having the kids take a small break and as he went on one himself.

Edited by SkySong278

Zane groaned. "Yeah,... especially when you're doing that..." He sighed in contentment. "Nightmares and this, need to get used to holding a blade again... little left.... hmmmm" he closed his eyes relaxing as she rubbed the tight knots from his shoulders.

Avery gave him a quick chaste kiss on the cheek and handed him a water canteen and a sandwich. "You're welcome my dear. And of course sis, any time. It's supposed to be hot outside, I don't want you to get heat exhaustion."

Alex smiled when she heard what he said before going a bit more to the left as requested but then she also frowned slightly when her mind went back to what he said regarding him having nightmares. "What are they about?" she asked before her attention went briefly over to Avery when she heard what he said. "I'm almost done with my training session so I'm not going to be out here much longer but thanks for the concern. I'll be home after I train them a bit more after this break," she said before looking back down at Zane while she continued to rub his shoulders. "Maybe we can do a picnic date tonight if you'd like?" she asked him.

Cody took the canteen and sandwich that he was given before taking a small sip from the canteen and then saying afterward, "You might want to go over to the bench where Alex and Zane are because they look a bit too busy to get their own snack goodies." He took his arm off from being halfway around Avery's shoulder and moved a bit so that he could move freely again before taking a bite of his food.

"Various things all involving Dominique.... all not good." He sighed in contentment. "A picnic sounds lovely. Up on split tree hill?" He asked her, it wasn't far, and named for the tree that was split by lightning, yet still growing in a V shape. 

Avery nodded and went over handing his sister and Zane their drinks and lunches before heading back to Cody. 

"I've been having nightmares, too but probably not the same as yours. In one of mine, his lawyer dresses up as someone that comes to the door to either sell jewelry or deliver messages and kidnaps me as I answer the door and brings me to Dominique. In another, he takes me to a hill and holds me over a cliff that's over the edge of the hill. That sounds perfect. After I finish my training session, I'll go back home and start prepping for the picnic. Would you rather have cookies or pie for dessert?" Alex said and asked regarding their date later as well as the nightmares that she has been having or just mentioning them to him. She then sat down beside him just as Avery came over and brought both a sandwich and water over to them. She nodded her head to him in thanks and acknowledgement before she started to eat her snack.

Cody was now sitting on another bench nearby, continuing to eat his own sandwich as well as continuing to drink out of his canteen when Avery made his way back towards him. He was now almost done with his sandwich and his canteen was also almost empty.

Edited by SkySong278