SkySong278

A Knight's Story

Alex listened to everything that he said while sipping the tea that he had given to her, smiling all the while. "I won't and thank for for saying all that because it made me feel better about myself and much happier," she said in reply after swallowing some tea that she had sipped a few minutes ago.

Cody smiled at him before looking ahead of them again as he led them to Zane's house where he lived with his mom for the time-being. "I'm assuming that you have the necklace chain that you bought for Alex with you?" he asked after a moment or two of mutual silence that had fallen between them as they walked.

Edited by SkySong278

"Why wouldn't I say such things? I love you because of those qualities. " He muttered kissing her tenderly before getting up and moving the food so she could eat in the chair. "You need some strength, a damaged body takes a lot to heal. I made the best foods I can think of to help with the healing process. " He said. He made eggs with chunks of ham and feta cheese sprinkled on top, a few fruits including apples and pear slices. "After breakfast I'll take you outside. I brought your horse to my stable with Toro. Ask him kindly and he might let you brush his mane."

--

"Indeed I do, and I cleaned it up. It's in my coin purse." Avery replied hooking his hand in the crook of Cody's arm. 

Edited by AroaraAngelwolf

“You're so sweet,” Alex muttered back in reply before kissing him back and then watching as he brought the tray with her breakfast on it over to her. “All of these are my favorite foods. How'd you know?” she said and asked before starting to eat them and as she also heard everything else he said. “I've brushed his mane before so he'll probably let me brush it again,” she said while referring to the time of the tournament and ball before sneaking an apple into her sleeve for Toro and two pear slices for Spot. “Thanks for bringing Spot over.”

“That's good and I have the sheathe for Zane,” Cody said in reply before having his left hand hold Avery's while it was on the crook of his right arm. “It sure is a nice day today. Hopefully Alex'll get a chance to be outside.”

Edited by SkySong278

"Don't give him anymore apples missie. He's spoiled enough as it is..." He said grabbing clothes to change in before walking out to change into clean clothes. He came back in the room when he was done changing. "I've seen you eat them before, and Avery may or may not have told me." He said chuckled.

-

"So do I. Hopefully she's not giving Zane a hard time and making things worse on her and him worry about it. That boy is going to get grey hair if he marries my sis. " Avery giggled.

“Maybe I want to spoil him even more,” Alex said in reply with a mischievous gleam in her eyes before she had her attention go back to being on the food and as she went back to eating it. “Ah,” she said in reply to his last statement with a smile before finishing up eating all the food that was on the tray. “I don't suppose you have any extra clothes for me that you got from Ave that I can change into, do you?” she asked a few minutes after she lifted the tray for him to take back.

“If he doesn't already have it,” Cody said in reply with a small laugh as he continued to walk down the street in the pleasant weather.

Edited by SkySong278

"Unfortunately no, and every comsal blouse and dress are spoken for unfortunately. But I sent a messenger to your house this morning so Avery packed you a change of clothes and your hair brush among other things to keep you occupied. " He said taking the tray and bringing it down stairs to the kitchen, setting it down before rejoining her in his room. "Sounds like the shop is quite busy today." He commented, the girls and seamstress running around and yelling at each other could be heard three floors up where they sat. The main floor was the shop, the second and third where apartments and a pantry, however the stove was on the main floor with the girls to keep them warm in the winter months.  "You ready to go outside?" He said strapping his sword to his hip. He planned on training while she brushed the horses and petted them.  He picked her up after her answer and carried her down the steps and outside. Only when outside he set her on her feet and slowly walked her to the chair he had set out for her. 

---

Avery laughed too. "Indeed! I believe those red streaks are covering up his grey! " He said and turned down a lane heading to a shop that had ladies bustling in and out with boxes of items and their servants struggling to keep up with them. The building was brightly painted a rose pink with a lace pattern on the wood and white trim on the saches of the windows while lavender and rosemary grew in window boxes. It was a surprisingly large shop with 3 small apartments, and Zane's room took up part of the third floor and the only other spare bedroom was being used for cloth storage. It had a decent sized back yard that faced the castle's front courtyard and was actually part of the castle grounds. The small horse stable in the corner was used for messenger horses, however Zane was allowed to keep his horse inside to have him close. A chair was set out on the grass near a small garden pinned off to keep the two horses that milled around the yard from eating the veggies and herbs that grew there. 

"Aw okay and that's fine," Alex said in reply to everything that Zane said before he went downstairs with the tray that had her breakfast on it before she had eaten it all. Then when he came back and said and asked what he did she said in reply, "That's good and yes." As she was picked up and brought outside, she watched the bustling seamstresses and servants briefly before they arrived to the backyard of the shop and she was set down. She then walked slowly with him to the chair that he had set down for her earlier before sitting down in it and enjoying the day's nice weather.

~-~-

Cody laughed a bit more at Avery's statement before they arrived at a very nice looking shop that Zane and his mom lived in. He watched the seamstresses and servants moving about as they headed a bit more into the building before noticing that his brother and Alex were in the backyard of it. "I see them in the backyard," he said before leading him towards the back door and outside.

Edited by SkySong278

Zane had Toro come and lay down beside her so she can spoil him and brush his mane. He unsheathed his sword and started to do a few poses when he saw Avery hike up his skirts and dash in front of him souly focused on his sister. Lucky for him Zane had fast reflexes or Avery would have had his neck slashed if Zane hadn't lifted the blade from a thrust to a spin move at the last second. "Watch it! I could've taken your head off!" He sighed in exasperation. "We just had to pick the two most troublesome siblings in the kingdom didn't we brother?" He said jabbing his blade point down in the grass to free his hands to clasp one of Cody's arms and pull him into a hug of sorts. "How's things with dad and you?"

-

Avery ran straight to his sister. "Alex! Thank goodness you're okay! I've been worried sick! I brought some of your clothes over and I got something for you at the festival in town you might like. I know you aren't one for jewelry, but this necklace is unbreakable and can prevent magical items like swords of poison or impenetrable armor in an opponent's possession used against you to be rendered useless. I thought you could wear your ring on it." He said pulling out the now shinny chain that was silver with laptiz luzi runes engraved on it. 

Alex smiled at Zane when he brought Toro over to her and then gave the latter a pear slice before brushing his mane. She was halfway-through doing that when she noticed Avery coming towards her and Zane almost causing him an injury. "I'm fine but not able to move much. Thank you for the clothes and the necklace is very lovely so thank you for that as well. I'll definitely put it to good use," she said in reply to everything he said before taking the chain from him.

~-~-

"Yes but at least they keep us on our toes and they make us happy so can't complain much," Cody said in reply to the first question before he was given a hug. He hugged Zane back before hearing the second question. "Everything's fine and speaking of dad he'd like to meet Alex in person whenever you'd like to bring her the next time you go see him," he said in reply just as he pulled away from the hug.

Edited by SkySong278

"True brother! I could've asked for a better woman let alone find one as bull headed and feisty as she! Aye, she has me wrapped around her little finger and she knows it." He laughed shaking his head. "That may not be for a little while. She nearly scared the daylight out of me this morning when she nearly slipped her stitches when I checked her wound. My heart is torn in two. My duty is to our king, and with an assassination attempt on both he and his wife I'm worried about the young Prince abroad at school, and I'm not sure I trust anyone but myself to provide protection for his majesty. Except for you if course. Then again.... I can't leave Alex. She's too darn stubborn and would insist on doing things on her own I fear she will make her pain and injury even worse than it already is. Cody she lost a bit of blood... and it was too close to a major organ for my liking. Although the doctor would say it was purely fat and muscle it pierced. When I saw her prone I forgot my duty and ran to her believing I lost her. " He pressed a hand to his chest as if in pain. "Even if that was simply a brief shadow of the agony I'd surely feel if she truly was gravely injured, I don't ever want to relive that pure terror and... emptiness again. " He sighed. "But she did wish to be a knight. We both know it's in the job and she was well aware of it when she chose to switch with Avery. I can't discourage her or make her quit something we have fought tooth and nail for. " He shook his head. "Enough with my dark and gloomy thoughts. I heard about a festival. Are you planning on going sometime when Avery?" He asked trying to lighten the cloud he created by thinking out loud. 

--

Avery took off a bag and set it at Alex's feet trying not to step on Toro who was nibbling the grass by his shoes. "I brought your hair brush, wash cloth, hair ribbons and pins because I know you like to keep your hair up when reading, and a couple books including the one you burned two candles trying to read all night. "He said with a smile. "I included a fresh candle inside and a little bottle of oil to make you smell nice. " He said listing the items while counting on his fingers. "I believe I got everything you might need for a week or two recovering... I'm glad you like the necklace. I managed to buy it cheep, poor salesman didn't know what he had. Thought it was a old rusted chain from some dead guy. " He grinned. "But as a scribe, I know many things! It's a man's chain too, so it'll be durable and won't get caught in your armor or chain mail." 

Alex listened to everything that Avery said after he set the bag down near her that had a few necessities of hers that she would need while recovering. "Thanks Ave and that'll definitely be a good thing. I'll check it out when I get back to work next week," she said in reply. "So have you done any other fun things aside from going to that festival with Cody?"

~-~-

Cody chuckled a bit when he heard what Zane said in his first statement before hearing everything else that he said. "Well you can always go after she recovers and tell her where you're going and why while I take your place or she has another one of the knights that help you guys guard His and Her Majesty do that until you get back. You'll just have to hope that she doesn't do anything else that would seriously injure her," he said before hearing the question and statement about the festival. "I went last night with him after he got off of work and we found a few things for you guys. While he found a durable chain that can also help keep her safe as well as to put the ring that you gave her on it so that it doesn't get caught on either her armor or chain mail, I found a new sword sheathe for you because I noticed the one you have now is starting to get a bit worn out," he said in reply before handing him the sheathe.

Edited by SkySong278

"Nuh uh, the doctor said two weeks. I'll make you do one and a half just to be safe. I know how you are, and I'll be in contact with Z so if you over do it, I will know and send gramps and uncle to watch you too!" He warned wagging his finger at his sister. 

--

Zane took the sheath. He studied the tooled leather and stitch work. "Thanks! Mines held together by burlap, old saddle leather, boot parts and a prayer. I'm shocked it lasted this long. Had to get my sword sharpened and strengthened two weeks ago. Had to rewrap the pummel too. Looks long enough. My blade has a little hook on the end of it. Not enough to be seen, just a tiny notch to make it easier to inflict damage with on an enemy. Let's see if it snags..."He grabbed his blade and slipped it into the sheath. He undid his old one from his belt, slipped on the new one and did a quick draw. If anything, he was faster exposing the blade. "Wood interior. Keeps it sturdy and no snags on the stitching. Very nice. Wouldn't expect anything less from my own brother. You know me too well." He said with a grin. "Spar?"

"The castle doctor said one. Okay about the one and a half weeks and fine," Alex said in reply as she carefully crossed her arms over her chest. "You didn't answer my question."

~-~-

"You're welcome and I'm surprised as well that it made it this far without falling apart. Well friend-turned brother actually and sure," Cody said in reply to everything that Zane said and asked before taking out his own sword and getting into position shortly afterward. "You know, you didn't answer my statement regarding me or some other knight/guard in your group to take your place when you go abroad as well as tell Alex that you might plan on doing that after she recovers."

Edited by SkySong278

"Oh well, I have a dagger and he's going to teach me to use it. And um... He came over this morning. I wasn't ready yet. I hope he didn't see, I probably looked horrible. " He said. "We had lunch at the festival too. So. You slept in Zane's house. How was that? " He asked slyly wiggling his manicured eyebrows at her. "Do I have to scold him for anything sister?"

--

Zane grinned. "You were a brother to me long before your dad adopted me. " his sword met with Cody's and he started their spar. "Looks like we got an audience." He said jerking his head towards the shop where some of the ladies went out to see the commotion and stood at the gate

"That's good and I'm sure he didn't and that you looked fine. I bet they had good food and if I hadn't gotten myself injured, I'd ask Zane if we could go. He carries me around since I'm not supposed to be standing or moving around on my own right now. Um yeah, I did and it was fine. No you don't because he only slept beside me and didn't do anything," Alex said in reply to everything that Avery said and asked and she now had a small blush on her cheeks after she had said what she did last.

~-~-

"That's true I guess and yes, it does. Good thing we're both taken," Cody said in reply to both of Zane's statements before retaliating with his own hit against the former's sword.

Edited by SkySong278

"Good! " Avery said turning to watch them spar. "You're one lucky girl. I hear half the ladies come here because Zane is often seen waiting on the ladies or reading in a corner of the waiting room. They simply squeal and twitter when they hear he's near. " Avery giggled. 

---

"Yes sure am..." He did a complex offense move. "Otherwise we'll be flocked by girls begging us to court them." He huffed pushing Cody back. 

"Mhm. Oh? Well they'll have to be disappointed then when they find that he's been taken," Alex said in reply as she also watched them spar.

~-~-

Cody continued to swing his sword toward Zane and then pushed back when the former did the same movement. "Yep which will probably be really exhausting."

Edited by SkySong278

"Indeed. It would be-" Rrrriiip! he paused with his body twisted, red linen shirt tailored to him was ripped down the back seem. He slashed the sword through the air. "Blasting buckets of...... arrgah!" He snarled yanking the cloth over his head after impaling his sword in the ground again. "Every single time with that move!" He said inspecting the damage. It split from neck to waist. "This one is done for. I usually wear cotton or silk because it's stronger than this." He heaved a sigh as the girls started squealing and fanning themselves at the sight of the shirtless man, despite the scars that littered his torso and back he was well muscled. He was about to put the shirt back on to stop the gaggle of giggling girls, when Toro sprang to his hooves, darted over and snagged the shirt and started throwing his head around waving it like a flag. 

"Toro! Get back here you stupid animal!" Zane shouted as a game of keep away started. It lasted about five minutes before Zane gave up, returning to his sword and got ready to spar again. "Well, I guess I'll just do without. Ready again?" He asked Cody.

---

Avery giggled and laughed at the scene of the horse prancing around waving his price at Zane like the horse was the matrador and Zane the bull. Once the chase ended the white horse trotted over to Alex and Avery head low and waved the cloth slightly before dropping it in Alex's lap. He then nosed her sleeve before running over to Spot and wanting to play some more, trying to get the other horse to run through a narrow pen and out to a field beyond the small back yard at the side of the castle near the queen's garden. 

Alex sighed as well when she saw him take his shirt off for she couldn't get tired of the sight. She then rolled her eyes a bit when she heard the other girls that had flocked to see them spar start squealing and fan themselves at the sight of him being shirtless. When she noticed Toro get up and then prance over to him only to grab his shirt and start playing with it, she couldn't help but giggle a bit but was careful not to do it too much for it would really hurt her injury. She petted him after he had dropped Zane's shirt in her lap and then watched as he went into the stable. She then turned her attention back to her love and Cody when she heard the former ask the latter if he was ready again.

Spot looked over his stall when he heard Toro come in and then whinnied before getting out and following him to the field near the garden of the castle.

~-~-

Cody just chuckled at the sight of Toro waving Zane's shirt around to get him to play with him before the game stopped and Zane asked if he was ready again. "Yep if you are," he said in reply before making the first move this time. He had also sighed a bit when he heard the other girls squeal at the sight of his shirtless brother but was now just ignoring them.

Edited by SkySong278

Zane nodded and attacked again, not holding back this time. He tried out a new move he made. Using the little hook on his sword, he caught Cody's blade and throwing his weight to the side he yanked the sword down intending to disarm his brother before spinning around so they were back to back, Zane's sword across Cody's chest effectively pinning Cody and protecting his backside from further attacks. "Ha! It works! I call that Assassin's whip. You like?" He danced away grinning and went over to Alex. "I'm going to teach that to you when I'm sure you're better. "

He then sheathed his sword, tilting her head up and kissed her deeply, chuckling as a collective gasp came from the girls and sour looks followed. 

----

Avery promptly swatted Zane with his hand fan. "Ow!" He complained rubbing his head. "What was that for?"

"You don't kiss a lady like that in public!" Avery scolded him . 

Zane threw his head back and laughed. "Alex isn't a lady! She's a warrior! A warrior I'm gonna marry someday so I'm going to kiss her all I want..." He sat down in front of Alex. "Could you give me a neck rub please mi corazon? I think I slept wrong."

Alex continued to watch the continued sparring against Zane and Cody, impressed with the new move the former had come up with. "I'd like that a lot," she said in reply to his statement about teaching it to her when she was better before being kissed deeply by him. She kissed him back before blushing when she saw the sour looks the girls had on their faces after he had pulled back. Then she giggled a bit when Avery swatted him with his hand fan before continuing the former's trailed off statement, "Or however you want." "Of course mi amore," she said in reply to his question about giving him a neck rub before doing just that after he sat down in front of her. "He's right, though Ave. I'm not a lady but I do appreciate you wanting to look out for me."

~-~-

Cody's sword was dislodged after Zane's new move and he was now pinned against the former's back by his sword. "Very nice and very much so and I'd like to learn that move the next time we get together," he said in reply to what he said and asked before following him over to where Avery and Alex were. He chuckled a bit at the girls' collective gasp at Zane and Alex's kiss and did it again when he watched Avery swat him on the head with his fan. "Remind me to stay on your good side," he told the latter before kissing him softly on the forehead.

Edited by SkySong278

Avery smiled and leaned against Cody. "That's how a gentleman should behave. " He said looking pointedly at Zane. 

Zane had his head low and hummed in content. "I'm no gentleman. However I am a man of honor. There's a difference. I can respect women without having to listen to the strict stuffy rules of the court. The king thinks my outlook on things is quite refreshing. I'll definitely teach that move to you, but you need a nick on the edge of your sword to do it.  But I believe I can modify it so swords that aren't as unique as mine can do the same."

"Zane can be different and doesn't always have to be a gentleman Ave," Alex said with a sigh while still rubbing Zane's shoulders and Cody wrapped an arm around Avery. "Alright and I can't wait to learn that move. Perhaps I can learn it at the same time as Alex," he said in reply after a few minutes of silence. "Also if you'd be interested in Avery and me coming over for dinner in a few days when Alex is recovered a bit more from her injury it'll be like we're on a double date or I guess if you'd prefer to wait until she's fully recovered and we're out at a restaurant instead we can do that."

"A few days sounds lovely. However it won't be a date, mama would be there with us. This is her house too. I'm trying to save up for our own house. With the king's pay, I could get a good sized house with a stable and a yard. I'd like to have a garden like I do here. Yes... I garden. It was a great way to get out and away from my father but now I find it relaxing. " 

---

Avery laughed. "You two are definitely made for each other. Really? I didn't know about that. Definitely not something I'd imagine a knight doing. " 

"Thanks," Alex said in reply to what Avery said first but then just sighed and gave him a slight "really?" look at his statement regarding Zane having a garden but didn't say anything as she stopped rubbing the latter's shoulders. Then she carefully straightened up again in the chair she was sitting in so that wasn't making her injury hurt.

~-~-

"Okay and that sounds like a good goal. I hope you guys will get one soon," Cody said in reply to Zane's first few statements before hearing what he said about gardening. "That sounds like a good hobby to have," he said before chuckling slightly at Alex's expression towards Avery.

Edited by SkySong278