SkySong278

A Knight's Story

Alex nodded and then looked into his eyes while he took a tissue and wiped away her tears with it. “I guess we should go back out to the training yard now, huh?” she asked after a little while before starting to head back out of the stables.

Edited by SkySong278

Zane nodded and went outside the stables. The trainer had him immediately sent to the nurse and studied Alex. " Now I know why your father wanted you out, but I'll stick by my decision to keep you. However you'll be moved to share the woman's quarters. To kick you out would be a waist of wonderful talent. So, you may stay, however, you and the boys will be separated, and only allowed to talk during training and dinner. I will not have a dozen teenage boys around you while sleeping for obvious reasons. I will install a curfew, and to break it is a warning. Am i clear? " He asked her. "You should see the nurse, a cold compress can only last so long in this heat. Have her check for broken ribs." He waved her off before saying the same thing to the boys and then to the guards.

Alex stood in front of the instructor after Zane was told to go to the medic and listened to everything that the former said, nodding in understanding when he was done. "Yes sir," she said in reply to the first few statements he said about her new room arrangement. She then nodded again in reply to what he said about her going back to the nurse to check out her stomach for broken ribs before doing just that. After her stomach was checked over again and it was discovered that none of her ribs were broken, she went back into the castle and to the room that she was staying in before she started moving her things to her new room in the girls' area.

-~-~-

Cody had gone back to his and Zane's shared room to get a few things and then headed out to go to the convent for a little while before dinner to make sure that Avery and the girls there were okay. His dad had asked him to go there from time time to check on him just to make sure that he was okay and that the same thing that happened to Alex wouldn't happen to him. When he got there a few hours later, it was a long ride, he went to the door and knocked on it.

Edited by SkySong278

The door opened and a nun looked outside. "Oh my, come inside dear. We're just about to have dinner." She waved him inside. Dominique was already there and Avery looked nervous, sitting at the far end of the table.

((uh oh. I sense trouble between Avery and Dominique...))

By the time dinner was ready at the castle, Alex had moved all of her stuff from the room that she had stayed in since the first day that she had arrived there to the new room that she was supposed to stay in now. She tried to hide her face bruise with powder make up before going downstairs to eat.

-~-~-

Cody nodded with a smile before following her inside and towards the dinner table. He froze when he saw Dominique there before asking the nun softly, "Sister what is he doing here? He was involved in an incident with Avery's brother at the castle earlier. I'm afraid that he might harm her." He then added a few minutes later after thinking up something that might help, "With your permission I was wondering if I could actually take her back to the castle with me where she can be safe for a little while and then you can let me know via messenger bird or letter when Sir Dominique is gone and it's safe to bring her back here."

Edited by SkySong278

Zane sat in a chair struggling to eat. He was left handed, and it was his left wrist that was broken. He looked over at her and kicked out a chair so she can sit next to him. "How are you holding up?" he asked.

----

The nun tilted her head then nodded. "I'll let mother Catherine know. " She went and whispered something to Avery then to the mother. Avery excused himself from the table and went to pack then joined Cody in the hall.

((sorry. I meant to post that only about you posting in here. it was mostly to let you know that I posted and for it to be easier for you to find))

"Okay I guess. A bit sore but I'll be fine in a few days after the bruises have completely healed," Alex said in reply to Zane's question with a small smile as she sat down gingerly in the chair beside him. The bruise on her back was in the middle of it so she wanted to be careful in case she accidentally hit that part of it against the back of the chair. She ate her food and thought of Avery and if he was okay. "I'm guessing the others told you about the curfew and that you guys can only see me at dinner and training as well as him wanting me in the girls' section of the castle and not the boys'?" she asked after a few minutes or so and after she had swallowed the bite of food that she had been chewing.

-~-~-

Cody nodded and then watched as Avery excused himself from the table and then went up to pack a few things. He was waiting for him in the front hallway when he came back down and then offered his arm to him like a true gentleman before walking out to where he had left Chestnut grazing outside the convent. "Sorry that I came unexpectedly without letting you know but your father asked me to check on you from time to time to make sure Sir Dominique won't hurt you. When I saw him there I thought I'd try to keep you safe back at the castle and that way you can ask and see Alex yourself on how she's doing," he said while helping him mount onto the back of his horse.

Edited by SkySong278

"No, i haven't herd that... I guess i can understand why." He said as he struggled to pick up his fork. "Blast!" He cursed as his stew fell back into his bowl as he was about to take a bite. "At least you're able to stay and become a knight. "

--------

Avery nodded and saddled up his mare then adding the bags he packed before mounting. "I'd like that. I feel safer there. And i thing dad sent some guards out for extra protection. However, me not being present here doesn't mean he can reek havoc. He can still tell them about me. " He said worriedly.

"Oh okay and I don't mind being put in the women's quarter now. Yes I'm glad that I can stay and continue my training to be a knight and do you need help?" Alex said and asked in reply to everything Zane said before noticing that he was having a bit of trouble eating.

-~-~-

"I'm glad you feel safer there and we'll take care of that problem when it happens but for now let's focus on getting you in a safe place so that he won't be able to hurt you. That's what I'm concerned with right now," Cody said in reply after getting on Chestnut and starting to lead the way back to the castle.

tsing to knighthood ceremony

--------------

The day of the knighthood ceremony arrived at the castle and Alex was a bit nervous. She was currently dressing in her navy blue dress that she hadn't worn yet. All of the bruises that she had gotten from Sir Dominique have all healed so she no longer needed to be careful when sitting down or walking. Her hair had gotten a bit longer by this time so she was fixing it to be put in a short braid before wrapping it around her head and then using bobby pins to keep it in place. After looking in the mirror at herself for a few minutes after finishing with her hair, she took a deep breath and then left her room to head outside to the training area where the ceremony was going to take place.

-~-~-

Cody was also getting ready for the ceremony and getting dressed in a really nice suit like what he was dressed in at the ball and he pulled his hair back into a short ponytail. It had gotten a bit longer during the rest of their training before today and he had let it grow that long. As he was finishing getting ready, he hoped that nothing would happen that would cause anything bad or too much chaos that the ceremony would be delayed in finishing for. He then sighed after a few minutes or so and then headed outside to the training area.

Edited by SkySong278

Zane was in a deep red and gold trimmed suit. His hair had grown passed his shoulders, so he had it tied at the nape of his neck with a gold ribbon. In the past months, he had been disowned by his father, adopted by cody's dad and he and his mom moved in to a small hut outside of town, living together. He began working part time as a butcher to help his mom pay for the hut. He smoothed the clothes and waited with the graduating class in the courtyard in stoic silence.

---

Avery was in a beautiful pale pink dress with darer pink roses winding up the skirt and around his waist. the top was frilly with la and a fluffy fabric. He loved this dress and stood with Cody's dad and his own father watching the ceremony with a bright smile on his face.

Alex found Zane and stood beside him and said quietly with a small smile and blush on her face, "You look very handsome. I'm a bit nervous and worried, though. What if Sir Dominique tries something while the ceremony goes on?" She scratched her head a bit and made sure to do it in the middle of the top of it so that she didn't accidentally undo her hairdo. After she said what she did, the ceremony started and she looked over at her dad and brother to see them smiling which made her smile a bit but it wasn't showing in her eyes.

-~-~-

Cody looked over at Avery and winked at him before having his full attention be on their instructor and what he was saying during the ceremony. When all the formality talk was done, the former trainees were starting to be knighted one by one.

Edited by SkySong278

Dominique rode in just before Alex was knighted with a sheriff who's horse pulled a prisoner buggy. "Halt!" Called the sheriff.

"What's the matter sir?" The trainer said. "Can't it wait until after these brave cadets are knighted?"

"No can do sir." The Sheriff said shaking his head. "One can't be a knight if they have charges against them my Lord." He got down from the buggy and pulled out a scroll. "Charged with attempted murder, theft, and assault on a noble woman, Zane Xavier Garcia Rodriguez is no longer acceptable for becoming a knight and is arrested for trial in front of the king!" He read out loud.

"Excuse me, but Zane never left the premises." Avery called.

Alex was awaiting her name to be called for her knighthood when Sir Dominique rode up with the local sheriff. Uh-oh. This can't be good, she thought to herself and ended up being right when she heard what the latter announced. She looked a bit shocked before opening her mouth to say something when Avery beat her to it. "He's been at the castle the entire time. He couldn't have done what you're accusing him of," she said after her brother was done saying what he did.

Cody was about to be proud of Alex for being knighted and he was going to after her when the two rode up and the sheriff said what he did. "That's a ridiculous claim," he said after both Avery and Alex said what they did with an angry look on his face. "He would never do those things."

Edited by Dragonpelt

"We have witnesses saying otherwise, and Lord Dominique was nearly his murder victim!" Shouted the sheriff as he pulled out the shackles.

Zane stepped forward and held out his hands. "Ha! He proves his guilt by willingly being arrested!" Dominique laughed, however the sheriff wasn't so sure. He found it unsettling that the young lad made no pleas of innocence or resistance of any kind. "I'm sure it will be proven true or false in court held in a fortnight. If you truly are innocent, may the king pardon you and knight you himself..."Sheriff replied, forgoing the shackles and letting Zane get in the buggy himself before closing the door behind him, not even bothering to lock it.

"What are you doing? He's a flight risk and dangerous!" Dominique demanded spittle flying from his mouth. "I order you to chain him up!"

"If he was a flight risk, he would have ran, and if dangerous, he would have fought. Not walk up to me and offer his hands to me." He said simply. "Please continue the ceremony sir. "The Sheriff said and turned the buggy around.

"Wait!... can I see her get knighted? As a final request please? "Zane called from the back and looked out of the narrow bars that made the window in the back of the carriage. Sheriff tilted his head. "Don't see why not. Dominique, go on ahead." He said. "I will not-" "do so or I'll hold you in there for disobeying an officer of the king!" Dominique huffed and rode away.

Both Alex and Cody looked outright shocked when Zane all of the sudden stepped forward to be put in the back of the carriage without pleading that he was innocent. She was about to go over there and ask him why he did that when she heard what he said about him seeing her get knighted. She controlled herself before turning her attention back to being on their instructor. He knighted her and Cody before the rest of the trainees and before she went over to the carriage to see Zane. "Why did you give yourself up without a fight and argue of being innocent? I know you are," she asked and said with her eyes sparkling with tears that were threatening to fall.

-~-~-

Cody was glad that Alex was knighted and that Zane was able to see her be so but was still quite shocked as he just gave himself up without a fight. When he was knighted, he smiled happily and then turned to look at Avery for his reaction as Alex went to the carriage to see Zane.

Edited by SkySong278

"Because mi reina if I am found innocent, which I would be, in the eyes of the king, Dominique could no longer harm me or you. " He said reaching out his hand between the bars. "Take this. It was mother's, to give to the man she loved a married, but she never loved him, and married him for she was with child because of him at the time. I want you to have it." He dropped a ring that had a castle on it, the castle opened up, showing a tiny table and four chairs inside into her hand. " Take care, mi reina y mi amore . My queen and my love." He translated for her. "Visit me if you can."

--

Avery hugged Cody then kissed his cheek before watching his sister's face fall into heartbreak. "Why didn't he resist?" He muttered leaning against Cody.

Alex listened to everything he said about why he didn't fight and argue when he was put in the carriage and nodded before wiping her eyes clear of the tears that had started to fall. She then put out her hand when she saw and heard that he wanted to give her something before looking down at what he had given her. It was a beautiful ring that had a castle on it and opened up to reveal a table and four chairs around it. "It's beautiful. I'm happy to wear it and you really think of me as such?" she said and asked after a few minutes and also after she had found her voice again. "I'll visit you tomorrow night if that's okay and write you. I hope they don't keep you there for very long. After today, I think I'm going to go back home for a little while before I go on any quests for the king so you can send the letters you write back to me there instead of here. I love you." After she said the last few statements, she blew him a kiss, then went to stand next to Avery and Cody while putting the ring on the ring finger of her right hand, and looked back towards the carriage afterward so that they could watch him go.

-~-~-

Cody hugged Avery back and returned the peck on the cheek before he heard his muttered question. "I'm not sure but I hope he has a plan to get out of it," he said before he saw Alex come towards them with Zane's mother's ring. "What did Zane say?" he asked her when she had her attention be on the carriage instead of the ring.

"He said that he'd like to be found innocent in the eyes of the king, which he knows he will be, so that he can get Dominique to leave him and me alone so that he won't hurt us anymore," she said in reply with her attention still on the carriage.

tsing a bit to the next night

---------

The next night came and Alex rode Spot to the prison where Zane was staying with a hooded cape on. She had told her parents and Avery where she was going and made sure to have her sword and a few daggers with her just in case she was approached by bandits or highwaymen. She arrived there a little while later without incident and requested of the guards outside that she visit Zane after throwing back the hood to reveal her face and also telling them who she was. They let her in after she had dismounted and she went to where his cell was before saying with a smile on her face, "Zane".

((also I'm going to be out of town this weekend and will be back in town on Wednesday so I might not post a whole lot during the day while at my sister's but I'll try to post what I can at night before I go to bed))

Edited by Dragonpelt

Zane although in for a day, already looked scruffy. Dark stubble on his lip, hair dirty and tangled from sleeping on the floor. He was stripped of his clothes and given a threadbare grey tattered tunic and torn grey trousers made of cotton. He lay on the iron slab chained to the wall, too tall for it and not even remotely comfortable.

Hearing her voice he sat up quickly, and promptly fell on the dirty ground, before scrambling up and springing to the bars,only to be halted by a length of chain that ran from the wall to his ankle, stopping him two feet away from the bars. "Alex!" He breathed, thanking his lucky stars he had long legs and arms. With careful maneuvering and stretching he reached his hand through the bars.

Alex had one of her hands put his hand against her cheek before asking with a bit of concern in her voice, “Are you okay?” She had seen him fall off of the slab and onto the dirty floor so she wanted to make sure he wasn’t hurt too badly. She then asked a few minutes after the first one with curiosity now in her voice, “Do you know when you’ll be put in front of the king to plead your case yet?”

"Four weeks from now. " He said softly rubbing his thumb on her cheek. "I'm fine dear.. I'm more concerned about you. " He smiled spotting the ring on her finger. "You're wearing it... mi reina I'm glad you are. When are you going to come by again? Sorry I haven't cleaned up. I'm so sorry for leaving like that..."

Alex nodded when she heard what he said about when his trial was before saying in reply after letting out a small sigh while he rubbed her cheek with his thumb, "That seems like an awful long time. Too long and I'll be waiting in suspense to see if you'll be innocent or not." She then heard the rest of what he said before saying in reply to those statements as well, "I'm glad and I'm fine as well. My home is one of the safest places I can be aside from the castle. There are eight well trained guards around our house and my uncle and grandpa as well as my dad so if Sir Dominique tries anything, he'd have to get through them first before he can get to me. I also came here prepared with sword and daggers as well as a bow and a quiver of arrows in case I was attacked by bandits or highwaymen but I didn't encounter those on the way here. I'll be careful going home and be on the lookout for those people again. I haven't taken it off since you gave it to me yesterday and I love you so of course I'm wearing it. Two days from now and it's okay; they probably don't let you shave or shower when you're a prisoner but you'll probably have to do that before you go to trial."

Edited by SkySong278

"I was thinking about growing out my mustache... " He rubbed the stubble on his lip. "Hopefully they do. I already feel gross. I am a stickler for cleanliness. How's Cody? And your brother? Did Cody ask your dad yet to court him?" He asked. "A little gossip is nice, it gets quite dull in here. I've asked for a book but they don't want me to throw it at a guard. Apparently, although I've been quite compliment, they treat me like I have really done those charges against me. So, them letting you in here to see me shocked me. Then again, most where at the party and saw how even we were so.. I guess not so much..."

“That can be doable in four weeks’ time and I’d be fine with that,” Alex said in reply before she heard the rest of what he said. “I bet and they’re both doing well. I’m not sure if he has asked my dad about courting Avery yet. I haven’t asked and I don’t think they’d tell me if I did. I’d be happy to sneak in a book for you when I come visit you in two days and I guess I seemed non-threatening enough that they let me see you. That’s silly that they’d think that unless Dominique persuaded them in some way to think that you did what you were charged with.”

Edited by Dragonpelt

"Eh. I look a little wild, it wouldn't be the first time I've heard that. It's the eyes. Been known as Diablo devil for them. " He said with a smirk. "Why wouldn't he tell you? He's your brother, your twin. You two are close. " He said, trying to stretch further eyes turning sad. "I'll keep my promise, I'll ask your father to court you. "