Tecca

Change the Way Gemshards Breed

There's a million little things the player has control over. Can't we just leave this one breeding to chance?

It would seem our definitions of fun are perhaps different. You seem to believe that anything that delays gratification is not fun. I disagree.

It's not just "this one breeding". Nebulas, dorsals, ridgewings, stripe x stripe (as well as some other stripe x something lines) are pure luck of the draw, too. And I'm not even talking about alts, which are supposed to be rare, or about the odd breeders (xenos, coppers and avatars), which at least have a better chance to go right than to go wrong. And with all of those (save rare alts and nebulas with their 50% chance), you know what you'll get once you see the egg.

As you admit yourself, random breeding is a feature among multiple dragons, and not knowing what you'll get until the egg hatches is as well. I fail to see how this admission lends support to any attempt to convince me or T.J. to change how Gemshards reproduce.

Edited by Odeen

There's a million little things the player has control over. Can't we just leave this one breeding to chance?

It would seem our definitions of fun are perhaps different. You seem to believe that anything that delays gratification is not fun. I disagree.

And I agree with you. Having everything immediately obvious takes something away - hard to express what, but that little wait for the surprise adds something !

I'm always in favour of higher odds of breeding true. I took me very long to breed 3 PB Gemshards each and I'm having a great nightmare with Stripes... I wish the pure colours had at least slightly higher odds than the others... my bf does't want to choose Gemshards for lineages even though these are the rare case of females being prettier than males. He picked a few breeds with males he liked enough to maybe try some checers with but he can't decide on good females yet, though he considered one of the Gemshard females but gave up because of the frustrating odds for each colour.

I had a frustrating period with Gemshards but for now it doesn't affect me anymore(I mean directly), though makes me worried that people will kill more of the offspring of my Gemshards because of the 'wrong colour' than they would if there were at least a bit higher odds of them breeding true in terms of colour(which would reduce the number of mis-coloured offspring). I aim at making as long progenies of my dragons as possible and ofc killed offspring doesn't show in the progenies after the 2weeks period...

As for the 'egg mistery', I persnally really don't like it on any breed that has it. It makes it much more frustrating when the egg alts or colours wrong after all the hatching effort and time(and ofc the scroll egg locking while the slot could be used for sth you can be sure about instead).

Right now it's alt Blacks for me, the rest of my frustration is Stripeds not breeding true and tan Ridgewings producing the bluish ones (while the bluish pair breeds Tans pretty well:() while I need just 1 more... I'm pretty glad only the Blacks have the egg mistery out of these. But still, the rest has the total randomness of colour...

you know, all my current trouble is about both features Gemshards have. I can see why at lest some players don't like the mechanics as it is - for at least a few possible reasons. In case of Gemshards, there is a combo of random colours having the same odds regardless of the parents plus the egg mystery adding to the frustration.

Just a few cents?

Call me a glutton for "punishment" but I like the way the color is random right now.

It makes you work for the right color that you want.

From my experience, when I have to work to get the right color for a project...I feel more invested and I spend more time with that project and with projects where everything is easy...I tend to forget those projects and they're moved to the back burner.

The Aeon's BSA sounds like it might fix this problem. Anyone want to confirm?

Precognition

A glimpse into the future will reveal the true nature of a hatchling or egg.

All gemshards lay solid brown eggs regardless of the parent or offspring color, and I'm pretty sure I already addressed the question of a BSA.

well like a possible answer to this would just have the bred eggs the shards on them if you use a bsa or something have the gem shards on the egg all be a uniform colour that would be the hatchie colour

and the aeon wouldnt work because it just tells us the gender of the hatchie which i think is a pretty good enough bsa no need to overpower it

The Aeon's BSA sounds like it might fix this problem.  Anyone want to confirm?

Precognition

A glimpse into the future will reveal the true nature of a hatchling or egg.

Just reveals the gender, nothing more. From the release thread:

I just got an adult, and what do you know--Aeons do indeed have a BSA! It's called Precognition, and reveals the gender of an egg or S1 hatchling!

Actions Page

BSA Page

Results Page

well like a possible answer to this would just have the bred eggs the shards on them if you use a bsa or something have the gem shards on the egg all be a uniform colour that would be the hatchie colour

I designed the breed to hatch random colors with no prior indicator for, or ability to influence, what color emerges. I won't be changing the eggs to undermine that intent.

At this point, I think the answer is a solid no. If users come up with a different suggestion than anything that Odeen commented on in this thread, you can create a new thread (or PM Odeen).