Dekka

Different Size Eggs in the Cave

So, since we now have a different size egg sprite for drakes, I got to thinking. Wouldn't it be great if we could see the different sizes in the cave? So, perhaps we could have this sprite –

user posted image in different sizes in the cave. We could have a pygmy and drake size mystery egg. It wouldn't necessarily be an important change, just something nice for the cave imo. (:

Thoughts?

I've been on DC since the early days and a lot has changed for the better. But there is one particular feature that seems to be "behind the times" and that is that pygmy dragons display normal-sized eggs in the biomes.

The descriptions already say the egg is tiny, so showing that the eggs are smaller isn't giving anyone an unfair advantage. This fact is clearly stated already. It would be a nice touch to fit in with the consistency of the site.

Before anyone says "well drakes also have different eggs", not so fast! Pygmies have been in line for this change for a long time. Not only this but the contrast between pygmy eggs and normal eggs is much greater than anything else on the site.

I made a sprite for the purpose:

user posted image

And as an example:

user posted image

The question mark might look misaligned to some people, but the sprite proportions don't allow it to be centered.

And thus lies my proposition.

user posted image

If we do this, we should keep the 'click area' the same. I at least would find it more difficult to click on the tiny area of the pygmy egg--I mean, not many people are competing for those since we don't have any rare pygmies, but still. I sometimes have a hard time clicking the normal egg sprite, so trying to click anything smaller would be a nightmare for me.
Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

Don't really like it, after all it's a mystery egg image - all eggs having the same sprite is the point of it wink.gif

Also, I think competition on top of the hour and during 5-minute-shuffles could become harder if you could see at a glance which eggs belong to which breeding group (since all really rare ones are in the same group, so everyone would race for them).

No. It's a "Mystery" egg. There is no reason to have different sized mysteries.

Think about it, you win a random grab bag from a party, they come in three sizes: small, medium, and large....Are you really going to take anything but the large knowing nothing else about them? If you've been around long enough to know what the size difference means, you also already know the descriptions so it completely unnecessary.

Add to this that we have had pygmy eggs for years and they all look the same too. No support.

I was thinking about this the other day. I could go either way. The eggs are different sizes, so it would be kind of nice to see that reflected. And there are multiple drake/pygmy types, so the actual egg would still be a mystery.

So won't be disappointed if this isn't done, but I do think it would be a nice touch. o3o

I was thinking about this the other day. I could go either way. The eggs are different sizes, so it would be kind of nice to see that reflected. And there are multiple drake/pygmy types, so the actual egg would still be a mystery.

So won't be disappointed if this isn't done, but I do think it would be a nice touch. o3o

This is basically how I see this idea as well.

If we do this, we should keep the 'click area' the same. I at least would find it more difficult to click on the tiny area of the pygmy egg--I mean, not many people are competing for those since we don't have any rare pygmies, but still. I sometimes have a hard time clicking the normal egg sprite, so trying to click anything smaller would be a nightmare for me.

I couldn't have worded this any better than Sock.

People won't just auto-rush all regular sized eggs in hope of getting a rare. Rares are rare, and hardly any of the regular eggs are rares.

Putting the different egg sizes into a universal fixed-size container is brilliant. I imagine a container just slightly larger than the regular egg size would work well.

---

This would be a fun to see happen (I'm also curious to see how tiny the question mark on a pygmy egg would be.), especially as we get more drakes and pygmies. But it's also that kind of thing where it isn't a huge bummer if it doesn't happen.

/here here

I agree, a nice little touch though not a game breaker

Putting the different egg sizes into a universal fixed-size container is brilliant. I imagine a container just slightly larger than the regular egg size would work well.

---

This would be a fun to see happen (I'm also curious to see how tiny the question mark on a pygmy egg would be.), especially as we get more drakes and pygmies. But it's also that kind of thing where it isn't a huge bummer if it doesn't happen.

Yes to this. I don't mind what the egg size is, but the click area MUST be the same for all !

Agreed. I use a touch screen most of the time when I'm in the AP, and pygmies are obnoxious to try and click with my finger; I usually have to switch to the cursor, and just a few seconds can make you miss an egg.

As far as the suggestion as a whole, I'm in the same boat as Sock. This would be nice, but not the most important change to do. Pretty much anything with eyes that isn't completely blind can tell something's relative size, even if you cannot judge color or pattern for some reason. Since we're supposed to be physically looking at the eggs sitting there, we should be able to tell the difference between a Black and a Dark Myst without that much thought.

I like this idea, but I'd take it a step further. To be honest, what's the point of mystery eggs at all? After a little while of playing the game you pretty much have all the descriptions memorized anyway, so you know what you're getting. Why not just show the actual eggs?

I like this idea, but I'd take it a step further. To be honest, what's the point of mystery eggs at all? After a little while of playing the game you pretty much have all the descriptions memorized anyway, so you know what you're getting. Why not just show the actual eggs?

To be honest, I want this too. But I dont know, there may be some implications I dont see.

Weeeell, TJ just made it so you couldn't see the eggs in the cave by using the 'view' code (though you can still see it through 'lineage' for now) so I doubt it will be changed to be that. If it is though I hope they keep the descriptions, I have spent too much time memorizing those censorkip.gif things.

Weeeell, TJ just made it so you couldn't see the eggs in the cave by using the 'view' code (though you can still see it through 'lineage' for now) so I doubt it will be changed to be that. If it is though I hope they keep the descriptions, I have spent too much time memorizing those censorkip.gif things.

I do too. It would be a huge struggle to find a specific CB mate for lineage projects if they took away the description.

Definitely! Keep in mind chickens are hard to find, and they're tiny!

Don't care much either way about the suggestion, though it's a neat idea. As long as the click area is the same. smile.gif

Agreed. I use a touch screen most of the time when I'm in the AP, and pygmies are obnoxious to try and click with my finger; I usually have to switch to the cursor, and just a few seconds can make you miss an egg.

Get a touch screen pen. I didn't TRULY love my tablet till I did smile.gif

If we are looking at the eggs from a distance, or from any point of view, it is possible that a larger egg is further away than a pygmy egg, and from that vantage point, would look the same size to the human eye.

Because people are "hunting" eggs and can't really tell the details of eggs until they become more experienced "hunters" or "collectors".... (which in game play means you know what biomes are likely to drop what, what descriptions go with what eggs, times you are most likely to find what eggs, etc. etc.).....

For these reasons, I would rather just keep it the same. And you may catch a glint of something that you believe is an egg .... and you just don't know what it is. Someone else may catch that same glint and grab it faster. Maybe you are just grabbing at anything you can get and find out later what exactly it is you have. I think for the idea of the realistic RP idea of hunting, the current game mechanics work to help make that as real as you can for a non 3D interactive world.

Random idea that popped into my head: eggs become visible in the biomes after you fill out a certain % of their encyclopedia page. The encyclopedia can be considered to be our character's experience with different breeds, and realistically once you've grown very familiar with a certain type of egg you should be able to identify it on sight.

idk if this is a good idea or not, just something that occurred to me reading the other posts in this thread.

I would prefer if this wasn't implemented. There aren't a lot of pygmies and drakes on DC and some users don't collect them. If the site were to get group specific mystery eggs then it might mess up the ratios to the point when there would only be drakes/pygmies in the cave(s).

I would prefer if this wasn't implemented. There aren't a lot of pygmies and drakes on DC and some users don't collect them. If the site were to get group specific mystery eggs then it might mess up the ratios to the point when there would only be drakes/pygmies in the cave(s).

I'm reasonably certain people who want to avoid drakes and pygmies just avoid eggs with the appropriate descriptions... if the argument is "but misclicks" I'm pretty sure people could manage to misclick just as well with a different sprite, since it's already been determined the click target would be the same size.

Random idea that popped into my head: eggs become visible in the biomes after you fill out a certain % of their encyclopedia page. The encyclopedia can be considered to be our character's experience with different breeds, and realistically once you've grown very familiar with a certain type of egg you should be able to identify it on sight.

idk if this is a good idea or not, just something that occurred to me reading the other posts in this thread.

I'm pretty sure this has come up before in another thread, even with a concept to make sure ridgewings and dorsals will stay a mystery until picked up (gray scale images). Heading to bed now, I'll search for the other thread tomorrow.

Edit: I can't find the other thread, and I'm tired of searching. Maybe someone else sees this and remembers where to find the other thread.

Edited by Ha-Ki

And your point is? I spent some time learning which eggs I want and do not want to pick up. If the ones I do not want to pick up, drakes and pygmies, show up with a smaller egg, that's not going to change anything.

I (as well as probably any player who has been here for more than two-three years) have the descriptions memorized. Anyone who wants to can keep the wiki open in another tab, to check descriptions against. I really doubt changing the egg size will matter for anyone but new users--and if they're like me, they want every sprite on their scroll, anyway. Besides all that, it would take a lot for only drakes and pygmies to be left, we have so many blocker-ish dragons right now. Plenty of people pick up eggs indiscriminately and dump them in the AP for others once the time goes down.

Also, even knowing the descriptions, I still pick up plenty of drakes. I haven't finished any of my scroll goals for grown sprites.

Edited by silver_chan