Dekka

Different Size Eggs in the Cave

I don't really need this suggestion implemented and there are a bunch of other suggestions that I rank as quite higher priority than this. But I can't find a reason to be against it, so I'm not.

Changing the size of the Cave mystery egg would be defeating the purpose of the general mystery of what you grab. I know it bugs the snot out of me to take a drake, pygmy or twohead I can't bite, but I deal with it. Part of what I find makes the game interesting.

Changing the size of the Cave mystery egg would be defeating the purpose of the general mystery of what you grab. I know it bugs the snot out of me to take a drake, pygmy or twohead I can't bite, but I deal with it. Part of what I find makes the game interesting.

But you can identify them from the description, so egg size makes no difference AT ALL.. unsure.gif (and a two headed would be the same size anyway.)

If we do this, we should keep the 'click area' the same. I at least would find it more difficult to click on the tiny area of the pygmy egg--I mean, not many people are competing for those since we don't have any rare pygmies, but still. I sometimes have a hard time clicking the normal egg sprite, so trying to click anything smaller would be a nightmare for me.

This is totally fair, and I don't think it should be too hard. Just make the egg smaller but leave an invisible outline for the original size. Voila, same click area.

There aren't a lot of pygmies and drakes on DC and some users don't collect them. If the site were to get group specific mystery eggs then it might mess up the ratios to the point when there would only be drakes/pygmies in the cave(s).

I'm not understanding this at all??? I am just... not getting the logic used to come to this conclusion, sorry.

But you can identify them from the description, so egg size makes no difference AT ALL.. unsure.gif (and a two headed would be the same size anyway.)

^^^ The egg size would make it quicker, but if people don't want to pick up drakes/pygmies, they're not going to. And when they do, they're going to kill or abandon anyway, so...

I've been on DC since the early days and a lot has changed for the better. But there is one particular feature that seems to be "behind the times" and that is that pygmy dragons display normal-sized eggs in the biomes.

The descriptions already say the egg is tiny, so showing that the eggs are smaller isn't giving anyone an unfair advantage. This fact is clearly stated already. It would be a nice touch to fit in with the consistency of the site.

Before anyone says "well drakes also have different eggs", not so fast! Pygmies have been in line for this change for a long time. Not only this but the contrast between pygmy eggs and normal eggs is much greater than anything else on the site.

I made a sprite for the purpose:

user posted image

And as an example:

user posted image

(+drake version 11:11pm) user posted image

The question mark might look misaligned to some people, but the sprite proportions don't allow it to be centered.

And thus lies my proposition.

Edited by Ashywolf

I'm pretty sure the existing silhouette is not meant to be a literal representation of the egg, but is more of a placeholder. We could easily just have a question mark there with no outline.

I really don't care, I have a lot of the egg descriptions memorized by now anyway.

Also, Chickens.

That is all.

If this was going to be a thing, I think it would have happened when pygmies were first released.

I agree that the questionmark egg is not a literal silhouette, but a placeholder for an unknown egg.

Agreeing with the above posts. Plus, we'd need it for Drake eggs now, too.

Just make the egg smaller but leave an invisible outline for the original size. Voila, same click area.

As a person who has worked with web stuff I can tell you it's extremely easy to accomplish. Only a handful of minutes of effort, really.

Woops, I guess I didn't search properly.

Even with the placeholder reasoning if you have a silhouette of a tennis ball and a silhouette of a basket ball, there is going to be an obvious difference in size.

The difference between drake and normal egg is fairly small so those two categories I'd be fine merging into the same placeholder image.

Edited by Ashywolf

The difference between drake and normal egg is fairly small so those two categories I'd be fine merging into the same placeholder image.

That's not how this kind of thing works. If the visual differences in egg size are represented in-cave for one group, they need to be represented for all groups because there's a move towards accurate representation and more information conveyed. If the visual differences in egg size are not represented between any two groups, they can't be represented for another group, because that's too much effort to then maintain an inconsistency.

All or nothing, yo.

Anyways, I don't care either way, but I think it should apply to drake AND pygmy eggs, or not apply at all.

Edited by TheCompleteAnimorph

Random idea that popped into my head: eggs become visible in the biomes after you fill out a certain % of their encyclopedia page. The encyclopedia can be considered to be our character's experience with different breeds, and realistically once you've grown very familiar with a certain type of egg you should be able to identify it on sight.

idk if this is a good idea or not, just something that occurred to me reading the other posts in this thread.

I think this would be a great idea in all honesty. By the time they fill out the encyclopedia they probably already know exactly what they are getting.

But let's say they didn't, then they would get an egg they don't want which would end up in the Abandoned Page or killed so it is a great idea!

As for changing the mystery eggs... I don't see why not it still remains a mystery (at least for pygmies since all of their descriptions have the word "tiny" in it). This would work even better with a larger variety of pygmies & drakes.

I'd prefer it if the eggs stayed the same as they are now. There's a reason the cave only shows mystery eggs. Part of that mystery is the egg size.

I've been on DC since the early days and a lot has changed for the better. But there is one particular feature that seems to be "behind the times" and that is that pygmy dragons display normal-sized eggs in the biomes.

The descriptions already say the egg is tiny, so showing that the eggs are smaller isn't giving anyone an unfair advantage. This fact is clearly stated already. It would be a nice touch to fit in with the consistency of the site.

Before anyone says "well drakes also have different eggs", not so fast! Pygmies have been in line for this change for a long time. Not only this but the contrast between pygmy eggs and normal eggs is much greater than anything else on the site.

I made a sprite for the purpose:

user posted image

And as an example:

user posted image

(+drake version 11:11pm) user posted image

The question mark might look misaligned to some people, but the sprite proportions don't allow it to be centered.

And thus lies my proposition.

well like the issue i have with this is what if we get a rare pygmy in the cave. with the spite being much smaller it would be harder for some users to click on them especially the users with disabilities

the eggs in the cave dont actually show the sprite ts just a place holder thing until the egg actually gets picked up so i can't really think of any benefit to the game from this

the eggs now in cave are all the same size so its easier to click on them instead of having a smaller target which would be easier to accidentally click around

well like the issue i have with this is what if we get a rare pygmy in the cave. with the spite being much smaller it would be harder for some users to click on them especially the users with disabilities

For click size, we can just make the Pygmy egg's sprite the same size as the normal eggs but have the majority of it be transparent background.

As for having a rare Pygmy, Chickens.

For click size, we can just make the Pygmy egg's sprite the same size as the normal eggs but have the majority of it be transparent background.

As for having a rare Pygmy, Chickens.

As someone with vision issues, I support. The eggs are big enough that you can see them, and bigger clickspace helps too.

Edited by Dusky_Flareon

Yes I think having the "clicking area" the same is a given. Can't speak for TJ but that should not be difficult to implement.

Keeping the click target of the egg the same is trivial.

Keeping the perceived click target of the egg the same not so much. Even if the possible click box is larger, if people see the smaller egg and spend more time trying to click it, it's going to slow them down, and there's not much to signify that you can click a larger area than the image shows, without doing something like adding a background or a border, which adds more visual complexity to something that should be simple.

While it's true that the AP already suffers from the same issue, it's not necessarily a good precedent to follow.

well like the issue i have with this is what if we get a rare pygmy in the cave.

I feel I should mention, chickens may not exactly be pygmies, but their egg size is the same as a pygmy's, and they are rare as far as I know.

I do not like or support changing the egg size of any eggs in any biomes ever. I mean there is a wide variety of reasons already listed from other threads when they were redesigning the Drake egg size so I don't see a reason to repeat all of them. Some people had raised this suggestion then and I don't think the argument is anymore valid then than it is now. I agree with the "from your perception or if an egg is hidden, you are not always going to be able to always know its correct breed, size, or features."

A great irl example of this is an easter egg hunt. When kids are running around like crazy people, they are grabbing any egg they can. In most easter egg hunts, certain eggs have some sort of special marking somewhere to indicate if it's one of a few eggs that allows you to win some of the special "bonus" prizes (like baskets full of stuff). But kids aren't running around picking up eggs, checking to see if they have the special mark or not and then tossing them out if they aren't. They are literally grabbing everything. I would expect as time goes on, more experienced egg hunters learn a bit more and hunt more carefully. But when you have dozens and dozens (sometimes 50 to over 100 or more on some special occasions) sitting in a biome ready to "grab" whatever egg they can, well ... easter egg hunt chaos...

Also, there are eggs (some people like to call them "cave blockers" back from the days there was just one cave, but since there are different biomes now, I prefer "biome blockers", nonetheless), more common eggs that some people don't want to pick up as much as they want other eggs. But those eggs are going to be picked up one way or another. There are very valid reasons for both lore/RP/world reasons, and mechanical reasons for game balance why all egg details aren't as obvious when they are in the "Abandoned Pile" or AP. If you aren't into those mechanics, don't believe them, or don't care, that is fine. But they still impact your game play and a many people care and believe keeping that slight bit of "mystery" (even though you may know) really value that, especially as it impacts things on multiple levels.

I think if there was a really good game reason to change the egg size like they did with the original pygmies and now the drakes that we see in the AP, but not the biomes, it would have been done in the biomes for now. I can think of many good reasons not to change them. I can't think of a single reason that, while seemingly providing some small benefit or aesthetic benefit to some players, doesn't have way more down sides to warrant not doing it.

Every suggestion is valid and should be posted regardless of whether people agree or disagree with it. Some that would "never" happen, people and things change over time and they do happen. I'm just stating why I don't support it, and repeating a few things from a few other thread, and giving a reason why I don't think it would be done. Obviously, I would not argue that you should not have an opinion and pursue it however you like, though. Please feel free. That's just my thoughts on the matter.

Edited by natayah

I come down on the side of the 'mystery egg' being nothing more than a place holder, not actually any representation of a the egg. It's like 'behind door A/B/C' --> there could be anything, and the door doesn't change even though what is behind it does. So therefore we don't need to change the size for different types.

(I mean you could argue that with the descriptions, why bother with the mystery image at all, but I aesthetically like it, and it makes hunting the AP and the cave very different *shrugs*)