Skyal

Watching Auto-Abandoned Eggs

Does anyone else check up on the eggs that were auto-abandoned?

I'm not sure why I keep doing it, because it really upsets me. Several of my Halloween (Pumpkin) eggs died with no views and it's looking like at least 2 of my Holly eggs are going to as well. It can't be because they're buried in the egg wall, all the dates of the ones I've picked up are current and these eggs are below 4 days now. They must be on someone's scroll.

It's so frustrating I can't do anything to save them.

Well, if their view page states that their owner is accepting aid, you are allowed to post them on a fansite to help them along.

Though, with holiday dragons, even if someone's accepting aid I'd still hold off until the eggs are really really low on time to help them, 'cause sometimes people are trying to maximize possible trading time.

One year I had someone 'help' some Halloween eggs I was trying to trade and lost three days of trading time... That wasn't fun.

Well, if their view page states that their owner is accepting aid, you are allowed to post them on a fansite to help them along.

I'd go with this.

It's actually unlikely, but it's either the owner had forgotten, or is deliberately doing it.

Although it's done out of concern, we don't know what plans the owner has for those eggs, so I'd opt not to interfere with that.

If they're hatched safely, then yay! If they die, well, it's a shame.

It's not like there's a lot we can do about it.

From my own personal experience I don't breed anything right now other than what I am working on for my lineage/breeding projects and not breed anything that will be just abandoned to the AP. If I do breed something that I don't want ( like an egg doesn't go right for the checker I am working on ) I will offer it up on the departure board. If no one takes it, to the AP it will then go.

While I do wish we could get a mix on the AP page of say 80% holiday eggs/20% non-holiday eggs so that the dead wall didn't exist. Cause it does get tiring of picking up holiday egg, dropping the holiday egg back to the AP due to various reasons, only to try to pick up the same holiday egg over and over.

But since we do have the wall we have to work with the confines of the wall.

I've been staring at one of my Snow Angel's 3G eggs for some time now. The egg is down to 2 days 20 hours and has nothing of everything. The user isn't allowing assistance, but it's killing me to see the egg go to waste. I don't see any reason or appeal for picking up a holiday dragon and letting it die. Someone else could've picked it up, could've used it. It's... infuriating.

I've had my scroll since 2011 but this is only the second Christmas that I've been active. I don't have a lot of holiday dragons and I cherish every egg I pick up. I don't pick up eggs I don't plan on using, plain and simple. I'd love to hear the reasoning behind this.

I've been staring at one of my Snow Angel's 3G eggs for some time now. The egg is down to 2 days 20 hours and has nothing of everything. The user isn't allowing assistance, but it's killing me to see the egg go to waste. I don't see any reason or appeal for picking up a holiday dragon and letting it die. Someone else could've picked it up, could've used it. It's... infuriating.

I've had my scroll since 2011 but this is only the second Christmas that I've been active. I don't have a lot of holiday dragons and I cherish every egg I pick up. I don't pick up eggs I don't plan on using, plain and simple. I'd love to hear the reasoning behind this.

Weird as this may sound - RL happens.

While a lot of these might be due to new players who have no idea what to do with an egg they picked up and then simply forgetting about them because DC isn't the game for them or something. I bet quite a few are on scrolls of people who DO care for them but after catching them (and not putting them into fansites immediately because that's standard safety procedure) found themselves suddenly without internet access - either because of technical issues (provider problems) or RL not allowing the time to log into their scrolls, caring for their virtual babies. If you suddenly find yourself in the hospital, your dad dies or you need to drive your baby to the doctors with high unexplained fever... any number of reasons (and not all as crass as my given examples) virtual pixel dragons MIGHT slip your mind.

Then there are Neglected experiments (some people VALUE pretty lineaged NDs), or someone keeping the stats low to be able to trade... which are two in-game reasons I can think of.

I'm sure there are more valid reasons.

Yes it sucks if your babies die but there are various valid reasons why this might happen.

Speaking as someone whose habits probably upset previous owners of eggs I catch...

I won't put mine in hatcheries or fansites until they're hatchable, because I've had too many die of soft shell and especially around the holidays I won't risk my eggs dying on me. I wait until they get under 4 days before I put them on any fansite.

Whenever I breed a bunch of my eggs to the AP I watch them intently to see who grabs them, and such. I hate it when I see some eggs die, especially when it's a pretty lineage/pretty egg and I hope to make someone's day when they grab it...

I've been playing for 7 years and I've come to learn that I need to not care about eggs that I've bred to the AP. Bad things will happen to them, end of story. So when I do go back and look at bred babies that are named, and the lineage or my surname continued, it makes me happy instead of sad. Sadly even bad things happen to gifted eggs. I bred and gifted perfect 5th gen checker marrow/flamingo egg a few months ago and it was promptly taken and bitten. That made me mad. But hey, what can you do?

I had considered Neglected experiments. I didn't think about concerns about soft shell. That obviously isn't what happened to the pumpkins at Halloween, but it's still possible for the hollies.

Are there even sites where you can just enter the egg's code? I didn't notice if they were accepting aid, just noticed that the ones with no views all have hidden scroll names.

I sometimes breed eggs that straightly go to the AP on purpose. Offspring of nice lineages, Tinsels, pb BSA eggs etc.

I check on some of them every now or then. I've once seen one on a scroll of user who appeared to have taken his four first eggs (one of them a bred egg of mine) and then left DC again. He was accepting aid and I stucked his almost dead eggs in the ER - there's now a scroll with four adult dragons and nothing else on it xd.png

What makes me extremely sad is that almost none of the Holiday eggs I bred and sent to the AP has been bred in later holiday seasons. I produce beautiful 3rd and 2nd gen offspring of my Holidays every year and none of the new owners care to breed them again. That really bugs me, especially when I look at all the messy, inbred higher gen eggs that clock the AP.

So, if you catch a holiday egg that I bred, please, please breed them next year. sad.gif

What makes me extremely sad is that almost none of the Holiday eggs I bred and sent to the AP has been bred in later holiday seasons. I produce beautiful 3rd and 2nd gen offspring of my Holidays every year and none of the new owners care to breed them again. That really bugs me, especially when I look at all the messy, inbred higher gen eggs that clock the AP.

This. I breed nice checkers to the AP and while many get picked up, very few people continue them, which is sad. Or they are not lineage people and continue them by picking a mate at random. Not criticizing those people, but for me half the fun is finding pretty lineages in the AP and finding or building a perfect mate to match. I hear you on the hordes of messy eggs too. I feel I'm obligated to breed my 2nd-3rd gen checkers in order to balance those out, even if no one has requested one tongue.gif

I always check up on my auto-abandoned eggs, but I wait till a week or so after the holiday is over. By then it's too late to do anything about anything with too-low views and I can just enjoy the ones that made it, and especially the ones that have been named. It's more fun and less anguished that way.

Is there a hatchery that adds dragons by code? I abandoned my coppers first egg and I don't want it to die in the holiday backlog. Also if I do hatch it will it appear in the abandoned pile or grow up in the wild?

Is there a hatchery that adds dragons by code? I abandoned my coppers first egg and I don't want it to die in the holiday backlog. Also if I do hatch it will it appear in the abandoned pile or grow up in the wild?

If it hatches before someone grabs it, I think it will stay in the AP as a hatchling. If the hatchling hits 4 days in there and has enough views it will grow up and go to the wilderness. For hatcheries that let you add by code, you can check in the fan sites section of the forum. I know there are a couple but I forget which ones.

I don't breed to the AP often but when I do its nice things like Tinsels or metals to celebrate something. I prefer to use Departures since it has a slightly higher chance of eggs being appreciated, imo.

But anyways, the only eggs I ever watch are Yellowstone's auto-APed Holiday eggs. Watching any of the others would just make me nuts. So far all of her extra eggs have survived just fine. A couple have even gone on to breed super beautiful lineages I'd love to own an egg from someday.

Meh, I occasionally go and check. Mostly to see if anyone actually bothered to name them. I think it bugs me a bit more to see them frozen, especially as I take care to breed decent 2nd gens. There are plenty of horrible, messy lines out there, in fact with some older breeds you have to search pretty hard to get a decent line, much less a second gen that others would appreciate more. In a way I would rather see them dead than frozen.

Edited by Nectaris

I don't usually check until after enough time has passed for them to have grown up. that way I don't have to see if the eggs or hatchies are being neglected since there's really nothing I can do if they are.

I do look at the holidays, more out of curiosity than anything else. I can understand people getting upset about them dying, but there is nothing I can do. I am just happy to see ones that are loved and used in future lineages.

I check out my babies often, and it's rather often they die, which is sad. If I really care (such as my holly or caveborn holidays), I'll ER eggs that are accepting aid. If they aren't, I gripe and mope as my pretty eggs die. sad.gif

Speaking as someone whose habits probably upset previous owners of eggs I catch...

I won't put mine in hatcheries or fansites until they're hatchable, because I've had too many die of soft shell and especially around the holidays I won't risk my eggs dying on me. I wait until they get under 4 days before I put them on any fansite.

I have to add to my earlier post, part of what happens with me is that I will egg lock myself and then something comes up like my dad fell ill in October and Finals Week the first week in December and I will inevitably lose an egg or three in the process. It's not on purpose, I just am not always aware of what craziness is going to keep me from DC for a week+ at a time.

I specifically breed eggs to give away (either directly through the Community Board, or indirectly by abandoning them to the AP for non-forumites) and imo most of them are pretty good: 2G and pretty-lineaged BSA's, non-messy Prizes, 2Gs of rare eggs, and Metals. But I believe that once they're off my scroll, they're no longer any of my business. So I usually don't watch them.

When I *do* watch them, it's out of boredom and idle curiosity (and running out of websites to surf xd.png). So if someone kills one of my dragons' bred eggs, I don't mind - it's their egg now.

A lot of times if I am scroll locked I'll breed some of my rares and let the eggs be auto-abandoned just so someone could have the chance to get a rare. I like to follow them and see if they get to grow up and what their names are and if they ever get bred

I watch to see if they are given neat names, especially the lineages I breed that follow a theme, etc. However, because I get sad if they do end up dead, I try not to check too often, so if there is a dead one, it might have already disappeared from the progeny page smile.gif