Vorgin

Dances with Men (A Werewolf tale)

Dak looked at her with his beady eyes and chirped, "You cast yourself away from men because of love. Why then push away those who want to help you? Luke and I simply are repaying your kindness. He has no interest in wedding you, he is simply trying to be a friend. Not every man is after a wife and mate. Some like Luke just want others they meet to be happy, and then go their own way."

((For a bird, Dak got the wisdom of a philosopher.))

"How can I be happy in a half life! A mute woman at night a talking wolf by day?! I cast myself away because of love. It was pity not kindness. If you want to make me happy then leave. I am used to this now. I need no friends, no caretakers. He has done enough for me. I need no more of him around." she sneezed as she scooted back into her blankets, covering her head once more.

Dak made a sad chirp and moved closer, "You may not need company or help... but I feel that you may want it. I really don't want to leave a nice person like you while you are suffering and in need of kindness and a sense of peace. It would be wrong not to reach out and help."

Moon didn't answer. She sneezed several times shivering but didn't talk to the bird again. Maybe if she ignored him, he'd go away. Eventually she fell asleep again.

Dak did fly away, back to Luke who held out his hand for a perch, "There you are Dak, I was worried." Dak cawed and looked at the direction of Moon's house. "Ah, I see, that's where you were." Dak cawed again and flew back to the house, Luke following behind.

Moon woke in a coughing fit.... well, if wolves could cough. She sneezed and whimpers. She should have stayed in the cave, but she didn't want him to see her change. She curled in a ball under the furs, her tail on her nose.

Luke came up to the building and hear a sneeze from outside. "Damn, she must have been outside when that rain hit... hmm..." The outside of the house didn't seem to look as nice as the inside... something to consider. He decided to go back inside and prepare something for his "host" to help her get better. An herb soup with deer meat mixed in was quick to prepare, and the smell was amazing as he carried it up to her room.

A black nose with a cream colored mussel peeked out of the fur, a tongue following as if to taste the aroma. She sneezed again and peeked out more, her ears flat against her skull. "You tempt me with such things..." she said half heartedly, her eyes fixed on the bowl. It of course had a pair, as did everything in the home. She had more, but only kept a one set as a spare once she returned from the city broken and bitter.

Luke smiled, "It's not a temptation, it's a remedy. Now enjoy. If you need me, I'll be downstairs." He set the bowl in a reachable location and made his way for the door.

Moon waited for him to leave before lapping up the soup. Soon clattering sounded as she pushed the empty bowl around trying to get the last drops. She sat back and licked her chops. She sneezed. Then after a few moments, she didn't sneeze at all and her shivers stopped. Hmm.... maybe he can be of use. As long as he keeps himself out of her way...

She carefully took the bowl back down and set it at her feet. "I'll let you stay in the cave, if it gets to cold, you stay on the couch. I can't see at night well, and a pair of hands during the day would be good. Am I clear?" She huffed looking at him with her odd colored eyes.

Luke nodded, "Understood. It's your house and your rules. Besides, I don't plan to stay forever. Just long enough to improve you life, if even a little. Besides, Dak seems to like you, it's good for him to make more friends than just me."

"Perhaps it because I can hear him talk and not just crowing." she said tilting her head. She turned and trotted down a hall. "glad we have an understanding. Now.." she returned with a book in her mouth and dropped it in his lap. "Turn to page 34, second paragraph down and read aloud. It's a pain to turn pages with paws" the book she placed on his lap was the third installment of the Three musketeers, called The man in the Iron mask she had more books, mostly by E.A. Poe and Charles Dickins.

Luke looked at her with a confused glance, "You sure you want me reading you stories? You might want me to stay longer than you intend."

"The part is good anyway, just read. I haven't been able to see with the moon in a waining crescent and wouldn't be able to until it's at least a first quarter." She lay by the fire, facing him closing her eyes. "Stop only when you have too. You can stop when you read four chapters to me."

Luke just shrugged and did s he was asked, reading 4 chapters. As he read on, he tried to read more dynamically, hopefully to make it more interesting to listen to. When he hit the end of the chapter, he looked at her. "...That was four."

"Down the hallway, open door on your left. Set it on the desk. Thank you, it was rather.... interesting. " she said as she got up and took the bowl into the kitchen and set it on the table trotting outside to check her traps.

Luke did put the book away and decided to clean the dish, set it away, and then began to clean the house. While it was nicely set up, there where places that were very dirty and dusty, mostly places Moon could not reach and see as a wolf, and then not be able to see as a human in the dark.

Moon came back with rabbit bones and tilted her head at the noise inside. When she went in, everything was clan and polished, rugs beaten clean, the mantle dusted and windows no longer looked so dirty. Natural light filtered through clean windows and everything gleamed. "You sure keep yourself occupied." she sat and watched him, her head tilted to the side.

Luke smiles, "When I lived at home, I spent most of my time with my mom, cleanign and house caring. Then when dad got home, we went hunting and camping."

"I never really knew my mother, she died when I was quite young." she said softly then shook her head and shoulders. "Enough sentimentals. It is good to see this place like the way when I finished building and moving everything inside. Good work." Her praise was said reluctantly as she looked around the home.

Luke nodded, "I'm glad, well unless you need me for anything else, I will return to the cave. Is Dak free to come and go? Or do you want privacy?"

Luke nodded and left for the cave again. "She is an oddity..." Dak pecked his head. "Ow! I meant it in a good way!" He made it to the cave and attended to the low burning fire.

Moon once again wondered until nightfall heading back to her home and was content with sitting on her porch looking out at the woods. A shall over her shoulders and a blanket on her legs.

Luke didn't play on his flute that night, instead was star gazing just outside the cave. Dak was roosted by the fire, sleeping.