Vorgin

Dances with Men (A Werewolf tale)

She growls, clearly not expecting him to still be there. "You are supposed to leave. Why are you here?" she moved to the fox and huffed trying to figure out how to store it so she can skin it at nightfall, and prep it for curing in the sun the next day. "You should leave immediately."

Luke smiled, "You treated us a night, so now we owe you Moon. So I'm still here to repay you." He jumped down and moved around the house, he came back with a dead buck. "If you would like, I can do all the skinning and meat cutting for you if you would like. If it takes longer than tonight, I'll sleep outside in the woods."

He knew how to convince a wolf. The buck was young, and would be tender. Him doing the skinning would save her time tonight to do some reading by moonlight, or walking the woods as she loved to do. She tilted her head in thought one way, then the other. "Fine. I prefer the shoulder and the flank. Waist nothing. I like to chew the bones later and the insides I also eat. It would help to do the fox too..." She said as she went back inside.

"Consider it done. Mind if Dak stays with you? He isn't one for the smell of fresh blood and guts." He took the fox fromMoon and got to work, Dak floating over to Moon and then hopping next to her as she went. After hanging the pelts to dry, he made the meat cuts, suing salts he found to preserve the meat that stayed fresh the longest. The rare and flavorful meats he prepared for a late night dinner.

She lay on the lounger stretched out. "I'm not a fan of men. But your keeper may help me out quite a bit." she said to the bird and fell asleep on the couch in the warmth of the fire. She woke an hour later and went out to check on where he was on the skinning. She yawned. "If you are to stay another night I need to warn you. No candlelight or fire lite can touch the women's skin. I can't tell why on this either, so don't ask me. I'm only telling you because she likes to wonder." she said sleepily her head down, clearly tired.

Edited by AroaraAngelwolf

Luke blinked, "Why do you call her someone else? I know you are the same person." He sighed, his hands were currently covered in blood from butchering the meat. "Is there a place I could wash up?"

She sighed and started walking to the side of the home where a little stream was a few feet away. "Because that woman is a shell of myself. a memory. a wolf shape is my reality." she said simply sitting at the edge of the stream. " You can wash up here, further up aways is a pool, a natural hot water spring. You may have a bath there if you like. I'll see if i can find any towels if you wish. A cave near the spring would provide shelter for tonight."

Luke nodded, "I'll be fine without your towels, when I'm done, I could finish up with my work here... if you would allow me to return. I feel terribly about my behavior towards you..."

"You feel bad because I am the woman. I don't need your pity. I would sooner kill you then let you sleep in my home once more. Men is the reason I am like this. Do what you will. It doesn't mean I'd be happy about it." she growls leaving him there. Her nature seemed hot and cold. Some subjects where touchie, others not so much. Her emotional whiplash was draining her. She had to find a way to be rid of this do gooder to finally be at peace again. Edited by AroaraAngelwolf

Luke frowned but the shrugged, "As you say Moon..." He hung up the rest of the buck and set the meats and furs seperate. Once he was done, he took his pack and headed up stream to the place that was mentioned. Dak followed him, but looked back at Moon as they left.

Moon walked to a ridge where the sun would set between two peaks, reflecting off the clear lake that was nestled there. Here she sat on the rock and sang. Howling was her pass time for before this shape she was a singer. Her ears flattened as she remembers the day her heart was torn from her and stomped into the dust. After that day, she picked up what was left and locked it in a iron box.

Of course, it was emotionally, not physically, but the walls she had around her heart got her in this mess. From that day, she had no faith in men. So now she sang, filled with loneliness and heartache, regret, sorrow, and agony. She continued to howl until the sun almost was set and she head back to her home slipping on the shift as the sun slipped under the horizon.

By that time, Luke had made it to the cave. He was well washed, and in dry clothes, leaving his washed ones to dry on a nearby rock. He pulled out a small flute and began to play a tune that echoed in the cave, adding to the song. Dak flew from the cave and followed the howling to Moon, in which he replied with a loud caw.

Moon went back out as a woman, she held out her hand for the bird and petted it as she walked silently through the woods. She can be seen as a woman as the last bit of the gold glow of sunset bled out of the sky. She made her way to the cave tilted her head when she herd his song. Near the entrance she set some seeds for dak on the ground enticing him to stay. Giving Luke a curt nod, she wandered off once more, this time to the pool. She let her bare feet dangle in the warm water while she sat on a rock.

Luke nods to her and keeps playing. Once Dak eats the seeds, he ruffles his feathers and roosts in a tree by the entrance. Luke plays awhile longer before laying out his sheet and going to sleep.

Rain clouds came late that night. Moon looked up as the first drops fell then came down in sheets. The closest thing was the cave, but she wasn't going in there. She instead ran home, tripping on the muddy ground and got to the house drenched and shivering. She washed off her feet, lay out the shift to dry and dried herself off the best she could. She had other cloths, but the simple shifts where the easiest to slip in and out of. She slipped in a dark grey one this time and curled under the furs. After an hour of shivers, she sneezed and eventually fell asleep.

The next morning, Luke woke up and looked around, "Dak? Dak?" He sighed, knowing where the bird went.

Moon will wake up to Dak in her window. Once he sees her awake, he caws.

Moon poked her nose from the blankets and and locked out at the bird with a sneeze and a shake of her head. "I'm sorry little raven. I don't feel well today... you're a clever bird, you can find away inside, or is the bird feeder low? There would be nice grubs by the stream then." she said softly, snarling a yawn.

The raven hopped from the window onto her bed and just looked at her. He seemed well fed, and simple cawed at her in what she could interpret as a friendly manner.

Moon poked her head out of the covers and nosed his chest lightly. "Such a pretty bird you are. Such a sweet bird checking on me. Did you hear the storm last night? " She asked softly, not moving much.

((...so... should she be able to understand Dak... or should I just keep cawing.))

Dak simply caws, "Indeed I did. I was concerned you got caught in the storm."

Moon sighed heavily. "And that I did. I will get over the chills soon though. While you are here, can a clever raven tell me a story? I will tell you one afterwards. I get quite lonely out here alone." she said, looking at dak, her head to the side.

Dak nods, "I could, but if you get lonely, why push Luke away? He isn't like other people I met. He only wants to help while he is around here." The Raven ruffled his feather and sat on the bed.

"Fine, I'll tell my story first" She said with a heavy sigh, grumbling a little.

"Seven years ago, in a little town a days ride from here, a girl of fourteen was sought after by many men, some who were rich and wealthy. The girl's father was a tailor, her mother had passed when she was quite young.

Despite the many offers, she had her heart set on the trappers son, who was two years older, and who had been her childhood friend for as long as she could remember. He had promised himself to her that when she became of the proper age, they will wed and live in a home outside of town, built in their favorite clearing in the woods. It would be near the lake and the hot spring and the cave they'd explore and play in when they were little.

Later that year, he left for the city, promising to come back for her with enough money for the house and a ring. When he left, the girl sang, sewed, learned to skin properly, to cure it, and prepare the meat. She worked as a wood cutter, and stable girl to scrape enough money together to build a home. She did so in the spot where her love wanted too. Another year passed, no sign of him.

She worked harder now, learning how to make fur coats and cloths, working every day till she was tired, buying furniture for the home preparing to surprise her betrothed when he returned. The courtiers eventually gave up but still one wealthy and very kind young gentleman helped her quite taken by this hard working woman.

Another year, still nothing. The house was finally finished. She then saved every coin for a bride's pay and materials for a dress. A third year, still no sign. The now seventeen year old woman was at the proper age to marry, and concerned about her betrothed, she packed her bags and headed to the city.

Once there, it didn't take her long to find his shop. He was alive and well... very well, for he now had a wife and a child, a second on the way. When asked about his promise to her..... He laughed and said "it was only a child's dream" and he only wanted her because she was the most beautiful girl in town. He said she was foolish to believe him." She snarled here, whimpering like something hurt her still.

"Three years she worked mercilessly for him, gave up numerous marriage proposals from kind men for him and he said it was a child's dream and was called foolish to believe his sweet words. She returned bitter, angry and her heart ripped in two the worst way possible. She then believed all men were the same. Until a few months passed, she lashed out at a kind gentleman who had helped her the passed three years. This man.... wasn't really a man and bound the girl to a cycle that only one who can see the beauty, but love the beast, can break it. It is then the women would supposedly realise not all men are the same, not all want a beautiful woman to be nothing more then a prized horse at their side.... Four years this woman has been bound to this cycle, with no change of heart, and it wouldn't be changed so easily."

((Whew, text wall, sorry!))