DaedricD

Pictures too small

Hello all,

First off, I'm going to put it out there that I'm new to this forum thing and that I hope I'm placing this in the right place (since I see nothing else pertaining to it and it is classified as a request/idea).

Anyway,

I was thinking about how awesome all of these dragons are, but it's so hard to actually see them due to how small they are! It would be great if there was an option to enlarge the image, or something to that extent, so you could get a good look at your dragon/egg.

Does anyone else agree/have ideas?

Get an add-on for your browser to allow image zoom.

If you just want a temporary look at them to see detail, and are on a PC, you can enlarge the page by holding down the CTRL button and scrolling up with your mouse wheel. Then scroll back down to return to default. (I have no idea how to do that on a mobile device.)

If you just want a temporary look at them to see detail, and are on a PC, you can enlarge the page by holding down the CTRL button and scrolling up with your mouse wheel. Then scroll back down to return to default. (I have no idea how to do that on a mobile device.)

Or hold CTRL while also clicking + to zoom in (or - to zoom out again). With the combination CTRL and 0 (the number, not the letter), you'll go back to a zoom of 100%. Well, at least on Windows. xd.png

CMD plus scroll wheel works for macs too.

I don't think TJ is opposed to having larger pictures available, maybe as part of the encyclopedia, but they don't currently exist. That's a lot of digital paintings to get finished.

As these are the full sizes, enlarging them won't really help see details as there are no more details;)

But that may be just me, that I see even less details when enlarging such imagesxD

But I'd love if we could have regular, nonpixel sprites too. Like pixels on the Scroll and lineage view, but normal images on the dragon page and encyclopeadia.

Thugh that would create a new issue: the images would be much less consistent in styles than pixel sprites are...

Everyone has been so helpful with all the responses! I have to agree with Fiona BlueFire and VixenDra; it would take a lot of work to make the images larger, but zooming in doesn't really help any either. Maybe there's some in between?

The dragon designs are just completely awesome and such small pictures don't do them justice!

They're sprites, they're supposed to be small. =P Part of the challenge of working as a sprite artist for DC is navigating the challenges presented by the allowed size, and if there were larger sprites it would significantly affect the site's overall style conventions.

Some sprite artists (like me) don't work entirely at sprite size, however. I almost always sketch my dragons out full size before converting them to a sprite, and I would not be opposed to publishing my scratchwork online if people expressed interest - independent of whether or not anything becomes available in-universe to Better Know A Dragon™

I will point out that not every artist can work with digital images. I always sketch mine out with pencil and paper, then scan it to work with pixels. Pixels work is the limit of what I can do digitally. The best case scenario is me offering a sketch and letting someone else color it.

Edited by Nectaris

Some artists have provided sketches/other art that is larger than the sprites of their dragons. The DC wiki has been good at catching these and linking to them.

But this is pretty much my opinion:

but they don't currently exist. That's a lot of digital paintings to get finished.

I don't mind larger pictures (for artists who want to provide them) but I don't want them to replace the sprites we have now. That's way to much work to expect of artists submitting dragons to us to provide several different sprite sizes so users can have good resolution size changes. >_<

You might also be interested in this thread: https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=167153

This kind of reminds me of the side art feature Magistream has-basically you still have the sprites and everything(and yes, zooming in causes anti-aliasing that doesn't really help with the whole thing, and there are no extra details to view anyway XP), but on the creature's page you have finished art of that creature to basically show off its full, visual potential. Thing is, like on Magistream, not every creature would have the art-I think only the older creatures there have the side art(unless it's just the artist who made those creatures deciding to do this), so definitely not every dragon would have a pretty portrait to showcase. There's also the whole permissions issue that can get in the way; some artists don't have the digital skill to produce full-sized masterpieces, that's why they're sprite artists because that's the field they excel in, but then that means that someone else will have to do the side art and some in-cave artists aren't comfortable with that idea(I'm presuming this based off of the lack of permission given for fanart).

Other than that though, I'd say dragon side art is not a bad idea! Not required or standardized by any means, just if an artist ever decides to make an awesome picture of a dragon it could be displayed on the dragon's page just as a fun little feature.

EDIT: Lol, just looked at the link Sock provided and it's basically what I just threw up here. Don't mind me. tongue.gif

Edited by skwerl56767