Akiresa

an extra art piece near the grown up sprite

I got this idea from magistream and i think it would be great addition to the dc

http://magistream.com/creature/7952061 this is how it looks like an example on magistream and perhaps that would be great addiction to it and i wouldnt mind agreeing doing the art pieces for the dragons

If it is coined somewhere else I doubt D.C could 'copy' it due to copywrite laws concerning the layout of the site. :/ It's a nice idea but I don't think it'd fly.

true But its always can be found a way to make it similar but not same it was an idea and layout can always be made the way it would not be same to theirs

Viperswan is right. Also, there's nowhere really to put any extra concept art. As it is now, TJ is working on redoing some of the visual aspects of the side so that they appear more updated. The scroll is meant to have "small depictions" of the dragons that you own.

Now, I wouldn't mind if the encyclopedia had a bigger version of the sprite! That'd be cool! smile.gif Just leaving the normal sprites (grown or otherwise) on the regular scroll page and have nothing but the 'slightly bigger' more detailed versions!

Edited by ViperSwan

Viperswan is right. Also, there's nowhere really to put any extra concept art. As it is now, TJ is working on redoing some of the visual aspects of the side so that they appear more updated. The scroll is meant to have "small depictions" of the dragons that you own.

Well it was an idea if it would go then i would like to add in some of it ^^ perhaps its just cause i love this game and finding excuse to try get my art more out^^

I wouldn't mind do like cool drawings of bigger version for there tongue.gif that was dropped an idea to drop in somewhere if liked

Well it was an idea if it would go then i would like to add in some of it ^^ perhaps its just cause i love this game and finding excuse to try get my art more out^^

If you want to draw fan art for the site, there's the multimedia section of the forum or you can always offer to do concept art for dragon suggestions.

I would like to see bigger pictures of dragons too, but the emphasis is on the sprite work.

I think it would be nice if any extra art for the species, if made by or with the direct guidance of the original artist(s) of the sprites, were to be displayed on the encyclopedia pages.

But I don't support more art on the dragon's page itself. Let's leave it for just the sprites so they can shine in all their beauty smile.gif

I think it would be nice if any extra art for the species, if made by or with the direct guidance of the original artist(s) of the sprites, were to be displayed on the encyclopedia pages.

But I don't support more art on the dragon's page itself. Let's leave it for just the sprites so they can shine in all their beauty smile.gif

Yeah also it then wouldn't be exactly 'copy' of the magistream if done in encyclopedia and i think that way people could admire dragons even more as they could see on some of them more details (or admire nebulas even more hahahaha)

There are amazing fanarts of dragons from dragcave that I've seen and I thinking having something like that in the encyclopedia would be amazing.

In all honesty to me this sounds like 'I want to see my art used on DragonCave!' more than anything else. I understand your eagerness, but proposing a huge change to how the site works isn't the best way to go about it. May I humbly recommend learning to sprite and doing a Dragon Request? That's a way more promising method of seeing your art go up in the cave than something like this.

As for the idea itself... I confess I've always seen it as redundant. What's the point of having both a sprite and a larger piece of art? Why not just have the larger piece if you're willing to invest that much in it?

In all honesty to me this sounds like 'I want to see my art used on DragonCave!' more than anything else. I understand your eagerness, but proposing a huge change to how the site works isn't the best way to go about it. May I humbly recommend learning to sprite and doing a Dragon Request? That's a way more promising method of seeing your art go up in the cave than something like this.

As for the idea itself... I confess I've always seen it as redundant. What's the point of having both a sprite and a larger piece of art? Why not just have the larger piece if you're willing to invest that much in it?

This, rather. Another image to cause lag, too. See under the beautiful but "invasive" new background - many of us have had to switch to other skins. No interest at all here. I'm here to play, not to look at art exhibits.

As much as I'd love to see this - at least on the dragon's view page and nowhere else - I don't think it is feasible. We have so many sprites already. Getting people to add larger pics or sprites will be a pain, and for several reason: The work involved in getting art that is up to cave standards, and the say of the artists. All it would take is one single artist to say "No, not gonna happen with my dragons!", and the gig is off.

As much as I'd love to see this - at least on the dragon's view page and nowhere else - I don't think it is feasible. We have so many sprites already. Getting people to add larger pics or sprites will be a pain, and for several reason: The work involved in getting art that is up to cave standards, and the say of the artists. All it would take is one single artist to say "No, not gonna happen with my dragons!", and the gig is off.

Also - IF there were such "added art" in cave it would HAVE to be done by (preferably) or at least under the direct control of the spriters - and I'd rather they made us more DRAGONS !

This would not be a good place to "get your art out there", Akiresa.

I don't much care for the idea of doing anything on DC "like that other adoptables site there" did it.

I wouldn't be opposed to seeing a larger, detailed painting of the dragon on the encyclopedia page but I'd expect the artists who sprited the dragons would want to do the paintings. In cases where the artist scratch sprited or doesn't do digital painting I expect they'd ask one of the artists that's in-cave to do any painting because they know them and know their work.

In the case of coppers and shadow walkers, while I did much of the concept and a good amount of the sprite work, Nakase did all the concept sketches. She would be fully capable of doing any paintings wanted.

I also would be just as content if nothing like this ever was adopted.

Akiresa, if you want your art used on DC, sketch dragons for DR requests. Sketch artists whose sketches are used for dragons that are accepted for use do get art credits on the dragons. Learn to sprite. In you don't find a concept in DR that is looking for sketches come up with your own.

Actually, some of the artists have shared larger sketches with us, and I was really hoping those would have ended up in the encyclopedia. For instance...

user posted image

I think it would make the encyclopedia more interesting, but that's just me.

Edited by Sir Barton

Actually, some of the artists have shared larger sketches with us, and I was really hoping those would have ended up in the encyclopedia. For instance...

user posted image

I think it would make the encyclopedia more interesting, but that's just me.

Oh sure - by the original artists - that would be OK in the encyclopaedia - but NOT on the dragon's page.

And no artist should HAVE to do them, so that would make it a bit - uneven and lumpy ? xd.png

I would not mind this idea if the images were:

1. displayed only on the appropriate encyclopedia page

2. done/approved by the individual breed's spriter(s)

In the case of the encyclopedia, it wouldn't matter if some dragons got larger sketches while others didn't. We already see some dragons with longer/more details than others and that is totally fine.

We did get some gorgeous images of the Christmas dragons during this last Christmas event (the images can be seen towards the bottom of this page), and it'd be awesome to see images like that somewhere within the game itself rather than relying on a third page to store them. The encyclopedia is a perfect place for additional artwork that wouldn't require a full page redesign.

I actually like the idea of more artwork for the encyclopedia.

That being SAID... I could also see how this could be a LOT of work... for both TJ and the artists. ALSO, as someone else said, IF any of the artists didn't support the idea then Some would have extra art and others wouldn't have it. ACTUALLY. Maybe if it were in the encyclopedia it wouldn't MATTER so much? It was also pointed out thatt, THAT way, it wouldn't seem like an exact knockoff of what Magistream has done (AND I don't know how much of an issue that would be copyright wise).... which looking a their page sort of DOES draw attention AWAY from the sprite, as was ALSO mentioned... a shame since I am sure that some of them are VERY pretty... just as some here on DC are especially pretty.

I'd love to see more pretty artwork.... but IF it is simply to much trouble then, I can see why TJ would nix this idea.

Edited by Silverswift

Someone else suggested that, that way it wouldn't seem like an exact knockoff of what Magistream has done (and I don't know how much of an issue that would be copyright wise)

Magistream can't copyright the idea of putting artwork on a page (?)

having art on the dragons view-pages, I do not like. It would be very likely to take up a lot of space and thus having to redesign the entire viewpage. No to that from me.

The idea of having a few pieces of art in the encyclopedia I do like. The information in the encyclopedia unlocks via observations or raising dragons and for me looks from an RP-perspective to be similar to a notebook or scrapbook with notes and sketches fluttering all around each other. I wouldn't getting a small artpiece or two for some of the dragons as you gain observations, but it would still be a lot of work to implement it tongue.gif

I'd like to have additional official images of the dragon in the encyclopedia only, with approval of the conceptor and artist(s). I don't think inconsistency (some species have images and some don't) would be a problem, since the breed information found in the encyclopedia is already unsvenly distributed.