Obscure_Trash

Tiny Little Questions

11 minutes ago, LegendOfKorraFan said:

When do the Prize Dragon raffles take place, and how do you know they're happening?

Raffles are drawn at the end of each month. The date and requirements to enter can be found on the raffle page: https://dragcave.net/raffle

You can find the link on the Account page

626007814_ScreenShot2022-11-13at8_11_33PM.thumb.png.6bac23671706ce2d9a9fa5065343e877.png

eta: ope, :ph34r:'d 

Edited by Stromboli

7 minutes ago, TJ09 said:

They happen every month on the last day of the month. The Raffles page will tell you the specific date of the next drawing, and what you need to do to enter.

You'll also receive an on-site notification when you complete a given month's entry requirements.

Thank you, @TJ09 and @Stromboli

i'm sure this is doable, but i just want to confirm: 

Xmas breeding starts at midnight on December 19th (as in 1 minute after 11:59 p.m. at night on December 18th), and goes until 11:59 p.m. on December 25th. 

if i breed one of my Pyranosts on the 19th for a Pryanost egg, and use incubate on the egg, the Pryanost will grow up on the 24th.

so then i should then be able to breed the newly grown-up Pryanost.... correct?

Unless it’s changed, I believe event breeds are not able to produce eggs in the same season they are bred and raised. They had an artificial breeding cooldown that kept them from breeding right away. 

Edited by Stromboli

1 hour ago, trystan said:

i'm sure this is doable, but i just want to confirm: 

Xmas breeding starts at midnight on December 19th (as in 1 minute after 11:59 p.m. at night on December 18th), and goes until 11:59 p.m. on December 25th. 

if i breed one of my Pyranosts on the 19th for a Pryanost egg, and use incubate on the egg, the Pryanost will grow up on the 24th.

1 hour ago, Stromboli said:

Unless it’s changed, I believe event breeds are not able to produce eggs in the same season they are bred and raised. They had an artificial breeding cooldown that kept them from breeding right away. 

Stromboli is correct. Only one breeding per event dragon in the seasonal breeding window, AFAIK, and no newbie can breed till after the window ends..

2 hours ago, Stromboli said:

Unless it’s changed, I believe event breeds are not able to produce eggs in the same season they are bred and raised.

1 hour ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Stromboli is correct. Only one breeding per event dragon in the seasonal breeding window, AFAIK, and no newbie can breed till after the window ends..

ah dang it!

thanks though!

(you know i'll probably check it anyway, just to confirm you two are correct. XD)

5 hours ago, trystan said:

Sorry, but no. :( It will have a message that says it bred recently and cannot breed again for x number of days. Newly grown holiday dragons will not be able to breed true until the next season.

Now for my question -- are Tetras considered one of the breeds that are "hard to hatch"?

I have these two dragons that were bred at very nearly the same time. When I did this screenshot the Tetra was under 4 days but had not hatched in spite of having nearly 1000 more views than the Guardian.

image.png.40b58aa0e2d2b254b970eaa79076f94b.png

It has since hatched, but the disparity just seemed odd to me and I wondered if it has a tougher shell.

Thanks, @Shadowdrake. I thought they must be. It gained another 200 views before it popped.

Edited by purplehaze

6 minutes ago, purplehaze said:

are Tetras considered one of the breeds that are "hard to hatch"?

Yep, they're one of the midway stubborn breeds.

29 minutes ago, purplehaze said:

Sorry, but no. :( It will have a message that says it bred recently and cannot breed again for x number of days. Newly grown holiday dragons will not be able to breed true until the next season.

booo :( 

wishful thinking on my part. *sigh*

2 hours ago, trystan said:

wishful thinking on my part. *sigh*

Understood. It would be nice, but isn't possible.

1 minute ago, purplehaze said:

Understood. It would be nice, but isn't possible.

*raspberries* yeah.

well, to be fair, the Bene Gesserit breeding program took many many years in Dune, so i think i can wait another year. XD 

4 hours ago, purplehaze said:

Now for my question -- are Tetras considered one of the breeds that are "hard to hatch"?

I have these two dragons that were bred at very nearly the same time. When I did this screenshot the Tetra was under 4 days but had not hatched in spite of having nearly 1000 more views than the Guardian.

image.png.40b58aa0e2d2b254b970eaa79076f94b.png

It has since hatched, but the disparity just seemed odd to me and I wondered if it has a tougher shell.

Thanks, @Shadowdrake. I thought they must be. It gained another 200 views before it popped.

Not only are they stubborn to hatch, they're stubborn to gender as well in my experience.  Also not uncommon for mine to end up sick, either--though they're also resilient and I haven't had one die yet even with very high stats for a fresh hatched one.

If Pitfires avoid a kill, will they forever avoid it?

EDIT: it just worked after a few days of avoiding, so nm!^^

Edited by Su_Halcon

1 hour ago, Su_Halcon said:

If Pitfires avoid a kill, will they forever avoid it?

I'd imagine it'd be the same as any dragon--you can try again the next day and keep trying each day until succeeding

Is it dangerous for an egg to get sick and heal back up multiple times, or is the duration of the sickness that actually matters?

Edited by 0x08

25 minutes ago, 0x08 said:

Is it dangerous for an egg to get sick and heal back up multiple times, or is the duration of the sickness that actually matters?

It is annoying, but I think not particularly dangerous. What seems to matter more is the duration and the depth of the sickness -- in other words how badly overviewed it was before you caught it, how many views it got and how fast it got them.

Severity seems to be the biggest factor--eggs can be mildly or even moderately sick for extended periods or on/off and hatch and mature just fine.  But getting too sick can kill them regardless of if it's very fast or over time.

14 hours ago, KageSora said:

Severity seems to be the biggest factor--eggs can be mildly or even moderately sick for extended periods or on/off and hatch and mature just fine.  But getting too sick can kill them regardless of if it's very fast or over time.

I'm pretty sure there's also a chance for eggs to die while hidden? The first GoN I had got really sick but I hid it, the next morning it died.

4 minutes ago, Shadowsearcher said:

I'm pretty sure there's also a chance for eggs to die while hidden? The first GoN I had got really sick but I hid it, the next morning it died.

Definitely possible. They can get too many views to survive even if hidden. Hiding only lets them rest from getting any more views, but if they already have a fatal dose, it doesn't cure them.

Just now, purplehaze said:

Definitely possible. They can get too many views to survive even if hidden. Hiding only lets them rest from getting any more views, but if they already have a fatal dose, it doesn't cure them.

Ah. Well, lesson learned for me, don't enter GoNs to hatcheries too quickly   X D

1.Does incubate affect any dragon other than Cantors?

Edit:Thanks Stromboli:3 Now I can feel safe if it’s a sunrise dragon^^

Edited by animalworld7

9 minutes ago, animalworld7 said:

1.Does incubate affect any dragon other than Cantors?

Xols also change color if incubated.

another holiday breeding question/musing:  when it IS holiday breeding time, if i breed a Pryanost x Script (and as long as one is fertilized, even though they bred before), i should hopefully end up with Pryanost? :hopeful:

4 hours ago, Shadowsearcher said:

Yes--hiding it will stop it from getting worse, but sadly if a dragon is too sick by the time it's hidden then it will die anyway.

Your best bet, if an egg seems seriously sick or has been sick for a while is possibly try to use Ward and then hide it.  Especially if the ward will last long enough for it to hatch, since hatchlings seem hardier than eggs (though they can still die as well)

1 hour ago, trystan said:

another holiday breeding question/musing:  when it IS holiday breeding time, if i breed a Pryanost x Script (and as long as one is fertilized, even though they bred before), i should hopefully end up with Pryanost? :hopeful:

1) You're guaranteed at least 2 pryanosts (one of which will be ap'd).

2) Fertility is unnecessary and will not be used up on holiday breeding season because it has no effect.