AroaraAngelwolf

Nobility for a Thief

Xel took a bit and mounted up, "Alright guys, let's move out." He began to ride ahead. Solessa smiled and thanked Neiva for her help that morning.

Neiva smiled. "My pleasure. It makes it easier for you guys so we can go further before it rains. Um.. alLittle help..." She asked as she tried to put her foot in the stirrup but was far to short for it. Matt gave her a boost and then helped Solessa on the horse too. Rob walked and mat practically jogged along with him, Xel being to far ahead to catch up to.

Edited by AroaraAngelwolf

Solessa thanked Matt and robe with Neiva. Xel went to the top of the hill and stopped for them. He pulled out a map and read it over.

((Mind if we skip ahead a few hours of travel. Just so they reach the next town?))

Neiva stopped beside him. She back and then she looked at the hilly landscape ahead of them. The dark clouds gathered quickly. It would rain soon. "My grandmother lives in the next town. If it rains we can stay there for free. She wouldn't mind company... She only has a hand made and a cook for company and another of them are great conversationalists. She doesn't have anything worth of taking, but free lodgings is better then paying three gold for rooms and another two for food and stables...."

((Works for me))

Solessa agreed and Xel led them to the next town. When they get there, They dismount at a well. "Alright guys, fill your water... We are a bit ahead of schedule so we can stay here. If something is worth stealing, report it to me first before going for it..."

Neiva dismounted... not very gracefully. She pretty much fell out off the saddle on her rump. She sat there breathing hard before getting to her feet and rubbing her back. "Ow..... that's definitely going to bruise." She filled her canteen eating her muffin for lunch. "My grandmother lives in the middle of town. I know the area around it so when we come close, I'll let you guys know. " She winced as she walked around. This was the longest she ever ridden. She was glad for the cloud cover too, taking most of the sun's heat off of her.

Xel got off and filled his water, washing his face, "Solessa and Matt, take the horses with Neiva to her grandmother's. Rob, you come with me to buy some supplies." Solessa nodded and took Neiva's horse by the reigns. "Lead on Neiva."

Neiva gave Rob instructions on how to get there then lead the way. Once they got to a small two story home made of brick, she knocked on the door. A maid with brown hair and eyes, in the simple brown and white cloth with a white apron. She looked surprised at seeing Neiva and others with her, but pointed to toe horses and to the side of the house where a small stable was; it's only occupant an old sway backed cart horse and the four seater buggy he pulled himself.

Neiva got the horses settled and the maid helped them bring in some things before leading them to a small sitting room, where a old woman with hair the same color as Neiva's tide in a tight bun, sat in plain black clothes knitting lace as she rocked steadily in the rocking chair. Neiva approached the woman. "Nema.... it's me.. Your granddaughter... I've bought guests. " "Granddaughter?... oh.. you're the kind one.. still in those rags. Humph! My first grandchild shouldn't be in those dreadful things, not when she's a proper woman now! Come in and sit all of you. Let these old eyes get a good look at everyone.... Tell me your names and I'll say mine."

Solessa bowed to the older woman, "My name is Solessa, nice to meet you. Thank you very much for allowing us into your home."

Xel and Rob bought supplies and stuff, and when done, Rob lead them to the building where Xel knocked after introduction were done.

Matt bowed too. "Afternoon ma'am.. I'm Matt..." "Hmmm... ah.. right.. I am lady Anna Alice Garthfello. Everyone these days call me old Anna or Grandma. What ever you prefer... " the sprightly sounding old woman said as she set her lace down in a basket and fumbled with perching a set of glasses on her nose, squinting at the young ones. She sat back and looked at Neiva. "Interesting folk you bring to me dear..." After a short conversation about what the weather looked like outside the knock came.

"Mary, get the door!" The maid scurried to the door and opened it a crack. "They are with us Mary..." Neiva said lightly and the woman let them inside as it started to rain. "Dreadful weather. Come in the door quickly now! I don't want wet carpets and mud prints everywhere. Dear child how many did you bring?" "Just four nema."

Xel thanked Mary for letting them in, "Thank you. My name is Xel, I'm the leader of this group. It's nice to meet you Anna Garthfello, we appreciate you opening your home to us on short notice. We can pay if you need money."

"oh poppycock! I don't mind the intrusion! When you get to be my age, you can use a little excitement... but not to much at least... No need for payment. My son makes sure this house runs fine. Now Mary, go tell cook that we have guests. As for you child, go get out of those rags! I will not have my granddaughter dress in servant clothes!" The woman huffed as she collected a walking stick and got to her feet with some difficulty.

Neiva gave Solessa a small smile. "She is always like this. " She turned back and helped her grandmother up. "Nema, I have no other dresses...." "Don't lie to me girl.. it took me and those two young seamstress three years to make that dress and I will see you in it before I am in the ground. Now go up there and get it on.... Mary, do your handy work on her. Bring her down when ready... you two boys sit down. Now... I'm curious about how she met all of you... She doesn't talk to many people. I always like a good story. Anyone want tea? I can have the cook bring it out..." She moved to a plush floral print chair and sat waving to the other chairs around the room.

Rob introduced himself and sat down by the window on a little ottoman.

Solessa and Xel sat down. Xel spoke first, "Well, our meeting was certainly... Unique." Solessa continued, "We stopped her carriage thinking it was someone else, and from there, finding out about her parents and sister and how they treated her, we decided to invite her to join us."

"That's a vague story. I'm guessing it was a little more then that to it, but I'm not one to pry. " a heavy set woman came out and set a tea set with some biscuits on a table and poured the woman a cup and hands it to her. Anna took a sip. "Tea anyone?" The sound of heals on wood turned her to the door. Mary dashed in grinning and nodded at the elderly woman as she took the cup and helped her up. "Come to where I can see you girl..."

"I.. I don't know nema..... I feel silly... It's wonderful... but... it would look better on my sister then on me...." Anna tapped her cane on the floor in frustration. "Your grandfather told me that, "what one person sees as ugly, another elsewhere sees as beauty." I taught you to make an entrance, so make an entrance!" She quipped sharply.

Neiva sighed and walked straight backed into the room. She had on a beautiful ball gown with the gloves that matched. Her hair was in a V braid and curled. Her bandages where off, and makeup covered her bruises and burns, leaving her skin snowy.

Anna walked around her unsteady on her legs, looking her grandchild up and down. "Wonderful job with her hair and the cover up Mary. She looks like a true noble woman now, definitely better than her sister...." Neiva shook her head at this and looked at the decorative hem of her dress. "No one is as good as her..." She said really quietly.

((Sorry, I'm 1. Thinking of a post that's more than one line, and 2. At my job.))

Solessa smiled, "You look wonderful Neiva! The dress compliments you very well! What do you think Xel?" Xel closed his eyes and smiled, "A dress is a dress. It looks nice, but to me it's just clothing to show class. Just like a uniform."

The old woman tapped his leg with her cane. "Men. For a lady, young man, a dress is everything. Most poor women don't get a dress like that unless it's their wedding day. Most dresses are passed down. For us, it isn't something that shows class, but something that shows womanhood. Have a little respect. I do agree with you miss, the blue looks lovely, and really brings out her eyes. " Anna nods thoughtfully.

Neiva flushed and fiddled with the dress folds. "I'll... um.. go change..." She turned on her heal and practically fled the room, stumbling only a little as she went upstairs.

Xel sighed, "Well then call me hopeless, because I will never understand that. Solessa doesn't need to wear a dress to prove to me she is a woman, and neither does Neiva." Solessa sat quietly, not sure what side to take.

Anna tilted her head at that. "Interesting. My husband was the same way. My son should have been too if he hadn't married that twip of a woman and adopted her ideals. Garthfello household put the "noble" in nobleman and "gentle" in the word gentleman. Oh how I miss the old days, and my dear husband..." She said, looking off in the distance, lost in thought. The dinner bell rang.

Anna made her way slowly to the dining room table, sitting at the head. Neiva joined them later. There was roasted chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, a salad on the side. It wasn't much but it was a meal. Neiva ate slowly, looking a bit down. Rob was trying to eat slowly and leave enough for everyone, while mat just ate silently.

Xel and Solessa left Anna to her thoughts and went for dinner. They made to portion themselves, not taking too much and only what they needed. Xel smiled, "It's very good. We appreciate your kindness. It is hard to find good people sometimes."

((Edited last post sorry!))

The heavy set woman who was the cook looked out of the kitchen and smiled at the compliment. "You're very welcome, and I enjoy the company. When you see the same faces day after day, and the only talk you can have is about the weather- for you already know everything about each other- it gets awfully drab. Mary will show you to your rooms for the night.

"You can bunk with me Solessa, my room here has two beds. It's in the attic, a low ceiling but it fits me, and it's quite cozy up there. " Neiva said to Solessa. She kept her word by not speaking to Xel once all day.

Solessa smiled, "Thank you... are the other rooms nice?I dont want the other 3 to get floor mats." Xel smirked, "You think floor mats are the worst thing we slept on? Dont forget the tree roots at were our beds up north half a year ago."

"Well, two of them may have to double up, and one may have to sleep on the couch. There's only four rooms, two are taken by nema, Mary and Cook. One would be for us girls. The other has two bed too, but it's quite small for three to sleep in." She said, pushing a spinach leaf around her plate.

Xel overheard this, "Then I will get the couch." Solessa looked at him, "Are you sure?" Xel nodded, "Yes. I dont see the difference between a bed and a couch. Neither are the ground."