AroaraAngelwolf

Nobility for a Thief

Xel laughed, "Werewolves? No, the full moon will illuminate the sails of the large ship in the center of town, making a beautiful bluish-white glow all over town. Where did you get the idea of werewolves from? Supernatural stuff like that and magic are just stories." He shook his head and pulled on the reigns to make them move forward. Solessa just stuck her tongue out at Neiva, joking around.

"I read a lot. That's where I got it. Some people are superstitious too. You surprise me. Wanting to watch something like that you don't strike me as the type to see such a display. Don't blame you though, it sounds like it would be wonderful. " She thought for a moment then tilted her head. "Doesn't that happen every month though when it's clear? And surely you've seen it before. ..... I bet you guys have been everywhere in the kingdom." She stuck out her tongue back at Solessa.

Xel looked ahead, "I've been here once, and it was on a New Moon. Trust me this place is very dark without a moon." Solessa smirked and rode on, "So any clue what Diego is giving us?" Xel shook his head, "Not a clue."

"I don't mind the dark. I would probably be the only one able to walk around with hardly any light. I have very good night vision. I don't think I met this Diego.... what's he like?" She asked as they got closer to the town. After they answered her, she started humming her lullaby then softly singing under her breath. " Hush-a-bye, Don't you cry, Go to sleep my little baby. When you wake, You shall have, All the pretty little horses. Dapples and grays, pintos and bays. All the pretty little horses....."

Xel smiled to himself, "Diego is a desert merchant. Most of his life was in the desert, but from there, he brought artifacts and other unique items to the market, making him a successful merchant in the area. I met him at a gathering like we were just at 2 years ago."

"Interesting! I didn't know the deserts had merchants. I bet there are interesting items hidden beneath all that sand. Ahh!" She pressed her face to his back as they entered the bright town. Too bright for her sensitive eyes. She whimpers as she held on to him. "Tell me when we are in the dark again!"

Xel sat up in surprise, "Ah! If it's so bright out, use Rob as a light shield!" Solessa laughed. She looked around, eyes sparkling a the beauty of the city. They rode on a road that circled the city until entering from the east rather than the south.

"I'm on the same horse as you! Would you want me to be even more useless blind?! It's not my first choice either! Be a man and deal with it." She said, muffled by his shirt. Her arms around his waist to keep her from falling off the horse. She stayed like this until they reached Diego's house and Rob lifted her down so Xel can get off.

((Sorry, I'll be offline for a another few days... life is deciding to throw things at me.))

Xel shrugged, "I wasn't expecting the sudden wrap around, just surprised that it was sudden, not the fact you did it." He rides on until they reach a darkened corner. Xel gets off and waits for Rob to help Neiva off. "Nevia, come with me. You other three put the horses away for the day." Solessa nodded and got on the horse Xel was just on.

Neiva opened her eyes in the shadows. She followed Xel keeping her head down and hood pulled low so she can see where she was going. "Not to many shadows here..."

Rob took the pack horse and his own and lead them to the stables, Matt trotting after them, trying to keep up.

"You two are freaking giant's compared to me! Slow down!" He painted after them.

Solessa laughed, "Hey, I'm not THAT much taller. Rob is the tower here." She smirked and patted Rob on the back.

Xel nodded, "A real city of lights... Even at night, it's hard for thieves to organize and work their magic in this place. A lot of valuables here."

"I'm the smallest of my cousins. It runs in the family." Rob chuckled and grinned sheepishly.

"Where does your family live!? In caves?" Matt teased as he caught up to them.

"Hard on me, all this light. I'm sorry for falling asleep on you. I got really tired. We're are we going? Or am I not allowed to ask that?" She moved next to him, keeping up easily but trying to stay in the shade.

Solessa laughed, if robs lives in caves, you live in trees Matt. Your practically a monkey."

Xel smiled, "Don't worry about it. Better you laid on my rather than fall in the ground. And I told you, we are going to Diego's place." He led her around a corner into the Main Street, holding up his cloak to shade Neiva, before leading her inside a building. There was another door inside that he knocked on. "Diego's family is very nice but traditional. No shoes, coats, hats, or excess clothing inside."

"Hey! Just because I got big ears and can climb trees doesn't make me a monkey!" Matt pushed her playfully.

Neiva nodded. "I only have my shoes and cloak on. " She undid the clap on her cloak and saw the shoes just inside the door when it opens. She slipped them off and set the neatly beside a pair of shoes. She went to take off the cloak, but the inside was really bright and she nearly hissed at it. "I seriously want to become nocturnal because of this. It's ridiculous..."

Xel sighed, "Dont worry, it's dimmer inside his house." The door opened, it was Diego. "Ah! Xel! You came at the best time. We finished making dinner for tonight and prepared all the rooms!" Xel and Diego shook hands, "Thanks Diego. I appreciate it." Diego nodded and waved them in. "And who is this beautiful girl. It looks like she was made from the finest marble in the northern mountains."

Neiva blinked and flushed so pink her roots of her hair took on the rosy color. With one step she was hidden behind Xel. Her voice sounded behind him so quiet it would have been a mouse. "M-my name in N-neiva...... i-i'm new to Xel's group...." She looked at her feet. Never had she herd such flattery by any man she knew, other than grandmother and nanny, no one called her beautiful. She definitely wasn't expecting this.

Diego laughed, "Well it's a pleasure Neiva. I'm jealous Xel, she is a keeper." Xel rolled his eyes, "She wanted in, and my sister ideas persistent in letting her stay. But I have faith that she can prove her worth." Diego smiled and nodded, "Well Neiva, know that if you leave Xel's group, you would be welcomed to my caravan. I know a lot of men who would love to make your acquaintance."

Neiva just shrank back even more, this time putting Xel between them. "I think I'll stay with Xel. Solessa might get upset if I leave again. She likes having another girl in the group..." And I think darning five pairs of socks and mending and sewing buttons back on your shirts has already proven my worth.." She said a little stronger, still shy, looking at anything other than the two men with her violet eyes.

Diego just smirked and went to his family as they got things ready. Xel I turned his head back to Neiva, "You okay back there? Don't worry about Diego, he means well. We have to wait for the others anyway so for now just relax." With that he threw himself upon on of their couches and sighed.

Neiva perched on the cushion on another couch and toyed with a strand of hair. "I'm not sure.... no man where I lived dared compare me in such a way. If anything... they'll say I was like the belly of a donkey....." She whispers.

Xel laughed, "Your too modest Neiva. I mean sure your pale and frail, but your not unattractive. In many places, paler skin is a sign of wealth and nobility. Ignoring your skin color even, you got a lot going for you."

Neiva blushed again. "It's hard to believe that, when you've been called something else entirely for most of your life. Even mother's friends would join in on the comments when I serve them. It surprised me such ladies could come up with such foul words..." She rubbed her eyes turning away from him. "Please, just let this subject drop."