AroaraAngelwolf

Nobility for a Thief

The whistle was unnaturally loud and shrill, like a hawk screech. It seemed to carry through the night with ease.

Solessa's eyes opened from her sleep. She pushed at Rob.

Rob snapped up and was out and gone by the time he slipped in his shoes. A half hour later, he trudged back with Neiva.

The poor girl was nearly bound neck to toe in bandages. Her hood was down, showing slightly burnt cheeks still with a faded but yellow bruise from the fan. Her hair was done in a simple braid pink in spots like it burned too, violet eyes near glowing in the dark. She helped Rob when he stumbled on a root. "Careful. There's rocks there. " She whispered.

Edited by AroaraAngelwolf

When Rob got back, Solessa helped her to the extra tent, readdressing her bandages and making her bed. "I'm glad you decided to come. I'm sorry that you've been treated this way... You should get some rest still, it's still a few hours til sunrise."

Neiva was still as the woman helped her. "I'm glad I had somewhere to go.. I've been debating whether or not I should run away. Thank you so so much in letting me be with you guys. I won't be a burden I promise.... thank you..." She said as she hugged her before laying down, falling asleep almost immediately, exhausted.

Solessa smiled as Neiva fell asleep. Unfortunately Xel was the only problem, but for now Neiva just needed to rest out of harms way. She returned to her tent and tried to sleep until morning.

Neiva got up that morning and planned carefully. She slipped the money bag into her pocket again and her warn cloak protected her from the sun. She stepped out of the tent, intending on making breakfast, the corn muffins cool, but still fresh in their box. The cook even glazed them with honey. They taste better that way.

Solessa woke up and saw Neiva awake, "Oh, good morning. Whatcha got there?"

Xel woke up and came out without a shirt as he normally did in the morning. "Good morning Soles-

...what is she doing here?"

Neiva was... well... planning on him to be completely dressed. Her cheeks flushed pink as she snapped at Xel. " I was given a whistle in case I want to get out of that filthy place! I wanted out so I came here last night. I'm not staying with that horrid family anymore! I've always wanted to run off... but I had no where to go until your sister offered for me to come here if I ever got tired of being around them."

She spoke in a calmer tone now and handed the box to Solessa. "Here, the servants didn't want to leave because the family pays them well.. and treats them well too.. it's me they don't like. So, when I announced to them I was leaving yesterday, my baker cooked my favorite muffins as a birthday going away gift. I hope you guys like corn cake, she even spread honey on them." She smiled.

Solessa looked at Neiva, and smiled, "Thank you very much. I'm sure we will love them." She then looked at Xel who did not look happy at all. "This was my idea Xel, and Rob was just following orders. If you want someone to blame, it's me." Xel twitched at that. He marched up to Solessa and looked her dead in the eyes, "...Then she is your problem. You take care of her. But if she gets in my way or makes us fall behind, I will not help her. Got it?" Solessa nodded, a little fear in her eyes. Xel then stormed into his tent, got a shirt, and went down to the bazaar to talk to Diego and buy/sell things.

"You know... I know how to do the laundry, sewing, darning socks and mending clothes. I can knit too. That would cut on some expenses. I'm good at plants, and what is edible in the wild... oh and..." She pulled out the bag of gold and gems with a broad grin at Solessa. "I'd like to try my hand at this thieving businesses. I'm still a lady... so being plight can act as a distraction. I'm sure people will believe a kind young woman has had a accident and is stuck on the side of the road.

In due time, I think he'll see it my way. I have learned from the best negotiators in the kingdom.... being unnoticeable has a few perks....could teach me?" She giggled once he was gone, finally happy after a long time.

Solessa rubbed her head, "Wow... Well I'm sure we will find good use for you... Xel is just... tempered. When random elements are thrown in, he tends to get upset... You don't have to do anything to impress me, just do what you can, and if you want Xel to see you for what you are, just talk to him. He is quite social. No need to rush it though.

Xel was carrying a box of liquor past the tents with the family crest on them on the way to another part of the bazaar.

Neiva nodded. "Right. Now... I thinking should gather things for lunch. Rob? .. I believe Matt is at the showcase, and in every hide out there's traps about, so would you take me around and help me gather some things? There's wild strawberries around here some place.. and the bulbs of irises can be eaten when roasted. There should be a water source near here if there's a willow tree..." She mutters as she took a muffin to go and Rob and her trudged through the woods, Neiva bringing a small basket she found.

They came back later laden with berries, all black, blue and the red pink of raspberries, four lemons, wild grapes from a abandoned part of a vineyard and several long white roots. All where washed clean in the river. Rob carried the basket and Neiva had sharp sticks and speared the roots after cutting the tops and giving them to the horse.

"The servants taught me everything they knew, and I read what they didn't know. Like the fact, honey bees like lemon trees, so we followed the bees to find the lemons." She said as she worked around the fire.

"You there... are you selling any of that alcohol? Any of that whisky? If so I'd buy a bottle from you." The pot bellied man had short salt and pepper hair and a walrus mustache. He wore finery and rings in his fingers, brass buttons gleaming on his straining waist coat. The crest of his household was embroidered on his breast pocket that held a silk blue kerchif.

Xel stopped and put down the box, "Uh... I would, but this is all meant for the festival tonight in honor of the merchant's guild. We need to inventory this. The rules in this bazaar is no under the table purchases anyway."

Solessa smiled, "Wonderful!" She helped get the fruits and ready some for their meal, the rest to preserve for later.

The man huffed and waved him on. "Then get going boy. No dialling in front of my tent unless you make a sale or perches." The man turned his back on him.

Neiva bundled up wood and added tinder to the fire. She squirted lemon juice on the roots and rubbed leaves of some plant on it, saying that it added a bit of spice to the bitter root. They were roasted and done by lunchtime.

Solessa worked with her until lunch. Diego sold things with Matt. Xel was helping set up for the feast that night, also trying to get his mind off of Neiva being with his group. He had to pass Neiva's family tents a few times as he transported things, but avoided walking through there camp anymore. "...arrogant censorkip.gif***s..."

Neiva made the root spicy and sweet, so it covers the bitter flavor they had. She helped around camp after lunch and looked after the horse before settling down in the shade and doing some mending on rob's clothes. She hummed as she worked.

Neiva's family ignored him, dressing in their finest clothes to out shine anyone and sold some more things before the feast that night.

Xel sighed when he finished. Making his way to his camp, he sat down. "...lunch smells good. What great thing did you make this time sis?"

Solessa smirked, "That smell isn't my food." She pointed at Neiva. Xel huffed and took his meal into his tent.

Neiva looked up when Xel returned and set down her sewing and picked up her stolen money walking to his tent. "Can i speak to you please. If not, just listen to me. You've heard of how my family treated me. These wrappings are on me from their doing. I stole from them what I should be worth as a pure elder daughter, unlike my promiscuous sister. I'm sure I can help out around here.... give me a chance to prove myself to you. Here...." She set the bag full of gold and gems at just the inside of the tent flap. "Just to prove it, I stole from my family."

Xel shook his head, "This isn't about your skills, and not about me trusting your resolve... The issue is that you are a liability. I saw how fragile you are. You can't walk for too long, you cant stay I the sun too long, I don't want to have someone in my crew who we have to be gentle with all the time."

"Is that so? That didn't stop my family any did it?" She said quietly and whirled around and walked to the stream. That day was different. She had on a thick dress, it was hot and her corset was a little snug plus she was already hot inside the carriage. Yes she faints if she's out to long, yes she's fragile of body. She hated it.

She hid under a willow tree by the coolness of the river finishing her sowing on a rip in one of Solessa's blouses and started working on a patch in another trouser leg.

Xel rubbed his eyes, "He was tired of all this drama... He grabbed a flint and pocketed it for later. His focus switched to tonight, a festival that would not be forgotten.

Solessa tended to the horses, petting the new addition, "What should we name him Rob?"

Rob thought long and hard. "Um..... Neiva said the mare is Jill, so... Jack? Does that sound good?"

Neiva had fallen asleep under the tree and was there until sundown. She got up and stretched, heading back to the camp to eat berries for dinner and tidy up the camp, now she was finished with the patch work.

Solessa laughed, "Jack and Jill! We can give him a pale of water!"

Xel passed Neiva on his way to the bazaar, not ignoring her completely. Solessa was looking around the camp, "Hey Neiva... You haven't seen our flint? We have more but I didn't want to use a new one yet."

Rob grinned. "Let's just make sure he doesn't fall and break his crown!" He patted the horses.

Neiva shook her head and tilted it taking off her cloak. "No... but one of the guards told me about this....." She hurried off and came back with a smooth stone from the river. She took a dulled dagger blade and set it by some tinder. She ran the stone along the blade. Nothing happened. It took her several tries to rub it fast and make some sparks that caught the tinder and she nursed the flames higher. "There! And it's a great wait sharpen something...."one side of the knife was polished now the other side not so much. "But.. I'm no good at sharpening blades. That's the one thing the guards and cook didn't teach me....." She shook her hand from the hurt she put on it and the cramps from holding a needle nearly all day.

Solessa smiled, "don't worry. Matt and I are good with weapons and maintaining them. You rest easy until the feast tonight. Rob, be a dear and take our patched up clothes into the tent."