Fortune86

Please Closed ~ Died

"Or I'm not trying hard enough. Or trying too hard. Or...something."

Kit looked away from Diane and back at his still-empty hands. What was it the Professor had said the previous night? He had spent so much time trying to look for the man behind the mask that he'd only half-paid attention to the actual words. Something about relaxing? Focusing? Perhaps that was his problem; Kit had been thinking so hard about just conjuring something that he was going the wrong way around revealing what power, if any, he had. He was trying too hard, like when searching for lost keys in the front room; eventually it takes a moment to just forget about them and looking around with a clear mind to actually see what was in front of him all along.

As the others around him started playing with conjuring their elements Kit tried to put the gusts of wind and twinkling lights out of his mind, and instead zero his thoughts and his mind. Rather than stare at the others and desperately wish for a sudden spark of light in his own hands, just accept whatever was out there would come to him and show him exactly what it was that he had some power over. Perhaps it was less showy, subtle, a slight shift of something in the world around him. Maybe he really was magic neutral - or maybe his power was actually nullification?

Kit sighed; he was over-thinking still. Drawing in a deep breath he visualised all his thoughts, all the distractions, every temptation gathering in his lungs, mixing, swirling, becoming part of that breath, saturating it, and so when he exhaled they all spread out and away, leaving him empty of thoughts. He took in another breath, held it for a second, exhaled. Let himself settle into a less obvious breathing pattern, one where all he did was look at the gap in his hands. His eyes started to unfocus, look beyond his cupped palms, concentrate on nothing in particular. A meditative state, at least the best a teenager could achieve without direction, settled over Kit.

And after a minute or so of that, nothing happened.

Kit deflated slightly. Had he missed his opportunity the previous night? Been so obsessed with seeking reality that reality bypassed him altogether. He looked down at his hands, his palm stinging from where he'd cut himself the previous night. That stupid shard of rock, appearing out of nowhere just when he was enjoying his ride...

Kit's bicycle of thought stopped.

A shard of rock had lanced into his wheels on path he knew was smooth and new. Not a lump of concrete, an actual shard of splintering rock that had no business to be there. And it hadn't just punctured a tyre but smashed through the metal rim of the wheel completely, a freak accident that not even downhill rock-racers ever suffered from. Bent frames, smashed bikes, sure, but actually punching a hole through the wheel? All while he had lost himself in the comfortable motions of cycling, his mind leaving the body to do the work while it went off and simply relaxed.

With slow, deliberate movements Kit turned his hands over, palms down. Once again he slowed his breathing, emptied his thoughts, but this time he allowed his mind the luxury of remembering the feeling of a good, hard bike ride. The rhythmic motion of his legs and the warmth of muscles working hard, the feel of air whipping past his body, distorting then conforming to let him pass, the familiar beat of music in his ears. A strange way to describe relaxation but it was the only real way it made sense; when cycling hard he was mentally at ease, totally relaxed. His body was just a vessel while his mind flew freely.

The ground before him rumbled.

"What are you kids doing in here?"

The sudden shout jerked Kit out of his state and he spun to face the source of the noise, but it was an almost-autonomic reflex. His mind was still linked into that state of blissful being, and the shout gave his mind a sudden object to focus on as it snapped back from that place. Like being jerked out of a dream there was a second where he was caught between two worlds, where he was still sat in the room and at the same time mind flowing through the world around him, tapping into that peace.

Which was why as Blake stepped into the room a lump of rock the size and shape of a fist surged up from the ground beneath his feet, as if the earth itself was trying to punch the young man.

Diane stood back to watch Kit. His face had changed, he somehow looked less focused but at the same time more with it. She cocked her head to the side and watched him intently. Was something really going to happen now?

"What are you kids doing in here?"

Diane gave a startled jump and leapt around, expecting to see a security guard or policeman. Before she could focus on the figure in the door something happened to the lights behind her, causing them to flash and explode into sparks. Diane cried out in shock as the lights hit the ground with a crash, but what really grabbed her attention was the cracking noise from the doorway as the floor burst open and a strangely shaped rock formed in front of the person standing there.

As Diane tried to regain her breath and still her frantically beating heart she finally figured out who was at the door.

"Blake?" she said in frightened but angry tones. "What the hell do you think you are doing?"

Edited by Fortune86

Ray joined the others in jumping at the sound of the noise. He'd been half-expecting it the whole time, but still. As the lights went out, he looked up - shards of glass hit his face, one opening up a small red slit on his cheek. "****!" he cursed, looking ahead to the door.

...Oh.

"What the hell are you playing at?" he fumed. He noticed Kit's rock for the first time - impressive. But he was more preoccupied with Blake. Was he here just to cause trouble?

The tall boy stepped up next to Diane, bristling slightly as blood ran down his cheek.

Username: MaskedDeath

Character Name: Ruby Rochelle

Appearance: Pretty, long black hair, curly red highlight above her left eye, brownish green glittering eyes, skinny, thin red lips, 5.8 in height.

Unique Magic: Pyromancy

History: Was born the only child of a fashion designer mom and stock broker dad. She's very intuitive and her classmates love her curious, bold, focused and jokester qualities. She's known to be somewhat rebellious and protective concerning her beliefs.

[[Masked, this RP's full :\ Says it in the subtitle of the thread.]]

A lot of things happened all at once. Several of the others jumped then something exploded, causing a light to crash on the ground. Ray swore and Blake only had a moment to laugh before he glimpsed something rushing towards him. A solid object hit him in the forehead, enough force behind it to make him reel backwards a few steps. "****ing Hell! God ****ing damn it!" Blake hissed, the flashlight clattering to the ground as he bent forward slightly and held a hand to the offended area. "****! That hurt! What the Hell was that for?" he snarled, scowling. "Je-sus! I was only playing around! No need to stone me for it!"

Damn! He was bleeding from his temple and his head throbbed with a migraine. "****ing Christ... No need to treat me like the bad guy! I was just trying to have some fun," he huffed, blinking the stars out of his vision as he crouched down to pick up his flashlight. At least it didn't break. "Look, sorry for the scare. But, lighten up, huh? I came by to make sure none of ya got hurt or anything."

"I think if you're going to jump-scare a group, you should expect some people to react violently," Kit said after a moment, getting carefully to his feet. His mind and body felt like one again, but he knew that for a moment there had been a sense of being connected to something else. Something so vast, so powerful, that it would be easy to lose himself in it. It thrilled him to think that there was something else out there, something to tap into - and scared him too, that it was something he could get lost in. Whether or not he had been about to conjure something was beside the point; he could try again in a bit.

((Sorry Masked, but it has actually said 'Full' for a long time now. Also if you read the rules, an important thing to do when joining any RP, you'll see that there can't be more than one person with a kind of magic, and that forms are supposed to PM'd to me directly.))

Diane looked sideways as someone stepped alongside her and saw that Ray's cheek was bleeding. He must have been hit by the falling glass. It didn't look bad, but still, it could have been a lot worse. Turning Diane looked back behind her at the smashed light. Thank god no one had been right underneath it, someone could have ben really hurt.

"Unfortunately it seems your arrival has actually resulted in someone getting injured" said Diane turning back to look at Blake and gesturing to Ray's face at the same time. "Didn't you even check first to see what we were doing? What if we had been doing something really dangerous and your little stunt had gotten someone killed?"

She looked around for Diaval, who had so far remained silent.

"Diaval? Do you know if there is a first aid room or kit here? I want to make sure Ray's cut is cleaned out. That light was odld and probably filthy."

"And what if I had been a cop doing his job? Are you going to make the same retort?" Blake scowled at Kit, glaring. "A cop would have startled you just as much as I had. You know this." Frowning, he swiped more blood from his temple. Great. His mom was going to fuss once she saw his face. "I already said I was sorry, Diane," he snarked. "Besides, how the Hell am I supposed to see what you guys are doing in here? It's almost pitch black and the closest windows in reach are all boarded up. Now, get the ****ing rods out of your ***es and get off your high horse. You guys are already doing something foolish, you shouldn't even be here. This place is old with all sorts of equipment. With what little light there is, I'm surprised no one got hurt until now."

He shook his head, still frowning. "You guys are acting like this is the coolest censorkip.gif to happen in your lives. Maybe the magic tricks are. But have any of you stopped to consider the consequences of it? And I don't mean lack of sleep. I'm talking about swallowing every word some unknown stranger told us just because he won't show us his face and the element of mystery has you all drooling.

"I'm talking about the fact that this guy wants us to lie and keep secrets from people. That includes our friends and family. Did any of you think of that?" Blake paused to let his words sink in. If any of them were listening. "Are you guys really okay with that, with going against your integrity and morals just because some faceless voice told you to? Cause I know I'm not okay with that. I'm not okay with lying to my mom, my little brother, or Riley. I take pride in my integrity and honesty. Don't any of you?"

Ray glanced at Diane. There was an odd twinge in his chest; she cared for his safety? A rational voice in his head told him that she was simply a caring person, but he couldn't help feeling a little... flattered?

"A cop wouldn't have known any better. You do." Ray spoke up in response to Blake. There was, however, an element of truth to his words. They were indeed lying. His fingers had curled up into fists, and he had to force them to relax. There was something about the boy that just put his back up. Feeling hair beginning to stick to the lines of blood down his face, he re-tied the wavy black strands.

"I want to know what's up with all of this. I don't feel good about- about leaving out some details, but I want to know what this guy is planning. I want to know what happens next. If it's not me, then it's someone else. And if this guy isn't planning good things, then I want to know about it."

Edited by Chicogal

"Oh come on" said Diane exasperated. "You're acting like he's some kind of criminal or something. It's not like he's asked us to kill anyone. All he's done so far is asked us to keep our lessons secret, and considering what we've seen so far that might be the best thing to do. Say we all learn to do real magic and people found out about it. Can you trust everyone you know to keep it to themselves? Are you sure someone wouldn't go to the press or something? Would you want to spend the rest of your lives being hounded by people wanting you to do magic for them? Maybe that's why the Professor doesn't want to tell us too much about himself, maybe he can't trust us yet not to out him. If he's got some real power than he probably wants to keep his identity secret for his own protection. You willing to make another person's life hell just so you don't have to feel bad about not telling your parents every single thing you get up to?"

“Oh my gosh! Oh my gosh! I’m so sorry guys.” Wendy exclaimed out of shock. “I didn’t mean to, it was an accident.”

When Wendy heard who was responsible for the distraction she felt a small burning sensation of wanting to punch Blake. It took a lot of her to hold back and not say anything but when she heard he had gotten hurt himself she could only smile. But she still felt bad, she could have really hurt someone. What if the electricity struck someone and caused their heart to stop.

Wendy gave a few steps back from shattered light, still feeling really bad for what had happened. When Wendy started to pay attention to the current conversation she could only roll her eyes at Blake’s questions.

“Man you’re such a kill joy. I promise you all of us had thought who this professor is and all that crap. We’re not idiots. And I agree with Diane. Keeping this a secret is important. I mean Mr. Money Bags over there can tell you all about it because he is basically in such a situation everyday of his life.” Wendy spoke as she pointed to Diaval.

~~

If anyone could see Diaval’s face at that moment they would see he was quite angry. An emotion he didn’t show a lot. He stood there in silence glaring at the intruder.

He only reacted for the first time when Diane asked for a medical kit.

“No but I have one in my car. I’ll go get it.” He spoke in a low bitter tone. As he walked towards the exit he made sure to pause a bit next to Blake. “You know I took precautions that we won’t be disturbed. Next time you should think before you act.” With that said Diaval left the building and headed straight towards his car.

Tension rose in the room as each person added their voice to the crescendo. But it finally fell flat as Diaval left the room. Ray sighed heavily, giving his head a small shake. What had happened was over now, there wasn't much more to do. He swiped blood off his lips, glancing at Diane once more before going back to Blake.

"Are you with us or not?"

Blake ignored Diaval's side comment as the boy passed by him, focusing on the others in front of him instead. "And what if he does tell us - not ask us - to do something we're against? I'm not planing to go around and blab it all to some random stranger but I'm not going to lie to my own family and Riley. I'm not about to start acting like I'm hiding something from them because that's just going to end up hurting all of us instead." He shook his head, frowning. "You can't speak for everyone, Wendy. Because none of you have once acted like you've thought about this."

Glancing at Ray, he nodded once. "Yeah, I'm with you. I want to make sure none of you get hurt. Someone's got to call the cops if things turn sour while you're all being carefree," he smirked, waving his hand in an attempt to dissuade the tension. He was only trying to look out for everyone. Why did they all insist on treating him like the bad guy?

"I'm sure we'll all point on the doll where he told us to touch him, should it come to it," was Kit's extremely dry response as he picked up the bike light and his small backpack. Given how Kit was generally someone who tried not to draw too much attention to himself, such an openly-sarcastic response was somewhat out-of-character for him. But the day of thinly-veiled abuse from staff and students, the exhausting late-night walk with his broken bike, and what he was sure was a moment of intense revelation now rudely interrupted was testing his patience. He did agree with Blake that someone had to keep an eye on everyone, because up until a few minutes ago Kit had silently decided he would be that person, but with the undeniable proof provided by the others he had to admit that perhaps it would be fun to delve into this tantalising world.

Blake seemed to think they were acting like primary school children with no thought for the safety of themselves or others. Kit doubted any of the group could be influenced into doing anything particularly shady or underhand; a few late-night lessons in magic (parlour tricks or the real thing) wasn't exactly criminal or harmful, and he was certain in his own mind that he would be able to peel away should the need arise.

Delving into his own backpack Kit brought out the small first-aid kit he always carried when on his bike, which had already seen service that day when patching up his own hand. Dival had gone to get something that was no doubt larger and better-stocked, but until then Kit was happy to get something to stop the bleeding. Pulling out a pack of gauze he walked over to Ray, shining the torch so that it illuminated the wound but didn't blind.

"Let me just check if anything's in there, and then you can use these to keep pressure on it until Dival's back," he explained to Ray.

"You don't trust the guy" sighed Diane at Blake. "Fine, we get it. You keep telling us. But can't you at least respect that some of us want to give him the benefit of the doubt? We're not eight years old. We don't need you to babysit us. We actually can think for ourselves."

She took a moment to collect herself and took a moment to just breathe.

"Look, none of us came here to fight. How about just for now we focus on what we set out to do?"

She looked over at the doorway were the stone that had struck Blake was. That had to have been Kit right? At least Blake's interruption had had some benefit.

((SORRY been in the midst of exams and all teh studies, completely forgot ;_;))

Ray relaxed slightly as Blake agreed to stay with them. Things would be miles easier without the worry of someone being spiteful and spilling the secret they shared. As Kit spoke, he lightly touched the cut with a finger and looked at the blood. "Sure," he agreed. Green eyes flitted to Diane and quickly back to Kit. He grinned suddenly at his own misfortune-

"Wonder how this will play out when my family sees me in the morning? 'Hey mom, I was playing with knives last night...'" He chuckled lightly. "Ah, well. I hear girls love scars in any case..."

Edited by Chicogal

Diaval returned with a rather large medical kit and placed it next to Kit who seemed to be attending Ray. The room was getting darker and darker by the minute and this made Diaval worry a bit. They could have a lot more accidents if they can’t see what they are doing.

“I’ll get a proper medical kit tomorrow which we can hide and leave here. And we will need to come up with a plan if we want to continue practicing here. It’s getting to dark in here and we need a decent light source.”

Edited by DragonSpirit009

"I don't think it'll scar," Kit frowned in concentration, leaving Ray to keep pressure on the wound as he stripped his blood-covered gloves off and rifled through the medical kit that Dival had brought in. He found some water in a sachet, more gauze swabs, and a pack of steristrips that would do the job. "It looks fairly shallow in all honesty. And maybe be honest and say that a light overloaded and you got hit by glass? I always found if you tell some of the truth it makes it more believable than a lie."

A small yellow plastic bag found it's way onto the floor that allowed Kit to throw the rubbish into, and after adjusting his bike light so that it gave him a good view of the wound Kit went about cleaning up the cut and putting the steristrips in place. He had always been warned to be careful with steristrips, that if not placed properly a wound wouldn't heal properly and could scar badly, but that had been reference to deeper and bigger cuts. This cut would probably heal fine of it's own accord, the strips simply stopped it from continually opening and bleeding. It took a couple of minutes to complete the job, but finally Ray's face was clean and held together with the strips. Kit gathered the rubbish in the bag and tied it up. "Job done."

Ray shrugged to himself. "It was a joke," he muttered. This Kit guy seemed to take things really seriously. Maybe he would be good for keeping them from doing anything too stupid... However he was, he sure was good at first aid. All he felt was normal pain - nothing extra from unskilled pinching or pulling. When it was done, he patted it lightly with a finger. "Thanks," he said, surprised.

"Does anyone have the time?"

"I think there is a store that sells some camping lamps near my parent's place at the mall" said Diane. "I might be able to pick a couple up. I don't know how much light they would actually give though."

While Kit attended to Ray's cheek Diane carefully walked across the floor towards the nearby desk. As she had hoped there was a small waste basket for paper waste, though on closer inspection it was made of plastic. No good for her idea, but she picked it up anyway.

She eventually found a fire bucket, a large metal one painted red. Diane carefull tipped the paper waste out of the plastic pin and then poured the dirty sand in. Leaving the bin of sand where she could quickly get it later if needed, Diane put the paper in the fire bucket and returned to the others.

Crouching down Diane put the fire bucket on the floor in ther center of the group. Holding her hand over the top she conjured up a fireball and dropped it into the bucket, where it hit the paper and started to burn.

Diane stood up and stepped back a little. the fire wasn't as big or as bright as she had hopped, there not really being a lot of paper, but it might do for now for a light source.

"Let's try not to knock this over" she told the others.

Ray asked for the time and Diane glanced at her watch. "It's only twenty-five past seven."

Edited by Fortune86

"That's pretty cool. Good idea." It hurt to talk and smile, but Ray still did so hesitantly. It was awesome to see their powers being used for actual purpose. They could actually be applied in real life - like Diane's little fire.

Phew. They still had a while to go before Night Class began. Interlinking his fingers, he pushed them out until they gave a small click. Then, he brought a hand close to him, wiggling his fingers as a small amount of water gathered within his palm. What could he do with this...?

"Hey, Diane. Conjure up some fire?"

Edited by Chicogal

Diane moved a few steps away from her small fire. I really wouldn't do to warn everyone not to knock it over and then accidentally kick it herself. Just as she got to a safe enough distance Ray asked her to conjure up another fireball. In his hand she spotted a small ball of water floating above his palm. What was he planning?

"Well...okay."

Making sure she wasn't standing too close to any of the others or the bucket, Diane held out her right hand and watched as a small ball of flame appeared above her own palm.

"Before you do anything you better tell me what" she warned Ray. "I want to be prepared."

Having helped patch up Ray, Kit put his own small kit back in his bag and then switched off his bike light, given Diane had now created a light source of her own. Grabbing some of the spare notepaper from his bag he added the meager fuel to the fire to give it some more time to burn through, and then made sure he was several sensible steps away from both Diane and Ray. His bike light was in his pocket, close to hand in case the next stunt went wrong and left them in the dark.

((AHH SORRY I thought I'd replied ;_;))

Ray grinned at Diane confidently, coming a little closer so that their hands were a few centimetres apart. He was pretty interested to see what would happen; call it an experiment.

"Well, I just wonder what would happen if our elements touch? I mean, they're the same magic, so maybe they repel? Or do they act like normal elements? I'm simply curious," he admitted with a shrug.

"So, put your hand like this so we won't be in the way..."

He bent his wrist such that his fingers pointed down, perpendicular to the floor, and his palm was facing toward her. This meant that his water bobbed without anything below it; just his hand to the side of it. He wouldn't get hurt this way, if anything were to happen.

"Try putting your fire close to my water, see if it'll make steam?"