Fortune86

Please Closed ~ Died

He just wanted to make steam? Diane didn't really see the point, but decided to continue to indulge Ray. It couldn't really hurt could it?

When Ray adjusted his hand so that his ball of water floated to the side Diane did the same with her little ball of fire. At first she feared it might just drop to the ground, but the flame continued to hang suspended in mid-air. Maybe there was some kind of trick to it? Like they had to mentally let go or something? Trying not to focus onthat train of thought in case she really did drop the flame, Diane moved closer to Ray until their little balls of magic almost touched.

Nothing happened.

Diane frowned and tried to move the fire a tiny bit closer, but a small ripple in Ray's water caught it and the two elements came into contact. The sphere of liquid popped like a water balloon soaking both of their hands. The fire went out as the water washed over it and left both Diane and Ray standing there with wet hands.

"Maybe we should have brought some towels too" laughed Diane standing back and trying to shake her arm free of water.

Ray let out a soft yelp of surprise, that developed quickly into laughs. He was quite amused by the outcome, also giving his hand a shake. "Yeah, might have been a good idea." It was better than being burnt, though. He frowned at his hand, then looked back across at her. His water came from moisture in the air, right? So, why not...?

Holding out his palm again, he flexed his fingers and concentrated. The water on his fingers bubbled up to his palm again, and a few droplets came off Diane and toward him. His green eyes were wide with amazement. This was pretty cool. But something else was on his mind.

"Did you see what happened? They didn't make steam or really interact with eachother... Sorta weird," he commented, with a small frown of thought.

"I think the magic works a little bit differently when we conjure it" said Diane. "I mean, when I conjure up fire it doesn't even feel hot. But then I was able to burn that leaf..."

Diane trailed off as she recalled her short experiment that morning. She had picked a dry leaf up off the ground and held it against the fire. The leaf had burned just fine and her fingers had felt the heat from that.

"I think it stops being magic when we let it out of our control" she said slowly. "When we first conjure it up it doesn't play by the normal rules, but once it's out in the world alone it acts like it normally should."

((Pfft I dunno whether to continue just posting just you and I? As we seem to be the only ones posting?))

((I'm hoping it just because people are busy with the holidays and that the RP will pick up in the new year. I've been rather lax myself lately D:))

((I am still around, just working all over Xmas....got three days off over the fortnight, today included. And all RPs seem a bit slow this time of year. -KM))

"In fairness, how does a floating ball of fire or water actually work?" Kit asked neutrally, hoping that his voice got across that he was not challenging them but simply asking. "Perhaps, if there is some sort of quantum-physics-string-theory explanation as to how you can conjure the elements then it means that they all work by a consistent set of rules that we haven't yet discovered?"

“You know that kinda makes sense.” Wendy said. “Last night, when I experimented with the little ball of electricity, I didn’t get shocked or anything. But when I used it to charge up an old toy I shocked myself.”

The girl made her way closer towards the other two watching as they worked their magic.

“You know I wonder how strong our magic is. I mean how big or hot can your fire burn or with you Ray, how big of a water mass can you summon or handle?”

((I’ll think up something for Diaval soon.))

"Well I guess the only way we'll find out is if we try. Keep back guys."

Diane shuffled a little further away from the others. If she was going to try this, there was no harm in being cautious. She really didn't want to burn anyone by accident.

She wiped her hand dry on her trouser leg and then held it out in front of her. She concentrated hard, trying to make the fire bigger, but the flame that appeared above her palm was its regular golf ball size. After a moment's disappointment she tried again, pouring her energy into the flame to make it grow, but try as Diane might she could not increase its size. All that happened was that she felt more tired as she continued. Not wanting to exhaust herself before that night's lesson, Diane shook her head and extinguished the flame.

"I can't do it" she admitted out loud. "I just can't make a bigger flame."

Ray shrugged at Kit's speculations. He wasn't sure either, and that stuff sounded a bit too complicated for him to bother with. At Wendy's suggestion, he nodded and brought his hands out in front of him again. He waited for Diane to go first - it seemed she had a limit. Did he, as well?

The black-haired boy concentrated again, brow furrowing. Water started to gather just above his palm, a small sphere that grew larger as time passed. However, it reached a limit that he couldn't push past. It was around the same size as Diane's - around a golf ball or so. Sighing, Ray let it go into the air again.

"No luck here either."

"I guess it makes sense" said Diane. "We are still pretty new at this after all."

She wished she hadn't tried to answer Wendy's question. She felt so tired now, and it was only quarter to eight. She was also starting to feel pretty hungry. As much as she wanted to, Diane wasn't sure if she could continue with their practice session.

"I think we better call it a day for now" she suggested. "I want to get some sleep and something to eat before class tonight."

((I think it's time we started the second lesson. If you like, please make a wrap up post and send your character on to the school. Next time I post it will be a few minutes to midnight.))

Kit nodded in agreement. "If we're going to be meeting up in the middle of the night time and again I think we all need to get used to having naps during the day - preferably without arousing too much suspicion. Think we can convince the man to move the sessions to an earlier time?" He tacked a smile on the end of the sentence to show it was a joke as opposed to a serious suggestion, but the rest of his sentiment was true; despite having had one nap he was already feeling tired again and would need a bit more sleep before disappearing out again that night. He just hoped his parents would not get too suspicious if this turned into a normal routine.

Grabbing his bag and his bike light he said his goodbyes to the group and headed out the door.

Hey everyone,

Due to lack of activity (my own included) I have decided to close this RP. I had fun RPing with you guys, so I hope we can do so again in the fure. Thank you all smile.gif