Fortune86

Please Closed ~ Died

Diane had only just turned her head when Blake appeared before her. She hadn't seen him before. Had he sprinted up the path from the road or what?

"You and I both know I don't have a single match on me" she smirked back. "What about you? Did you figure out yours yet?"

Last night Blake hadn't shown any indication of having unlocked his gift, or even a particular willingness to do so. She wondered if he had changed his mind since then.

Blake shook his head, rolling his eyes slightly. "Come on, you know last night was just parlor tricks. You could have easily thrown out the match, doesn't matter that it's not right in front of me. And, no. Nothing happened and nothing will happen." He shrugged, frowning. Bending down, he picked up a torn leaf and tossed it into the flowerbed, turning his back on the plants. "Do you honestly believe all of that? The guy didn't even give us his name, let alone allow us to see him. You're going to trust him despite that, believe his words?"

Shifting his bag onto his other shoulder, he held out his hands briefly. "I'll show you even. I'm surrounded by several different elements right now and, I promise you, nothing's going to happen," he stated. Briefly concentrating, he looked bored. Again, a small flower quivered without his noticed.

Dropping his hands, he placed a fist on his hip. "Nothing. Again. Now, are you done being gullible?"

Diane pursed her lips. Why was Blake being such a stick in the mud? He was no fun at all. She was rolling her eyes at his attitude when he spoke again.

"I'll show you even. I'm surrounded by several different elements right now and, I promise you, nothing's going to happen."

Since she was facing Blake Diane had a different point of view. When he had paused, presumably to concentare, she noticed a slight movement on the bush nearest them. One of the droopy roses had wobbled very slightly.

Frowning she looked at it, then back at Blake.

"Do that again" she requested.

"Do that again."

Blake blinked at her request, caught off guard momentarily. After a few heartbeats, he opened his mouth to start refusing but promptly closed it. It was likely that Diane would just keep pestering him until he humored her. Fine.

Turning to face her more this time, he held out his hand once more. Though he looked like he was, Blake chose not to concentrate this time; what would be the point? He had already proven that happened so, why bother with putting in anymore effort?

Nothing moved this time. No flower twitched at his (unknowing) command. "Are you happy? Did you see what you needed to in order to believe that they're just parlor tricks?" Blake asked, his tone light to prevent her from thinking that he was mocking her.

Edited by Narvix

Diane watched the rose bush carefully, but this time nothing seemed to happen. Had it just been the wind before? But nothing else had moved, just that one flower. Maybe it was her imagination.

"Are you really trying?" she asked Blake. "I mean like really trying? You can't half ass it you know. Not if you want something to happen."

Looking around she saw that apart from the two of them the path was empty. Perhaps it ws worth the risk. Nonetheless Diane stood up and shuffled closer to Blake so that she wouldn't be seen. Holding out her hand she conjured up a fireball so that only he could see.

"How can you still believe this to be a trick? What exactly would we gain by trying to fool you?"

((Only Diane is immune to her fire, Blake should be able to feel the heat.))

Wendy walked briskly down the road towards the school. Her left hand clenched her bag and her right hand held her breakfast. She walked in silence, eating her breakfast, while she was trying to shake off her nervousness after her mother’s interrogation. She was good at evading certain situations but has never been good at lying to her mother. That usually happens when her imagination got the better of her again, which caused her sometimes not to stick to her story.

A couple minutes later Wendy strolled through the parking lot of the school, greeting some of her fellow students along the way. As she walked she noticed two of her midnight classmates. Picking up the pace she went to greet them with a smile.

“Hey guys! What you up to?”

“Hey guys! What you up to?”

Diane glanced over her shoulder when she heard someone call over to them. To her relief it was Wendy, another student from the night class. That meant she didn't have to quickly extinguish the flame again. using her free hand she waved at Wendy and beckoned her to come over.

"Hey" she said when the orther girl was close enough. "So, still a believer? Blake is having a hard time."

Edited by Fortune86

Blake's expression became unamused and he rolled his eyes. "Yes, I am trying. And nothing's happened," he responded. Did he want something to happen? Yes and no, really. Sure, it'd be cool if he was allowed in on the stage act. However, he truly didn't care if something occurred or not. As Diane continued to talk, he glanced away, wondering if he should just start walking for the front doors. The school was letting students in by now, right?

Hearing movement, he shifted his attention and realized that Diane had gotten closer. On reflex, he flinched back, confused. When she didn't get too invasive on his personal space, Blake relaxed and stood straighter as she held out her hand. Flames sparked to life, shaped into a ball that hovered above her palm.

The tall boy frowned deeply. More tricks. Was she really going to keep pushing this illusion on him? "It's a trick of the light, Diane. Simple t-" His words stopped abruptly in his throat, his hand poised over the fiery sphere.

He almost thrust his entire hand into it.

The sensation of the heat licking at his exposed fingertips and warming the palm of his glove had made him stop though. As his brow knitted together, sharpening the 'v' in the middle, Blake withdrew his hand. Thoughts started racing but were quickly interrupted as someone else spoke up.

Shaking his head, he looked over and recognized Wendy as she drew near. At Diane's quip about him "having a hard time", a twitch tugged at the corners of his lips but, otherwise, Blake didn't give any outward reaction. "I can believe in parlor tricks. I just don't believe in real magic."

"Your loss" shrugged Diane. "I wonder if the Professor will let you continue if you don't put any effort in."

As she had been looking at Wendy she had missed Blake nearly burning his fingertips and the subsequent look of confusion on his face.

More students had appeared at the far end of the path now, forcing Diane to extinguish her fireball. That always made her feel a little sad. Would she have to hide her magic from everyone forever? Maybe one day they would learn less obvious things.

"But come on. If you could have a magic power, what would you want?"

"I am putting in effort. I just said that," Blake repeated, rubbing his cheeks. Shaking his head, he sighed. He guessed he could indulge Diane's curiosity and answer her question. "I don't know. Sound, I guess. Either that or something to do with mechanics. I'd be able to fix my bike without having to go into a shop for the more serious things," he stated, smirking at the thought. His bike worked just fine now but, like all machines or technology did, it would have some problems eventually.

Shrugging, he started walking away from the girls. Greeting Wendy with a wave, he glanced over his shoulder. "Guess I'll see you ladies again tonight. Keep up on your homework," he remarked before melting into the growing mass of students.

Claire parked the car and got out. There were a few other vehicles parked there, he briefly wondered whether any of his fellow magic students had arrived yet.

Leaving the car park he made his way towards the school, stopping when he saw three of his seniors standing together.

'I don't know. Sound, I guess. Either that or something to do with mechanics. I'd be able to fix my bike without having to go into a shop for the more serious things,'

Claire frowned and tilted his head thoughtfully. The guy then began to walk off headed towards the school building.

Cheerily Claire walked about to the two girls.

"Good morning. Hmm I wonder whether I can use my abilities on cars? I've only been thinking about their use in cooking but I could probably branch out huh?" He asked them, semi-rhetorically. He watched the guy storm off.

"So did you get much sleep? I wish the classes were sooner in the night, I had to be up bright and early at sunrise for the restaurant," Claire sighed.

“Maybe his power is not to believe?” Wendy joked as Blake walked away. She did wonder what will happen to him if he doesn’t “figure” out what magic he has before the next class. Maybe his element isn’t around here she thought to herself.

When a new voice joined their conversation Wendy greeted with a smile. “Hey… Claire right?” Wendy spoke trying to think if that was the guys’ name. “I didn’t sleep much last night. I kept playing with the little ball of electricity. I couldn’t stop examining it.”

~~

Diaval got out of his car and pressed the small button on the key locking the car. There were quite a few students at the parking lot now, some clustered in groups and chatting. Diaval didn’t want to stay to long there mostly because someone would spot him and then “try” to be his friend. The young man started walking toward the school in silence. As he got closer he noticed some of the others from last night. Diaval paused in his steps not sure if he should go talk to them. He rarely approached the other students at the school but seeing they were in this strange midnight class he might actually talk to them. The only problem is he actually felt a bit afraid to approach them and ended standing and staring at them from a distance.

Kit was back on his bike the next morning, a little bleary-eyed thanks to having to get home later then planned and then up early the next morning fitting the spare wheel on. After repairing his bike Kit had sat with the trashed rim in his hands, wondering what on earth could have caused so much damage so suddenly. It was as if a lance of rock had been fired up out of the ground and smashed through the rim - though an admittedly-small lance, and given the general strength of bicycle wheels they were not the most robust of constructions. However it was unlike anything he had seen before, and he had been relying on push-bikes the second he had removed his stabilisers. Simply cycling over a spur of rock - on a tarmac cycle path, no less! - should have done this much damage.

Still the cycle back to school not more than seven hours after leaving it was a pleasant one, with the morning air crisp and refreshing and the last vestiges of morning mist evaporating from the fields that bordered his route to school. His right hand smarted from the cut he'd received, and the sweat building up soaked into his bandage and made it sting all the more; he'd have to replace it once he got into school, and then again when he got home. The cut wasn't particularly deep or bleeding heavily, but with it lying across the palm of his dominant hand it was continually opening and closing again, providing a sharp sting each time.

Thankfully his mechanic skills were as sharp as ever, and the extra time he had factored into the cycle were not needed. Free-wheeling into the parking area Kit found himself a bit early for class, which suited him fine; a quiet spot under a tree and a Kindle in hand would kill time as required. For whatever reason he wasn't the only one here though. He recognised Wendy, Blake, Claire and the others, some as classmates and some as peripheral fellow students who had attended the same school together for some years. Interesting how they also all seemed to be from the class the previous night - had they camped out or something?

"Morning Dival," Kit said as he came up alongside the other lad; with them both being 18yrs they had shared classes throughout their time at the school.

Diane shook her head as Blake walked off. Well, if he wasn't interested that was his problem. She wasn't going to waste any more time trying to convince him of anything.

She turned to focus on Claire and Wendy. At least they seemed as excited as she did. When Wendy admitted to spending half the night playing with her new power Diane couldn't help but smile.

"Same here" she chuckled. "I keep using mine whenever I get the chance. I was too tired to do much last night, but I've been experimenting all morning."

Diane nodded down at the burnt leaf by her foot. If nothing else it was a reminder that her power, well completely awesome, would have to be treated carefully. She didn't want to accidentally get carried away and set someone on fire.

Looking back up she spotted Dival standing nearby looking a little unsure. Diane remembered that he never seemed to really hang out with anyone, giving him a reputation that he thought he was too good for a public school. However the way he was staring at them Diane wondered if he wanted to come over. It wasn't like he could talk to anyone else about last night.

She gave him a small wave and tried to gesture him to come join the tree of them, but at the same time Kit appeared on the path and approached Dival. Diane wondered if Kit had managed to do what Blake could not and figure out his gift.

“Morning Kit.” Diaval spoke as he turned his head to great the man. “Odd to see you so early here.” He continued talking. Diaval shifted his bag from one shoulder towards the other feeling a little more comfortable now. He only knew Kit from certain classes and shared a couple group projects together in class but nothing really big. Or maybe it’s because Kit was a guy and not a girl. Diaval didn’t really know how to approach them to begin with and for some reason he felt slightly intimidated by those two standing there.

Nonsense. Diaval said to himself. He was making a big issue over nothing.

“So what happened with your hand?” He asked noticing the bandage on Kit’s hand. “It wasn’t there last night.”

~~

“Have you tried to see if you can burn yourself?” Wendy asked curiously. “I didn’t want to with mine. I might end up with some spazzed out hair.” She said smiling.

"Something knackered my bike," Kit explained, unwrapping the bandage and tossing it in the bin. His hand glistened with sweat and the cut looked clean and superficial, but even as he flexed his fingers the cut started bleeding lightly. "Dunno how it happened but a shard of rock just went straight through the tyre - " with this Kit made a noise approximating something being hit " - and trashed the whole thing. Got up early to swap wheels, and gave myself extra time in case my handiwork didn't hold up to the ride."

Kit swung his bag off his shoulders and fished around inside for the spare bandages he'd packed. "How about you - manage to get much sleep after last night?"

"I tried a small experiment just now" said Diane nodding to the burnt leaf by her foot. "My flames don't hurt me when I hold them, but they burn like normal if I set fire to something. I guess magic can only go so far, either that or I'm not strong enough yet to control them properly."

She reached up and fidgeted with her hair a little. Dival and Kit were standing just a little too far away to be overheard and more and more students were starting to arrive. Classes would be starting soon.

"Can we meet up at lunch time?" she asked Claire and Wendy. "And maybe we can try and rope the others in too. I'm not sure about Blake, but I want to know how Kit and Dival are getting on. Kit looks like he hurt his hand, so maybe he figured out his gift."

((SherlockedWhovian has not posted in character since the start of the RP. I am going to try and replace them with another interested party. This new character will have 'been' in the previous night class, although very quiet o3o))

Diaval looked at Kit curiously when he explained what had happened. Or rather say what he thought had happened. None the less is did seem a bit odd.

“Well hopefully it won’t get infected or anything.” Diaval spoke hoping the guy was actually okay. “I slept fine. Been pretty much normal on my side so far. How about you? Have you…” Diaval paused in mid sentence noticing more students arriving. It wouldn’t be wise to talk about last night’s class right now. Too many ears that can hear, not that they would believe but Diaval figured the less people know the better.

“I think we should head in. Class will start soon.”

~~

“I’m in for lunch.” Wendy spoke cheerfully. “But do we need the non believers. I mean Kit didn’t seem to fall for it either and Diaval…” Wendy then looked over her shoulder at the pair talking in the distance. “Who knows what is going on in that rich boy’s head?”

"I need to go sort out my hand - catch you later," Kit said with a wave of his good hand, before moving inside and stopping in one of the bathrooms. Washing his hand under the cold tap he dabbed it dry with a paper towel, absorbing the blood and water before unwrapping his new bandage and starting to bind the wound. One of the other students using the bathroom gave Kit an odd look as they used the next sink over to wash their hands, a pointed stare at the sink full of bloodied water.

"I am going to wash it out," Kit assured the younger lad, who simply turned to dry his hands and walk out on Kit as he finished wrapping up his hand. "How bizarre," he muttered to himself, shrugging as he splashed water around the sink with his left hand to wash away any trace of blood. While he could understand that a basin of blood was not something anyone wanted to walk in on, it seemed like a rather dirty look for something so minor. He would have expected a comment at least on the gash in his hand and perhaps what passed for a sense of concern these days, but instead it was a quiet, pointed look and a feeling of disdain instead.

Maybe the guy was having a bad day, Kit surmised as he gathered his bag, binned the rubbish and made his way to class. The corridors had cleared of all but the late-running students, and Kit walked briskly to his next class. While he was not given over to using excuses he figured he had a half-decent one for being late, and as he slipped into class he raised his bandaged hand in apology to his teacher. "Sorry I'm late sir," he said softly in the expectant silence of the classroom.

"And why would that be, Christopher?" the physics teacher replied, eyeing Kit as he made his way to his seat half-way up the right side of the room. Kit did his best to keep a frown off his face, and raised his injured hand again.

"My hand, sir."

"What about it?"

Kit managed to keep an incredulous look off his face and out of his tone, but he did cock an eyebrow. "It's injured, sir. I was getting it rebound."

"By the school nurse?"

"No sir."

"So bad enough to need a bandage, but not enough to have it bandaged by the nurse?" The stare Kit was pinned with was the kind usually reserved for late homework and rude jokes, not someone with a bleeding palm. "Please see me at the end, Christopher. We'll discuss how you can make up missed time."

"All two minutes of it, sir?"

In the silence that followed, Kit was well aware that perhaps that wasn't the wisest response. As the teacher simply fixed him with that stare, Kit took his seat and pulled out his textbook, waiting for the lesson to resume. Those seconds of silence stretched on into infinity, and Kit was very much absorbed in the blank page before him. Not until the teacher began to discuss the coefficient of restitution did he looked up again.

Diane nodded in agreement. She didn't want to be late for class since her homeroom teacher was a real jerk. Since she still needed to grab a couple of things from her locker she'd be cutting fine if she didn't go now.

"Right then. See you both later. Try and get out to the others if you can."

She gave Claire and Wendy a small wave in parting and then hurried towards the main doors. Without actually breaking into a run Diane quickly made her way down the corridor towards her locker and saw that her friend Lucy was waiting for her. When had she arrived?

"Hey" Diane greeted slightly breathless.

"Hey" replied Lucy. She wasn't really looking at Diane but instead was fidgeting with a couple of text books she was holding in her arms. "So you were getting pretty cosy out there huh?"

"What?" asked Diane as she opened her locker. Her mind wasn't really on Lucy at the moment so she didn't pick up on the tone of her questioning.

"I saw you outside talking to that weirdo Claire. I didn't know you were on speaking terms."

Diane withdrew her books and turned to look at Lucy in confusion. For some reason she sounded rather annoyed.

"Weirdo? I thought you liked Claire. Just last week you were telling me how cute he was. It wasn't just the two of us anyway, someone else was there."

Diane wondered if Lucy was jealous. Like many girls in the school Lucy harboured a small crush on the effeminate looking boy, but Diane had never thought it would be big enough to justify getting peeved at her for just talking to him.

When Lucy didn't reply or even look at her Diane shut her locker and sighed.

"Come on, we're going to be late for class."

Lucy turned and walked away, leaving Diane to trail after her. When they got to their homeroom Diane took her usual seat, but to her mild surprise Lucy instead chose to sit a row away rather than beside her as she normally did. Diane stared at her, mentally trying to figure out what her friend's problem was, but when the teacher started to speak she just rolled her eyes in exasperation and tried to focus on the lesson instead.

Wendy nodded and waved good bye to Diane and Claire before heading in her own direction. Her class was near one of the exits of the school and it was a lot easier to go around than moving through the busy halls. A couple other students clearly had the same idea and also made their way to their class. Wendy didn’t have that many friends in school and the few she had would have been at the class already. So her walk was rather in silent and lonely which caused her to look down at the ground as she walked.

“Morning.”

Wendy’s head shot up and saw one of the PE teachers, making his way from the parking area to the school. Mr. Davidson is one of those teachers who tried to act cool but failed in so many ways.

“Morning sir.” Wendy greeted back with a smile.

“I hope you’re not rubbing off your laziness on those two students.”

“Excuse me sir?” She asked puzzled.

“You know what I’m talking about. Don’t want you to be the cause of other student’s low grades.”

Wendy paused in her steps looking at the teacher in disbelieve. “Sir that is so wrong to say stuff like that to a kid.” She spoke feeling upset and angry.

“Oh and you would know?”

“Well yeah! I mean, I have feelings you know!”

The teacher looked at Wendy and merely rolled his eyes. This even made Wendy even more upset and wanted to throw a brick at him. “And what would you know. You’re only teacher PE. It’s stupid. And you are too.”

With those words Wendy rushed to her class trying to push down the anger that was beating in her chest, leaving the teacher on his own outside. The girl was so angry she almost entered the wrong class. Eventually Wendy reached the right class and took in her seat, still fuming in silence.

~~

Diaval said his good bye to Kit and started making his way into school. The halls were busy but not as busy when classes changed. He reached his locker and gathered the books he needed when a familiar voice greeted him. He just gave a nod and closed his locker.

“So I saw you checking out those girls earlier.”

“What girls?” he asked looking a bit confused.

“Um… what’s her name that is in class with you and that Diane girl.”

“I wasn’t checking them out Ethan. We just share a class together.” He spoke blandly.

“Whatever. You know she calls you rich boy?”

“So what? She calls you frog face?” Diaval replied grinning a little. One thing for sure, Wendy did now and then gave people nicknames, and sometimes it fitted the person well. She was weird like that but that didn’t bother him much.

“Yeah, she better stop that or I’m going to make her pay.” Ethan stated.

“Just drop it. She is who she is.”

“Oh defending her now aren’t we?”

“No I’m just saying don’t pick on girls.”

“You just suck man. I thought you got my back.”

“Not when it comes to making girl’s “pay”.”

“Screw it. I’m leaving.”

Diaval only shook his head at the boy as he left. They might be “friends” but the guy sure has quite a bit of anger issues. Diaval continued zig zaging thought the halls of the school until he reached his class. He saw that Wendy was already there and there was a seat open next to her. At first he hesitated for second but he decided to take the seat and take this chance to talk to her about last night.

“Hey Wendy.” He spoke as he took in his seat. She didn’t react at all, so he said hello again. Wendy still didn’t react which made Diaval worry a bit.

“Hey are you okay?” Eventually she looked at him and just nodded, still not saying a single word. Diaval noticed she looked a bit angry and left her alone. At that moment the teacher stepped in greeting the class causing everyone to settle in and begin with homeroom.

[[i hope this is okay.]]

Arriving to class early wasn't something unusual for Blake. What was unusual was his friend's cold shoulder towards him. Sitting down in the seat beside the student, Blake grinned and gave the typical greeting. But, instead of a similar response, they got up and moved to seats over with a muttered, "**** off." Frowning, Blake narrowed his eye in confused concerned.

He stood and strode to their side, crouching down in front of their desk so he could see Riley's face. "Hey, what's up? Something happen at home?" he asked them.

Riley shook their head, auburn-colored hair flopping about with the motion. Curls fell before Riley's brown eyes, the ever-present smile nowhere to be found on their lips. "No," came the short response as they tried avoiding Blake's pressing gaze.

"Then what's wrong? Why are you in a bad mood?"

"It's nothing! Just kids being their nasty selves," Riley muttered, giving a huff of indignation.

Blake bristled, growing angry. "If someone's picking on you again, tell me. I'll go beat their ****es for you," he stated, beginning to rise.

Quickly, Riley's small hand rested on his arm, keeping him rooted despite the soft touch. "No one made fun of me. People understand I'm not a girl or a boy. They were being nasty about you and the other night class kids," Riley confessed.

Blake opened his mouth to ask who but his friend nodded towards the door, indicating a pair of boys and a tall girl as they walked into the classroom. "Hey freak boy," the girl purred, laughing a moment later.

Thoroughly confused, Blake didn't know how to respond. Usually, the trio ignored him and Riley but, today, they seemed intent on shooting nasty looks his way. Eventually, one of the boys piped up. "Yo, Patch. How was the late night class? My buddy here theorized it was a censorkip.gif teaching class. Did you finally get laid?" Snickers erupted from the three.

Again, Blake bristled but Riley's hand kept him from jumping on the kid. "What's it to you? At least I have good choices in a class while one wouldn't even help you get some lip action. Not with that ugly mug of yours!" he retorted instead.

"Yeah, whatever! Go censorkip.gif a rat hole!" Again, the three snickered.

Blake didn't know how to feel. He wasn't used to being subjected to such behavior from classmates, let alone those three.

((Hope this is fine... I'm not good at rp'ing girls))

Waving good bye to his two seniors Claire hurried to his locker.

Upon arriving he saw a small throng of girls all waiting, upon seeing him they all visibly perked up.

The one at the front, a short blonde girl Marie, happily embraced Claire in a hug. Claire hugged her back, smiling.

"Morning Claire! How are you today? Did you have a good night?" Marie rattled on.

As Claire opened his mouth to speak he was interrupted by the tallest of the girls, a member of the volleyball team, Siobhan.

"Don't try and change the subject Marie, who were those girls you were with earlier?" She said, her voice somewhat intimidating.

Claire went to respond to her but was interrupted by pony tailed red-head, Alex.

"I think I've seen them before, they're both in the year above us!" She stated.

"Claire how could you be so mean, going after older girls!" Came another voice, Violet, Claire assumed.

"I always thought you were into guys..." a quiet voice followed.

"Wha- really?" Claire stammered at the last girls quip. Marie still had her arms wrapped around him, Claire wondered if this was actually a way to keep him from running.

"Come on Claire tell us, why were you with those girls!? I've never seen you with them before," Siobhan demanded.

Claire tried to turn around and open up his locker, but Marie still held him solidly in place, he had no idea they'd be so accusatory.

"Look they just came to the restaurant last night and they liked the dish I made, they just wanted to give their compliments that's all," Claire said. Marie's arms relaxed slightly as did the air around him.

Siobhan's eyes were still suspicious, she hmmmm'd.

Suddenly a loud voice broke through the intimidating atmosphere.

"Come on ladies, if you keep harassing little Claire-bear like that you'll all be thrown into detention" an amused voice called out.

The girls and Claire turned to look at the approaching youth. Michael, with his curly brown hair and impressive height and build he stood just taller than Siobhan and played basketball for the school.

Marie tightened her grip around Claire at the sight of him, the three of them had known each other longer than the others and Marie still harboured anger at Michael for bullying Claire as a child. Though Claire ever the peace-keeper had long since forgiven Michael and now the tall muscular youth acted as something of a bodyguard to Claire, mainly to keep their jealous peers away.

"He's right if we don't hurry we'll be late for class," Alex chimed.

With a nod from Siobhan Marie withdrew her arms and the gang of girls trotted off. Though Claire was subject to a 'We'll deal with this later' glare from Siobhan.

Claire released all the air that he'd been holding, there's nothing quite as scary as a group of girls scorned.

Michael chuckled as he watched them go and gave Claire a reassuring pat on the back.

"Ah, Siobhan so wants me," He said, assuredly.

Claire looked up at him with an amused expression, he'd heard some interesting rumours about the boys basketball team and the girls volleyball team .

Claire opened his locker, and pulled out his stuff, he was glad that none of the girls were in the same class as him, especially Siobhan as she could be very overbearing.

"Did those girls really only just come to compliment you on your cooking? Most people would say that at the restaurant," Michael said.

"No we were all part of an outside school group, you know arts and stuff... in fact they wanted to meet up at lunch but... I don't know what I'm gonna do," Claire said, the vision of Siobhan's angry glare still strong in his mind.

"Arts and stuff? Aren't you busy enough as it is with your work at the restaurant?" Michael asked.

"Yeah I am but I've always wanted to bring something new to the restaurant, you know like some kind of performance or entertainment. You know I was watching a video of how these Taiwanese cooks prepare-

"Right, right, leave it to yourself. I'm just a fan of the food man, if you wanna get all theatrical with your cooking than keep it away from me," Michael interrupted.

Claire stopped talking and blushed in embarrassment.

"Sorry Mike, I got a little carried away," He said looking down slightly.

Michael squinted his eyes and frowned as he looked down at Claire. It was times like these that his friend really looked like a girl. Michael gave him another affectionate pat on the back.

"All good man, now come on let's go to class,"He said.

Claire nodded and the two walked off.

Diane wasn't really the sort to get easily upset, but at the end of her first lesson she felt like punching someone. Not only did she have to put up with Lucy either ignoring her or casting her sour looks the entire lesson, but it seemed everyone else was getting in on the act too.

Since Lucy had changed her seat the spot she normally occupied was filled by some guy called Darrel. Diane didn’t really know much about him since he usually sat elsewhere and hanged out with a different crowd, but throughout the entire lesson he was passing notes back and forth with the guy sitting behind him. Occasionally he’d glance in Diane’s direction and snicker. She had no idea what the joke was but the sound of his stupid little laugh was getting to her.

He wasn’t the only one casting her furtive looks either. As time passed Diane became more and more aware of other people quickly looking over at her. Why, she had no idea.

To cap matters off the teacher was being a bigger jerk than usual. He was asking the class a lot of questions today, but never picked Diane when she raised her hand to answer. The only time he singled her out was when she didn’t know what the answer was. When she had to admit she had no idea he mocked her for not knowing something ‘so basic’ and told her to study more. Diane sat fuming in her sit while the class laughed around her.

When the class finally ended Diane was so angry she grabbed her bag and stormed out the classroom the second the bell rang. By the time she had reached her next class she had been able to calm down a little. She was probably just being over sensitive or something. Taking a deep breath she took a moment to chill. Kit was in her next class, so at least she’d be able to talk to him and invite him to the lunch time gathering.

Kit was neither the class show-off or dunce, but was normally one who sat comfortably in the pack, knowing enough to get through tests and coursework but never quite the genius or fool. However that day he felt like the latter, and couldn't quite put his finger on it. Their teacher worked through what was, in essence, a basic mathematical principle at their level of education; when two objects collided, a certain amount of energy that was lost through sound and heat from collision while the rest went into sending those two bodies on their separate ways. The coefficient of restitution was a ratio, a real number between zero and one, which approximated the relative energy along the line of collision by comparing relative speed directly before and directly after collision. Very simple in one-dimensional problems, reasonably difficult in two dimensions but not impossible. Draw a diagram, map the impact before and after, put the numbers into equations. For someone on the cusp of studying at university level this should have been easy.

For the life of him, Kit just couldn't manage today.

Was it the rather unfair chewing-out from their teacher that had Kit off-balance? Perhaps it was the feeling of eyes on him at all time that made the back of his hair stand on end and cause him to give furtive glances over his shoulder now and again, only to find everyone else engrossed in their books and workings-out. It was an odd, paranoid sensation that did not settle well with the young man, who generally didn't have anything to be paranoid over. Now and again he would be unsettled during bad weather on his bike, worried of a bad driver losing control or not noticing him despite lights and reflectors, but generally he was content with himself. He dressed cleanly if not always fashionably, was well-kept if not Prince Charming or Hulk Hogan, and got the B-grades that marked him as mildly intelligent. So why did he feel like he was under the microscope that day by his fellow students.

When the end of the lesson came he couldn't be more glad to scoop up his books, pocket his pens, and go forward to the teacher's desk for his thankfully-simple punishment; he was given three extra problems to solve on top of the class homework. Simple, if he could get his head around this stupid, stupid topic.

Walking out Kit took a moment to compose himself in the hallway, exhaling and envisioning the stress of the last lesson leaving his body. He was just having a bad morning. Everyone had mornings like that. Trying to think nothing more of it he moved off to his next class, his pace subconsciously a little faster to try and avoid another mess of a lesson. Arriving with time to spare, he spotted a seat next to Diane and made his way over. "Mind if I join you?"