Fortune86

Please Closed ~ Died

Wendy stepped in when Blake made way for the rest of the group. She was a bit surprised about the sudden heated debate but it luckily solved itself. Wendy then took her seat at one of the open desks and looked at everyone with a smile.

“I’m in for exchanging numbers. Have a feeling we might need to get in touch with each other a lot more in the future.” She spoke.

~~

Diaval followed silently just shaking his head.

“Come on guys. Aren’t we getting enough crap out there? I wouldn’t mind breaking away from all the negativity out there.”

Diane smiled at Wendy, Kit amnd Diaval. At least they all seemed to want to co-operate. Reaching into her bag she pulled out her cell phone and looked up her own number. She never had been able to memorize it properly.

"Ok then. I'll go first."

After reading her number out aloud so that the others could enter it into their address books. Once she was sure everyone was ready she opened up a new contact of her own and turned to Wendy, who was not standing cloest, to see if she wanted to go next.

Black almost scoffed, shaking his head. "No one expressed the purpose of this meeting. I was only told that we were meeting up at lunch. That was it! No mention of importance or secrecy or whatever the hell the subject would be. I thought you guys just wanted to eat lunch together in the cafeteria because we had something in common now so, why the hell not sit together?" he snarked.

His green gaze hardened momentarily before he grunted. "Look. I don't care about meeting up. I just want better information. I'm not about to up and ditch Riley just because the rest of you are part of Night Class and they aren't. What sort of friend would I be then? Better information next time so I can better reschedule with Riley. We're always eating lunch together and I don't want Riley to be hurt because of miscommunication or because they think I'm trying to avoid them somewhere down the line. Got it?"

As Diane moved on to exchanging contact information, Blake made no move to pull out his phone or write down her number.

Ray grinned at Diane's face. It was pretty cool, wasn't it. He laughed aloud as it moved as he thought - left. It wobbled over, like some sort of strange jelly. It wasn't controlled yet, and didn't hold any sort of elegance. But it was hilariously amazing. Quite suddenly, a dark cloud seemed to descend upon their mood; Blake arrived, with a friend in tow. After a brief argument - for this was meant to be a closed meeting - the friend left, and their little ragtag group was left alone. Cellphones came out. Glancing down at the water, he furrowed his brows - it slowly grew smaller, until it dissipated into the air. Cool.

Still grinning disbelievingly, he pulled out his cellphone and entered Diane's number. Hrm. He'd be getting some girls' numbers today; not too shabby...

“We get it!” Wendy spoke as she herself took out her phone. “You’re protective of your friend. No need to bite everyone’s head off! This is like the first meeting so things will be a bit confusing and we have a time to get organised for now. So are you going to sit there and look all tough guy or are you actually gonna participate?”

When Diane read her number Wendy quickly typed in all the details. When Diane looked at her she figured that she wanted her to go next. She gave the girl a quick nod and then said her number out loud.

“So who’s next?”

~~

Diaval didn’t really want to get in this current argument. He had learned the hard way to stay on the side lines and not interfere, he just took out is phone and started to enter numbers. When Wendy spoke it almost sounded a bit like she was attacking Blake but he knew her a bit better than that. That was just how she talked but he doesn’t know how Blake might take it.

“I’ll go next.” Diaval spoke saying his number out loud, hoping to keep the conversation rather on the numbers than more arguing.

Edited by DragonSpirit009

When Blake continued with his little rant Diane just rolled her eyes and turned away. She wasn't in the mood for a fight and if Blake wanted to be a pillock then let him. It seemed Wendy felt the same way, as she quickly chastised Blake for his continued aggression. She smiled at the other girl and copied down her number into her cell phone's address book.

Diaval was the next one to read out his number. Wendy wondered a little if he was okay with giving out his number or was just going along with the crowd. He didn't seem to hang out with many people at school, probably fed up with all the not so subtle requests. At least now he’d have something to talk about that that wasn’t tied to money.

Ray's fingers quickly moved on his smartphone's screen, tapping in his new contacts. It was funny to think about, really. They were each quite different from the other, yet here they were, tied by a fateful night in this very classroom.

As Diaval finished, the tall boy cleared his throat. He read his number aloud, then added, "I'll put us all into a chat group." A few clicks later, and everyone who had said their numbers received a notification of this. It was the best way to keep in contact, after all. Ray just needed to add Blake, who was being a bit of an arse about this whole thing. Naming the group, "Dumbledore's Army," he smirked slightly to himself at his own lame reference.

Kit's touch-phone had seen better days, the case and protective sleeve showing their share of scuffs and scratches, but the touch-screen itself was still intact and he'd taken the liberty of adding a screen protector as well to make sure. He was quickly tapping away as he input numbers, racking his brain to remember the names of some of them. Yes, they'd shared the same school for most of their lives but some of them were a year or two younger and so he had little to do with them. People like Diane, who he'd been through school with, he knew well enough that he already had contact details for and was simply making sure he had her most recent number.

"So, do you think we'll be taught any tricks tonight? What do you think he'll start us on - sleight of hand, card tricks?"

Diane sighed at Kit's question as she finished entering his number into his phone. He still didn't believe, but she didn't really hold it against him. If he hadn't been able to work out what his particular gift was it must be hard for him to understand. She looked over at the door, but the cover from the night before had gone from the window and there was no lock, so conjuring up a fireball might not be a good idea. She didn't want to risk someone just walking in.

"Whether you think all of this is real or not" she said turning back to face the others. "I think we can expect more than a few card tricks. I mean, we had fireballs and weird metal stuff and things last night. I’m guessing we can expect something similar again."

Diane looked between Kit and Blake. The Professor had told them their homework was figuring out how their magic was manifesting itself. Would he be angry if they didn't even try?

"Straight to the smoke-and-mirrors?" Kit shrugged. "Well, I suppose some prefer us being able to walk before we can run, and some throw us straight into the deep end." Then again perhaps that was the kind of magician this person was; more about the visually impressive than the subtle and secretive. Not that Kit was overly upset as it still didn't change his mind - if he got bored, he'd quietly excuse himself, but he'd give the guy some more time first. He wasn't going to cut and run after two sessions.

Blake wanted to snort in derision. Looking like a tough guy? Just were did Wendy get that stupid idea? "I'm sorry but, I stopped being aggressive three minutes ago. I just listed out a few guidelines to help things run smoothly from now on," he remarked, frowning. "You're the one shouting now and accusing me of trying to bite people's heads off. And, "look all tough guy"? I'm sorry. Have you met me?" he laughed. "I don't dress the way I do to make some kind of impression. I dress the way I do because I like what I'm wearing. That's it. I could care less what people think of it," he stated, shrugging.

As Kit began to inquire about what they might be learning next, Blake sat straighter. "I'm with you. Sleight-of-hand and card tricks are likely next. I doubt it's smoke-and-mirrors stuff so soon; not everyone can jump straight to the hard stuff and Mr. "I Think I'm Cool By Being Mysterious" would be dumb to think otherwise."

Diane sighed. She really hoped that the entire meeting wasn't going to be listening to people arguing, not when there was more important stuff to discuss.

As she suspected Blake sided with Kit, thinking the whole thing nothing more than a bunch of illusions. How did they explain still being able to do magic hours later, away from the school and away from their Professor's influence? However she decided it was more effort than it was worth trying to convince them otherwise. They had made up their minds not to believe and that was it as far as they were concerned.

Hoping to head Wendy off from rebuking Blake further Diane turned to her.

"What about you? Can you still do that electric thing?"

If she remembered right, Wendy had made sparks flow between her hands.

Nothing. No powder on the floor where Diane had sat, no wires under their desks, no curtains or fake wall partitions or even a literal smoke machine or strategically-placed mirror. It was conceivable that, after leaving last night, the gentleman had cleaned everything away ready for the day. But not a hint of magnesium powder or smoky residue? That was dedication especially given they would be back again that night. Perhaps then that was why it was so secretive - some new technology was being deployed, that this particular magician had something brand new to bring to the Magician's Circle that he wanted to perfect before going public with shows? It was exciting in it's own way, and Kit couldn't help feeling a tingle of anticipation.

He had perched on a desk next to Diane, feet kicking the air lazily, as she spoke to Wendy. He looked over at Wendy as well, wondering just what it was Diane was talking about.

“You’re an idiot.” Wendy said looking at Blake. Everything he was saying was idiotic. Nothing she said was about his clothes or how he looked. And he said she was shouting? Clearly he has some ear issue. She was talking normal, like she always do. If he wants to hear her shout she will gladly give him a very loud demonstration.

Wendy’s attention was then drawn to Diane when she asked about her magic.

“Oh yeah. Or I could still this morning when I woke up.” Wendy spoke looking down at her hand. “Thou…” she then looked at the door. “I don’t know if I should do it?”

Diane followed Wendy's glance to the door. Like her she was worried about some random teacher walking in on them. If Wendy was seen shooting sparks across the classroom like something out of a Star Wars movie then there would certainly be questions.

"Not in here" she said turning back to face the long haired brunette directly. "We really need somewhere more private to practise. School is far too busy."

She smiled at Wendy though, pleased that she too had tried to experiment with her powers since their lesson. Ray had already shown off his magic ball of water, with a very close call with Riley too. That left only Dival.

"How about you?"asked Diane as she turned to look at him. "Yours is wind right?"

Diaval was a bit caught off guard when Diane asked him a question. At first he wasn’t sure what he should say and to tell the truth he wasn’t sure himself about his magic as well.

“I think so.” He finally spoke. “I can’t really try anything due to the security cameras and so on at our house.”

Diaval felt a bit awkward after mentioning the security at his home. It was such a rich boy reply and he didn’t want the others to think of him in that way.

“Well…” he started talking trying to forget about what he had said. “I can organise a place where we can meet up to practice. There are a couple of abandon buildings on the edge of town that my father own. He is waiting for the permit to demolish them but that will only happen in a year or two. There is no security so it’s easy to slip in.”

"Oh?"

Diane didn't know that rich folk had security cameras inside their houses too. Maybe they didn't believe in taking chances. She could understand how awkward that would make keeping secrets though. Even if wind was invisible to the eye, disguising the effects would be difficult. However it seemed Diaval had thought of a solution already, some empty buildings his father owned.

"Really? In that case I'm in."

“Me too.” Wendy exclaimed excitedly. “Where is the building? Maybe we can organise a meeting there before class or something?”

“Yeah. It’s that three story abandoned gym north of here. There is a fence around it but there is a hole on the left side. So it’s easy to get in.” Diaval spoke giving a little smile. “It’s fairly safe there. I’ve been there a couple of times.”

"I think I know the place you mean" said Diane. "I've never been there myself, but I think my mom had a membership there. She only went like twice."

She thought for a moment before speaking further.

"Is there anything still there? Like treadmills or whatever? I don't want to loot the place" she added quickly, realising how she might sound. "But if there is any broken equipment left then maybe we could use it as target practise?"

Kit couldn't help smirking, doing his best to hid the expression and return to a more neutral setting. Target practice? Really? He didn't realise they were now all Jedi knights and Gandalfs. While he was dubious about the apparent abilities some of his colleagues thought they'd displayed he didn't want to be as negative and demoralising as Blake, he at least shared the boy's grounded sense of realism. However if they were going to go charging off thinking they could conjure fireballs and lightning strikes it might help if someone joined them who could keep a more level head and tie a half-decent bandage.

"I hope you don't me coming along?" he asked. "I mean, all for one and one for all with this class isn't it?"

"Of course" said Diane to Kit. "We'll probably make more progress if we work together. Everyone is welcome, that is if they want to come."

This last part was directed mostly at Blake. He was being such a jerk over the whole thing Diane wondered if he would just drop the night class and flounce off back to his normal life and friends.

However the prospect of really being able to use her magic and show off a little had filled Diane with restless energy. Having something to look forward to was cheering her up. Even if the afternoon classes were just as bad as the morning ones, knowing that soon she'd be able to let rip with her fire would give her the strength to hold on.

Aha, good ideas were flowing! Ray simply smiled, watching as the conversation/argument unfolded. There were certainly some... interesting characters involved here. This could all very well go up in flames. Perhaps literally. There was a proper meeting place for them set up now, an abandoned building. He glanced at Diana; she was rather straight-laced, wasn't she? He'd never heard of her getting into trouble, never seen her heading to detention or anything. One got to know the types of people in school; she seemed to fly under the radar. But here she was, planning to sneak into an abandoned building. His expression grew slightly amused as he glanced back down to the floor; good girl gone bad...

Ray pushed his chin-length black hair behind his ears, and hopped off of the edge of the table.

"I'm not sure what we're training for. Is he planning to hook us into some kind of mafia? We may want to be careful with what we share and say around him," he commented, crossing his arms. "What does he gain from giving these abilities to us?"

Diane looked at Ray, unsure exactly where he was coming from. The mafia? What did they have do to with anything?

"While I'll agree that he's certainly mysterious" she said out loud. "I don't think we have to be too suspicious of him. It's not like he's done anything to hurt us. The only strange thing so far is that he refuses to tell us his name or what he looks like yet. It's like the internet, but in real life."

She took out her cellphone again so she could check the time on the clock. They'd have to wrap this up soon if she wanted to get anything to eat.

"So are we all agreed then?" she asked the others as she put her phone away again. "We'll meet up at the old gym after school? About seven o'clock?"

"Providing I don't end up in jail for having snapped, agreed," Kit sighed as he pocketed his phone again. He leaned against a table and checked the binding on his wound. The day had already been a long one and they had only just hit lunch; now they had more lessons, a trip to the old gym, and another midnight meeting arranged? Fortunately he had the last period off and could get home for a nap between now and then, but he was sure to feel drained come the following morning.