Syrup

Pet Rocks

Yes, you read it right. How about pet rocks on DC? All kinds of rocks! Stones, pebbles, heck, maybe even gems!

These guys would kinda be like leetle trees, as something you can find among eggs. Their description could be something like this: There is a rock among the eggs that seems to catch your eye. However, you aren't limited to just one. You can have an infinite number of pet rocks

And you can grab it without it taking an egg space for any amount of time. But, you can do things to them as if they were dragons! You can name your rocks, describe your rocks, 'abandon' it by throwing it back, or even 'kill' your rock by crushing it (the kill could even fail by the rock bouncing back and hitting you in the face or something).

Now, these guys wouldn't sit on your scroll (if you can have an infinite amount you could be clogging up your scroll). You could have a badge that's a Box of Rocks. And it's exactly as it is; all your pet rocks you have collected, in a box. And when you click on each rock, it gives you a page, just like your dragon pages are. It give you their given name, the biome you found it in, a description if it has one, and maybe, if we wanted to go into serious detail, the type of rock it is.

These guys would be a bit more common than leetle trees, but not where you see one every hour. We don't want rocks to be clogging up the cave.

More common ones could be just plain rocks, and then maybe if you're lucky, once in a blue moon you'll find a gem.

I don't know, it's a dumb kinda idea, I just thought it would be funny...

While the idea is cute, I think it opens the door too much to stuff that's not really "dragon" cave (especially since you've suggested there be MANY types of rocks instead of just one). I mean, we already have leetle trees and dinos as goofy things, we don't really need more.

It follows the argument of "why don't we have unicorns / cats / insert other pet animal thing here" on DC: because at the end it's dragon cave, not other stuff cave, and thus the focus should be on dragons instead of adding other things, no matter how cute they might be. So again, while I do love pet rocks, I'm going to say it would be detrimental to add them here.

While the idea is cute, I think it opens the door too much to stuff that's not really "dragon" cave (especially since you've suggested there be MANY types of rocks instead of just one). I mean, we already have leetle trees and dinos as goofy things, we don't really need more.

It follows the argument of "why don't we have unicorns / cats / insert other pet animal thing here" on DC: because at the end it's dragon cave, not other stuff cave, and thus the focus should be on dragons instead of adding other things, no matter how cute they might be. So again, while I do love pet rocks, I'm going to say it would be detrimental to add them here.

This

I'd like it, but more as a collection thing. You'd randomly find them around the site like Halloween stuff or Easter eggs, and like so, you'd have a page showing all your rocks. I don't, however, think every rock would need its own page. Just one huge page showing all your rocks. No naming or describing or anything, just little collectible tokens.

Eh, I was around for the Pet Rock craze in the mid 70's, think I've heard ALL the jokes. The guy who sold them, Gary Dahl, died about two weeks ago. I'm not sure we really need them in the Cave.

Have to agree with this, not going to add anything since it states most of my concerns about the suggestion as well.

Pet rocks aren't that much of a bad idea, but they shouldn't detract from the collection of dragons. Thus, they might work out as a BSA, maybe for some kind of pygmies (that might yet need to be invented). But they shouldn't appear as regular cave drops, nor do we need more collection events similar to the Easter Egg Hunts or Trick or Treating.

Now I feel extremely stupid.

Don't feel bad! It was a cute idea, even if I don't think it should happen xd.png

Although, there was a suggestion to have a hoarding feature be implemented (like a less drastic version of this year's Valentine event, where we give treasures to our dragons); if that was added, THEY could have a few varieties of pet rocks (or gems!), which would add the cute while keeping the focus on dragons.

Alternately, suggest TJ turn all eggs to "rocks" for April Fools next year? Probably best to make the suggestion in private, and I'm not sure if he accepts ideas for the day, but you never know!

Definitely see ADP's point about this opening the door to yet more "This is not Dragon Cave" stuff, but I want pet rocks to be in here now. laugh.gif Half of my scroll would be rocks.

Agree with this.

However, I'd support the idea as a silly little BSA. Send out a dragon to find random rocks/trinkets which you could then view on a separate page. Not each rock with it's own page, but like the Easter Basket where you get a separate page with all the little rocks collected.

Agreeing with the BSA supporters!

Or perhaps as a leetle tree sort of thing in that you can only have one? You can only have one but it changes from day to day or something?

Edited by cheese456

I like the idea of it having a BSA-type thing yeah. Especially gems or something. I don't know, but this idea seems kinda interesting.

I like the idea, but being able to collect an infinite amount would take away from the dragon part of DC a little bit, like the earlier commenters have said. I like how cheese456 said to have it change occasionally like a leetle tree, that would be cool. Maybe for halloween it could have a little costume or something.

I probably sound dumb, but I like the creativity in your idea, and I think you should continue developing it.

Edited by spookyjia

I'd like this if the rocks were egg-shaped rocks that would have a BSA called "Paint" that would let you select a dragon in your lair and the rock would then look like a frozen egg of that dragon as an egg.

I'd like this if the rocks were egg-shaped rocks that would have a BSA called "Paint" that would let you select a dragon in your lair and the rock would then look like a frozen egg of that dragon as an egg.

This is what I like too! To be able to match the egg up with one of the dragons I already have. :3

This... which I believe has been suggested before, so the idea is floating around somewhere.

But I totally agree that we don't need more 'joke' stuff in cave.. leetle trees, chickens, paper dragons, cheese dragons and brightly colored dinosaurs are more than enough.

To me it's not joke stuff, it's being able to collect "frozen eggs". It doesn't matter if the "frozen egg" is an actual eggshell or a rock that's perfectly painted to resemble the egg. If it's easier to convince TJ to let us collect painted rocks that look like eggs than an egg collecting method that kills eggs, let us paint rocks!

Yea, I should have read the first post rather than taking the feeling from the just starting discussion about painting the eggs, which reminded me of a previous thread. If this idea really is about collecting rocks, I agree that we don't need more non-dragon things to collect.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

To me it's not joke stuff, it's being able to collect "frozen eggs". It doesn't matter if the "frozen egg" is an actual eggshell or a rock that's perfectly painted to resemble the egg. If it's easier to convince TJ to let us collect painted rocks that look like eggs than an egg collecting method that kills eggs, let us paint rocks!

If this was made to be a way to 'collect eggs' I fully support it.

That's really cool! I like your idea also. What would the limit be on "eggs" for that feature?

That's really cool! I like your idea also. What would the limit be on "eggs" for that feature?

I don't think there should be a limit, assuming this gets accepted and implemented in the cave. A temporary limit, sure, just like we can only freeze x number of hatchies every two weeks, but an overall limit? No way.

I don't think there should be a limit, assuming this gets accepted and implemented in the cave. A temporary limit, sure, just like we can only freeze x number of hatchies every two weeks, but an overall limit? No way.

I meant like a cooldown time. Sorry, super unclear in that last comment.