AroaraAngelwolf

Red riding hood 1x1

"Yes, because we have out call. Three barks. If I don't hear them, I shoot. "It's a big wolf" .... so you're saying your a cat now?" She snarked as he stoke the fire. When he asked about the pain she seemed to deflate, looking tired and warn again.

"My ankle... hell, my body hurts. This is killing me, I have to move! Damned thing bit my drawing hand too. Doc said to elevate my foot. Ice is expensive.. but I really cold cloth would help the swelling..." She said flatly, still refusing to look at him.

[[Happy 4th, I guess |D I don't really celebrate holidays but, if you celebrate this one, I hope you enjoy it. ^^]]

Vilkas chuckled, taking the kettle off the open fire as steam rose from the spout and began to whistle. "Nah, I'm more of a teddy bear," he stated. Carefully pouring the water into a mug, Vilkas placed a tea bag into the cup and let it steep for a few minutes before carrying it over. "Careful, it's hot," he cautioned, handing the mug of tea over to Ruby. Once she took it from him, he returned to sitting beside her, propping his right elbow on the back of the couch again. "I'll see if I can get you any ice in the next day or two. In the meantime, I'll fill up a pail and bring it over so you can have a damp cloth," he remarked, smiling faintly.

[[Hmmm I'm not sure of where to take the interaction. He's not going to do much beyond sitting and chatting since Ruby's hurt.]]

((We go to see fireworks... but not tonight. Still it's independence day.. I have something to be thankful for living in the land of the free. Skip to when she's on her feet and gathering wood? Would be about a week... or.. he gets captured? That was my plan from the start...))

"Oh.. really? You look like one. " She said sarcastically. "That'll be helpful... but we need to see how we can get that thing? Oh.. um.... I won't turn into a man eating beast because it bit me..... would I?"

[[Well, broken bones take somewhere a few weeks to a few months. So, if she's collecting wood, it's done with one hand x3

How far forward were you thinking of Vilkas' capture?]]

((That's what I thought. Hmm... two weeks? With more killings the hunters put up big cages that snapped up and shut when triggered. He gets stuck in one of those.))

Edited by AroaraAngelwolf

[[That could work but, the first time, it's gonna be a regular cage because the hunters won't know the wolf is able to dissolve and just leave through the gaps. Unless someone's able to conjure binding magic, the only thing that could keep a Form Walker trapped is a solid box without any gaps.]]

((Ok. Fine with me. You start. ))

I have recently found out Vilkas is Lithuanian for wolf..... clever....

[[Aha yeah :3

Hmmm let's see if I come up with something decent. Had a bit of trouble thinking on what to post.]]

Two weeks. Two more weeks of tensions and fears gradually increasing. A few children here, a couple adults there, the beast was getting bolder. By now, the hunters were looking for something with dark fur and strange markings. This in itself spurred Vilkas to be more cautious while hunting but, he hoped to continue remaining unnoticed; the hunters didn't know it was a wolf-like creature yet. At least, not certainly.

When he spoke with the hunters after Ruby was attacked (or really, they interrogated him), he played the rattled and uncertain witness, recounting half-forgotten tidbits and apologizing for not being completely sure. Of course, they didn't blame him, excusing his forgetfulness to trama. Surely, his memory would return in full after sometime once his addled brain had time to recollect itself.

Though, that had played for a tricky role when the hunters eventually came back some days later to see if he remembered anything else. He "confessed" they he didn't get a good look at the beast, too busy with trying to fend it off before it could kill him or Ruby. However, he conceded that it was a four-legged creature, unlike any he'd seen before, and resembled something like a dog or wolf.

Of course, he described the strange, blue markings covering its black body and the odd tendrils that sprouted from its body. The hunters had given him odd looks but they didn't press any further after that. It was likely they could believe some vile creature from a nightmare was responsible. After all, the method of its attacks yielded an almost human-like intelligence, but a beastly mannerism.

Now, it was just a hope that no one but Ruby caught sight of his canine form or, if anyone did, that they recognized his markings to be different from the menace's.

Well, that was his hope until he foolishly stumbled into one of the traps set by the hunters. The scent of bait meat lured him in his hunger and, too confident in his innate abilities, he failed to recognize the trap before it ensnared him. With a howl of surprise, he was launched upward as the metal cage locked shut around him. The trap jarred to a stop, causing his body to jolt with inertia and slam back down against the metal wiring.

Likely covered in bruises, he heaved himself off his side and awkwardly attempted to stand. The grating was too small for him to slip through one of the holes but just big enough to hurt his paws as he attempted to keep them from falling through. Snarling more from frustration than aggression, he fell silent as his ears perked, listening to the approaching sounds.

Perfect.

A pair of hunters came into sight and they balked, likely at his surprising appearance. "Didn't the kid say the beast had blue markings? Not red?" the shortest of the pair questioned, looking to his friend for reassurance.

The other shook his head, frowning. "Either the kid got mixed up or we've got two beasts on a killing spree.

Vilkas wanted to snort and correct the man. Instead, he just snarled and dissolved into dust, evoking a shout of horror from the men. One of them spewed a string of curses while the other cried out about a demon. Vilkas didn't linger for longer, slipping through the side of the ineffective trap and quickly disappeared from their sight. Once clear, he became human and hurried for Ruby's home.

Ruby was out getting wood. Using her opposite hand and the dull throbbing that sometimes happened when she stepped wrong hindered her in her efforts but she pushed through.

She knew Vilkas would freak if he knew she was out in the woods again with a killer on the loose. The village has taken to hiding inside or venturing out in flocks. Unlike ruby.... this didn't hinder the blue walker. It attacked the ones who lives alone at night, and approached the stragglers of groups.

Vilkas helped her secure her home so the thing couldn't slip in under door cracks at night. She can tell he worried about her being alone. Like now she was careful, keeping close to her house so it was a easy run, the path kept clear of loose rocks and things that can trip her up. She headed to her door setting the small stack of branches by it and arranging them nicely.

As Vilkas hurried away from the hunters, he heard them stumbling through the forest in the direction the "demon" had fled, their baffled shouts carrying on the breeze. Eventually, Vilkas veered right, removing himself from the path of escape; the last thing he wanted was the men following the trail to Ruby's home. He remained human as little as possible, streaking by trees as a cloud of ash and dust.

But it was wearing him down faster.

Human once more, he existed the forest near the Eastern end of the town and focused his feet on traveling towards Ruby's. He approached as she was returning, a load of twigs in her good arm. He frowned, already knowing what she'd done. At least, by the time he got closer, his breathing was steady and his cheeks were no longer flushed, hiding any indication of his flight. "Didn't you promise me not to go off on your own," he chided gently.

He wasn't mad. Inwardly upset, sure, but he figured she was likely restless and couldn't blame her for that. Giving her a faint smile, he bent down and scooped the wood out of her hands, sorting the pieces out so she didn't have to struggle any longer. Vilkas parted his lips to speak again but shouts of "demon" echoed at the edge of the forest and entered the town.

Whirling, he watched the hunters run for the market square where most of the residents were located on a regular basis. He frowned again, rubbing the back of his neck. "Guess we should go see what the fuss is about, huh?" he asked, glancing at Ruby.

Ruby jumped when she herd him speak. She whirled around, flushing. "I got restless. Don't make me feel useless. I've been hurt and alone before I met you... but... " She looks out to the wood. Subconsciously rubbing her bitten arm on the shoulder. "I stayed close. And I made sure I couldn't trip on a quick getaway."

She let him help her arrange the branches, glad for the help. When he looked like he was going to speak again, shouts of "demon" came. Ruby went white, like the beast had bitten her again. They'll only say that if they saw the wolf turn to dust..... like the black Smith did.

She was already half jogging half limping to the commotion without a word to Vilkas. Her thoughts raced, worry written all over her face.What if they saw Vilkas and not the other wolf?

Ruby didn't answer his question verbally, choosing to hurry towards the noise instead. Vilkas followed her, watching others gather in the square. The hunters were in the center of the crowd, their fellows at their sides as they tried to get the whole story from the pair. "I'm telling you! We caught the beast! At least, we almost did. But it turned into powder and slipped away! The wolf is a demon! What's worse, there's two of them!"

Murmurs and gasps rippled through the gathered folk and Vilkas swallowed; no way he'd get away from Ruby's irritation now. As people began to whisper amongst themselves, the short hunter lifted his voice, calling for silence. "There's skepticism! I hear it! But we speak truth! We hunted for a beast with strange blue markings but the one we almost caught had red markings! Now, either the lad wi-""

"Did you say "red markings"!" The interruption came from the blacksmith, his voice booming and catching everyone's attention. "I knew I hadn't lost my bloody mind! I've seen the red and black demon before! In my forge some months past!"

"So there are two monsters then?" a woman shrieked, fear in her eyes as she clutched her small daughter close. "What are we going to do? You hunters couldn't catch one! What sort of trap can hold something that turns into dust?" Before the hunters could calm the situation, more people started shouting in fear.

A gunshot rang through the air, eliciting an abrupt silence. The head hunter lowered his arm, aiming the barrel of his gun at the ground. "Now, listen here. We'll make new traps, ones without gaps for the beast to escape through. We'll catch the creature and put it down, send it back to the Devil where it belongs! But, we'll need supplies. Any planks of wood or metal that can be spared will be appreciated."

Red........ red.... markings.... She whirled around and pinned Vilkas with a look of pain, worry, fear, and anger. " Red... marks!" She whispers to him, sounding almost like a growl. She grabbed his shirt and yanked him away from the crowd, away from prying ears. "What did I tell you! They aren't like me, they will kill you! Now what would you do?!" She whispers to him.

All the sudden, it's like something switched off. She leaned back and her eyes went blank. "Why do I try, it isn't like you listen to my warnings anyway." She said flatly and walked away to her house.

Uh-oh. He was in trouble now.

As Ruby began to hiss and drag him away, Vilkas stumbled after her. He smiled sheepishly and ran fingers through his hair. Before he could defend himself, her attitude changed and she walked away after a final comment. Confused, he frowned and furrowed his brow, watching her leave for a moment before someone grabbed his shoulder. "Having some lady issues?"

Turning, he was met by one of the hunters, the man's curious smile showing off slightly crooked teeth. His brown hair looked like maple or chestnut in the sunlight, streaks of copper-red highlighting the brown strands randomly. "I guess? Ruby's just worried, that's all," Vilkas replied. The hunter nodded, clapping the boy on the back.

"Mind if we chat for awhile?" the man asked.

Vilkas shrugged, rubbing the back of his neck. "Sure. About the creature?" The man nodded slowly, taking a few steps away as he motioned for the tall boy to follow. "I'm sorry, I don't remember your name," the Form Walker stated, obeying the hunter's request.

"Jordon. It was Lance and Trevor who came back with the news," Jordon replied, pointing at the two men.

"Right," Vilkas stated. He hadn't remembered their names exactly; but he'd been close. They left the crowd behind, walking in the opposite direction as Ruby. For awhile, Jordon was silent, the pair traveling through the town or along its edge.

Finally, "Do you fancy Miss Ruby?"

Vilkas blinked, caught off guard by the question. "Uh... Are you asking on behalf of Tomas? Because, that guy's an idiot and clearly won't take 'no' for an answer from Ruby," he stated.

The hunter nodded once. "I understand but, no, I'm not asking for the blacksmith's son. I'm merely curious. You two spend a lot of time together and it's clear she likes you." Jordon smirked at Vilkas, causing the Form Walker to avert his gaze nervously and rub at his cheek. A chuckle escaped from the man's lips. "It's alright. I won't tell her. You're in your twenties now, right?"

"Almost."

"Ah, well, you're still in your prime. Though, it's strange; you don't really mingle with many others. Just Ruby." Jordon paused, turning to face Vilkas. "You certainly don't hang out with other boys your age."

The boy shrugged, glancing around. At some point, they had looped around the town and Ruby's house was visible in the near distance. "Well, other boys are either Tomas's goons or just not the type of people I like," Vilkas remarked. "What's this got anything to do with what's happening?" he questioned, hackles starting to raise out of caution.

Jordon's expression hardened slightly. "There's something off about you, boy. Something you're hiding...." Vilkas paled, eyes widening faintly. The hunter smirked, placing a firm hand on his shoulder. "Tell me, do you know who the beast is? If it can turn into dust, surely, it can assume human shape? It's a demon after all and demons love to hide under our noses within the skin of a human."

The hunter's grip tightened slightly.

Vilkas shook his head, swatting away the man's hand. "No. I don't. I want to go check in on Ruby now." Before the hunter could say anything else, the Form Walker turned on his heal and quickly strode away, feeling Jordon's eyes bore into his back as he put distance between them.

Soon enough, he approached Ruby's house looked about before knocking on her door. "Ruby? I know you're mad at me but, we need to talk."

[[sorry |D Got a little carried away.]]

Ruby opened the door looking at her feet. "What is it Vilkas?" She asked still in the flat tone... with a tinge of hurt in it. She turned and walked inside keeping the door open so he'd let himself inside if he wished.

She had made a cup of tea, and looked like she was reading; a book lay open on the couch arm. Duke though welcomed him happily, the mastiff nearly knocking him over by leaning on his legs and nosing his hand with happy huffs, tail threatening to knock over a book stack by the door.

((It's alright. It'll be interesting if they question ruby like that. She is like Vilkas, in her prime and doesn't hang out with the ladies.. it can be suspicious if there's two monsters and two people that act the same...))

Stepping inside, Vilkas rubbed at his arm absently, frowning as he watched Ruby walk away. Duke greeted him excitedly, almost knocking him over in the process. After taking the moment to scratch Duke's neck, he gently pushed the large dog off of him and followed Ruby. "Hey, don't be so glum. I listen to you but, like you, I get restless. Besides, if I don't hunt when I need to, I tend to get rusty," he started, smiling to lighten the mood.

A few heartbeats passed and his expression sobered. "I've been trying to track it, to find it, but I keep losing its trail. That's why I got caught today; I was following its tracks." Running his fingers through his crimson hair, he studied Ruby with his amber gaze, an apology on his tongue. "Something's wrong with it. Form Walkers don't attack humans or other creatures senselessly, only when our lives are threatened. We have as much a sense of humanity as the next person so it's got me worried that this one is killing people."

He paused, rubbing the back of his head, uncertain. "The only reason I can think of that happening is that this one's lost touch...." Vilkas swallowed, frowning deeply. "We have a human form for a reason, human-like intelligence and morality. I've never seen it before but, we all know what happens, even if it's so rare. Without our humanity, we are just demons. But, our immortal and earthly mothers didn't want that for us. So, we have a beastly form and a human form. We utilize both out of desire and necessity."

"It's simple, like all killers. They like the thrill of hunting a larger prey. Killing something that is equally intelligent like them, and can put up a fight. Animals hunt to eat, even wolf attacks, the carcass is eaten. This walker just mutilates for the heck of it. Sometimes it eats, mostly it doesn't. It went down the path of every serial killer, back to instincts with human like intelligence. There is no hope for it. " She waves to the book, closing it with a flick of her fingers, nearly toppling it to the floor. It was a biography of five of the most ruthless killers of the time. Some light reading before bed.

"Sometimes you need to give up on things. Face it, this walker is just a animal now. I tried to reason with it and look where that got me." She said, her back to him as she walked to her art room

Vilkas narrowed his eyes a fraction at Ruby's seemingly nonchalant response. "No. It's not "like all killers", even when it seems to have lost its humanity. If it liked the "thrill", then it would have claimed many more victims by now. It's sick and I want to know with what. I don't believe any Form Walker would give up its humanity willingly," he stated. Shaking his head, he sighed faintly and raked his fingers through his hair. "Just because you've read something in a book doesn't mean you're suddenly an expert...."

He was distressed, expression etched with confusion and worry. "I just want a proper chance with it, to find out what's going on in its head. I haven't encountered another Walker in a long time. You understand?" he questioned, partially. Rubbing a cheek, Vilkas followed Ruby into her art room. As he usually did, he looked about and examined the pieces decorating her room. Most were completed, a few others were waiting completion.

Sitting down where it was safe, he pursed his lips. "Tomas hasn't bothered you lately, has he?" he inquired, tilting his head and peering at her with his amber gaze.

"No he hasn't. I don't know about your kind but I do know canine behavior, I grew up breeding and raising dogs, I had to pick up something. Although it's hazy, and I was in pain... when you came to my rescue and pinned it it seemed surprised as you where. Then it pushed you off and bit me. Maybe you would be able to get through to it. Actually........." She tilted her head and looked at him with her piercing green eyes.

"We had a dog when I was really young. It was abused by its previous owners, one time I got to close and went to pet it, and accidentally stepped on its paw. It bit my leg in defense. You're right, if it liked the thrill, it would have kept killing. It seems like to attacks anything that gets close. Animals it ate I've seen the carcasses.... humans..... I think something happened that made him not trust any human.. just like that dog. But..... like the dog... if it keeps biting the hand that feeds it.... it.... would have to be put down." She said quietly, rubbing her right calf as if remembering the bite.

Most of the works on easels where unfinished, some though where really close to being completed. She covers the framed painting of his wolf form, carefully with his human form. No one will see it then, and she had all of the sketches in the chest in her loft bedroom, locked up and only she knew where the key was.

((FYI: Beast is a npc, you can play it too...))

Well, at least Tomas wasn't pestering her lately. Vilkas took some solace in that news. Shaking his head, he rubbed the back of his neck and sighed again. "You'll let me know whenever Tomas bothers you, right?" he asked her, tilting his head faintly. A frown touched his lips again, turning the corners down. He wasn't pointedly avoiding the rest of her response; he just didn't know if he should make some sort of reply or not. That being said, he wasn't too sure of her statement. What she said held some truth... for an abused dog.

Form Walkers weren't domestic pets and this one didn't appear abused. Well, speculation could only get him so far. He would have to encounter the creature again to learn anything significant about it. The challenge would be to avoid getting caught or dragging Ruby into the exchange with him in the process.

[[i'm running out of ideas for this interaction. Feel free to throw anything in or switch to another one. |D]]

"I will.." the window rattled as a strong gust of wind blew and she jumped dashing behind him. "Stay here tonight please... I hate to admit this but.. I'm terrified of that thing coming in here to kill me at night. It's a fight just to get to sleep! I'll feel safer with you here.... please..." She hugged him from behind with one arm, trembling like a leaf in a storm. Being attacked got her rattled pretty good.

Vilkas stiffened out of reflex when Ruby suddenly wrapped an arm around him, hiding in fear at the sound of a rattling window from the wind. Blinking, he turned his head to glance at her. "Alright," he replied softly, voice low. He didn't laugh or sneer at her fear; she had every right to be scared. The Walker felt her body tremble and moved his hand to rest on hers. "Calm down, Red. No use in frightening yourself further," he soothed.

Shifting carefully, he turned his body so he faced her more comfortably, wrapping his arms about her comfortingly. "It won't get you. I promise," he murmured, faintly ruffling her hair in an attempt to take her mind away from the creature. "Want me to make you some dinner? Or have you already eaten?"