AroaraAngelwolf

Red riding hood 1x1

A few weeks later, the wolf had gone silent. No more killings happened still the air was filled with danger. Nearly everyone had a weapon on them, nobody relaxed.

Ruby's arm could move, but she couldn't lift anything heavy or do activities for long without resting it. She started up painting again, knocking off the easy projects first. Gardening was the hardest. Today she was out weeding, her arm in the sling to rest it, trying to weed plants at the edge of her garden. She was already tired from cleaning her home, and plucked the most recent weeds around her tomatoes. She was jumpy, reaching for her gun every time the wind rustled through the grass, or Dukes shadow crosses her.

Despite this, she was exhausted. Without Vilkas staying at her home, she was afraid to sleep. Nightmares plagued her since their fight. She didn't sleep for the last two days, one because of a rain storm kept her up, jumping at anything that moved outside her windows, and the second from nightmares. Her nightmares frightened her greatly, the blue eyes turning to that blazing yellow and the marks to a bright red as the wolf that attacked her replayed in her dreams each time more vivid then the last, each time the blue wolf becoming her beautiful wolf, each time Vilkas got closer to her neck.

In the hot sun, slightly hidden by the shade, she fought to stay awake, head bobbing as she struggled.

She still mulled over him saying she shouldn't love him, he isn't human. The way she saw it was this: he has a heart, he bleeds like she does. He can have emotions (although a little more controlled) like she does. In the Greek and even Christian creation of man stories-and in some others she found- humans where made out of earth and had life breathed into them. Multiple myths and stories held on to the same thing; man was made from earth just like he was. Vilkas was just more... in tune with the soil then men where.

To her, she didn't see a demon, or a werewolf. She saw a form walker, who was handsome as a wolf as he was a human. He was not very different from her. But recently, she was afraid. If he was still angry at her would he attack her if she got too close? Vilkas never harmed her, but he said his kind where normally benevolent, but this blue rogue clearly didn't fit the norm. Questions that had no answers buzzed around her mind.

Her thoughts were distracted, so her eyes took a chance and slipped closed. Thoughts quickly manifested themselves into pictures and vivid imagery, making her believe she never fell asleep as she began to dream, hunched over her planter box.

Edited by AroaraAngelwolf

Vilkas was watching her, like he frequently did despite not approaching her for the past few weeks. He stayed out of sight though, out of her detection. He was still angry with her for the accusations she had made of him. However, it was less anger so much as it was uncertainty that kept him at bay now. The male hadn't stuck around long enough to find out what Ruby's reaction would have been. At first, he hadn't cared. Now, he was worried that he might have made things worse.

In all honesty, he hadn't meant to kiss her.

Resting on the roof, he frowned as Ruby began to fall asleep on her feet, swaying over a planter box she'd been work on. Sighing, he carefully climbed down and walked towards her. Gently, he placed a hand on her shoulder. "Wake up. You're about to turn the soil into your pillow," he stated flatly.

Ruby did indeed wake, but with a strangled cry and lurched back landing on her rump whimpering. Her breath ragged, hands at her neck as she looked at her red cloak beneath her, white faced with fear. Fear turned to disgust as she tore off the cloak after jumping up and threw it way from her as far as she could. She was trembling horribly, and hugged her hands under her arms to get them to stop. In her dream, it felt like minutes passed, long enough for purely Vilkas this time to attack her. But in reality only seconds had passed.

"....... I.... I'm sorry..." she choked out. She turned around and faced him, emerald eyes avoiding his chin to her chest like she was protecting her neck. "F-for saying those horrendous things. Just make these nightmares go away!" She sank to her knees curling up and holding her dark wavy locks in her hands. "Every time it's the wolf. Every time those eyes go yellow, the marks red... I don't see fear in them, no mercy, no reason. Anger, pure hot firey rage is all I see. I understand why. Why you want to help the Blue one. " she sniffles. "Every time I have an opportunity, the gun in my hand, I never miss a shot like that. Every time I have a chance of shooting you and living but I can't... I can't, I can't... I can't do it. If you became that wolf, to see you in such a bloody state would break my heart to bits!"

She whimpers again, her voice growing very quiet. "I miss, hit the tree, the ground, hit your ear, graze your flank to make you go but you don't. Then you leap. Leap like the Blue did, and you....... you don't miss.... you never miss..... " her hands on her throat again rubbing it. "You never miss." She repeated in a whisper.

Vilkas only watched her as Ruby spewed on about her nightmares and curl into a ball on the ground. Frowning, he didn't approach her, didn't touch her. "They're only nightmares," he stated flatly, his gaze stoic. "They're born from fears but you know these specific fears have no ground. I won't lose my humanity and start hunting humans. Why? Because I still use my human guise and losing my humanity is a process that would require decades," the male informed.

Softening, he crouched down in front of her and hooked her chin with an index finger. "I can't make the nightmares go away on a whim, Red. They're your own fears that you have to conquer. This creature is ruling your mind because you're letting it rule. I'm not telling you to go out and fight this thing but you need to believe that it won't hurt you again. I won't let it. I might be angry with you but I'm not so heartless as to leave you defenseless."

"It is your anger I fear Vilkas....among other things. I can't stand it. But I also know that sorry can't make up for those hurtful things I've said. They are only nightmares, but the pain I feel is real, the fear is there. I know you won't hurt me, but if you can see your eyes when you're mad, they look so wild and feral it's hard not flinch. I'm not like you. Sometimes I wish I was though. You seem to have control over your emotions then us humans. " She said quietly, still avoiding looking at him. "It's harder for a mortal to to face the fear of death, of being helpless, being at the mercy of another then someone who has lived a long time."

Vilkas continued to frown, inhaling slowly. Finally, "You think I don't fear death? I might live a long time but only if I continue to consume the sustenance that I need. Imagine, if I was born to a much younger world before humans knew what fire and forging was... I'd be dead within the year." Shaking his head, he stood and rolled his shoulders. "No. I fear death just as much as any human does. I fear being hunted down like prey." Rubbing the back of his neck, the Form Walker lowered his hand in offer to help Ruby to her feet. "Fears are fears, yes. But you can't let them rule you. Otherwise, you end up going nowhere."

She got up. "I didn't say you don't fear death. You hide your fears well, you control them, they don't rule you. One would be foolish not to fear the end at some point of their lives. This conversation is going nowhere... it's time I take my leave. " She abandoned her cloak as she headed inside. "In a fortnight, a group of people are heading to the larger town where it's safer. I'll be among them. There will be no need for you to stay around here then. No distractions. I'll leave the forge uncovered and wood beside it for you. You can then focus on bringing the wolf back to humanity before it is killed. Good luck, and good bye." She said as she closed the door and locked it.

((I have no idea, I would like to see the coaxing, but it's up to you. She did leave her signature red cloak on the grass. ))

He'd heard such whispers, about people relocating to the next town for safety. Vilkas saw it as a wise thing to do, though they probably should have done it sooner. After all, a fortnight was a couple weeks away. Anything could happen in fourteen days. The male watched Ruby get up and lock herself within her home, shutting the door and preventing him entry. A sigh escaped his lips as his gaze raked across the yard, stopping on her forgotten cloak. Stepping towards it to gather it up, he walked to the door and hesitated.

Ruby was upset, sleep deprived, and terrified. But he couldn't really comfort her. Partly because she didn't seem keen on letting him and partly because he didn't want to. Vilkas still wondered, at the back of his mind, if he should bother with her anymore. She believed he was toying with her before, she might still believe that now despite her apology. Should he bother trying to correct that misguided belief?

Frowning, he shook his head and hung the cloak on the handle. Gently, he knocked on the old wood before turning on his heel and walking away. Within moments, he dissipated into ash and dust, leaving Ruby's property. She would be gone and safe in the next couple of weeks; that was good enough.

He wouldn't waste anymore energy or time on her. Why should he? She feared him, just as any human feared a demon. The thought soured his mood but he saw the reality of things.

((Time skip to next interaction?))

Ruby only packed the essential things she needed. She covered his painting with her cloak packed a few books and clothes. She donned a new color, one that didn't suit her very well, black. The color or mourning and death. Her clothes where darker, leaving her seeming whitewashed, like a sun bleached China doll. Her eyes hollow, haunted. Her dreams slowly had faded away till they were first person attacking and killing others, dreams so real she tasted the blood in her mouth although she wasn't bleeding at all.

She stood with a group of people, her bag loaded in a cart. The stronger men and marksmen would stay to protect the town and check traps. She stood with duke looking out at the trees deep in thought.

He sighed. Sitting on a rooftop, out of sight, Vilkas' keen, amber gaze watched the throng of townspeople. They were setting out to leave. All the better for their safety. Hunters and other strong fighters were remaining behind as planned to remove the problem that threatened the town. Ruby was among them, dressed in black garb. Exhaustion was clear on her face but her expression was thoughtful, gaze lost to the forest at the edge of the town.

People were loading into the carriages and wagons, each one starting its departure once full. His window of opportunity was steadily growing smaller and smaller. Finally, when Ruby was one of the few remaining to head out, Vilkas disappeared from the roof to reappear behind the building, hurrying towards where the last cart stood waiting. "Red, wait!" he called.

Ruby looked over at him. "What?" She moved half way to him. Her voice and eyes seemed dissent. "I am leaving soon Vilkas. Please don't stop me. Is there something you want to tell me?" After a moment's hesitation she continued to him after looking back at the progress and duke who sat in the back of the last wagon with her things.

[[No, I am. I just get other ideas in my head. Plus I've been trying to think up a good post for this. I'm planning to get a post made tomorrow afternoon.]]

"I-I know," he started, halting before her and rubbing the back of his neck. "I'm glad you're going, you'll be safe. I just wanted to let you know that I intend to follow. After a week here, I'll follow your tracks and meet up with you again," Vilkas informed. "Whether or not I was successful." Shifting his weight between his feet with uncertainty, he watched Ruby as she glanced back at Duke and the wagon. When she turned her gaze back towards him, he quickly kissed her cheek and then pulled back. "Please stay safe. I'll see you in little over a week," he repeated, gently nudging her towards the wagon and Duke so she didn't get left behind.

Ruby took a step back when he kissed her cheek and stumbled even more when he bumped her back. She frowned at him curiously before spinning on her heel and deftly jumping into the cart. It lurched and left the town.

The ride to the city was bumpy and duke had to be in the main bar while ruby bunked with a young woman who was called Paula. The woman was a tavern worker but the rooms where full and some had to be left open for other travelers. Ruby had drew the short straw on that.

((Doing a gradual time skip)

She slept on the floor sometimes startling the woman when she woke. During the days she spent selling her drawings although her personal sketches turned darker. Her dreams more realistic. At one point she broke the mirror at night when she woke from a particular disturbing dream and looking up she saw yellow gold eyes white teeth and dark fuzz around a image that wasn't her own. The mirror broke when she jumped.

Ruby was a decent roomie though. She kept her part clean, bought a replacement mirror from her pocket money and helped with the laundry.

One night though it was late the sky was partly cloudy and the moon was dark. Restless ruby slipped out the window only in her night clothes boots and black cloak, and out of town to the wood that stopped on the edge. During the week, she felt better in the woods, less caged, more free and wild. So she walked a path by only starlight taking deep breaths of the cool air mist forming her breath adding to the due that clinged to the air. The chill didn't bother her, she felt like she was running a fever.

It was eerily quiet. She stopped in a clearing when pain raced up her arm, the one that was bit and raced down her back through her body. She collapsed without a word as she was out cold from the pain.

When she woke, she went to rub her head and froze. That wasn't a hand. She leaped up stumbled and fell snorting and whimpering as she took in her huge furry paws. The world in black and white at night, she can see and smell and hear the slightest whisper in the trees, the mouse scampering under the leaves. It was all too strange. She was dreaming, she had to be.

As she studied her body she saw it wasn't the old bite that caused it for she was well... if one can become a normal wolf, then she was one. A dark brown fluffy beast although large she had no whip like tail or markings traditional of the form walker. Although, she can try and use purple paint to think that yellow eyed sand man.... her teeth shone as she huffed a laugh. She came up with the best ideas when dreaming.

[[i can't figure it out; exactly how much time passed with your time skip? I didn't want to post until I knew how long it's been.]]

With the vast majority of the town shuffled off to the next, the hunters could utilize more bold methods. Traps were refashioned to prevent the "demon" from escaping and the men erred on the safe side, assuming there might be two monstrous creatures to get rid of. Any creature not hunted for was released from the traps unless needed for food, each trap being checked two or three times a day.

For a handful of days, nothing turned up.

Vilkas took advantage of the lack of people and the hunters' poor luck. When he could, he remained in his non-human form, trying to track down the familiar scent that only a Form Walker could pick out. The first day, he couldn't find the trail. The second day resulted in the same. On the third day, he managed to locate a stale whiff.

He followed it away from the town, discovering where the creature had formerly rested in an old den. Still, the scent was stale; it had moved elsewhere. Vilkas' long tail flicked with impatience, amber gaze roaming his immediate surroundings. A low growl of annoyance escaped his muzzle but he quickly silenced himself. He had to press on. He had to be successful.

The hunters moved further into the forest each day, Vilkas staying well ahead of them. He left as few tracks as possible, weaving along the forest floor as a cloud of dust almost half of the time that he moved. On day five, he found a fresh trail.

Hurrying, he followed it.

The sun was almost set when he found the creature, finishing what remained of a small kill. Vilkas' form melted and reshaped itself as a human. Creeping forward, it took only moments for the other Walker to register his presence and began to growl threateningly. "Easy now... I'm a friend, not a hunter," he cooed, slowly crouching.

Gradually extending an arm forward, Vilkas paused, waiting for it to get his scent. The black and blue creature stopped growling but its teeth remained visible, its eyes wary. "That's it. You know me," Vilkas continued, moving a step closer.

The Form Walker growled again, abruptly lunging at him. Fire shot up his arm as the canine's mouth clamped down on his hand and wrist, teeth tearing into flesh. Vilkas shouted in surprise and pain, yanked backwards as the Walker pulled him onto the forest floor. Not wanting it to go for his throat, the young man twisted and grabbed the beast's muzzle with his free hand, growling in turn.

Both beings disintegrated, solidifying as two separate wolves facing off. Circling each other, Vilkas limped, favoring his injured limb. The creature lunged at him again, mouth snapping. The two collided and Vilkas tried getting above the other. Thinking and acting like a human was his advantage but it didn't guarantee anything.

A gun shot reverberated nearby, causing both to jump apart. The hunters were running towards them, a couple stopped to aim their guns. Quickly, Vilkas looked back at the other Walker, seeing its form disappear behind a tree, fleeing. The ground at his feet exploded as the next shot missed him, spurring Vilkas into motion.

"Quick! Before it gets away!"

Surging in a direction away from the hunters, Vilkas' paws scrambled for traction. He couldn't shift, not in a split second anymore. He was injured, weak, and hadn't replenished his body as he should have.

He made it ten feet before the net fell on his head, the side pulled back to sweep his paws out from beneath him. Hitting the ground on his flank, he struggled against the ropes. "Don't kill it yet. We'll use it to lure the other," one of the men remarked.

"But, they were scrapping with each other when we found them. How do you know the other will come back for this one?"

"It's worth a shot, ain't it? If it don't work in the next week, we'll just shoot this one dead and move on for the next. At least we know for sure that there are two."

It was the next morning ruby had discovered her transformation wasn't a dream. She had managed a run after several failed attempts and her body ached like she ran miles with all her limbs and her hearing gave her headaches, she could pick up smells she couldn't before too. She had taken some of her father's affects, including a journal she never touched until know. She stole away moment to read it and although only a couple pages into it, she had an idea who... well what she was and it was from his side.

It was the next morning after the evening of Vilkas' capture they herd word one of the beasts was captured. When questioned the messenger said he didn't know but the hunters said it was hurt from the other and the other got away. The man was weary, having rode hard all night and retired to a bedroom in the inn.

At this news ice flowed through her vains. Vilkas was captured and going to be killed, she couldn't shake the feeling it was her wolf in a cold cage and not the one who attacked her. The change she couldn't control yet and happened at night for all she knew. If she ran fast enough in that shape... By midmorning, she hatched a plan and set it into action. Asking a farmer to take her things and watch her dog, she told him she wanted to see these creatures killed, given she (and Vilkas) where the only survivor of an attack, the farmer bought her story and had her things in his cart and took care of duke.

A normal wolf can keep pace with a fast horse, if not, it can outlast one in endurance. While the fast horses the messenger rode took all night to run to the city, Ruby calculated it would take her around the same time to reach the town. Once there around dawn she'll change back human two hours before dawn. She'd dress and slip to the town to attempt to free Vilkas if possible.

That night she did just that. Shifting was painful but clutching her black cloak in her jaws she ran as fast as she could, only tripping over her paws twice (and skidding or flipping on her back after a particularly nasty nose dive) along the roadside to avoid any traps. She managed to slip to her home and for what little of the of the night she had left she slept in a heap, weary and needing her strength for tomorrow.

Once human in the morning she dressed in black and slipped to the town square keeping in the shadows to avoid being spotted.

((Skipped two days, let me know if this is ok))

[[Mostly? I'm just confused. It took two days for a series of carts/wagons to reach the next town. How does a horse make it in half a day? They aren't that fast, even when full-on galloping. Neither could a wolf.

So, it's just a little impossible for a message to reach the town about Vilkas' capture in the same day. (Which, he was caught around sunset, not the morning/afternoon.)

Plus, why would the hunters delay killing the beasts once they caught the second one? It's much simpler to kill them immediately. I was more hoping it would take a few days at least before the other walker was caught, too.]]