_Sin_

ANSWERED:Earning Special sprites via Activity

@Syphoneira: What if points could only be gained for giving UVs? Then people who DID try to bomb things wouldn't be able to laugh that they're getting free points from it, while people who do sincerely use it would benefit hatcheries, as you said *w*

That would be super, if it worked!

I have no idea about any of this stuff, lol, although from what Socky says, I gather people with dynamic IPs could miss out some? much? most? credit earned by this?

Edit: and if so, would it be possible to identify Viewbombers through this?

Edited by Syphoneira

If there was something like "UV point given by scroll name" (if the user has their scroll name visible), it might be possible.

That would be super, if it worked!

I have no idea about any of this stuff, lol, although from what Socky says, I gather people with dynamic IPs could miss out some? much? most? credit earned by this?

I'm not quite sure how dynamic works, but when the Encyclopedia was out I do recall dynamic/static IP adresses and how Dynamic (IIRC) could view the same breed of hatchling(s) in another 24 hours and still have that same hatchling count towards their Encyclopedia count. Those with Static IP addresses could not do that as no matter what they did it would still count as 1 in 7 days, but for Dynamic IPs it would count as 7 in 7 days. I also was told on the Encyclopedia thread that I could reset my router and have the same hatchling count again towards the Encyclopedia. It worked for them, but didn't for me xd.png If UVs work a bit like how the Encyclopedia registers observations then I could leave my laptop on all day on EATW while I'm at school and even at school during certain periods I could use the school computers and just let it go ham on some hatcheries as well. So I'm gaining from two different IPs so I do think gaining from viewing in any form needs to have a cap as well.... laugh.gif

If there was something like "UV point given by scroll name" (if the user has their scroll name visible), it might be possible.

Would it be feasible to do this through AP-linked fansites?

As in, people sign into the fansites when putting eggs in, so if they signed in like that and the IP they're using registers that they've running a Viewer so that points could be accumulated by hours of running Viewers or something along these lines?

Would it be feasible to do this through AP-linked fansites?

As in, people sign into the fansites when putting eggs in, so if they signed in like that and the IP they're using registers that they've running a Viewer so that points could be accumulated by hours of running Viewers or something along these lines?

I'm not exactly sure, but I do know that if I were to open up a dragon page on EATW or AOND, I can still do everything as logged in until I log myself out. I'm sure that people could feasibly click on a dragon and add it somewhere and then log back out to let the viewer or whatever they use do its thing, but if they wanted to go about their business on DC, it would probably register clicks from users when they logged back in--especially since the site lets people pick up teleport actions (and probably others, but I only know of teleport) from where they left off if they weren't actively signed in in the first place. I can easily see people not logging out and leaving whatever dragon they wanted to gain views open in another window while doing whatever else on DC.

Edited by Jazeki

This and the suggested store are getting more and more complicated. I think this thread is the best one to suggest...

A raffle ! (Yes yes I hate them, BUT....)

What if you get points for your activity - determined however it is determined but not TOO many - and each week, everyone who has x points got a scroll message - "you can have a raffle ticket this week - yes/no."

And clicking yes gets you an entry into that raffle - with not too many prizes, as it happens so often. The egg will appear on your scroll on x day (we would know which day of the week to expect it - as in the weekly raffle is always drawn on Monday at 8pm cave time; make sure you have a free slot for 24 hours from that time) unless you are locked - in which case - you just lose it.

Not another raffle, please no! I positively hate anything based on luck.

Not another raffle, please no! I positively hate anything based on luck.

I just figure it is all getting too complicated....

This and the suggested store are getting more and more complicated. I think this thread is the best one to suggest...

A raffle ! (Yes yes I hate them, BUT....)

What if you get points for your activity - determined however it is determined but not TOO many - and each week, everyone who has x points got a scroll message - "you can have a raffle ticket this week - yes/no."

And clicking yes gets you an entry into that raffle - with not too many prizes, as it happens so often. The egg will appear on your scroll on x day (we would know which day of the week to expect it - as in the weekly raffle is always drawn on Monday at 8pm cave time; make sure you have a free slot for 24 hours from that time) unless you are locked - in which case - you just lose it.

I'd be afraid it wouldn't help, and if people were allowed to win multiple times there would only be more resentment. To keep that from happening you'd have to somehow complicate a raffle suggestion too.

Oh lord no raffle plz no.

I don't think it'll be that complex once things are hammered out; just have certain activities that earn you points, and then have a store where you can cash in said points. A few things that are being considered are what activities count, how much they're worth, and if certain prizes can be bought without limit, but once all those decisions are made, it should be easy enough to just have a section in the on-site help section breaking down how things work.

Edit: Also I don't think fansites should need to verify anything. The site already recognizes when we give UVs, as viewing a certain dragon only counts once for the encyclopedia per day. So we shouldn't need off site measures to make it work.

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

Sorry, Jazeki, I come here confused and inadvertently spread it around!

I'd started to respond to one thing and thought I'd better get down a question about another thing before I forgot, being grossly over-tired in the wee earlies, and then forgot to add in the initial response!

Staying up all night, every night, with your dragons haz effects...

However, you and angelicdragonpuppy have actually answered both of my questions, however garbled, laugh.gif and thank-you both!

What I had managed to put down before, I think, wandering off for a drink and cleverly thinking that I'd finished my post on my return, (really don't recall, but have done that before, lol) pertained to the feasibility of encouraging fansite Viewing by registering Viewing time and giving points on some sort of an hourly basis, (perhaps 1 point for every 2 hours of passively running a fansite, applying to all API-linked fansites, so that running 2 for an hour or 3 for 45 minutes or whatever would give a point?) *thereby giving a means of gaining points to those who have limited scroll goals and aren't much into games*.

So perhaps time/a certain number of U Views logged into fansite Viewers could be used?

I've seen Clicking suggested as a means of accumulating points, but Unique Views are terribly low, due to too few people giving Views back to the fansites they use and the same people running Viewers all day, and this is slowing growing stages.

Also, running Viewers helps whole pages of dragons on a rotating basis, where the benefits of Clicking (apart from however many growing dragons visible on a page/scroll may incidentally receive U Views) are isolated to however many dragons are Clicked and has often been applied to individual scrolls, whereas some people don't like Clicks on their dragons and try to avoid them.

But if we get enough people forming a habit of regularly running fansite Viewers while cruising the forums or whatever, good, balanced numbers will allow for the return of prompt cracking, hatching, gendering and growing up of the dragons we have in the fansites.

Bonus! biggrin.gif

As far as the procedure goes, I'd personally really, really hope for the mana/magical summoning thing, in keeping with the magical world, but I'd MUCH rather see a raffle than a cold-blooded transaction in a store, or bidding on eggs with a 20% penalty on low bidders, as TJ had tentatively suggested in another thread, regarding an idea which had just popped into mind and which he had not yet really considered. (No idea yet how that's doing...)

I've been hoping that the increase in CB Prizes would help reduce the stock-market aspect taking over the game, but the more we set our dragons in terms of prices and 'monetary' value, the more our dragons turn into mere investments, effectively losing the best part of DC, from my perspective, anyway.

A lot of us were sucked in by appeals to 'save baby dragons', lol; there's an emotional aspect to DC dragons which has drawn and kept many of us here, with a sometimes ridiculous degree of attachment to our dragons. rolleyes.gif

But if they're just objects to be used to accumulate other, 'better' (more expensive/unaffordable) things we may not be able to obtain, with our leisure time spent in a have vs have-not-type financially based world, then our unique DC becomes just another non-escapist game of the common sort which we never bothered to join. sad.gif

My apologies, real life took over. But this weekend things should be (hopefully) back to normal and I will catch up and update the OP with your suggestions.

Snip~

That's totally okay. I ended up wandering away from this thread completely for a bit. The earning points thing from using hatchery viewers does seem interesting.