_Sin_

ANSWERED:Earning Special sprites via Activity

Using the term 'penalty', (with connotations implying a painful loss or punishment,) without explanation, confused me at first, as well, into initially thinking that points were to be subtracted *over and above any for breeding/picking one up* for each abandoned/Teleported egg.

Perhaps something rephrased more to the effect of '...abandoning or teleporting an egg (nulls your benefit) -X --> breeding for the AP can neither farm rewards, nor can it harm you in any way (neutral, avoids mass breeding, avoids potential issue referenced by Olympe) ...' would explain the apparent intention better?  smile.gif

Edit: I think the concern with Zombies and Vampires was actually with a suggestion that killing eggs/dragons should be penalized.  smile.gif

Thank you, those are tactful suggestions.

Attempting again:

- Breeding or catching from the cave or the AP (egg or hatchie) gives you a reward = +X

- Abandoning or teleporting an egg nullifies the benefit of breeding or catching that same = -X

Breeding for the AP can neither farm rewards, nor can it harm you in any way. Rationale : neutral, avoids mass breeding, avoids potential issue referenced by Olympe

- Hatching an egg gives you a reward = +Y with Y>X

- Abandoning or teleporting a hatchie reduces the breeding or catching reward = -X.

Partial benefit still remains =Y-X --> if you breed/catch an egg and hatch it for someone else, you still get a reward

- An adult grown up on your scroll gives you a reward = +Z

This seems too complicated. How about an alternative?

X points if an egg hatches on your scroll. (Never mind what kind of egg it is.) => The reward of an egg can only be given once.

x² points if a hatchling matures on your scroll or gets frozen there. => Once again, the reward for the hatchling can only be obtained once. Plus, it doesn't penalize people who freeze hatchlings.

True, it means that you'll only get points twice instead of three times, but I think it would simplify things quite a bit.

Thank you. Added to the OP.

X points if an egg hatches on your scroll. (Never mind what kind of egg it is.) => The reward of an egg can only be given once.

x² points if a hatchling matures on your scroll or gets frozen there. => Once again, the reward for the hatchling can only be obtained once. Plus, it doesn't penalize people who freeze hatchlings.

True, it means that you'll only get points twice instead of three times, but I think it would simplify things quite a bit.

Simple is good!

That certainly seems to eliminate a lot of potential issues right there. smile.gif

Including freezing is a good idea.

However, what you're suggesting will encourage trading rare stuff for tons of s1 hatchies. The users hatching the eggs would be rewarded only with X, while the users receiving the s1 hatchies would be rewarded with X^2 - seems unfair to me, since egg slots are more limiting than hatchie slots, and hatching an egg requires more time than having a hatchie gender. And it would reward the already "rich" who have the trade fodder to get tons of s1 hatchies, while those that have nothing to offer except hatching stuff for others are kept low.

That's why I suggested several "levels" - breeding/catching an egg, hatching, raising to adulthood - add in gendering if you'd like to make it 4 levels in total. No matter what stage the dragon is when it starts out on your scroll, you get X for the transition to next stage, X^2 to the one after that, and so on. This would reward successive stage transitions taking place on your scroll, not a specific single transition.

Edit to add an example: Say you trade a ton of hatchies for something you want. Breeding/catching gives you X, hatching gives you X^2 (or raises X to X^2 instead, whatever). You trade off the s1 hatchie, it genders on the receiver's scroll who gets X for gendering and X^2 for growing it up. Both parties of the trade got the same reward. If you trade it as s2, the difference will be X^3 vs. X (people will probably ask explicitely for s1's in trades if gendering is rewarded, so that's unlikely). If you leave out the gendering level completely, the scroll hatching the egg is rewarded higher.

Not saying that's a better system, just explaining my thoughts.

On another note: Sorry about the confusion the term "penalty" created xd.png But it has been explained by others already that you're not meant to get negative points in any case, only the points earned can be nulled to discourage farming.

Edited by Ha-Ki

Sin, it seems like what you may be looking forward is Vet rewards. Vet rewards convey a bonus without any particular activity on the part of the user rather than time.

We've had some suggestions for that in the past to try to reward raising commons and in effect make them more desirable. But too many people shot them down. People like having 70 prizes more than 5 waterhorses.But if you care to look up Veteran Biomes you'll find some activity related suggestions.

However, what you're suggesting will encourage trading rare stuff for tons of s1 hatchies. The users hatching the eggs would be rewarded only with X, while the users receiving the s1 hatchies would be rewarded with X^2 - seems unfair to me, since egg slots are more limiting than hatchie slots, and hatching an egg requires more time than having a hatchie gender. And it would reward the already "rich" who have the trade fodder to get tons of s1 hatchies, while those that have nothing to offer except hatching stuff for others are kept low.

That's why I suggested several "levels" - breeding/catching an egg, hatching, raising to adulthood - add in gendering if you'd like to make it 4 levels in total. No matter what stage the dragon is when it starts out on your scroll, you get X for the transition to next stage, X^2 to the one after that, and so on. This would reward successive stage transitions taking place on your scroll, not a specific single transition.

On another note: Sorry about the confusion the term "penalty" created xd.png But it has been explained by others already that you're not meant to get negative points in any case, only the points earned can be nulled to discourage farming.

I like the simplicity of Olympe's suggestion (and from a selfish point of view, the fact that she added freezing :-)) but you are making really good points. I think I need to "chew" on this for a bit.

Was thinking something along the same thing.

Easy, simple and for the whole family.

So far, the system proposed is getting over complicated. The fact that we're already thinking about penalties to avoid abuse is a proof of that.

With this suggestion, I think things stay clearer and more symple. If someone wants to raise X number of commons and release them to the wild, it's their choice. After all, the points are given for the dedication of raising dragons till adulthood, which takes 6 days. They have already done their job, they are free to spend their "money" however they wish.

After all, dragons have been constantly released to the wild. Why should this be a problem now?

The same with everything else. People could trade for hatchlings but will only receive the point for the dragon growing up.

People could trade for incuhatchables, which is no different to stuffing yourself with incuhatchables from the AP.

We should keep things simple.

Hmm, though I prefer that store idea (and so far can't see how this is not effectively a store, just another way of earning points/mana/currency) I have to say that I do not like the idea of losing points if I abandon a hatchie. I still hatched it. I am relatively selective about dragons on my scroll, and though I no longer limit my self to 2 adults/3 hatchlings for each sprite, this method WOULD effectively penalise people with non-hoarding gameplay. I don't think catching eggs should earn points, but I think hatching should, maybe gendering, and reaching adult should. And those points ARE NOT LOST if that hatchling/adult is abandoned or released or traded or killed or in any other way leaves the scroll.

Would this cause people to farm dragons (raise for points then release)? Yes. But it otherwise forces people to raise and keep dragons they don't want, or miss out on the earnable dragons.

You know if this works like that i will release a lot of dragons in the wilderness, that i raised to be counted on the encyclopedia, to push my luck to get a CB Blusang for example or a CB Soulpeace...

And that's a bad thing because...?

I am not a native speaker in english so my choice of words are far away from perfect describing my ideas like in my native language. And you know even in your native language nobody is everytime able to express her/his ideas with the right words.

*points to her signatur*

All in all this sounds like we have to hoard dragons and get a penalty for freezing, killing, biting, earthquake and releasing dragons from whom we think that they do not belong to our scroll anymore.

Have i forgotten something?

New suggestion for earning points:

Just 1 Point for taking care of one dragon or more dragons every month.

For reaching this 1 Point in this particular month any combination out of this three things reached 6 times count:

-an egg hatched

-hatchling grows to stage 2

-hatchling becomes an adult

So no one is seduced (yeah mayby another wrong choice of word rolleyes.gif ) to mass-breeding just to get a Golden Shimmerscale.

Now the only thing is how many month to reach level 1 and how many to reach level 2 and so on?

Whatever will be implemented i appreciate it to see a precisely description on the help page (or is it help site?) for all newbies and all the non-forum users. If something will be implemented of course. biggrin.gif

But you know a raffle is a raffle right? I can live with the idea to never win it. I like the idea of being lucky in love. wink.gif Nobody convince me that this is good for DC that it is just a matter of time that all of us own ALL CB Prizedragons. This change (i mean a picture from the future that is very certainly about to happen) sounds so boring to me.

But all of this is a mechanic to make us even more addicted to the game. Like the highscores and achievments in all the others games out there.

The bronze, silver and gold badge are allready there as achievments.

However, what you're suggesting will encourage trading rare stuff for tons of s1 hatchies. The users hatching the eggs would be rewarded only with X, while the users receiving the s1 hatchies would be rewarded with X^2 - seems unfair to me,

The "rich guys" will always be able to get their iPhone on the release date while the poor guys will have to save up to get it. However, this suggestion is to favor dedication. It might take you longer, but you know that with enough work, you'll get to your iPhone.

That's infinitely fairer than what we have now.

The whole point of this suggestion is to be able to earn eggs by raising eggs (by DCing).

IN DC you can already trade a CB silver for 10 terrae hatchlings, and that's part of the system.

You can hunt eggs.

Hunt incuhatchables in the AP.

Hunt hatchies in the AP.

Etc, etc, etc.

This system is supposed to reward dedication and work. How you do that work, is your own choice.

I don't think this should be an issue at all.

I can live with this. Nice and simple.

Still prefer other suggestions overall though, due to lack of impact on my playstyle smile.gif

All in all this sounds like we have to hoard dragons and get a penalty for freezing, killing, biting, earthquake and releasing dragons from whom we think that they do not belong to our scroll anymore.

And I am ferociously against that. The game allows to abandon and release with no penalty implied. I will be completely against this proposal if penalties for legal actions are seriously considered.

Actually, I don't think this will have any possibility if we start putting penalties on common actions like releasing or abandoning.

I am in favor of a simple proposal.

Raise egg- 1 point.

Raise adult- 1 point.

Therefore I am in favor of people like you, with specific scroll needs, to raise and release as you wish because, actually, the game allows that to happen.

This change (i mean a picture from the future that is very certainly about to happen) sounds so boring to me.

To be honest, if this gets implemented, there are soooo many other things I'd save points for before the prize dragons.

Edit to add an example: Say you trade a ton of hatchies for something you want. Breeding/catching gives you X, hatching gives you X^2 (or raises X to X^2 instead, whatever). You trade off the s1 hatchie, it genders on the receiver's scroll who gets X for gendering and X^2 for growing it up. Both parties of the trade got the same reward. If you trade it as s2, the difference will be X^3 vs. X (people will probably ask explicitely for s1's in trades if gendering is rewarded, so that's unlikely). If you leave out the gendering level completely, the scroll hatching the egg is rewarded higher.

On another note: Sorry about the confusion the term "penalty" created  xd.png But it has been explained by others already that you're not meant to get negative points in any case, only the points earned can be nulled to discourage farming.

I could be wrong, but I think 'maturing' was used there in the sense of growing up, rather than the way it's typically used on DC, for gendering.

Some of the more DC-specific terms can be a little confusing, lol, as also with giving dragon's 'Clicks' as opposed to 'clicking' something, dragon or otherwise.

Also, the reward surely wouldn't be higher for hatching an egg than having a hatchy grow up on your scroll, would it?

Wouldn't it just mean that you'd get equal points for each, so as to have both when both events occurred on your scroll?

Edited by Syphoneira

Looking for a compromise between Olympe's and Ha-Ki's suggestions... What if instead of x² was 2X or 3X? Much of this would depend on the unit chosen. For example, if X=100, x²=10000. But if X=1, x² is still 1.

And I am ferociously against that. The game allows to abandon and release with no penalty implied. I will be completely against this proposal if penalties for legal actions are seriously considered.

Actually, I don't think this will have any possibility if we start putting penalties on common actions like releasing or abandoning.

Raise egg- 1 point.

Raise adult- 1 point.

Therefore I am in favor of people like you, with specific scroll needs, to raise and release as you wish because, actually, the game allows that to happen.

To be honest, if this gets implemented, there are soooo many other things I'd save points for before the prize dragons.

Hi, DragonNighthowler! smile.gif

The 'penalty' term confused me, too, but it turned out to mean simply that people wouldn't gain points for simply picking up and abandoning/killing eggs.

Turns out that wouldn't apply anyway, and picking up eggs will be left off, which makes sense because one of my, at any rate, usual stints in the AP sorting through 800 eggs would make us all rich, I tell you, rich! xd.png

So that would be a non-issue, I suspect. smile.gif

Raise egg- 1 point.

Raise adult- 1 point.

I already forgot the penalties :-)

Edit: I found it, maybe need glasses.

Would your suggestion (BTW, added to the OP) be the equivalent of the following (paraphrasing Olympe's)?

1 points if an egg hatches on your scroll

1 points if a hatchling matures on your scroll or gets frozen there

@Olympe: Do you mind elaborating on why x² and not x?

Edited by _Sin_

I couldn't find a similar suggestion so here I go...

What if special sprites could be earned via normal activity as in catching, raising, breeding?

i dont support this.

we already get badges, lineages and sprites for normal activity.

i hoard and collect Gold Wyvrens, Nebulas, Moonstones and Prizes lines; not because i get something out of it (good trading fodder) but because i personally like those dragons.

for me, collecting the sprites and their lineages is enough of a reward. i dont need a special sprite rewarded to me for doing what i already do *shrugs*

Hi, DragonNighthowler! smile.gif

The 'penalty' term confused me, too, but it turned out to mean simply that people wouldn't gain points for simply picking up and abandoning/killing eggs.

Turns out that wouldn't apply anyway, and picking up eggs will be left off, which makes sense because one of my, at any rate, usual stints in the AP sorting through 800 eggs would make us all rich, I tell you, rich! xd.png

So that would be a non-issue, I suspect. smile.gif

Thanks for the explanation. biggrin.gif

New attempt to sort out stuff to get a clearer description for the OP:

Idea 1

- introduces several "levels" N and rewards you with X^N points for each level that was reached on your scroll, starting with X and ending with adulthood or freezing

- doesn't differentiate at all what happens with the dragon later - keep it, kill it, release it - the reward is earned and stays with you

levels:

1. breeding/catching an egg (no matter whether from cave or AP)

2. hatching

2a. gendering

3. adulthood

freezing replaces either gendering or adulthood in this list, depending on whether you freeze an s1 or s2 hatchie

rewards:

- X for the first transition to next level, X^2 for the next one, X^3 for the next, X^4 for the last

- you always start out with X, no matter what level the dragon is when it arrives on your scroll

pros:

- rewards raising a dragon from egg to adulthood on your scroll

- does not favor a specific stage transition over others

- does not need a system to penalize "bad actions", abandoning or killing simply cuts off the way to successive stages and higher rewards

cons:

- complicated (while I'm trying to explain I'm realizing it's probably too complicated to have a chance of being implemented)

Idea 2

- gives out rewards for certain things happening on your scroll, but nulls this reward to discourage farming

- the reward for a dragon can never go below 0, so no overall penalties - only reducing a reward

1. catching or breeding an egg: reward X

abandoning an egg: -X, you end up with 0 --> breeding to the AP is neutral - no farming encouraged, but no penalties either

2. hatching an egg: reward Y with Y>X

abandoning a hatchie: -X --> if you hatch an egg for someone else, you get a reward, but it's smaller compared to keeping the hatchie: Y-X > 0, because Y>X

gendering could be added as another point here

3. raising to adulthood or freezing: reward Z (could be the same or different for raising and freezing)

needs to be worked out:

- Killing should reduce the reward as well - by how much? (personal opinion: at least -X, killing should not be encouraged over abandoning)

- reward for catching a hatchie in the AP - what should it be? (personal opinion: at least X, maybe exactly X would be good)

- what about teleporting an egg/hatchie to a different scroll? (personal opinion: needs a negative modificator, or bouncing will be rewarded! -X or maybe -A with A<X to reward breeding + gifting via teleport a little. Anything different from -X can be a loophole for farming)

- what about releasing? (you've convinced me, in a game about raising dragons, it's not really an issue if the dragon is in the wild after being raised)

Open for discussion in general:

- How should obtaining an egg via teleport be handled? (personal opinion: no reward, or it'll encourage bouncing)

Heading to bed now - I'll dream about numbers and eggs for sure xd.png

Edited by Ha-Ki

I still think you guys are being overly complicated.

First, if by farming you mean raising till adulthood and abandoning, I don't really care what people do with their dragons so it shouldn't be an issue at all.

IMO, the best possibility, the simplest and most efective, and the one which will be easier to program is:

Egg to hatchling: 1 point.

Hatchling to adult; 1 point.

It eliminates all the issues with bouncing using teleport, abandoning and repicking, etc, etc, etc. The system gives you points ONLY when an egg turns into a hatchling and a hatchling into an adult.

I'm going to say a big no on this. I get confused easily and would prefer the mana game over this. I rather just relax and know I'm earning points then doing this. Plus I'm not sure on the whole losing points for things.

Also it makes me feel forced to raise dragons I don't want, which is a huge no for me

Edited by KuroYukia

I still think you guys are being overly complicated.

First, if by farming you mean raising till adulthood and abandoning, I don't really care what people do with their dragons so it shouldn't be an issue at all.

IMO, the best possibility, the simplest and most efective, and the one which will be easier to program is:

It eliminates all the issues with bouncing using teleport, abandoning and repicking, etc, etc, etc. The system gives you points ONLY when an egg turns into a hatchling and a hatchling into an adult.

Added Ha-Ki's and your suggestions to the OP.

And since I'm a fan of keep-it-simple, I'm adopting your suggestion. Until someone gives me good reasons not to :-)

Edited by _Sin_

I agree this has a lot of potential, but does need some fixing, but since it has so many variables it'll clash a lot for sure. o-o;;; Again, I'm still on the no side, but I think I could offer my opinion so you can see what might needs to be fixed upon your liking. smile.gif So here goes:

That being said, I don't think hatching/growing into an adult should count for points. If the AP is ER then it won't be for long if people notice. Catch/hatch and release until the AP is 5d 1h (and even then people will still wait out the 1h (which can be less since minutes aren't displayed) and continue. As for the hatchling part, it only encourages those who already try to hoard (or should I say collect?) a bunch of a certain breed of dragon(s) like me. Especially around Halloween. I have 104 CB Desipises, 10 of them from my own ability (caught 2 off AP as hatchlings, 1 as an egg). The reason I could obtain that is because I asked everyone that agreed to trade me x amount of Desipis hatchlings to hold even if it turns ER (none did I'll get to why later) well none did and that is because I priortized which ones had less time and basically grabbed them mostly when they were 4d 9h and try to stray away from 4d 10h+ if I could. This way I could get to the next batch and continue. Also a note to a little section of my profile regarding CB White hatchling IOUs. I have over 800 (Or at least 700 I'm 100% sure on that) CB White hatchling IOUs. Generally my CB White hatchling IOUs (if there is at least 3 people that still owe me hatchlings) has gotten out of hand to the point I cannot breed/catch for myself and does often interfere with me trying to schedule and coordinate breeding times for projects/trade fodder/IOUs/etc.

As for the penalty of releasing eggs/hatchlings I don't think that would be a good idea. Because of above I'm often forced to abandon (I try my VERY best not to because usually I very much want to keep it for various reasons) eggs and sometimes even hatchlings. I do resort to freezing sometimes, but not often. Also another reason is that there isn't anymore scheduled releases. I'm sure there are times where we prioritize the release over bred things/common CBs on our scroll so it forces you to do 1 of 2 things:

1) Keep your points, but potentially miss out on the initial release -- which do have the ability to become rare despite the spriter saying they were intended to become common/uncommon (Coppers and Pyralspites I'm looking at you), but that doesn't happen often... You'd just be really unlucky if it did, LOL. Sorry maybe that wasn't funny.

2) Lose your points as well as eggs you still would have rather kept, but get release eggs when they're just released.

Also according to the encyclopedia it counts as "owned" when you auto an egg from breeding so that shouldn't count against you either.

For me to maximize my points through CB Whites all I'd have to ask is everyone who owes me x amount to try and keep them off hatcheries once they hatch and allow me to pick up at my convenience (I do take when I can though because that is just common courtesy especially if you said just hatchlings and not ER hatchlings). With this as the way now, it would only motivate me even more to hoard CB Halloweens during Halloween season and I know there are also people that get LOADS of hatchlings during breeding season because they just want to have as much lines possible for them.

Penalty for killing... Ehhhh, just for using kill option or just anything that kills? Sickness (which can be the user's fault, but viewbomb exists as well and would probably encourage more viewbombing since they know the target loses points too), NDing (punishes experimenters for dead eggs, especially ones trying to get "force" message), Vamping (I like to vamp pretty lineages/completed lineages) Zombie attempts (does designating to dust also count against?), Earthquake, etc.

I think we should just leave penalties out. I also think a CAP needs to be in place so people like me cannot abuse it to get more (even though that would be a few people, it still is unfair for everyone else that does not have the same capabilities/potential). To show how extreme trading for massives of commons can be..... The most I got offered for one thing was a 3g shimmer. Originally the user traded me 12 CB Desipises for me to pick up whenever I wanted to in exchange for 3x 3g Prizes (different lines), they said they didn't have anymore spares, but wanted a fourth one and I told them although I'd like to, I normally trade those for 2x CB metals/swaps since not many would trade 100 CB Whites for it (trade 3g prize --> 2 CB Silvers --> 1x each for 50 CB White hatchlings or --> 1x CB Silver + 1x CB Gold --> Trade CB Gold for 2x CB Silvers --> trade 3x CB Silvers for 150 CB White hatchlings). They actually offered to trade to me OVER 100 CB White hatchlings (IOU of course), but I rejected it since I like to keep a couple-few of my 2g prizes for other opportunities. laugh.gif But yes there are users that are willing to do those sort of trades AND users that are willing to trade 3g prizes, CB metals, etc for massive amounts of hatchlings. :3 I'm sorry if this comes off bragging to anyone, I'm not trying to, but there are people that go, "Well how would you know that? rolleyes.gif " Well my answer is through VERY DETAILED EXPERIENCE. This is why we should (again IMO) keep a cap if we get points for raising, hatchling, gendering, etc.

I still prefer the game/raffle idea. It's simple and I don't see a problem with dumb luck, but some do for whatever reason. o3o Anyways I think if we can nail this I might prefer this over any of the other suggestions.

I was thinking we should get points for completing each encyclopedia entry. If it's still up for expansion, but if it was released anyways and you fill out whatever you can then you still get points. For example since I worded that confusingly:

Let's say we have a new breed, for clarification reasons, we'll just call it, "Newbreed Dragons". Once entries can be filled then you get points for getting all possible entries you can currently get. However, TJ decides to add more entries... Fill those entries up and you still get some more points. I don't think you should be capped for this and the overall cap (breeding/catching/hatching/raising/etc) would pile up with this. smile.gif

I think I had a few more ideas, but after writing all this I forgot some of them laugh.gif

I'm going to say a big no on this. I get confused easily and would prefer the mana game over this.  I rather just relax and know I'm earning points then doing this. Plus I'm not sure on the whole losing points for things.

Also it makes me feel forced to raise dragons I don't want,  which is a huge no for me

I'm not attempting to change your mind nor the mind of anybody that does not like this type of suggestion. We will just agree to disagree.

BUT would like to point to the fact that we have been excluding the "losing points" / penalties part for a couple of pages.

Furthermore, I'm not sure how this would force you to raise dragons. You already, do, no?

Anyway... People that aren't interested on this mechanism will just keep doing what they are doing. The people that are will just make a bit more effort to join higher levels.

Edited by _Sin_

i dont support this.

we already get badges, lineages and sprites for normal activity.

i hoard and collect Gold Wyvrens, Nebulas, Moonstones and Prizes lines; not because i get something out of it (good trading fodder) but because i personally like those dragons.

for me, collecting the sprites and their lineages is enough of a reward.  i dont need a special sprite rewarded to me for doing what i already do *shrugs*

Well, looked at one way, we'd enjoy the Events if there had never been a Raffle, and we certainly '...dont need a special sprite rewarded to (any among us) for doing what...' we would anyway do.

Looked at another way, the Raffle was a fun addition which was something new and different and provided a mechanism for distributing beautiful new sprites into the community in a manner which did not require people to be able to afford fast computers or connections or to place those with age/health issues or disabilities at a disadvantage in the completely random, if infinitesimal chance of receiving a special sprite purely by luck.

Unfortunately, this perfectly fair equalizer has turned out to be way overpowered in effect, and has disrupted DC in multiple ways, chronic problems have developed, and various within the community are trying to make suggestions which they feel may help to improve matters.

This is one. smile.gif

And this one is trying to encourage people simply to come back/play more.

It may not be likely to be adopted by TJ as an addition to the Raffles, but at least some of the community are working together on making constructive suggestions in various threads to try to come up with something we, at least, would find acceptable.

Even if nothing else comes out of it, I do strongly feel that's a better direction for the site to be heading in than one where we aren't. smile.gif