_Sin_

ANSWERED:Earning Special sprites via Activity

I couldn't find a similar suggestion so here I go...

What if special sprites could be earned via normal activity as in catching, raising, breeding?

Notes:

- Based on the Encyclopedia type of data (i.e. number of eggs ever owned, number of adults raised etc.), I assume that there's an underlying mechanism that counts events. Events like catching eggs, breeding them, raising adults. My hope is that that underlying mechanism can be used to "measure" activity.

- I'm suggesting that the same sprites that you could win via raffle, including HM, could be earned.

- I'm not suggesting removing any other mechanism i.e. store, raffle, in-game high scores.

- The Encyclopedia is quite new so the mechanism should be new as well, in consequence the newbies shouldn't be penalized.

Thoughts?

P.S. Please consider that this is another idea-in-development. Brain-storming is highly welcome.

Let's imagine that you are trying to become an experienced mage. Let's imagine that there are 9 (could be 3 or 5 or ?) levels of knowledge. Once you reach your first level you can conjure/invoke a dragon that is part of the first level. When you reach the 2nd level you can conjure the dragons that are on the 2nd and 1st level. When you reach the maximum level, you can conjure any of the dragons available on all levels but, afterwards, your energy is depleted and you start from scratch. Or (but I don't really like that) periodically (every year, 2, 3 years?) your energy depletes and you need to start from scratch anyway.

Something like:

X points when you hatch an egg

Y point when a hatchie genders on your scroll

Z points when a hatchie becomes an adult

Q points the first time any given dragon breeds successfully (and produces an egg)

Where probably Y<X<Z<Q but that's just my thought.

And then you need a certain number of points to get to each 'level' or whatever? That shouldn't cause mass breeding but still acknowledges breeding as a significant event. I don't think playing for half an hour versus playing for five hours is going to make a huge difference - you still have to wait for eggs to hatch and stuff.

Viewing dragons for points would need a cap though, or you could just keep on forever.

Yes, could be N level = fixed quantity of points x N? Or?

For what concerns the breeding, agreed: only with the first time a breeding is successful but after the mage's energy is depleted (and the mage starts from scratch), the next first time that the given dragon produces an egg, that counts.

I would avoid having the "viewing" contribute to the "earning" part. It does already for the Encyclopedia.

I think the person should be able to choose between the eggs available for the level reached and below. That could be done in a webpage. The person goes there, flags the sprite to be conjured and types the desired code. If it exists already the situation wouldn't be any different from attempting to name a dragon, just less characters available :-)

I'm not too much for constraints other than the ones already in place. My apologies for bringing up the raffles but they are useful for examples. Let's say that you are very lucky and you win 1st prize for the next 10 year and that the prize breeds do not change. Could you have 10 Gold Shimmers at the end? I don't see any rule forbidding that. Yes, my example is far-fetched but you get my point. Can someone win more than 2 CB Holidays with successive raffles? I'm not sure that's possible.

An option should be to (inversely) associate the cap with the levels. For example, in a lifetime, you can earn not more than 18 (9x2) eggs of a sprite that is associated with the first (easiest) level but only 2 (1x2) of a sprite that is associated with the 9th, the hardest, level. You could still earn a different sprite anyway. As in, if a Gold Shimmer is on level 9, you can earn no more than 2 in total. But you could still earn 2 Gold Tinsels. If a Silver Shimmer is on level 8, you could earn no more than 4. But you could still earn 4 Silver Tinsels. Please note that this is only an example, with full room for debate.

Maybe I'm in the minority here but I think that to catch eggs in the AP, hatch (and abandon or not)  or freeze  are very good thing for the cave and should earn points.

Why not spin this a little further - instead of N times fixed quantity, we could use a system that encourages you to raise eggs all the way to adults.

- you breed an egg or catch one from the cave -> you get some reward (X)

- the same egg hatches on your scroll -> your reward is doubled (X x2), or maybe even tripled (X x3)

- the same hatchie grows up on your scroll -> your reward is doubled (X x4) or tripled (X x9) again

So raising an egg all the way to adulthood without it leaving your scroll would get you the maximum reward.

It could work with powers of N as well - X^1 for breeding/catching, X^2 for hatching, X^3 for growing up.

If you trade for a low-time egg, you would simply start one stage later, and you only get the reward for one stage if the next one is reached on your scroll, to rule out rewarding breeding+abandoning or catching+abandoning.

An alternative, maybe simpler way to do this:

- breeding or catching from the cave gives you a reward X

- abandoning or teleporting gives you a penalty -X --> breeding for the AP can neither farm rewards, nor can it harm you in any way

- hatching the egg gives you a reward Y with Y>X

- abandoning or teleporting a hatchie gives you the same penalty as for the egg, -X --> if you breed/catch an egg and hatch it for someone else, you still get a reward

- an adult grown up on your scroll gives you a reward Z

- an adult released gives you a penalty ? (should only be the case if you got a reward for the same dragon before, you should not be penalized for releasing a dragon that has been on your scroll longer than rewards for raising have been in place)

A system like that would

- encourage you to raise eggs all the way to adulthood

- reward you only a little if you trade for low-time-hatchies that grow up on your scroll, but hatched somewhere else

- reward people who hatch eggs for others (less than if they'd keep and raise the hatchie, but still)

About rewards for breeding a pair the first time: I think there should be none. I have hundreds of dragons on my scroll that have never been bred. This would encourage me to mass-breed them all to the AP to farm the rewards for breeding them the first time.

Only give out a reward for breeding if the egg stays on your scroll, or at least hatches there. Anything else will reward mass-breeding.

About people who collect only 1 pair + frozen hatchie set: This may sound harsh, but this is a suggestion about rewarding people for playing and being active. And since this is a game about catching/breeding and raising dragons, activity means... well, catching/breeding and raising dragons. Catching/breeding and raising more dragons equals more activity.

But: With a system like the above one, hatching eggs and gifting (or even abandoning) the hatchies while waiting for a new release would be rewarded as well. Raising dragons and releasing them to the wild would also be rewarded. Keeping them on your scroll would be rewarded more, but that's the whole point of this suggestion, isn't it?

- Catching from the AP should give you the reward X as well.

- If abandoning or teleporting gives you a penalty -X, automatically there's no incentive for mass-breeding so I must disagree with "rewards for breeding a pair the first time: I think there should be none"

There should also be a penalty for killing a dragon, that's missing in my above post.

This seems too complicated. How about an alternative?

X points if an egg hatches on your scroll. (Never mind what kind of egg it is.) => The reward of an egg can only be given once.

x² points if a hatchling matures on your scroll or gets frozen there. => Once again, the reward for the hatchling can only be obtained once. Plus, it doesn't penalize people who freeze hatchlings.

True, it means that you'll only get points twice instead of three times, but I think it would simplify things quite a bit.

Incorporating Syphoneira's tactful suggestions :-)

- Breeding or catching from the cave or the AP (egg or hatchie) gives you a reward = +X

- Abandoning or teleporting an egg nullifies the benefit of breeding or catching that same = -X

Breeding for the AP can neither farm rewards, nor can it harm you in any way. Rationale :  neutral, avoids mass breeding, avoids potential issue referenced by Olympe

- Hatching an egg gives you a reward = +Y with Y>X

- Abandoning or teleporting a hatchie reduces the breeding or catching reward = -X.

Partial benefit still remains =Y-X --> if you breed/catch an egg and hatch it for someone else, you still get a reward

- An adult grown up on your scroll gives you a reward = +Z

I am in favor of a simple proposal.

Raise egg- 1 point.

Raise adult- 1 point.

New attempt to sort out stuff to get a clearer description for the OP:

Idea 1

- introduces several "levels" N and rewards you with X^N points for each level that was reached on your scroll, starting with X and ending with adulthood or freezing

- doesn't differentiate at all what happens with the dragon later - keep it, kill it, release it - the reward is earned and stays with you

levels:

1. breeding/catching an egg (no matter whether from cave or AP)

2. hatching

2a. gendering

3. adulthood

freezing replaces either gendering or adulthood in this list, depending on whether you freeze an s1 or s2 hatchie

rewards:

- X for the first transition to next level, X^2 for the next one, X^3 for the next, X^4 for the last

- you always start out with X, no matter what level the dragon is when it arrives on your scroll

pros:

- rewards raising a dragon from egg to adulthood on your scroll

- does not favor a specific stage transition over others

- does not need a system to penalize "bad actions", abandoning or killing simply cuts off the way to successive stages and higher rewards

cons:

- complicated (while I'm trying to explain I'm realizing it's probably too complicated to have a chance of being implemented)

Idea 2

- gives out rewards for certain things happening on your scroll, but nulls this reward to discourage farming

- the reward for a dragon can never go below 0, so no overall penalties - only reducing a reward

1. catching or breeding an egg: reward X

abandoning an egg: -X, you end up with 0  --> breeding to the AP is neutral - no farming encouraged, but no penalties either

2. hatching an egg: reward Y with Y>X

abandoning a hatchie: -X   --> if you hatch an egg for someone else, you get a reward, but it's smaller compared to keeping the hatchie: Y-X > 0, because Y>X

gendering could be added as another point here

3. raising to adulthood or freezing: reward Z (could be the same or different for raising and freezing)

needs to be worked out:

- Killing should reduce the reward as well - by how much? (personal opinion: at least -X, killing should not be encouraged over abandoning)

- reward for catching a hatchie in the AP - what should it be? (personal opinion: at least X, maybe exactly X would be good)

- what about teleporting an egg/hatchie to a different scroll? (personal opinion: needs a negative modificator! -X or maybe -A with A<X to reward breeding + gifting via teleport a little. Anything different from -X can be a loophole for farming)

- what about releasing? (you've convinced me, in a game about raising dragons, it's not really an issue if the dragon is in the wild after being raised)

Open for discussion in general:

- How should obtaining an egg via teleport be handled? (personal opinion: no reward, or it'll encourage bouncing)

I still think you guys are being overly complicated.

First, if by farming you mean raising till adulthood and abandoning, I don't really care what people do with their dragons so it shouldn't be an issue at all.

IMO, the best possibility, the simplest and most efective, and the one which will be easier to program is:

Egg to hatchling: 1 point.

Hatchling to adult; 1 point.

It eliminates all the issues with bouncing using teleport, abandoning and repicking, etc, etc, etc. The system gives you points ONLY when an egg turns into a hatchling and a hatchling into an adult.

Egg to hatchling: 1 point.

Hatchling to frozen hatchling: 1 point.

Hatchling to adult: 1 point.

Edited by _Sin_

Would this be inherently connected to the encyclopedia or just based on normal activities that are related to a user's scroll? I'm asking because there's a discrepancy between what the encyclopedia thinks I have and what I actually have on my scroll.

That probably would be exactly the sort of activity which TJ would like to encourage, and using the Encyclopedia is a very clever thought.

I really don't think I've heard any other suggestions quite like this.

Edit: Jazeki has an excellent point - how broad a range in calculating points would be involved?

Edited by Syphoneira

Would this be inherently connected to the encyclopedia or just based on normal activities that are related to a user's scroll? I'm asking because there's a discrepancy between what the encyclopedia thinks I have and what I actually have on my scroll.

Based on what I understood so far, the Encyclopedia doesn't tell you (for example) how many eggs you have in your scroll but instead how many you had since the Encyclopedia started. I'm not saying that the Encyclopedia is 100% accurate but it seems to be the only mechanism that reflects your "history".

Furthermore, (excuse: non-native speaker) I didn't express myself correctly and will try to make my point more clearly: based on the Encyclopedia data, I assume that there's an underlying mechanism that counts events. Events like catching eggs, breeding them, raising adults. My hope is that underlying mechanism can be used to "measure" activity.

What are special sprites?

The same sprites that you could win via raffle, including HM.

The same sprites that you could win via raffle, including HM.

Sorry, I see now I misread the first post. The size/font type combo is hard on my eyes.

~

I really, really would rather prizes stay prizes. I definitely don't want multiple mechanisms in place to allow users to get these special sprites as there are threads for now. If we get one mechanism that keeps prizes rare, I'll live, but I definitely don't want all three, lol.

I think out of all of them I may prefer the game raffle idea, but perhaps if this suggestion were thought out a bit more, I could be convinced.

I'd like to see this idea fleshed out a bit more with specifics before I weigh in one way or another.

Some questions I have are:

- Will there be breed caps?

-Is it based on daily, weekly, monthly, yearly, etc. activity?

-Is it based on the idea of doing said activity (like breeding) x amount of times or raising x amount of dragons before you earn the sprite?

-Does the work that you did to earn the dragon immediately disappear after you pick whatever dragon you want on your scroll? Or can it accumulate over time? Like for example, if I worked and earned a CB silver, do I have whatever earnings left over to earn another dragon or do I start over from scratch?

I like this A LOT better than the game or the store ones. smile.gif It would even mean that non forum members were unwittingly a part of it all and might suddenly find they earned something!

Just my dime (inflation xd.png)

The breeding idea I can just about run with.

I absolutely hated the mana game, I thought it was horrible, so I don't want to have to play time-consuming games to earn points. I like to spend my time here doing the stuff that DC was originally created for.

I sincerely hope that we don't end up with games and stores to 'buy' whatever with whatever.

I really don't want anything to change.

I like this idea, better than the other ideas. I think it would be good to have the credit you accrue through normal activity be used up after you pick a sprite to buy. It would be awkward to just have it accumulate and never be spent.

I like this idea way better than the other two. You keep doing what you were already doing, raising commons, and yet get a reward for activity and dedication.

However, the system should be elaborated further to guarantee fair game for everyone.

I do like the inclusion of the encyclopedia in this. While it is fun to search for dragons and stuff to complete it, this would give it a more active presence in the game.

I MUCH prefer this idea to the others also.

I don't want to have to water my DC time down by having to play some little game for several hundred hours. The store idea - I'm so not for. But having my regular DC activity actually garner me something for my "dedication" (read addiction) - to me just feels like a better answer.

ETA: @DragonNightHowler - how could this be unfair to anyone if all they have to do is To Do on DC?

Edited by Ayelldee

I MUCH prefer this idea to the others also.

I don't want to have to water my DC time down by having to play some little game for several hundred hours. The store idea - I'm so not for. But having my regular DC activity actually garner me something for my "dedication" (read addiction) - to me just feels like a better answer.

ETA: @DragonNightHowler - how could this be unfair to anyone if all they have to do is To Do on DC?

I don't know, to be honest, as right now nothing is really clear on how this will work. That's why I said we should elaborate further. For example, is every egg we raise going to be treated equally?

Are certain eggs going to unlock some sprites and others other types of sprites?

Etc.

We should adress this questions as, right now, the idea is in very early stages.

Sorry, I see now I misread the first post. The size/font type combo is hard on my eyes.

I'm sorry, will change it.

I definitely don't want multiple mechanisms in place to allow users to get these special sprites as there are threads for now. If we get one mechanism that keeps prizes rare, I'll live, but I definitely don't want all three, lol

I seriously doubt that TJ will implement three mechanisms. If we are lucky, he will implement one. As I said, I didn't want to suggest that the others weren't good. Just trying to offer more alternatives.

I'd like to see this idea fleshed out a bit more with specifics before I weigh in one way or another.

Some questions I have are:

- Will there be breed caps?

-Is it based on daily, weekly, monthly, yearly, etc. activity?

-Is it based on the idea of doing said activity (like breeding) x amount of times or raising x amount of dragons before you earn the sprite?

-Does the work that you did to earn the dragon immediately disappear after you pick whatever dragon you want on your scroll? Or can it accumulate over time? Like for example, if I worked and earned a CB silver, do I have whatever earnings left over to earn another dragon or do I start over from scratch?

My idea is a bit different... Let's imagine that you are trying to become an experienced mage. Let's imagine that there are 9 (could be 3 or 5 or ?) levels of knowledge. Once you reach your first level you can conjure/invoke a dragon that is part of the first level. When you reach the 2nd level you can conjure the dragons that are on the 2nd and 1st level. When you reach the maximum level, you can conjure any of the dragons available on all levels but, afterwards, your energy is depleted and you start from scratch. Or (but I don't really like that) periodically (every year, 2, 3 years?) your energy depletes and you need to start from scratch anyway.

My apologies, I think I forgot at least one point. Used bold on Jazeki's post to show what I'm answering to. Basically, yes.

Edited by _Sin_

This idea has potential, but right now it needs a lot of work.

Current problem I see is that if everything you do earns points there will have to be a daily cap of some kind. Folk who can play all day (like me) would have an advantage over folk who can only play for a few mins at a time.

A big issue would be breeding; if you get points for every egg bred, you are encouraging mass breeding. Mass breeding can be a BIG problem and can really make a mess of the Abandoned page. Mass breeding tends to make walls of blocker eggs that even if they are incuhatchable might not be wanted. While a wall of Red eggs would be gone in a heartbeat, a wall of Whiptails might sit there for hours.

Current problem I see is that if everything you do earns points there will have to be a daily cap of some kind. Folk who can play all day (like me) would have an advantage over folk who can only play for a few mins at a time.

A big issue would be breeding; if you get points for every egg bred, you are encouraging mass breeding. Mass breeding can be a BIG problem and can really make a mess of the Abandoned page. Mass breeding tends to make walls of blocker eggs that even if they are incuhatchable might not be wanted. While a wall of Red eggs would be gone in a heartbeat, a wall of Whiptails might sit there for hours.

Agreed. I would make it only so it takes in account eggs WE raised, because that implies work, dedication and time. By breeding it pretty much is only clicking and tossing.

Maybe the difference between badges can be a minor issue but, really, it doesn't take that long to get gold badge.

Agreed, needs a lot of work.

I'm not sure if I agree with the daily cap part. What's the issue if someone else is earning? That does not impact the player. Some people have better connections and catch rares. Some have better reflexes. Some have been in the forum forever and have a network of friends that can help/gift etc. Some are lucky and earn the raffle. I don't think there's any way we can make everything equal for everybody.

What are you suggesting on mass breeding? A cap on the "earning via breeding"?

Something like:

Q points the first time any given dragon breeds successfully (and produces an egg)

And then you need a certain number of points to get to each 'level' or whatever? That shouldn't cause mass breeding but still acknowledges breeding as a significant event. I don't think playing for half an hour versus playing for five hours is going to make a huge difference - you still have to wait for eggs to hatch and stuff.

Viewing dragons for points would need a cap though, or you could just keep on forever.

My opinion:

Whatever comes in the future:

First: Prize Dragons can NEVER be obtained outside the raffles.

Second: Do you know how many special codes TJ have to create? In a short time we will have the same problem as for our regular naming of our dragons. So NO special codes for dragon that we get as part of this suggestion.

Third: There are users that will only have a certain number of dragons from each breed. I really don't want to be "punished" for keeping my scoll nice and clean. I really don't want more than 30 dragons of a breed on my scroll. And there are users with even more restricted amount of dragons of one breed.

Fourth:

My idea for using this is to summon a random egg at mage level 1. The chance to get a rare is (i don't know) 10%. On level 2 a little bit higher 15% and so on until level 9 finally 50%! We can work on the numbers. wink.gif The codes of this dragons are the random mixture from letters and numbers as every other dragon.

What dragons we can summon?

• no Prize Dragons!
  • every Dragon that we can find in the biomes - rarity depends on what we work out here
  • mayby Hybrid Dragons - Avatars only if we already own a Guardian of Nature

Something like:

Your suggestions make perfect sense, thank you.

Yes, could be N level = fixed quantity of points x N? Or?

For what concerns the breeding, agreed: only with the first time a breeding is successful but after the mage's energy is depleted (and the mage starts from scratch), the next first time that the given dragon produces an egg, that counts.

I would avoid having the "viewing" contribute to the "earning" part. It does already for the Encyclopedia.

I really don't want to be "punished"

Being punished would imply getting something negative due to an accion or lack of thereof.

Getting punished would mean that, by keeping your scroll nice and clean, the system decided that eggs would take 4 more days to hatch instead of the regular 3.

By choosing your own gameplay style, you're not being punished. You stay as you are. The system doesn't force you to hoard eggs. The system WILL reward you IF you hoard eggs.

The closest example is if you have a base salary in your work of 600$ and you can earn 100 $ per item you sell. If you don't sell, you stay with those 600$, but if you sell, you earn 100 extra bucks.

A punishment in this scenario would be your boss firing you because of not selling.

My opinion:

Whatever comes in the future:

First: Prize Dragons can NEVER be obtained outside the raffles.

Second: Do you know how many special codes TJ have to create? In a short time we will have the same problem as for our regular naming of our dragons. So NO special codes for dragon that we get as part of this suggestion.

Third: There are users that will only have a certain number of dragons from each breed. I really don't want to be "punished" for keeping my scoll nice and clean. I really don't want more than 30 dragons of a breed on my scroll. And there are users with even more restricted amount of dragons of one breed.

Fourth:

My idea for using this is to summon a random egg at mage level 1. The chance to get a rare is (i don't know) 10%. On level 2 a little bit higher 15% and so on until level 9 finally 50%! We can work on the numbers. wink.gif The codes of this dragons are the random mixture from letters and numbers as every other dragon.

What dragons we can summon?

no Prize Dragons!

every Dragon that we can find in the biomes - rarity depends on what we work out here

mayby Hybrid Dragons - Avatars only if we already own a Guardian of Nature

I respectfully disagree. IMHO whatever can be obtained within the raffle (including as HM) should be obtainable via this mechanism. My apologies but, still IMHO, makes more sense to reward activity than "dumb luck".

I confess that I didn't think about special codes, your point is acknowledged.

We must agree on disagreeing on the randomness. I think the person should be able to choose between the eggs available for the level reached and below. That could be done in a webpage. The person goes there, flags the sprite to be conjured and types the desired code. If it exists already the situation wouldn't be any different from attempting to name a dragon, just less characters available :-)

The only problem I see with this idea (and it's a big one to me) is that this would may make it difficult for those that have specific scroll goals.

Me, for instance, with some exceptions, I only collect four of each breed (2 male, 2 female) and then a frozen hatchling of each stage. I already have the quota for most dragon breeds (rarer breeds I'm still working on, while other's I refuse to let onto my scroll at all).

On top of that (and mostly because of it)I don't breed often, typically only hunt when looking for breeds I'm missing, or for a new release. Thus, I wouldn't appear as 'active' as other players, simply because my playing goals are different than others.

I would be at a disadvantage and forced to change my playstyle to get these. Unless points are retroactively applied for effort already done...and well, seeing how the Encyclopedia was done, I doubt that will happen.