Mondat

Allow foreign characters in dragon names

I wasn't sure if I should reply but now I think I want to. I really do not think you can compare Japanese with Portuguese (Japanese uses a complete different character writing system).

Let me give you some examples of romanized Japanese words where the reading/writing is the same but the meaning differs depending on which Kanji you use:

kaze - could be "wind" or "a cold"(illness)

sentaku - could be "choice/option", "laundry" or "divine oracle"

hanasu - could be "to speak/talk", or "to let go of X", or "to separate"

atsui - could be "thick" (a book or curtain, for example), or "hot/warm"(weather, liquids&food, passion..and yes, there are also different Kanji..there is one Kanji for the weather and another for drinks, feelings and anything else that can be hot/warm...)

To name a few I could think of at the moment. Your "Coração" probably stays "heart" even if you write it as "Coracao" while with romanized Japanese you can name your dragon "choice" or "laundry" with one sentaku.

(Edited because of my choice of words)

I wasn't comparing the two languages, I was saying you can read it just fine without kanji characters, which you can. If the point is for the reader to understand the meaning, I don't think everyone knows that much japanese anyway. Even if you write "Atsui" as "thick", I won't be able to tell. I can actually read japanese if it's romanized. If it's written in Kanji, yeah I won't get it. I can't trust google translator on that one, it tricked me many times when I tried to translate stuff in japanese.

Actually, in portuguese, you have words written the same that have different meanings, just like the romanized words you mentioned. It's all about the context, and not even with the accents we can figure it out if it's not in a context.

For example, "colher" doesn't take accents and has two meanings. It's either "spoon" or "harvest/gather". Of course we pronounce it differently, but if it's written we don't know which one it is without context. I believe those are called homographs?

And "Coracao" is not pronunced the same as "Coração", but we figure out they meant "Coração" but had no ç or ~ to write it

----------

@ Ruby Eyes - but what sound does coracao make in your head ? If not the sound the owner intended - the name isn't working !

To be fair, when I name my dragons in portuguese, I'm not exactly expecting people to say "Coração" out loud or understand that I meant "Heart" xd.png As long as I understand them, it's alright to me... I'm not able to pronounce names or know what they mean in other languages, even if you add in special characters sad.gif

But I recognize the need to write the words correctly. I couldn't see special characters in the valentines/christmas cards either, which tells me this might bring a lot of "????" and squares in dragons names. I don't think this system is needed, but if it gets implemented it won't bother me either, as long as the characters appear correctly.

Edited by LaHaine

I wasn't comparing the two languages, I was saying you can read it just fine without kanji characters, which you can. If the point is for the reader to understand the meaning, I don't think everyone knows that much japanese anyway. Even if you write "Atsui" as "thick", I won't be able to tell. I can actually read japanese if it's romanized. If it's written in Kanji, yeah I won't get it. I can't trust google translator on that one, it tricked me many times when I tried to translate stuff in japanese.

Actually, in portuguese, you have words written the same that have different meanings, just like the romanized words you mentioned. It's all about the context, and not even with the accents we can figure it out if it's not in a context.

For example, "colher" doesn't take accents and has two meanings. It's either "spoon" or "harvest/gather". Of course we pronounce it differently, but if it's written we don't know which one it is without context. I believe those are called homographs?

And "Coracao" is not pronunced the same as "Coração", but we figure out they meant "Coração" but had no ç or ~ to write it

I still do not think you can compare reading Portuguese without accents with reading romanized Japanese, let's agree to disagree. Of course people who aren't able to write/read proper Japanese will always say "you can read romanized Japanese fine". But it is not the same and will never be, at least to me here on this forum. Reading romanized Japanese is a pain in the ass even if the grammar/choice of words is perfectly correct, same with reading texts which are written in Hiragana and/or Katakana only (I will only do that for you if you're a Japanese kid and cute). Or to quote my Japanese husband "gomi da/it's rubbish" xd.png

-----------------------------

(everything after this line is not directed at you, LaHaine)

I guess my main reasons for getting Japanese characters (or other foreign characters) are:

1.) Romanized Japanese can be used or abused already, I myself keep butchering English language here and with my dragons all_the_time

2.) I would like to think that, as long as I do not use hurtful, rude or disgusting names while respecting the site rules & as long as I cooperate in times when my dragon names seem "suspicious" (as in, I can explain what the names mean and give links etc.), I can name my dragons however I want or leave them unnamed. I do not like things like "CB" or "8G PB Red No. 53" but people name their dragons that way anyway - yes, they also use other foreign languages I do not understand. So why should it be a problem for people if I have dragons with names that show them weird signs on my scroll?

[Most of them will not be bred/most of the users here won't get to see offspring anyway. And in the rare case of a person grabbing my egg from dragons with weird characters on the AP...I abandoned it, do what you want with it, feel free to re-abandon or kill. You also have the choice to ignore my trade offers if you do not like my names. It's a game, I can take it.]

Somebody also mentioned a "problem with checking if the dragon is inbred or not". I myself always use the IB checker on Taond by inserting the code - if you feel that's not a safe way to check for inbreeding, you can check the lineage yourself by looking for the codes.

I have to admit, I don't think it's fair to say 'I would like to use these odd characters so I want to see them added, but I don't think this other language needs to be added' (although I think it's fair for native speakers to not want to see their language characters added). =X Although webfonts may be a valid concern here. I don't want to have to download some extras so I can see a whole bunch of new symbols rather than the ugly missing image symbol.

Someone pointed out punctuation, specifically periods, which I have wanted to use in the past.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

Perfectly fine? This is what I see (2 sample messages):

user posted image

I have to agree with you there. The message below was in chinese, and it was perfectly fine during Valentine's, but after the event it messed up.

user posted image

I got that one as well, probably from the same player laugh.gif

@SockPuppet Strangler: The same punctuation as in descriptions? Plus or minus the question mark?

I have to admit, I don't think it's fair to say 'I would like to use these odd characters so I want to see them added, but I don't think this other language needs to be added' (although I think it's fair for native speakers to not want to see their language characters added). =X Although webfonts may be a valid concern here. I don't want to have to download some extras so I can see a whole bunch of new symbols rather than the ugly missing image symbol.

Someone pointed out punctuation, specifically periods, which I have wanted to use in the past.

It still is a question about being able to associate some kind of sound with a dragon's name or not - as wrong as that sound might be. Besides, even English, the site's main language, uses some of them.

I can only agree with that. It doesn't really matter if I get a totally wrong sound from the name of your dragon, as long as I can somehow memorize it so I don't have to copy and paste its name whenever I need it. And, since this an English site, I think that the Latin alphabet is a common denominator. Some variations like á, à, â, ä and whatever else you can find out there are fine in my book. If I don't know what the tiny little symbol above (or below) a letter means, I can ignore it - and still arrive at something with a distinctive sound I can memorize.

This.

I would support it for diacratics. It would allow effective 'romanization' of most languages.

I'd say no for Kanji or Chinese characters purely because plenty of folks wouldn't recognize or be able to read them.

That said, in the form the post above me suggests, I would have no problem at all with it and would give it my support. smile.gif

It still is a question about being able to associate some kind of sound with a dragon's name or not - as wrong as that sound might be. Besides, even English, the site's main language, uses some of them.

And what do you usually do in case of unnamed dragons? (which I highly prefer over named dragons which are ugly named in my opinion...)

Frankly speaking, I could not care less about associating some sounds with dragon names in a game where it's mostly about the visuals. And if I really cared to know I would make an effort to look it up myself. I would prefer ignoring or looking it up to knowing that some people cannot use a language properly just because I cannot read it myself.

But, as with all matters, I am not other people.

Come to think of it...maybe I should start writing a giant post about Japanese pronunciation and how much it matters - see Japanese pitch accent? Because hey, the Japanese have to know how to distinguish for instance "now" and "living room" (romanized: ima) when they're talking with each other, right?

I would also like to point out that while English is still the site's main language, there's a suggestion to get DC translated in other languages. I do not remember if TJ's turned it down completely. So while English is the main language which'll probably not change there's a tiny little chance we can have DC in other languages in the future.

I have to admit, I don't think it's fair to say 'I would like to use these odd characters so I want to see them added, but I don't think this other language needs to be added' (although I think it's fair for native speakers to not want to see their language characters added). =X

Heh, somebody stating the obvious.

And while I do agree that webfonts might be a problem, I also think it should not be such a big deal for people who do not have to deal with it if they do not want to because nobody gets forced to keep eggs they do not want to have, sorry. You and other mods - for name checking etc. - I can understand.

Mondat - whatever else, do bear in mind that IF you were to get your way, well over half of us would not be able to see your dragon's names AT ALL.

I'd far rather see them in Roman alphabet letters than see a slew of boxes - which could mean that a lineage of yours would end up looking like all the dragons had the same name, or worse. I'd rather see them thinking they were called laundry, to be honest.

I still do not think you can compare reading Portuguese without accents with reading romanized Japanese

Something as fickle as an accent can change the meaning of a word in romantic languages completely.

Papá is not the same as Papa.

Está is not the same as esta.

Bebés is not the same to bebes.

Mamás is not the same to mamas.

I think it is perfectly comparable.

Edit; Forgot, accents do change the time of the verb too. Hablo is not the same time of Habló.

Not saying just because of this fact we should include accents or umlauts/dieresis, but its kind of unfair saying it is not the same when, actually, it is the same situation. In your case it is kanjis, in ours, dieresis and accents, yet the meaning changes completely because of one little symbol.

Anyways, I agree with Sock, it doesn't seem fair allowing accents and not kanjis, so I'd rather let things stay the way they are. We don't need kanjis to name dragons, nor accents, or Ñ. I've been naming my dragons just fine without them (using spanish names very infrequently, but this is an english speaking site after all).

I believe the inclusion of kanjis to be overly complicated, not because of fowl use, but because most of us do not even have the scripts or drivers, or whatever is needed to view them, it wouldn't look good. Also, even in the cases where we can see the kanjis, they'll look like a bunch of funny images with no meaning to us (codes are not the same, they are a bunch of letters and numbers which DO have a meaning for us).

Since I find it discriminatory to other users, I'd rather see no symbol included at all, no umlauts, no accents, no kanjis.

Edited by DragonNighthowler

Romanic languages, not romantic. (Even though some romanic languages are very strongly associated with romance.) wink.gif

There are also many words in English with more than one meaning. Ball, for example. It can be the toy (football, baseball...) or an event where you dance in your finest clothes. wink.gif There's no way to distinguish one from the other without proper context. We still survive.

Regarding "a slew of boxes" vs. "unnamed": In the case of an unnamed dragon, you will be shown the dragon's code in a lineage. Which, once again, makes it easy to look for inbreeding without the use of a tool. With a slew of boxes, this doesn't work.

Romanic languages, not romantic. (Even though some romanic languages are very strongly associated with romance.) wink.gif

There are also many words in English with more than one meaning. Ball, for example. It can be the toy (football, baseball...) or an event where you dance in your finest clothes. wink.gif There's no way to distinguish one from the other without proper context. We still survive.

Regarding "a slew of boxes" vs. "unnamed": In the case of an unnamed dragon, you will be shown the dragon's code in a lineage. Which, once again, makes it easy to look for inbreeding without the use of a tool. With a slew of boxes, this doesn't work.

Really? In spanish we call them "lenguas románticas", which is why I thought it'd be translated the same. Thanks for the correction. smile.gif

I just looked it up - and hat to find that we're both wrong. Romance languages is the correct term, although "Romanic" is also in use. xd.png I also looked it up in Spanish (on wikipedia). They're called "lenguas romances" or " lenguas románicas". No T in there. wink.gif

I would not change anything. Although it really is tempting to thing about umlauts accents and all of those charakters. (I'm a German speeker as well and I'd totally prefe ä,ö,ü to ae, oe, ue.)

But I totally agree with the argument that it wouldn't be fair to say:

'I would like to use these odd characters so I want to see them added, but I don't think this other language needs to be added.'

Also I prefer names that might be misunderstood to ugly boxes or even to names I could never understand at all. I would hate to see Chinese/Japanese or otherwise foreign letters which don't make any sense to me in the linages of my dragons. sad.gif

I just looked it up - and hat to find that we're both wrong. Romance languages is the correct term, although "Romanic" is also in use. xd.png I also looked it up in Spanish (on wikipedia). They're called "lenguas romances" or " lenguas románicas". No T in there. wink.gif

Lol. Makes sense. Thanks for looking it up. biggrin.gif

I always thought "lenguas románicas" made more sense, but my spanish grammar proffesors in school and highschool insisted on "románticas". Guess I should thank them for misleading me. xd.png

Something as fickle as an accent can change the meaning of a word in romantic languages completely.

Papá is not the same as Papa.

Está is not the same as esta.

Bebés is not the same to bebes.

Mamás is not the same to mamas.

I think it is perfectly comparable.

Edit; Forgot, accents do change the time of the verb too. Hablo is not the same time of Habló.

Not saying just because of this fact we should include accents or umlauts/dieresis, but its kind of unfair saying it is not the same when, actually, it is the same situation. In your case it is kanjis, in ours, dieresis and accents, yet the meaning changes completely because of one little symbol.

No. It is not comparable.

I think you all - living in your Roman alphabet letter world - should really consider that there are people who grow up around other letters/characters first before trying to make a point regarding missing accents.

(codes are not the same, they are a bunch of letters and numbers which DO have a meaning for us)

kWX7F. What is this lineage about?

Mondat - whatever else, do bear in mind that IF you were to get your way, well over half of us would not be able to see your dragon's names AT ALL.

I'd far rather see them in Roman alphabet letters than see a slew of boxes - which could mean that a lineage of yours would end up looking like all the dragons had the same name, or worse. I'd rather see them thinking they were called laundry, to be honest.

I would be satisfied with knowing that I, other people who can see Japanese characters and the people responsible for keeping the "naming peace" (TJ, mods) are ok with it. You all can continue naming your dragons in Roman alphabet letter languages me and others surely have no understanding of - yet you name your dragons how you want.

See what I am doing here?

When I hover with my mouse over dragons in lineages it shows me a little grey field at the bottom left with "dragcave.net/view/code". And when I click on a dragon in a lineage it takes me to the "view" page where I can copy the dragon code.

But I have to admit, I would love to hear how long you usually need for checking inbreeding in case of high-gen breeding projects where all the dragons have similar names or in case of very messy lineages - or what kind of sounds you associate with unnamed dragons (and no, not the "pretty" ones, I mean the really random codes with numbers).

I would support umalauts or whatever and accented letters not so much because they can be used correctly in certain languages and the names but because they are english letters that even if abused wont really confuse someone on the meaning of the name

Yeah it might irk someone to see

Steel the Dragon

written as

Steël the Dragön

Because the original form was taken, but its still the same name. No other language mod, no translator, not confusion. That says steel the dragon even if it is written using accents and such the incorrect way.

I have seen many sites where if it is an English based site, everything in it (the posts, the news, the pages, the names, etc.) must be in english. I think this site is no different. I'm sorry that in Romanji one word could mean Laundry or whatever, but this is an english based site. I don't think we should force the site to revolve around our languages when this is an English only site.

I do not support the use of foreign characters for the sake of personal preference because this is different written in english compared to written in Kanji or any other language. I only support the addition of characters that still resemble english letters such as ÄÅÉÖÜÇÑçüâäàåêéëèïîìôöòûùÿƒáíóúñ. <-- All of those are available as ALT Codes using the ALT key and the side number pad located on most key boards. All of those resemble english letters and can be used in English words even if the accents and such are used incorrectly. That is the only thing I support. Other than that no.

I'm going to re-sort your statements a little for quoting.

kWX7F. What is this lineage about?

"We are all preventing users from having to scroll sideways when the lineage gets longer, and our (names) are all curvy. Also, sprites." xd.png

I think you all - living in your Roman alphabet letter world - should really consider that there are people who grow up around other letters/characters first before trying to make a point regarding missing accents.

I would be satisfied with knowing that I, other people who can see Japanese characters and the people responsible for keeping the "naming peace" (TJ, mods) are ok with it. You all can continue naming your dragons in Roman alphabet letter languages me and others surely have no understanding of - yet you name your dragons how you want.

See what I am doing here?

You might want to consider that you actually signed up on a site that uses nothing but Roman letters in the first place. In order to do so, you must have read (and hopefully understood) the TOS, you must have known where to put username, password, email address etc. You were able to READ stuff. If we (living in our Roman alphabet letter world) were trying to sign up on a Japanese site, we wouldn't even know where to click for signing up. Fact is, everyone who signed up on DC is actually able to read Roman letters. Only a small percentage would be able to read Kanji or other non-Roman scripts, let alone see the differences you mentioned between "choice" and "laundry."

When I hover with my mouse over dragons in lineages it shows me a little grey field at the bottom left with "dragcave.net/view/code". And when I click on a dragon in a lineage it takes me to the "view" page where I can copy the dragon code.

But I have to admit, I would love to hear how long you usually need for checking inbreeding in case of high-gen breeding projects where all the dragons have similar names or in case of very messy lineages - or what kind of sounds you associate with unnamed dragons (and no, not the "pretty" ones, I mean the really random codes with numbers).

Yeah, sure, you can do that with mouse-over, but do you have an idea how LONG that takes? Constant moving your eyes to the cursor to place it on the dragon, then down to where the code shows up, back to the next dragon, back down to where the code shows up - no fun for easy memorizing. There have been quite a bunch of messy lineages that I've checked with eyes only, where a good number of dragons had long lost their names or never had one. I'm usually able to spot inbreeding this way quickly when the lineage is shorter than 12 generations, and I don't need to rely on flaky inbred checkers (eatw) or slow loading websites (aond).

For 12 and longer, I take a little longer because the lineage view only shows 12 gens and I have to check the right-most dragons for their parents - that's when I *might* resort to external checkers.

Edited by Ruby Eyes

Excuse me, but I'd rather that you do NOT talk over people who DO live in a world without the Roman Alphabet. If I remember correctly you're POLISH, which btw, uses the roman alphabet; you're speaking as if you were born in and grew up entirely in Japan. While you do live in Japan and have a Japanese husband and the entire shebang (I'd rather that you stop trying to say how Japanese you are btw) you've not been born and grown up with it, you've best lived in that world since you were 20, and we who actually do grow up and live in the world of non-roman alphabets don't need you to act as an ambassador because we can state our opinions by ourselves, thank you very much. Some of us who have made their voice clear on this forum have said that they do NOT support this. For example:

I'm personally chinese myself, and while this suggestion sounds tempting, I don't think it should be implemented. There are a lot of international users in DC, yet most of the mods are only fluent in English. Even on the forum, posts in another language are deleted because the mods can't understand them. Having things in another language means that swear words might be sneaked into a dragon's name, and it also complicates things.

As a native Korean I do NOT support this either. I do not need to see names being butchered, I do NOT want to see people come up with weird random letters throw haphazardly about and saying it's so ~random and cool~, I do NOT want to see people regard my native tongue as boxes that they cannot see on a computer.

I would be satisfied with knowing that I, other people who can see Japanese characters and the people responsible for keeping the "naming peace" (TJ, mods) are ok with it.

If it was Korean I would be VERY UNHAPPY to see others, who probably take up most of the forum, see my beautifully named dragon as boxes. You know what this leads to? People would probably flock on trading threads or whatever complaining about how they can't see names in "whatever language you speak" or something similar to that and I find that even more offensive. I'd rather not have that at all.

Please, do not speak fover people whose native language, and who actually do and have lived in a world where the roman alphabet isn't used, we can express ourselves quite clearly btw.

And if you have actually interacted with Japanese people who have their own forums and internet websites or whatever to talk about Dragon cave, you'd find that they do just fine using alphabets. The same goes for Koreans who play Dragon cave so I don't see why the Japanese wouldn't do the same.

Unless you're unable to find, or not interacting, with those people, despite your claim to speak for speakers of that language. Lol.

ETA: @_Dragoness_

Also I prefer names that might be misunderstood to ugly boxes or even to names I could never understand at all.
yeah basically. Even if it made sense to me and other Korean speakers I don't want people going like "huh?" at my beautiful language. Even more so if they think it's ugly. Edited by ylangylang

If I, a native English speaker, went to a Japanese site to play their game, I would expect that the language would be Japanese and would not try to add English to the site.

Just like I won't go to, say, Japan, and demand that they speak English! That many probably do is irrelevant. It is their country, it is their language, and if one happens to speak mine great, I might actually be understood, but if they don't.... Its their country, and I'm a visitor.

So. This is an English speaking site. I ask that those who speak a Foreign language grant me and the rest of us who only speak one language the same courtesy I'd give you on a site / country that spoke your language.

So no, sorry, don't support non-Romance characters. And.... I think I'd rather the expanded alphabet also not be used. While it will be used for some names in other languages, mostly it'll be used to get around the "one name per dragon on the site" for English names. And you better believe that I, for one, will be using it for just that purpose.

Cheers!

C4.

If I, a native English speaker, went to a Japanese site to play their game, I would expect that the language would be Japanese and would not try to add English to the site.

Just like I won't go to, say, Japan, and demand that they speak English! That many probably do is irrelevant. It is their country, it is their language, and if one happens to speak mine great, I might actually be understood, but if they don't.... Its their country, and I'm a visitor.

So. This is an English speaking site. I ask that those who speak a Foreign language grant me and the rest of us who only speak one language the same courtesy I'd give you on a site / country that spoke your language.

So no, sorry, don't support non-Romance characters. And.... I think I'd rather the expanded alphabet also not be used. While it will be used for some names in other languages, mostly it'll be used to get around the "one name per dragon on the site" for English names. And you better believe that I, for one, will be using it for just that purpose.

Cheers!

C4.

Agreed.

While I wouldn't mind to have my Ñ or my accents, I've been surviving just fine since 2009 without using them at all, so I'm fine with it. Actually, aside some exceptions, most of my dragons are named in gibberish or in english (like Winter Mage), so, in the name of fairness, we should keep things as they are.

As you very well pointed out, this IS an english speaking site. We knew it when we joined the site.

Cheers!

C4.

I completely agree. in terms of the extended alphabet used to circumvent the one name per dragon limit, I wouldnt mind it personally but I don't know if TJ or other members of DC would feel it as right.

High gens are not the biggest issue. Most people just break out the inbred checkers anyway.

The biggest problem lies with the short lineages, where in the current state people can identify inbreds with a quick glance. Anything that breaks visual inbred identification (such as a bunch of boxes in place of an actual name or code, or duplicate names) will force people to break out the inbred checker on something as low as a 3rd gen checker just to be really sure.

You might want to consider that you actually signed up on a site that uses nothing but Roman letters in the first place. In order to do so, you must have read (and hopefully understood) the TOS, you must have known where to put username, password, email address etc. You were able to READ stuff. If we (living in our Roman alphabet letter world) were trying to sign up on a Japanese site, we wouldn't even know where to click for signing up. Fact is, everyone who signed up on DC is actually able to read Roman letters. Only a small percentage would be able to read Kanji or other non-Roman scripts, let alone see the differences you mentioned between "choice" and "laundry."

I do understand.

However, this is not going to stop me from suggesting things I would like to see.

I can read Japanese, I want Japanese characters - and I do not have to justify myself to anyone for wanting it. And if I want Japanese characters, it would be only fair to allow other foreign characters (where I probably also would have the problem with characters not showing).

That's all I am going to say for now. I made my points, yet they keep being ignored for most of the time & now I am even being accused of saying things I've never said. I have no interest in taking part in such "discussion" and leave this thread and decision to TJ.

But thanks to the people who at least considered it or showed an open mind.