LibbyLishly

Show 2014 Christmas Stories & Play Mana Alchemy

Thing 1: I would like to be able to revisit this year's lovely Christmas stories on-site rather than having to go to the Wiki.

Thing 2: I would dearly love to keep Mana Alchemy as an all-year on-site minigame (though obviously the mana wouldn't get submitted anywhere), maybe even keeping it available somewhere other than under the Christmas event badge so that newcomers can play it as well.

It's certainly not necessary to have either of these, and I am at least glad that I get to keep all my presents, but still, it would be nice.

Edited by LibbyLishly

support for the stories, the were lovely to read.

i'm indifferent on the game

I'd love to keep the ability to send out mini-messages ingame. (And I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that my last teleport to a non-forum member will get picked up.)

I would love it if the stories were added back so that we could read them again (and also see the lovely art that accompanied each story - I loved the Solstice). I wouldn't mind being able to play the mana game as well

Edited by rubyshoes

I'm all for it. Loved the stories, and the mini game that I didn't like at first turned out to be so much fun! I'd love to play it more.

Sure. smile.gif

I wouldn't mind keeping the mana game. ALSO I would LOVE to be able to reread the stories.

Total support for both! The stories are available offsite, but it'd be nice to have them in-cave somewhere. Maybe condense them all down onto one page?

And the Mana Alchemy game was really, REALLY fun. <3

I completely agree. I wasn't able to read them all, and although I know I can read them offsite, it would be great to have them on the cave.

I saved the stories as they came in, as I figured they'd be too much of a distraction on the main site. But the game - yes please !

I'm indifferent on keeping the stories onsite. They're on the Wiki if I want to read them again, which I doubt, but I did enjoy them during the event.

The game I would love to keep forever.. but only if it becomes part of something bigger. Mini-games aren't usually my thing, unless there's a reason for them. I don't need another time-waster type thingie.. I have YouTube for that, LOL.

actually, the game is a ripoff of one of my favorites, alchemy by popcap games. Just google it, and you can likely play indefinitely. smile.gif

also, there at least you get more than the "far to easy" difficulty that was present for the dc raffle. smile.gif

http://www.goriya.com/flash/alchemy.shtml

^ The original game. Now, even though you can play this one any time, our version was a bit different in that that it was more leisurely as there were fewer combinations/colors and thus the dynamic of the game was different.

We get these suggestions every year; I'm wondering if it's time to combine the threads asking to get to keep the holiday events? xP

~

Anyway, I'd rather come up with something non-holiday to add to the site for users to mess around with. There are quite a few good suggestions on various things that fit into DC rather well, IMO, including things like hoarding and racing.

the games are kinda fun way for passing time while you are waiting for things to hatch. I wouldn't care if they had no bearing on the outcome of your scroll. The mana game was quite fun for idling away. I actually rather miss it myself.

I normally don't play games like that - the closest being Bejeweled 3, but it was really fun and a good way to pass the time. I wouldn't mind seeing it return. happy.gif

the games are kinda fun way for passing time while you are waiting for things to hatch. I wouldn't care if they had no bearing on the outcome of your scroll. The mana game was quite fun for idling away. I actually rather miss it myself.

Exactly - something mindless to do onsite to help us get through the waiting, because we spend a lot of time waiting for things like eggs hatching, answers to PM/trade offer, etc.

And it needs to be mindless because a lot of us are insomniacs, lol.

And some of us have no interest in things like racing...

Basic Solitaire would do me - I seriously miss the one I had on Windows 7.

I enjoyed the Mana Alchemy game. I guess in some ways I would love maybe a minigame area for DC. Just maybe 2 or 3 little games that can be played when waiting for eggs to hatch, etc. I don't think any benefits should come from the minigames if it were allowed all year. The purpose should be purely for just fun smile.gif

I enjoyed the Mana Alchemy game. I guess in some ways I would love maybe a minigame area for DC. Just maybe 2 or 3 little games that can be played when waiting for eggs to hatch, etc. I don't think any benefits should come from the minigames if it were allowed all year. The purpose should be purely for just fun smile.gif

That is actually a really great suggestion. I know individual games have been requested, but has a comprensive mingame area been propsed yet? I would totally support that.

Edited by LibbyLishly

Something that could be accessed through a link on our scrolls would be especially great, very handy - help keep us awake through waiting periods, lol.

But one issue is that virtually all simple time-waster games seem to have been done already at some point and with the patenting craze, is it possible to have any that don't require paying 14 different sources because of common uses?

*knows nothing about this stuff except that it seems to be a problem*

Something that could be accessed through a link on our scrolls would be especially great, very handy - help keep us awake through waiting periods, lol.

But one issue is that virtually all simple time-waster games seem to have been done already at some point and with the patenting craze, is it possible to have any that don't require paying 14 different sources because of common uses?

*knows nothing about this stuff except that it seems to be a problem*

Hmmmmm.... this is actually a good point and I DON'T know how much of a problem it would be.

That is to say, I don't know all the legal ins and outs of that, and I don't know how much it would end up costing to pay said sources if that were necessary. It might BE that the whole thing would be more of a legal pain and expense than would be feasible.

That said, again, I don't know for sure.

Wouldn't it be easier to just link to good free games here ? Bubbleshooter. The balloon popping game I got on a Christmas e-card... Tetris...

Edited by fuzzbucket

Wouldn't it be easier to just link to good free games here ? Bubbleshooter. The balloon popping game I got on a Christmas e-card... Tetris...

Easier? Yes. But I specifically want DC-oriented minigames. That's among the reasons why I love the mana alchemy - the mana is specific to newly-discovered DC lore. smile.gif

Easier? Yes. But I specifically want DC-oriented minigames. That's among the reasons why I love the mana alchemy - the mana is specific to newly-discovered DC lore. smile.gif

Another thing is, when I wound up with Windows 8, the Solitaire available on 7 wasn't added, so I went to a game site to keep a game handy, and it really slowed my computer.

It was surprisingly draggy for a static game not even in use at the time, while the mana game seemed to make no difference at all.

Another thing is, when I wound up with Windows 8, the Solitaire available on 7 wasn't added, so I went to a game site to keep a game handy, and it really slowed my computer.

It was surprisingly draggy for a static game not even in use at the time, while the mana game seemed to make no difference at all.

I can send you that if you want ninja.gif I also HATE the SPIDER that came with XP and went back to the previous one !

game concepts cannot be copyrighted/patented, so anyone can make free copies of existing games, but:

it must have a different name (not true for mana alchemy as it uses as part the original name), since in most cases thats a registered name.

it must have a slightly differing gameplay (so if the original field is e.g. 9x9, making it 9x10 suffices)

it needs to have, of course, its own artwork and not reuse any coding from the original. Also, some input specials (c.f. to the UIs of Starcraft 2 or World of Warcraft) can not be copied verbatim.

the bigger games are, the harder they are to copy - due to the lore connected which might be an important factor, and can not at all be reused, as it is IP of the other game company. But it would totally be possibly to create a game that plays almost exactly like say, dragonage, in the dc world, without fear of consequences if those rules are kept.

---

Now that that's said, I believe that minigames that have nothing to do with the rest, that's kinda like the encyclopedia: Well, its ok-ish, but I'd greatly prefer a permanent feature to be more connected to my scroll, or the dragons in the cave/wild/graveyard.