Sundew

Spriter's alts for non-holiday dragons

I'm nervous about the reaction this suggestion will get, but it's one I've been in favor of for a while and I am curious about the public opinion on more spriter's alts.

There are several large issues with how this idea would, practically, be implemented, especially regarding existing dragon breeds.

This idea is currently pretty poorly developed; a lot needs to be done. I'm sure there are more problems than I've addressed.

Pros

• More spriter's alts to collect offspring from.
  • More pretty sprites.
  • Possible better artist recognition.
Cons
  • More spriter's alts to collect offspring from.
  • Possible harassment of artists
  • Some breeds with non-spriter's alts might have complications.
  • More hassle for TJ, who manually makes the dragons alt
Current issues:
  • Maximum number of alts per spriter
  • Conceptors receiving (or not) alts
  • There are other issues, too, but those were the biggest I could think of.
Would this affect previously released breeds?

Yes. If an artist wanted to create an alt of a breed for which they are already credited, I think it should be able to make it in-cave. 2009's Snow Angels were--if I remember correctly--the first holidays to receive spriter's alts, yet 2008's Yulebucks were also given alts. I don't see a reason why non-holiday breeds should be treated differently.

I'm strongly against this affecting only new releases. I think older breeds should be given spriter's alts if the artists want them.

Is there a maximum number of alts per spriter?

I'm inclined to say no. There's no limit on how many spriter's alts an artist can have for Halloween, and the limits on Christmas and Valentine's alts exist just to match the limits already in place.

The issue here is whether or not artists would be able to collect normal CBs of their breed. Collecting normal bred eggs is easy enough, but what if you're the artist of an unbreedable species? What if your alts made it impossible to complete a lineage you wanted to work on?

I think this is the biggest issue with the idea right now.

Do conceptors of breeds receive alts?

That's something for conceptors and spriters to decide between themselves. Artists would need to give permission for conceptors to either create their own recolored alts or be willing to create one for the conceptor. This is something that would need to be discussed between conceptors and artists.

Regarding maximum number of alts per breed per scroll

Artists should, IMO, be able to collect normal CBs of their dragon. But I also don't see a reason why they should have a limited number of alts.

Possibly, all CB eggs created within 7 days of the dragon's release (or the release of the alt, if talking about an older breed) would hatch as alts if on the spriter's scroll.

The major issue with artists only collecting alt CBs would be the unbreedables--it'd be impossible to have a ND/Cheese/Paper/Dino with a normal sprite if you were an artist.

Alts would be optional--I think it'd be okay for one artist to have an alt and another to just have normal sprites, if that's what they wanted--but I think it'd be fair for artists to be able to collect both sprites.

Let me know what you think. I don't know whether or not spriter's alts for non-holiday (or prize) breeds are practical, but I would love to see them in cave if it was possible.

Edited by ab613

I'm conflicted. On the one hand, as someone with a non-holiday breed in-cave I stand to gain from this, and I'd absolutely adore a white Pyralspite.

On the other, it feels excessive and a little silly and that'd be a lot of spriter alts floating around.

Edited by TheCompleteAnimorph

I absolutely do not support this. Normal releases are inherently different from holiday releases in a lot of ways I can't go into.

Yeaaahhh I wouldn't be a fan of this either. I don't particularly feel the need to have any more spriter alts than the ones that artists get through holiday releases.

There really isn't a need for this. No support from me.

Spriter's alts should stay spriter's alts... The alts are a reward for the time, work and effort they put into the site... Maybe I'm reading this wrong, I have a headache and I'm tired... You want the alts dropping in the cave? If that's it, I don't like that idea on principle. Anyway, I'm a little confused..

Edited by MedievalMystic

Spriter's alts should stay spriter's alts... The alts are a reward for the time, work and effort they put into the site... Maybe I'm reading this wrong, I have a headache and I'm tired... You want the alts dropping in the cave? If that's it, I don't like that idea on principle. Anyway, I'm a little confused..

They're suggesting that non-holiday releases have spriter's alts.

Which is tempting but no.

Spriter's alts should stay spriter's alts... The alts are a reward for the time, work and effort they put into the site... Maybe I'm reading this wrong, I have a headache and I'm tired... You want the alts dropping in the cave? If that's it, I don't like that idea on principle.

No, they're suggesting people who sprite normal release dragons (ex whites, tsunamis, sunsongs) should get spriter's alts too.

I think it makes sense (they do the same work as holiday dragon spriters, after all), but I'd rather not see it happen for the admittedly shameful reason of it would make the already near impossible task of collecting offspring from them all even more impossible. OTL

They're suggesting that non-holiday releases have spriter's alts.

Ah, ok! Thank you. Well, I'd say that would be up to the artists themselves if they wanted that or not.

No, they're suggesting people who sprite normal release dragons (ex whites, tsunamis, sunsongs) should get spriter's alts too.

Ah, well...again...I guess it would be up to the artists to go for it if that's what they wanted...

Edited by MedievalMystic

Considering the first 4 posts here were all in-cave artists expressing, in order, "Tempting but no", "Nope", "Nah", and "Why even", I think we know.

While I adore the thought of pretty alternate palettes and stuff, I think it's fine the way it is now. Collecting Spriter's Alts' offspring is already a pretty daunting goal in itself just concerning Holiday dragons. Though I'd love some pretty 2G or Even Gen babies from them, it's pretty hard. I can see it being even harder to get offspring from a wider number of them. I mean, if I never do, no big deal, but you see what I'm getting at.

But I guess that's really up to the people involved in the spriting process... :0

Actually, it's always bugged me that only holiday releases get spriter's alts. Holiday releases and non-holiday releases have never seemed particularly different to me (regarding the actual release of a dragon, not the events surrounding it or the behavior of the breed). Thus, I absolutely support this. I feel like all the site's artists deserve special credit, not just the few who have made a holiday release.

Even if I know I'll never, ever get a spriter's alt because I don't sprite. wink.gif

In the meantime, I know from Odeen's comment that there is more than meets the eye to making a holiday sprite. However, since I don't know all there is to know about it, I'm merely going off of what I do know. And until I have information that contradicts that, I can only support this suggestion. *Shrug*

For reasons already stated, I'm going to mimic 'tempting but no'. I understand the thought behind this, but holidays are such a stressful time and the competition is so secretive - it's a lot of pressure and stress on artists and I think alts are fine for that. They're also fun for the limited release. Normal releases, however, I feel alts could get out of hand. Most the issues I feel that would complex this are already listed in the first post.

I just think it would make things too complex and also make releases more time consuming for TJ to support this.

I am not in favor of this either. It's been suggested somewhere else before and I said no then too. As Socky said, I think there would be uncomfortable complications.

For reasons already stated, I'm going to mimic 'tempting but no'. I understand the thought behind this, but holidays are such a stressful time and the competition is so secretive - it's a lot of pressure and stress on artists and I think alts are fine for that. They're also fun for the limited release. Normal releases, however, I feel alts could get out of hand. Most the issues I feel that would complex this are already listed in the first post.

I just think it would make things too complex and also make releases more time consuming for TJ to support this.

Exactly this. It would be nice, but it just isn't feasible.

Not really?....Idk I just don't see a point. And from what I understand the choosing process between holiday dragons and "normal" dragons are different so...

Also, regarding the maximum number of alts issue: remember that TJ has to alt each dragon manually. If there was no limit, it would be impossible for him to keep up.

Nah, not for normal releases and stuff. I think a lot of artists already get a lot from normal releases because that's how many get their little artist easel and join the crowd of official DC spriters. That and just, in general, there doesn't seem to be a lot of desire for it from most players. I think time would be better spent coding other improvements to the site and such.

I kind of like that it's restricted to holiday dragons because it makes them all the more special. If there was tons floating around, then we'd all have their offspring and they wouldn't be worth as much.

It would also become kind of redundant. One of the cool surprises surrounding holiday breeds is what, not just the dragon will look like, but what the artist will do to it to make it their own. If this was happening every month, it would just be boring. And if it happened to all the released breeds (which sounds kind of staggering if you think about it) then each one would just get lost in the crowd.

There would simply be too many alts if it wasn't restricted to holiday dragons.

Also, if we're looking for personal opinions... I don't want there to be more things I can't have. wink.gif

While it would be kinda neat to see altered versions of more common dragons at the base of a lineage and also give the less favored breeds more recognition I think it'd bring down that special value of seeing the Holiday alts.

That being said it doesn't mean that you can't find a common dragon with an amazing lineage. It just makes it that more interesting and fun for those who enjoy a good challenge.

My final vote: 80% against it.

I think there are to many alts already. Each holiday breed should have one alt, and that for all those the main artist sees fit to include (note: this could be a spriter, sketcher, conceptor...)

Alts give a lot of trade power into the hands of people who already are quite influential on dc, while introducing stuff one can never have. Currently this happens 3 times a year - imagine 20 times? No, thanks, and i am someone who probably could afford to buy them all.

Also, as collectibles in cave, they'd put a lot of stress on the artists to get more, in order to trade/gift/do whatever is their hobby more.

This would be a really nice gesture for TJ to offer to spriters, as long as it wasn't mandatory. If they've done the work to create a sprite for the site, they should get the choice to have their own personal alt. It'd be (potentially excruciating amounts of) extra work to implement so I don't think it will get accepted as a feature, but I still think it's a nice idea.

I really like the thought behind this, but I would have to say no. It not something that a person can gain out of IMO...

But if people want their own alts, who am I to judge? smile.gif

Im... Conflicted. Ive thought about this before but Ive never come to a conclusion on what I think would be best.

On one hand, I think all artists deserve an alt because they worked hard on the new dragon regardless if its a holiday or not.

But on the other hand, I dont think I would like to see all these spriters alts around...

Anyone else feel this way?

No, definitely no. Spriter's alts should stay restricted to holiday-only, as they always have been. If spriter's alts were allowed for normal releases, they'd be everywhere, and, like PieMaster said, it'd be difficult for TJ to keep up with them all.