MessengerDragon

Solstice Sprites

Don't like the blue wings as much; the red hues gave the sprite more depth.

Don't like exclusivity in sprites; would've preferred they act like Luminas and gone back to normal after a set time.

Don't care I'm fortunate enough to have the exclusive sprites, I empathize with the frustration of not being able to collect certain things.

Don't like that this makes some planned lineages not-so-great looking without the sprite's red hues to tie in.

So all-in-all, I'm not very fond of the change, no. Think it would've been better if the sprites alternated by chance like a 'regular' alt, or by year, by a set time, by what their parents were, etc. That way the blue-wings would still be out there but it wouldn't be impossible for those who want to collect the red-wings. There are so many other options available that would've had happier results.

I have only recently heard of this change and I must say, I am very disappointed.

I was looking forward to collecting the holiday dragons of the past years. In fact, the Solstices were one of the most beautiful in my opinion. Now that I have heard the news and seen the new sprite, they became one of my least favourite. I think the sunset wings made the dragons so beautiful. They look very dull to me when they are just plain blue. But as some have already pointed out: perhaps I am just one of the people who really expected to get a "original" Solstice.

I think it is unfair towards players if they can't collect the "original" sprites. I think it is also unfair towards breeders who wanted to make lineages that are now going to look "less pretty" because of this change. If I understand this correctly, drama like this has occured before when the Bright Pinks and Frills were pulled of the site. It feels like nothing has been learned from those dramas and history is repeating itself.

But I think the most disappointing part of this whole matter is that this change has not been announced. Players should receive word of what's going to happen. If this was announced before, we could have been prepared and thus the drama would be a lot less.

"I thought somebody else already told you" is a bad excuse. As a site administrator you should be aware of what's being posted by you and your team. Perhaps it's a suggestion to make better arrangements next time, so you know for sure if someone is going to announce something or not.

I feel like I have a lot more to discuss, but it is nighttime here and I am getting tired. I also feel like a lot of people have about the same opinion as me so I think I need to say no more. I stand behind what those people said.

Listen to what the community has to say TJ. Lots of people don't seem to like the new Solstice idea. I think that should ring a bell. Something about the idea had to change and I really think some of these suggestions could solve a lot, so please listen to the players before making the normal Solstice sprite exclusive.

I found the Solstice dragons the prettiest, but am glad I caught the CBs, so I don't care for this change either way, personally, except for the act that a lineage is now kinda messed up due to the blue wings.

A sudden epiphany: I'm not going to spend more time arguing against this, because it's the same argument me (and others) have made regarding all the other stupid exclusives and, clearly, it made no difference in the end. People have spent literal years crying for Old Pinks and Frills to be returned and what we get in the end is another exclusive. Freakin' fantastic.

Exclusives on a site that seems to emphasize collecting them all (we have the encyclopedia and trading for a reason, don't we?) ruins the fun for some who miss out, whether they be newer players or not, and IMO has no positives to negate that huge negative. It reduces the "gotta collect 'em all" drive for me because, frankly, you CAN'T collect 'em all, and it adds stress in the form of thinking an easy paced game that will always be around, much the same as when you left it, may in fact steal away your chance to collect pretty sprites for time immemorial. Way to go the route of every other adoptables site, DC.

So, nope, not happy about this at all. People will dismiss my feelings as being whiny, unappreciative, etc, because that's how the forums tend to go around here. Heaven forbid that people should be upset about not being able to collect certain things on a COLLECTIBLES site when a thousand other alternatives could've been implemented instead...

The Solstice has always been my fave, it's just so striking and gorgeous. A mix of warm and cool, a perfect mix for the season. The new version is still a striking dragon, and still my fave, design wise but I am sad to see the color change in the bred ones. They've lost their warmth and contrast.

It will definitely change my lineage projects for them. I was planning eg checkers with my Pyralspite dragons, to play up those stunning sunset hues. Time to draw up new plans. laugh.gif

I do like the suggestion of a BSA to help influence the possible color outcome in bred ones.

That being said, I think both versions are so beautiful, and well done, I just like the original a bit more.

I agree with this, 100%. The new ones are lovely, but don't compare to the original. That bit of warm color really makes them pop.

I bred my original with a mate that I chose because of the pink in the wings. Next year, I'd planned to use the same colour mate - it's not going to look the same with a fully blue solstice. I prefer the orginals.

Wish I had known about the new sprite before I bred. I had planned lineages with black teas and pyralspites but the all blue sprite just does not look the same. Bummer, I feel like this is a "wasted year" breeding wise. sad.gif

I don't like this just like many. Despite getting CB Solstices myself, exclusives like this are just... oof. Holidays only being CB for one day, prize dragons, alt Sweetlings, Snow Angel variants, discontinued breeds; just another thing to add to the list of issues with the "collect 'em all" thing. The sprite, though, looks good.

Even not liking this, I wanna try to get people to look at the good side. What about lineages you can do that you previously couldn't with these? If you caught CBs last year, feel lucky! Try to look at what makes this new sprite beautiful! Plus, I've heard there are numerous threads having solutions to the problem. We've all had enough time to complain, and complaining is ok! But now I think we should start looking at solutions.

I think this is a cute surprise! I feel bad for those who are let down! sad.gif(All this time later and I'm still grumpy about the old gold sprites of all things so I kinda know the feel.) On the other hand I can't help thinking this kind of thing pretty neat - so thanks for thinking up this way for us to have both sprites out there. <3

If you caught CBs last year, feel lucky!

I don't and never will feel lucky that I've been given an unfair advantage over new players, because I know exactly how I'd feel in their situation.

I don't and never will feel lucky that I've been given an unfair advantage over new players, because I know exactly how I'd feel in their situation.

How exaclty is it an unfair advantage? Because you started playing before they did therefore you were here for the release? They're still getting the sprite just different colors honestly people why the hell is it such a big deal?

I would prefer them to be pulled just so everyone can shut up and stop this unnecessary drama

How exaclty is it an unfair advantage? Because you started playing before they did therefore you were here for the release? They're still getting the sprite just different colors honestly people why the hell is it such a big deal?

I would prefer them to be pulled just so everyone can shut up and stop this unnecessary drama

Then people would just complain about them being pulled. And complain, and complain some more.

I definitely agree though. Seriously guys, it's not the end of the world.

I was a bit surprised when I first saw the new sprite, but I don't hate it. I kinda like the light blue, feels like a winter day verses a winter sunset. I think it's a nice surprise

They're being given a different sprite, as it has different colors. It's unfair that I get access to the sun-tinted one and others don't.

Honestly they're pretty sprites either way, and I'd love to have both on my scroll but there's hardly any difference so it's not such a big deal.

But this is dragon cave so people are going to make a huge deal out of it.

Whoah I just noticed this as my solstices started growing up.

I...can't say I like this too much. The blue wings are nice, but now this is not the dragon I've come to love anymore.

Plus lineages with them will no longer look the same - and I chose 2 mates to checker solstices with specifically to compliment the red hue. Now, that's gone. (<-this is what I'm mainly peeved about xd.png)

Really hope that this is either a glitch or that we'd be able to breed the normal-colored solstices somehow again. (Maybe if they're bred on a winter solstice day or something? ahaha)

The issue over this, that some folks seem to be missing, is that the change was not announced until this year's hatchlings started to grow up, and not be what pretty much everyone expected. For those of us who work hard on our lineages and trade based on how well we combine our dragons, it really is a hard pill to swallow. It changes how we play with this particular dragon. We've had high hopes for a year to make checkers and other cool things with other breeds that just really, really meshed with the rosy hues of the sprite that was introduced last year. Many of us traded and hunted hard to get this breed of egg, and honestly, the sort we were after weren't always easy to come by. Not complaining, but I traded away several hollies and other things I could have used for other projects to get four (now five, thanks to a kind soul who will get her just rewards!) solstices from brutes, and finally caught one from a sunsong, because I love the colors of both breeds together. I'm not alone in that. Now that the sprite is changed, it feels to those who put so much effort toward their goals, that that time and energy was wasted because we don't like how the new sprite looks with the breeds we used as the base of our projects. Those who don't play that way don't get it, and that's fine. But just because your play style is different and you're not concerned with the same things that others are, doesn't mean it shouldn't matter one way or the other. It does matter.

Yes, it's Odeen's and TJ's right to change the sprite. Very few of us who aren't terrifically happy with this are arguing with that fact, and many of us will support spriters and TJ too, on other things. It's not hate, just dismay really, for the lack of warning. If it's been a Thing from the very start, great. However, a simple note last year, saying "Hey, this dragon won't look like this next year, so get it NOW," would probably have gone a long way toward easing a lot of hurt feelings this year.

We all have three days, every year, to get two of the holiday eggs. Some just can't get online in that time frame to get them, and I feel for them deeply. If ever I get to choose an honorary prize, it will more than likely be a CB black marrow that I will promptly name, "I HATE MY ISP FOR SHUTTING DOWN ON FREAKIN' OCTOBER 31st THE YEAR MARROWS CAME OUT," (never mind that's way longer than 32 characters xd.png ). But the vast majority of us do manage to get on and snag our two holidays, every year at this time. For those of us whose playing style is breeding/trading/etc., being given a heads-up about color shift would have given us the option to decide whether or not we wanted to hoard as many 2nd-gen solstii this year, or at least, plan the lineages we wanted and hunted or bred accordingly.

Edited by blackdragon71

I don't mind the surprise. The all blue is far more beautiful in my opinion. I do think though, my heartseeker and solstice checker will not look the same with the new colors. I might not continue building that...

Closing as I need to read and deal with the list of reports.

Reminding members rant/vent topics are not allowed in SD.

(Everyone should be able to voice an opinion without personal attacks or accusations towards any members.)

Edit to add. I will reopen this topic after Christmas, necessary warns will be giving after Christmas.

Edited by _Z_

Reopening.

Please remember to voice your opinion without personal attacks or accusations

I'm pretty embarrassed to say that I didn't notice any changes until I visited this thread. Then I viewed the lineage of a Solstice I bred this Christmas and noticed she lacked the extra pretty colors on her wings. :'D

While I personally enjoy the "sunset" colors on the wings more, I'm very cool with the blue ones too. I'm just relieved that I have both.

I never noticed there was a change at all until I moved the bred ones I was given/caught form the AP into place on my scroll next to my 2 CBs. I thought it was a glitch & came here looking to see if it was. That said, I happen to like both, but I fail to see what all the drama is about. To me they look like the same sprite except for a MINOR variation in color. It's not like black alts where it's 2 completely different sprites, or even the like the newer Undines, where you have the same sprite with 2 different color variations so they look different. I also don't feel like one is more special than the other & I even traded for one that's a 2nd gen with a pink pyralspite (sp?) parent. That one is actually more special cuz now my scroll is related to my friend's. biggrin.gif

So I for one am glad we got a chance to get a different color variation & that bred ones (think of them as domesticated as opposed to wild caught cb one) will be different. biggrin.gif I like to think of it as evolution in action on my scroll. biggrin.gif So I hoep they're nto changed or anything.