TJ09

2014-09-20 - September Release

I love that they tell pyralspite garnets apart by the taste!

I think the variations in the markings and shading make up for the lack of dimorphism - after all, they're related species so they're going to look somewhat similar to each other.

Nice choice for the September release - Thanks TJ, Process and TCA for all your hard work.

I remember Process's original sprite and I have to say I'm crazy bummed that its beautiful colors and markings aren't there anymore. Ah, well. The edited sprites still look okay.

The Spessartine is definitely my preferred variant biggrin.gif Really like the name 'Pyralspite' too, so overall this was one of my favorite releases!

I love these dragons! biggrin.gif The pink ones are my favourite. The pink with the black underbelly looks awesome! I'm a bit disappointed that they don't have dimorphism, since I assumed they did, given how many were in TJ's original post. But they're very pretty and I'm looking forward to grabbing myself a few more. Thanks TJ and spriters! smile.gif

The adults are very nice, I like the orange colors over the pinks... Not my favorite dragons though...they're pretty, but a tad spindly and delicate looking for me... But I'm certainly not disappointed. They should all make some lovely lineages! smile.gif

Different personalities for every alt? YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. This makes me so insanely happy. No really. You have no idea.

The sprites are lovely. Gotta say that my favorite stage is hatchie s2, but the adults have some beautiful colors going on and I'm excited by the lineage-building possibilities.

Many congrats, TheCompleteAnimorph & Process! These are fabulous. smile.gif

Edited by LibbyLishly

Congrats on your babies, TCA! It is times like these I am glad to remember dragons from the CL, so TJ's trick didn't catch me like others. Pyralspites are beautiful, I enjoy their svelte elegance and will collect them for sure smile.gif

Also I see that white Pyralspite avatar.

Totally knew what they were called xd.png

I like the red more than Pink and orange but that may just be me o3o

Now to make some checkers!

Those adults look amazing! Congrats on a great release, TheCompleteAnimorph and Process! smile.gif

I love the descriptions of the various alts!!

Edited by LumosSeeker148

The adults are very nice, I like the orange colors over the pinks...  Not my favorite dragons though...they're pretty, but a tad spindly and delicate looking for me...  But I'm certainly not disappointed.  They should all make some lovely lineages!  smile.gif

They are slim, maybe, but something tells me they'd be stronger than they look.

I agree that they will make some nice lineages, though. Congrats to the sprites, getting their babies in Cave.

Edited by Silverswift

Oh they're very beautiful. Nice job!!

I also enjoy the slight alterations in the descriptions for each of the alternate colors. Like that each color has its own personality

so how's the breeding of these guys gonna go

My theory is that it will be something along the lines of what happens with coppers.

That may be wrong, of course.

Knew it biggrin.gif Yay xd.png I like being able to tell by knowing too much about gemstones xd.png

*cuddles garnet based dragons* Birthstone biggrin.gif

Very nice adults, although I'm a bit disapointed that there's no dimorphism... I fell for it too. ^^ I love that there's a (slightly) different description for each variant.

I like the Pyrope's colours best, but I can't wait to build a male Spessartine X female Gold-horned Tanger checker. ohmy.gif

Forgot to add: thank you spriters for the hard work! xd.png

Edited by Aleoleo

-whispering homestuck in the distance-

It's almost undeniably sooo, more proof if you look at the spriters names for the hatchies ^^

Is it just me or has this been an incredibly stingy drop? Normally it gets easier a day or two into the drop of new eggs to get them but that has not been my experience at all this time.

Honestly? I love, love, LOVE the fact that these new dragons don't have dimorphism, mainly because so many dragons (both in-cave and concepts) that exhibit dimorphism tend to have the big, strong, and aggressive male sprites and the smaller, weak, and non-agressive female sprites. The black dragons are one of the best examples of this. They're supposed to be warriors and the female sprite doesn't fit this description at all. And don't even get me started on that freaking alt black female sprite; that view from the back with the head turned to stare at you is basically the go-to "sexy woman" pose and these are DRAGONS. There are lots of other dragons like that as well. For starters, look at your golden wyverns, golds, coppers, undines, and soulpeaces and you'll see what I mean.

A good way to test this is to look at your favorite dragon breed that exhibits dimorphism and mentions nothing about gender differences in the breed description. Now imagine that TJ switched the sprites and your male dragons now have the former female sprite. If you would complain that your males now look weak, not strong enough, not aggressive enough, etc. then there's a problem with the sprites for that breed since that breed description says nothing about males being stronger than the females. If the description specifically states that males are larger or stronger than females, then the sprites do fit the breed. The problem here is that the only stated female-dominant dragons are Hellfire Wyverns (although it is strongly suggested with Hellhorses) but there are lots of species that are male-dominant.

tl;dr I am quite leery of gender dimorphism on DC because it seems to strongly conform to the concept of a male-dominant species and often uses human ideas about gender roles to depict dragons, even when the description mentions absolutely nothing about stronger males or gender differences. DC dimorphism can be done well where both male and female dragons of the same breed have sprites that show similar characteristics and fit the breed description but it often isn't done like this (again, just look at female black dragons for an example of female sprites that don't match the breed description).

On a more positive note, awesome job artists and concept creators! These dragons are really neat and have unique descriptions for each variation. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif