TJ09

2014-09-20 - September Release

Also, birds. Lots of bird species have larger females than males. (And I think this is also the case for some (most?) reptile species, too.)

Many insects have larger females than males, notably many butterflies and moths. The females need to be larger and carry more energy in order to produce more and healthier eggs. The males' size means nothing, he is just there to fertilize her clutch.

Interestingly, in the case of stag beetles (with the fighting males), the size of the male means nothing when breeding-- it is the size of the female that is important: a large female creates large male babies. The size of the male only helps him fight rival males to get the opportunity to breed, but he does not pass his size to his offspring.

As for dragons, I suppose they can follow any rule we like, as they follow the laws of magic. Right?

I miss the dimorphism too and promise not to go on a libber-rant about it. But male animals ARE bigger than females to compete FOR the female.

This is from human's viewpoint, and this is not true. Even humans are not entirely dimorphic. There are animals with identical male and female and animals have sexual dimorphism. All of those have to compete for reproduction, but those that have dimorphism have relatively more limitations, more "flaws" in single sex. This is a more "focused" tactic for reproduction, but also in a way, a more unbalance one, both sex have to play their limited role carefully.

Making the description of a breed stating that the male is larger is not something mandatory.

If the spriter(s) of a certain dragon want the male to be larger and not add that in the description, they most certainly have the right. Besides, when the male or female of a breed is larger/smaller, everyone can already see that, so why is it so necessary to add it in a description, as well?

Not to mention, why is everybody so against the male being larger?

The male can definitely be larger in some species but when there are far more DC species with large males than large females it's a bit problematic. Remember, DC dragons are magical creatures. They can be any way we like since they are magical creatures so why are so many species dominated by males? In reality the only class of organisms that consists of mainly male-dominant species is mammalia. And dragons lay eggs, so they are definitely not mammals (excluding the platypus and echidnas, which dragons are also not based on).

The male can definitely be larger in some species but when there are far more DC species with large males than large females it's a bit problematic.

And why is that? How does that affect the game? What negative consequences does it bring upon users?

And why is that? How does that affect the game? What negative consequences does it bring upon users?

Not at all - but there is frequently discussion of male vs female sprites and how male sprites often seem to SOME people here to be drawn as in some way superior.

Sorry if its been explained already but wondering how 9 eggs changed to just 3 adults with no gender differences? Making at most 6 eggs? There were 9 on the front page but now theres just 6. Confused.com

Edited by Tamakin

Not to mention, why is everybody so against the male being larger?

I don't know, but I prefer a larger male. I rather see a male that's capable of defending his territory, mate and offspring. That's generally going to be the larger, stronger alpha animal.

I don't know, but I prefer a larger male. I rather see a male that's capable of defending his territory, mate and offspring. That's generally going to be the larger, stronger alpha animal.

There are plenty of animals in the wild where the female is bigger(I actually think males being bigger is the exception, not the rule here), as often the male leaves and the female is left to defend the young herself. They also need to be bigger to actually be able to raise young.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual_dimorp...ales_than_males

Of course, there are dragons that do meet the exception, but like the black dragons mentioned earlier, there is no mentions of the females being less aggressive that I know of. (though at the same time I don't have an issue with their dimorphism sprites...)

Edited by lindsy95

Sorry if its been explained already but wondering how 9 eggs changed to just 3 adults with no gender differences? Making at most 6 eggs? There were 9 on the front page but now theres just 6. Confused.com

There wasn't any dimorphism after all: TJ had extra adults just to trick us. Once they grew up, he eventually removed the duplicates from the first post.

I love dimorphism. Having a freshly matured batch of single-image adults to sort and trying to remember which ones are male and which are female is a royal pain. What I wouldn't give for a little corner-notch or gender symbol on the tiles themselves.

QFT. Dimorphism gives us an extra sprite, which I'm always for, but it also makes sorting and keeping track of gender ratios much easier.

There are plenty of animals in the wild where the female is bigger(I actually think males being bigger is the exception, not the rule here), as often the male leaves and the female is left to defend the young herself. They also need to be bigger to actually be able to raise young.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual_dimorp...ales_than_males

Yes. I'm well aware of that, but I would think that dragons would generally raise their offspring together so the larger male can guard while the female nurtures. A smaller size to the female will also tend to make her swifter, enabling her to keep up with the rambunctious babies.

Edited by Sir Barton

Not at all - but there is frequently discussion of male vs female sprites and how male sprites often seem to SOME people here to be drawn as in some way superior.

I don't think they mean that the male is superior, just that it is often the more interesting sprite of the two. To me, it often appears to be a case of "Oh, yeah. I guess I want dimorphism. Better make a female sprite." Oftentimes, I prefer the male sprite to the female one for this reason. With the Pyralspites, both sexes are equally interesting to look at because they feature a pose that shows off their entire body (as opposed to their back or just a partial profile) and they all share the same bright coloring.

Edited by Jazeki

I personally prefer them to be identical, it feels more complete as an individual. None of both should be too strong or weak. For, for example, an aggressive female might kill her mate for her own good, thus threat those of her own species; or a stronger male might willing to do anything in order to keep his position, thus put himself in danger. But living is dangerous.

I don't think they mean that the male is superior, just that it is often the more interesting sprite of the two. To me, it often appears to be a case of "Oh, yeah. I guess I want dimorphism. Better make a female sprite." Oftentimes, I prefer the male sprite to the female one for this reason. With the Pyralspites, both sexes are equally interesting to look at because they feature a pose that shows off their entire body (as opposed to their back or just a partial profile) and they all share the same bright coloring.

This. YES. In most of the dragon request threads I look through, the first sketch and sprite done end up as the male and the female sprite is sometimes regarded as an afterthought with far more work being put into the male sprite than the female sprite.

There wasn't any dimorphism after all: TJ had extra adults just to trick us. Once they grew up, he eventually removed the duplicates from the first post.

huh.gif I can't see any point in doing this. If there is no dimorphism, fine, but why not just keep the 9 eggs? It's not funny or witty, either. Oh well.

Are people still seeing these commonly? I only have two and each time I look I can't find any

I think you have to actually sit in a biome and look for them. When I was just clicking through the three biomes to see if I could catch one between the five minute drops, there were none. But when I stayed in a particular biome for an extended amount of time (15+ minutes), I was able to see them.

huh.gif  I can't see any point in doing this. If there is no dimorphism, fine, but why not just keep the 9 eggs? It's not funny or witty, either. Oh well.

These dragons apparently share many of the same characteristics as a troll character from Homestuck. It's trolling for a troll. biggrin.gif And it has been pretty funny to see people freaking out because of a lack of dimorphism. I mean, even without dimorphism wouldn't you still want to collect a female and male of each kind for scroll completion and/or purebred breeding pairs?

Are people still seeing these commonly? I only have two and each time I look I can't find any

I just grabbed four out of the Volcano. I think it's just the luck of the draw right now because of people trying to load up on them.

These dragons apparently share many of the same characteristics as a troll character from Homestuck. It's trolling for a troll. biggrin.gif And it has been pretty funny to see people freaking out because of a lack of dimorphism. I mean, even without dimorphism wouldn't you still want to collect a female and male of each kind for scroll completion and/or purebred breeding pairs?

I'm not freaking out, and I have - of course, and I hope - set myself up to have matched pairs. I just LIKE dimorphism. And because of how TJ set out his eggs, I was expecting it and I do admit that I am disappointed. That isn't the same as freaking out.

And as Sir Barton said - it DOES make sorting that much faster biggrin.gif

If you are still trying to get new eggs from the alpine (so many people seem to be unable to grab alpine ones) there aren't very many people there compared to how many there were yesterday. Now might be a good time to try.

I couldn't care less how many new eggs TJ has on his scroll. It's his game and he plays it how he wants it and I doubt that he wants to trick us. One cannot grab that many eggs at once anyway and sooner or later it will become clear how many different sprites there actually are to collect.

I also don't care much if new sprites have dimorphism or not, I still collect one male one female of each and then some. It's nice if they look different but they don't have to.

What annoys me much more is that it takes forever to get them when one is not able to be online on the day they are released - and that not because they are rare or anything, but because the biomes are so booooring! No-one clicks on a regular egg (of course), so nothing's changing and you refresh the page constantly and stare at the same three eggs for hours, ready to click, bored out of your mind. It was much more exciting when one actually had to "click-fight" for them. I wish the eggs in the biomes would change more often.

I actually saw a lot in the Coast and Volcano biomes (the latter one, especially) today, but only one or two in the Alpine. I've been lurking the Alpine biome since I woke up, with a few breaks here and there, and nothing. Still got no egg from that section since this release happened.

What annoys me much more is that it takes forever to get them when one is not able to be online on the day they are released - and that not because they are rare or anything, but because the biomes are so booooring! No-one clicks on a regular egg (of course), so nothing's changing and you refresh the page constantly and stare at the same three eggs for hours, ready to click, bored out of your mind. It was much more exciting when one actually had to "click-fight" for them. I wish the eggs in the biomes would change more often.

The eggs in the biomes shuffle every 5 minutes. They don't disappear, but three different ones in that hour's bunch switch around. They do change completely at the top of the hour. So, every 5 min, you do have a chance to see them.

Edited by ainisarie