TJ09

2014-09-20 - September Release

What is their rarity?

There's no such thing really - but we cannot hope to know how easy they will be to catch later for several days yet.

Edited by fuzzbucket

blink.gif What happened to TJ's other set of pyralspites? There were 3 of each color, and now I only see one adult and one frozen hatchie? Or did he post one of each color twice to troll us?

Oh, and the adults look great, love the sprites!

I miss the dimorphism too and promise not to go on a libber-rant about it. But male animals ARE bigger than females to compete FOR the female.

I miss the dimorphism too and promise not to go on a libber-rant about it. But male animals ARE bigger than females to compete FOR the female.

Depends on the animal - toads come to my mind spontaneously, they have bigger females because they have to lay a lots of eggs.

ETA: The same is true for some fish (how could I forget that - I have a fish tank right next to me xd.png )

Edited by Ha-Ki

Depends on the animal - toads come to my mind spontaneously, they have bigger females because they have to lay a lots of eggs.

ETA: The same is true for some fish (how could I forget that - I have a fish tank right next to me xd.png )

Also, birds. Lots of bird species have larger females than males. (And I think this is also the case for some (most?) reptile species, too.)

Edited by Amazon_warrior

The adults are nice. I'm never going to remember any of their breed names, though.

The adults are so pretty! The coloring is simply amazing.

Wonderful job on them TheCompleteAnimorph! You have outdone yourself smile.gif

This, although as was also pointed out in some species that isn't the case.

Can I also point out that as far as that goes, there are examples of dragon breeds where it is explicitly stated that it is the FEMALE that is dominant ( Helffire Wyverns and Blacktips, if I recall) and the males place is to submit?

Of those the Blacktips don't really have dimorphism... and the Female H-Fire is most DEFINITELY the fiercer sprite.

The male is in sort of a defensive posture.

I can SORT of see what you mean about the Alt Black Female. However... As someone else said, she still looks like you wouldn't want to mess with her. Can't a thing be both attractive AND fierce? Besides.. we don't know the context of that image, either.

Edited by Silverswift

I thought there would be dimorphism...? Aw, I would've liked that about these ones =) Oh well, nothing I can do about it, just try and get as many of them as possible biggrin.gif

Was hoping for dimorphism as well, but I'm thoroughly pleased with these sprites. Especially the varying detail on the wings for each breed!

Well done~

This, although as was also pointed out in some species that isn't the case.

I'm going to assume that our dragons are based on lizards, in which case, often it's the female that's larger. But that aside-

I often get disappointed with the female sprites because it's always "the male is prettier to attract a female" and while that is true in certain cases, it's also Boooooring to look at the same, dull, female sprites again and again.

I'm just wishing there were prettier female sprites, or those that had more "frills" "horns" or what have you in terms of decorative features.

Might be going crazy... I was sure I had grabbed two alpine eggs and missed the coast ones, but apparently I had gotten one of each... blink.gif

Dimorphism or not... Maybe TJ is simply changing his way of playing? Maybe he simply wants two adults now, no matter if they're different or not?

I think he's allowed to have his own playing style as well.

Oh my gosh, I LOVE the adults! These are simply beautiful. Well done, TheCompleteAnimorph, and thank you, TJ, for another lovely release!

There are many animals in which the female is larger or there is no sexual dimorphism at all. There are also animals in which the female has to attract the male, and the male cares for the young.

I actually like the fact that some dragons don't have dimorphism. It works better when building mirror lineages.

Thanks TCA and Process for these sleek new additions to the cave. smile.gif I can't say I really have a favorite among them -- the colors of all three are lovely and I like that they have different wing patterns. I am also happy with the description differences for the different variants. I agree with whoever said they would never get the names straight, though. blink.gif

Has TCA told us yet about the rarity of these? ETA: Or added the more detailed 'profile' that artists sometimes do?

Edited by oddsoxdi

Dimorphism or not... Maybe TJ is simply changing his way of playing? Maybe he simply wants two adults now, no matter if they're different or not?

That is true, though then again he doesn't have to put all of his dragons into the first post. He could collect an infinite number of them and we wouldn't know.

In any case... Haha, apparently he has removed the duplicates from the first post. Wow. NOW they match the number scheme for dimorphism. laugh.gif Personally I don't mind the lack of dimorphism: I like having a mixture of dimorphic and single-sprite breeds. I tend to purebreed new dragons to Gen4, to guarantee that I have a decent collection of them. And sometimes it's nice to have a uniform lineage instead of one that's more busy.

Has TCA told us yet about the rarity of these? ETA: Or added the more detailed 'profile' that artists sometimes do?

She said something like that she never considered the rarity or made a decision, so for now only TJ knows. I haven't seen a nifty profile yet so I don't think so...

Edited by Dimar

Yeah, I don't remember offering a preferred rarity. They're probably common.

No detailed profile yet but give me a break I have school. It'll be a thing.

Did TJ ever said this is how it's going to be from now on? Your post makes it sound that way.

Soulpeaces I disagree with you - both male and female sprites look very passive to me, and the male soulpeace is in the "sexy woman" pose, which I find a great subversion.

Yeah I agree with you about the Soulpeace poses. What I was going for with the Soulpeaces was sprite size; the male sprite is significantly larger but the description says nothing about this being a species with larger males.

I do find it odd that there isn't dimorphism..

Staying on topic, I really like these dragons. You did an excellent job TCA.

Edited by RipPanther1

the male sprite is significantly larger but the description says nothing about this being a species with larger males.

Making the description of a breed stating that the male is larger is not something mandatory.

If the spriter(s) of a certain dragon want the male to be larger and not add that in the description, they most certainly have the right. Besides, when the male or female of a breed is larger/smaller, everyone can already see that, so why is it so necessary to add it in a description, as well?

Not to mention, why is everybody so against the male being larger?

In some species, sure, but it's most definitely not true of all species. Here a just a few female-dominate species:

All hyena species

Many kinds of whiptail lizards (reproduce by parthenogenesis and males don't even exist)

Most birds of prey

Many sharks (notably, Great White Sharks)

Preying Mantis

Many spiders (i.e. Black Widow)

Bonobos

Lemurs

Elephants

Orca Whales

Seahorses

Angler Fish

etc, etc., etc.