TJ09

Reducing the number of site skins

The thing I don't like about the 60's skin (though I'm using it currently, in lieu of the former default), is that crazy wood panel thing. Dino Cave is too cartoonish for my taste, though I love how the background and the scroll frame move together in sync, like the original default, and the purple is just right for absorbing light. Tried St. Pat, but it was too bright a green on my monitor and did not soothe the experience. I don't like what the Portal skins do with the sprites- what others seem to see as 'detail,' is to me, a pixelated white border that does not seamlessly blend in to the backdrop, which is also why I stopped using Blackout, though I adore the stylish layout and colors of that skin best...just not for pixel art with multiple curvy outlines, as opposed to rectangular, like a photo.

The original default backdrop and the inner frame of the new one, are best suited for showing up all the lovely work of our spriters, for the parchment color and how it absorbs the harsher details of the sprites as well as for reading text. Nakase's background is beautiful, but it moves too slowly when one has to scroll, and so the eye is kept busy in two places, and thus, folks with vision/migraine/seizure issues are affected adversely. Its design works better (but still moves slightly) on a mobile device (have tested it on all my devices, though I primarily play on my laptop, because I can't sort or catch worth a hoot on anything else). If the art were stationary, it would be different. I understand why it's not, but not everyone uses the same screen resolution or their phone/tablet to play, so if it could be coded to fit the most used resolutions, it might work better, because then it might be able to be fixed in place and still all features of it (the colorful pile of eggs in the bottom right corner for instance) could be seen, even though items in the frame would still change position as they are meant.

Two things:

a) Many of the skins I wouldn't mind, but I like to have a dark-ish background for lineages. The default is fine in this regard, so is blackout. However, the majority of skins have a white background for lineages, which is the main reason I end up dismissing them.

B) Could you make a skin that is without those big square error messages? They really bother me and now they're spreading to other skins as well. =(

Also, if any of the skins end up being removed, I would appreciate a warning in advance, so that people know beforehand if they should keep to the skin they prefer to avoid losing it.

Edited by MessengerDragon

Two things:

a) Many of the skins I wouldn't mind, but I like to have a dark-ish background for lineages. The default is fine in this regard, so is blackout. However, the majority of skins have a white background for lineages, which is the main reason I end up dismissing them.

cool.gif Could you make a skin that is without those big square error messages? They really bother me and now they're spreading to other skins as well. =(

Also, if any of the skins end up being removed, I would appreciate a warning in advance, so that people know beforehand if they should keep to the skin they prefer to avoid losing it.

I totally agree in point B and that there should be a warning ahead if a skin will be removed or never ever updated again.

Point a) I like a dark background not only for lineagages but the whole site. biggrin.gifwink.gif

ETA: I like the grey from Blackout or a similiar dark colour but please not black the contrast is too much for certain breeds. Because of the black i don't use Portal 2 and that is the only reason for me to not use Portal 2.

Edited by Tigerkralle

Dino Cave and Blackout have been retired. No warning even. =(

Somewhere in the thread, TJ said they would not be removed from a user, but that updates would not be applied to deleted skins. I don't use either of them, however, they both still show as available in my list of available skins.

ETA: Just tried changing into Blackout, and the option was accepted.

Switched back to my current skin, no problem.

Edited by dragongrrl

They are not removed from a user. But they are no longer selectable.

https://i.imgur.com/MRKhwER.png Shows what I see.

Just checked mine again, and they don't have the (retired) note at all. Maybe it will show up later, but that change doesn't show in my account settings. blink.gif

What she said. I can select them. I'm not GOING to though, in case I lose St P !

I can still select and use all of them (I'm usually on Portal Light) just fine.

It must be being rolled out or something?

I hope the blackout isn't being discontinued. I have light sensitivity and it's the only skin i can use without it hurting my eyes. If it goes I'll have to stop playing

I hope the blackout isn't being discontinued. I have light sensitivity and it's the only skin i can use without it hurting my eyes. If it goes I'll have to stop playing

If it comes to that, some of the skins on Stylish might help you - but you have to download the addon and then any site changes can screw it up. Also, never used it for DC, but it'd be better than having to leave ^^

As long as you stay on it, you'll still be able to use it.

As long as you stay on it, you'll still be able to use it.

Hope so, I'd cry if i had to leave over a disability. But looking at what Prince_Xanthius ( thanks for the assist) I may be able to even if it's removed, so yay for that

I dont use anything but the default, but what even is the point in removing skins

TJ said in the first post:

Often, testing new things on each one of those is more work than its worth,

I liked the old site layout. The simple scroll on a brown background. While the cave is pretty, it'd hard on the eyes when you scroll down because it "jumps." I have no interest in any of the other skins. I hope they bring it back. biggrin.gif

I use the default, reason being that I find the backgrounds on the others distracting and I like that the default is a little more in character. Those are my two requirements in a skin. So as long as the default stays and isn't changed dramatically, I'm not particularly fussed. I think it's good that people using the old skins are still able to if they want, though, even if they've become retired. smile.gif

I actually would like to see a few more options for both the cave AND the forum. We have only 5 (one is only a variation of another, so 4, really) currently for the cave and only 2 for the forum (simple with 2 color choices, and spring).

A little more color variety would be nice. Not everyone is into Portal, btw.

TJ said in the first post:

Often, testing new things on each one of those is more work than its worth,

More would not help anyone.

But we MUST have a vanilla one for those with slow internet or who feel nauseous with the new one moving....

I actually would like to see a few more options for both the cave AND the forum. We have only 5 (one is only a variation of another, so 4, really) currently for the cave and only 2 for the forum (simple with 2 color choices, and spring).

A little more color variety would be nice. Not everyone is into Portal, btw.

Even though that means some skins will be slower or not work as well with certain features because doing upkeep on multiple skins is a lot of work?

There was a post - earlier in this thread I think - that mentioned there are addons and browser customizations that would allow you to change scroll colors to preferred colors.

I think health reasons are a legit reason to want certain skins, but I can't see a benefit to adding skins (without removing others) just for preference. Love to hear your thoughts, though!

(I would like more forum skins, since I don't think the forum really gets upkeep that skins would be affected by? But I do like and am satisfied with the spring skin.)

Yes, a vanilla one may be good for slower computers.

But maybe, at the very least, some more color choices for the default forum one, besides blue and red?