TJ09

Reducing the number of site skins

Your post has this underlying assumption that customizing the CSS for each skin is a trivial task. The skins are architected such that CSS and images are the only differences. If I don't take the time to style new things for each skin, it'll probably work, but it'll be a pretty terrible experience. Not "caus[ing] eye-bleed" is below the bare minimum in web design.

Having read this entire thread I'm not sure where you get that impression. The vast majority of the replies don't include people who have attachment to specific skins. There are many people who use a non-default skin and would be upset if their choice of skin were removed, but only because there are specific needs that those skins serve (e.g. dark skin being easier to read, non-default skins to get around the FF background bug). There's no reason those needs have to be fulfilled by those specific designs (especially the FF bug, which seems to be the most oft-cited reason, and is getting fixed in an upcoming version of FF).

But if, for example, I removed the Dino Cave layout, I don't think it'd leave the site particularly unusable (I don't think access to bright purple color schemes is a UX necessity).

Like I said, I wasn't sure if it was the case or not. I don't think you're fool enough to try to make vastly different skins that don't share basic structure; but just on the off-chance I still suggested streamlining them, is all. I would just rather see the skins STAY and everything done to where it makes checking them easier than removing (some/none/all of) them to make it easier because it seems at least some people really enjoy them.

I'm saying "too many" because I assume there's enough people (even those NOT posting) that like their skins.

I guess it doesn't really matter, though, so long as those "needs" are met. I guess I just really really WANT the Portal 2 skin to stay because I like the layout and colors and I like Portal and yes I'll be mad to see them leave- for quite a while, I might add. But if you JUST want to base it on utmost need, then fine. Get rid of everything and only have basic skins that fulfill the needs for dark skins, something to get around the FF bug, and the default.

I was trying to show that I REALLY don't want that one skin taken away *at all*, even if I don't NEED it.

I guess I only need a dark skin then. But it also needs a blue-white-dark grey color scheme. And it needs Portal 2 references/images. Oh wait, I just need Portal 2 to stay. :P

Sorry if I'm being salty but I really do feel that strongly about it. I'm not angry at you or anything, just at the thought of my favorite skin taken away/being replaced (which you would cause :P)

Edited by edwardelricfreak

That is just the thing. I am sure that there are people tha t will be terribly upset by there favorite leavign WHICHEVER skins are done away with.

I always use the default so my opinion doesn't mean much, but I would be happy to see skins pared down, keeping accessibility options like TJ mentioned, in order for things to be more streamlined so that new things could be tested and released and/or fixed quicker. On another site recently I had been using a skin that went away, and because it wasn't an accessibility issue for me I adjusted over time and my annoyance at things changing faded, although I was pretty annoyed there at the beginning :)

I usually use the default skin. I sometimes change it just for fun. I'm perfectly fine with the skins we currently have. I don't want to loose any of the skins it's one of the few fun things on dc. I always like it when you can cusomise just not too much. One skin for each holiday would be nice. But if it's too much work it's too much work I just don't want to loose any of the fun skins that dc currently has. though the 1980 one is pretty plain

Edited by DragonO

Just so long as there is a lite skin for evah and EVAH !

Edited by fuzzbucket

I use the default skin since I am usually on a mobile device.

I checked the skins on my laptop and I do like Portal 2, the dark one. I didn't notice it before, and I like it. Switching my laptop to that one.

I could live without them if you need to trim down the number or delete them. The default is fine for me. smile.gif

I vastly prefer portal 2 light but for a change of pace I like blackout or the default.

The 1960s, dinocave, St Patrick's Day, and regular portal ones can leave without a single tear shed by me. tongue.gif

Don't see the default leaving any time soon so I'd say it's safe to say I just want portal 2 light and blackout.

Although if, like was mentioned, the gradient to black of the portal 2 one was changed, I'd probably like it better than portal 2 light.

Edit: After reviewing all of them again, I decided I like both portals.

So get rid of 1960s, dinocave, and St. Patrick's Day ones and leave 2 portals, blackout, and default. Yes good.

Edited by zaverxi

Although if, like was mentioned, the gradient to black of the portal 2 one was changed, I'd probably like it better than portal 2 light.

No please. That's one of my favorite things about it.

I'd be sad to see blackout go. It's the one I've been using for a while, but I think as long as I had a dark skin to use I would be fine. It's not something that would make me stop playing the game or something. I just prefer blackout because it's simpler and less-distracting than Portal, and I know darker skins with lighter text are good for some people with eye issues.

I have tried the other skins a few times by cycling through them, then reverting back to the Default skin because it's basically the best one that matches DragCave's personality, in my eyes. I'd prefer if that one stayed as it is.

(I still have the long-page bug with FF, but it never bothered me much since CTRL+F for the name/code I want and hovering over the approximate area of the breed link works for me. The fact that I stopped sorting my dragons has a slightly different reason: they became too many for me to process properly, with pagination that has nothing to do with the actual dragons, projects, lineages ... So don't blame that on my choice of skin!)

but what if people like having a different site skin because another hurts their eyes? I have that problem with most sites so dragon cave is really nice in that it does have options.

but what if people like having a different site skin because another hurts their eyes? I have that problem with most sites so dragon cave is really nice in that it does have options.

Yes, not every dark skin is satisfactory, imo.

Idk I like using the saint Patrick days one, I have no clue why, the light green just works behind the dragons, course I used the default for a long while and am completely fine using that one.

I don't like portal too much, having a black background behind the dragons looses some of the details and outlines of the dragons cause they fade into it.

Now just the scroll part being lighter but the rest of the page darker works like with the portal 2 ^^;

Blackout is okay since none of the darling dragons fade into the background, but you loose the scroll effect of your dragon scroll, cause there isn't a background for the 'scroll' part of it.

Dino cave is comical and cute, i like it but i don't mind if it goes lol

1960's works nice but now that i think of it, it is not very medieval if that's the time period we are going for o:

Besides the background, I prefer the ones with the headings in a row on the top to click but again that is just me.

I stick to the default skin pretty much, but having the Portal 2 skin around for sorting helps since I use Firefox almost exclusively. So I wouldn't miss any of the other skins if they got bumped. Just my two cents. biggrin.gif

I use the 1960s skin because I like the peaceful-looking hardwood layout.

I think in that case probably try to answer the question in the last paragraph of the original post - talk about what in particular there is about the skin you use that makes it good for you / what's bad about other skins for you and why you might not be satisfied with just a "light" or "dark" skin.

I switch between the portal 2 dark skin and the default skin.

I can the genders on the default, but I like how the dragons looks on the portal dark.

Edited by Nightwatcher

I use the default and blackout. Blackout helps because I have light sensitivity and the darker screen helps me see better

If you do phase them out please keep the blackout. It really helps on days I can't handle lighter coloring

I use Portal 2 and hope it stays. In fact, I'd love a skin that was pitch black. The dragons would really pop with something like that. I don't like light skins.

as i also have light sensitivity as several others seem to also have

i use portal 2 so as long as we have an option for a darker skin i dont see the problem in phasing out the uncommon ones

I only use the Portal 2 skin, and no others. Having light sensitivity sucks, but so long that there is at least one dark skin on the site helps a lot.

I use Portal 2 Light mostly, since for me its a good balance between not being too light or too dark. Portal 2 is also really nice and I'd use it if the background behind the dragons wasn't semi-transparent.

Blackout is pretty nice as well but I don't like the links being on the side so I don't use it.