TJ09

Reducing the number of site skins

How did you block it - I can probably talk you through an unblock, if you want...

Ad block on firefox, basically just right clicked and blocked the image. If you have a solution, could you PM me? I'm not that concerned about it since I won't be using the main site skin anymore which is the reason for me posting here agreeing with everyone there should be a site skin for the old one.

Agreed with most of it. Although I would prefer if the - admittedly very gorgeous - background skin would only turn up on the main page and maybe the account page(s), including the encyclopedia. Definitely not in the biomes or the AP, though. It wreaks havoc with loading times for me.

I'd love that!

The new lay-out's gorgeous indeed, but the loading issue with it evidently isn't just my problem, since so many others have it as well.

I really don't like/have trouble seeing on/find hard on the eyes all of the other skins and have always used the original default...

Of course, I just lost my connection again when I tried to post this and have also had it sometimes say it was 'limited'?! late at night just lately, (something my room-mate says she's never heard of before, either) so some of this might well be due to these issues rather than the skin.

But the Cave, including my scroll, does now load slowly/not always load all dragons even with full bars...

I am now using the 1960 skin together with AdBlock to remove the background image. I like the result very much, especially the lack of background image.

If the number of skins is reduced, please ensure that at least one of them has a simple layout and uses plain colors instead of background images.

EDIT: I had not seen the message from Wookieinmashoo. It looks like we independently found exactly the same solution. smile.gif 1960 skin + blocked background image.

Edited by Bugzilla

Hmm, I definitely don't have the loading problem everyone else is having. It's probably why I like the new skin so much, way more than the original. I'm liking the new fonts as well, though I do wonder why it changes for lineages.

1960's is too white for me to find useful, but I guess it helps other people out so there's that.

I quite like the Portal skin, TJ. More white-on-black (dark themes) would be nice. I don't mind that it hasn't gotten an update -- in fact, some people might want the option for the past layout as a skin.

With the release of the new default layout, I would like to request a skin that is nothing but a blank page with text and dragon images. I would like to choose my own background color and text color, with no background image. As long as the dragon images have a transparent background, there shouldn't be any problems.

Sometimes 'New & Improved' is NOT an improvement.

Ideally, the selected skins should provide good combinations of the following features:

Navigation:

• Large links (useful for touch screens or high resolution screens)
  • Small links (more compact, good for low-resolution screens)
  • Nice page background and scroll background images (looks pretty)
  • No background images, just plain colors (less busy, easier/faster for slower browsers)
Brightness:
  • Dark background
  • Light background
  • Medium brightness background
In addition, having different dominant colors / hues would be appreciated.

Of course, it is not necessary to have all possible combinations of these criteria. But some combinations should be available so that those who have problems with small links or with image backgrounds have at least one or two skins to choose from.

Personally I would like the old default skin to be added to my options. The new one seems to be giving me motion sickness. Not fun.

I think I will try the Adblock solution that others are posting. Or go to Blackout. It seems fairly simple and functional.

I'd also like to join the others in requesting that the old background be brought back as one of the layout options, it was simple, clean and functional.

If all the additional skins are causing a lot of extra work, I would approve reducing their number, as long as at least one of the kept skins had a minimalistic, simple design without a colorful background - such as the classic background or St. Patricks's Day.

I'd also like to join the others in requesting that the old background be brought back as one of the layout options, it was simple, clean and functional.

If all the additional skins are causing a lot of extra work, I would approve reducing their number, as long as at least one of the kept skins had a minimalistic, simple design without a colorful background - such as the classic background or St. Patricks's Day.

PLEASE keep St Patrick's day. It's the cleanest of those options up there.

I'm tossing my name into the mix of wanting the old default as an option.

I usually don't get motion sick. In fact, I very rarely get motion sick in the slightest.

But the moving background on my scroll page with the new layout I just can't do. It just. Doesn't work. I feel nauseous right now actually from it (hence why I switched to st patty's day...)

The background art is beautiful, don't get me wrong. But unless there is some sort of option of making it stationary, I won't be using it... which is extremely unfortunate because I was so super excited about having a clock and I strongly prefer a tan scroll over a green -flop-

If all the additional skins are causing a lot of extra work, I would approve reducing their number, as long as at least one of the kept skins had a minimalistic, simple design without a colorful background  - such as the classic background or St. Patricks's Day.

PLEASE keep St Patrick's day. It's the cleanest of those options up there.

I'd like the old background as an option, too, and also agree with Fuzz - the St. Patrick's Day is the one I went to so as to avoid the motion stuff.

I've always used the defeult skin and I found it almost perfect, but today I had to change to the 1960s

The new background image is really nice itself, but the contrast with the central scoll background is too high. Also I see the font like it is a bit unfocused and the moving background really makes me sick. I tried but can't stand it.

I'd really love if the old default skin could be added as a option, but if it is not possible please at least keep the 1960s one!

Hmm, I definitely don't have the loading problem everyone else is having. It's probably why I like the new skin so much, way more than the original. I'm liking the new fonts as well, though I do wonder why it changes for lineages.

1960's is too white for me to find useful, but I guess it helps other people out so there's that.

Actually, I'm so used to the sharp contrast of the 1960s skin, I find the now-defunct old default too dull in color to use.

It is, however, quite crazy to think that the old default would be discarded entirely like this, when there are a bajillion of non-essential skins that don't fit with the theme of the site whatsoever. If the site really has to reduce the amount of skins, it is in my opinion that the non-immersive ones like Portal, Blackout and Dino Cave have to go first.

Adding my support for bringing back the old default as a skin. The art on the new one is very pretty, and I like the built-in clock, but...

* Something in the page width changed, making speed-refreshing an egg's view page weird and laggy unless I mess around with my browser window size. (Yes, this is important >_> )

* The new background makes loading in general longer

* The new font is much smaller and harder to see

* The main navigation links (Cave, Account, Dragons, etc.) are much smaller and out of the way, making them somewhat harder to get to

For some reason the new default also seems to have made the image-broken-on-refresh problem much worse. Now, pretty much every other refresh breaks at least one badge or egg image, requiring a reload to see properly.

Actually, I'm so used to the sharp contrast of the 1960s skin, I find the now-defunct old default too dull in color to use.

It is, however, quite crazy to think that the old default would be discarded entirely like this, when there are a bajillion of non-essential skins that don't fit with the theme of the site whatsoever. If the site really has to reduce the amount of skins, it is in my opinion that the non-immersive ones like Portal, Blackout and Dino Cave have to go first.

I am going to agree with this, at least in part.

BEFORE the new skin came out I was using 1960s as I had decided that the old default was too drab and bland for my liking. HOWEVER! IF some people prefer a minimalist style, then I see no reason why the old default... or St. patricks Day... couldn't be an option.

Add me to the list of players who would like to have the old default as an option. I greatly prefer it to the other skins, and though the new background art is gorgeous, I have eye problems that make the old default much easier for me.

Throwing in my lot with the people requesting the old skin be made available. The new layout, while

pretty, is hurting my eyes trying to focus between the background and foreground images, and gave

me a headache before I finally switched the the 1960s skin.

Edited by omgitskairi

I am going to agree with this, at least in part.

BEFORE the new skin came out I was using 1960s as I had decided that the old default was too drab and bland for my liking. HOWEVER! IF some people prefer a minimalist style, then I see no reason why the old default... or St. patricks Day... couldn't be an option.

Of those still available, St Patrick's is THE one that really does the business. If not that for some reason, that with the colouring taken out would be OK. But the others are too "trendy" for medieval times.

Please keep the old default skin as a permanent option.

I would switch to the classical skin if it becomes available. It is the best color/contrast option for me. I have so much trouble with the new skin I'll have to use the 1960s for now.

Of those still available, St Patrick's is THE one that really does the business. If not that for some reason, that with the colouring taken out would be OK. But the others are too "trendy" for medieval times.

On my monitor, the St Patrick's comes up painfully bright - apparently the brightness cannot be adjusted on this screen, which seems odd - but I find the other skins difficult to see or quite painful.

The default was the only one that worked for me and I think it's unfortunate that it's just gone, although the artwork is so mind-boggling I'd love it to be anywhere that it didn't affect refreshing/egg visibility.

I wonder if these lagging effects are appearing specifically on wireless - is anyone having serious lag issues on cable supplied internet?

Edit: would like to say that I particularly love the 'dragon's leg' appearance on the stone pillars, just WONDERFUL artwork!

Edited by Syphoneira

Interesting point - as you know, Sy, I am on radio connection (rather than "wireless" as such - it isn't a PHONE signal.)

I love the art; I now have it as my desktop background - where it stays still xd.png

I really love Blackout, because i can see details like the snowflakes blowing around the legs and the tail of the Frostbites.

Portal 2 Light would be the skin of my choice, but there are no snowflakes around my Frostbites...

The only reason i see for so many users disliking Blackout is that the navigation links for the site are not on top, like it is for all other skins out there.

I want the old default as an option.

Want to keep blackout but can you rearrange the links on the top? I really like to have more fans for Blackout.

Keep both Portal versions because Portal! Portal 2 is a little bit too busy for me and in Light there are no snowflakes around my Frostbites.

And then mayby keep Dinocave because Dinocave. wink.gif

As for me get rid of all the other skins.

@TJ

Mayby the majority don't use any other skin then default because they do not now that there exist any other skin then default. rolleyes.gif

Mayby a big hint under Help made this clear for all users.

Edited by Tigerkralle

I think I mentioned it before. I use the blackout because I have a light sensitivity and the black really helps me see when I can barely stand the light to start with.

PLEASE KEEP IT

I liked the old default skin just fine...Right now I'm using the St. Patty's Day one, so I hope it stays!